The Golden Wind

TheRudeDude7
Drug Lord

The Golden Wind

Post by TheRudeDude7 »

A bit further out west, two warlords had a plan.
For a long time, they had been under the thumb of the Han Fu. Despite Han Fu's immense power, it was clear that he was a bad ruler. He had no spine. Due to this, their locations had been suffering from bandit raids for quite some time. They often came to Han Fu and asked for reinforcements, but to no avail.
Now that the time was right, they had the chance to enact their vengeance on their uncaring overseer. He was weak, and they had the power to consolidate their troops.
Over the course of the next year, they planned to grow their power and eventually usurp Han Fu from his throne.

Xinxing and Tai are currently gathered in Taiyuan, plotting to take over their weaker neighbors.
paladinrpg
Major

Re: The Golden Wind

Post by paladinrpg »

♫ In the Shadows

The 'golden wind' of Taiyuan that blew from the west down the mountains one day began to change direction, bringing with it a feeling of ill omen. It was about that time that from this same direction came what appeared at first to be a slight woman, unaccompanied by retinue, dressed in the bright, yet faded regalia of a civil administrator. However, bits of said attire also seemed unusual... several beads and wraps were those usually seen in funerary attire for the dead. Her skin and hair was indeed of a very deathly palor, perfumed as it was also by the earthy smells of a tomb and the herbs of preparing a body for burial. The visitor's movement was not smooth as she advanced with a slight limp/hop in one leg, a fact that this woman could easily be mistaken for a corpse walking.

"Where is the brave man... who would challenge the coward, Han Fu...?" asked the stranger, her voice that was once smooth & silky now laden with a slight dry rasp. "I, magistrate Jiang Shi... request an audience with him." Her forward stare at the gatekeepers from faded brown eyes was eerily beautiful, somewhat unnerving... and very hard to resist.
TheRudeDude7
Drug Lord

Post by TheRudeDude7 »

As the sickly woman approached the gates, one of the guards gave her a look of disgust.
"You? Request an audience? Surely you must be joking."
The man sighed and shook his head.
"At the very least, you are allowed in the city. Depsite the formalities, Tai Yuan is a kind man, who did his best to protect us during our times of struggles. Maybe he'll allow himself to speak to someone of... your stature."
With that, the gates were opened into the town.
paladinrpg
Major

Post by paladinrpg »

Jiang Shi initially sneered slightly at their looks of disdain, the corner of her mouth wrinkling against ivory cheekbones. "It would be unwise to judge me so quickly, guardsmen, as just some poor fool throwing themselves your door..."

As the creak of the gate finally opened, she gave them a slow bow of the head. The show of authority that her self-claimed station would impose, even if all she ruled over seemed like a hole in the earth. "Pitying me, now...? How quaint. Isn't it written how heroes that have changed history often come at first penniless and in rags... hmm? I do hope the esteemed Tai Yuan has eyes that see a little deeper than the surface... lest he miss a most serious proposition I am to deliver."

The mysterious lady visitor wasted no more time with the guards and made her way into the city proper, slowly but surely with her erratic gait. Her dark presence in the city was certain to attract onlookers, though many of the citizens who were aware of the superstitions were careful to gave Jiang Shi a wide berth as crossing her path could likely bring an ill-fate. This ended up carving an amazingly clear path down what was otherwise a very busy and chaotic thoroughfare right up to the central governmental pavilion.
TheRudeDude7
Drug Lord

Post by TheRudeDude7 »

Tai Yuan entered the throne room, scroll in hand.
"Messenger, quick. Relay these plans to Xinxing. We're ready to make our move."
After handing the paper to one of his soldiers, another guard suddenly approached him.
"Master Yuan, there is a woman at the palace door who says she wants to see you. She looks rather... putrid. Would you like to bring some guards with you?"
Tai sighed.
"No, I'll be fine. I'll deal with the woman myself. She probably wants food or maybe some coin." Even though he would rather not deal with her, Yuan was understanding. The common folk were suffering right now, and it was his duty to help them.
With that, Yuan approached the front of the castle and greeted the woman, a warm smile on his face. "Hello? How may I help you?"
paladinrpg
Major

Post by paladinrpg »

The ragged, yet fancily dressed magistrate put her hands together in her wide sleeves and bowed her head this time in a more proper, respectful greeting. Her smile was sincere, if her aura was a bit... off. "Ah, at last I can finally meet you, honored Tai Yuan. I am magistrate Jiang Shi, and I have come far to share my tale, if you would have ears to listen."

The woman's faded eyes focused upon the leader of the city, as she spoke in that charming, yet cracked tone. "I know it may not appear as so, but I was once the wife of an Imperial-appointed administrator of Mingqi, a prosperous, unassuming town along a trade route between here and the city of Ye. We paid tribute to Han Fu, sending grain and taxes to fill his well-known storehouses and coffers. But when a marauding legion from Dong Zhuo's forces threatened to raid our settlement, we sent messengers begging Lord Han to send relief..."

The beautiful features faded into an even more deathly, dark palor as Lord Tai could feel the anger now seething under Lady Jiang's skin. "But despite our faithful service... he sent us nothing but empty words of encouragement. No soldiers came to our local garrison's aid. Our offices were ransacked, our estates burned, and my husband and I slaughtered like dogs. Our loyalty which we had prized was ground into dust under the heels of an era of chaos, as he sat safely in his stronghold with a clear conscience."

Jiang Shi tried to compose herself, even as her dark, menacing aura remained. "That is why... when I heard of one who was willing to stand up to Han Fu, who understood the true nature of this warlord I once called master, I had to come. Lord Tai Yuan... I truly seek nothing but justice for all those who have been abandoned by this spineless coward, who is not fit to rule even the grave he will lie in when I am done!"

One of the woman's cold hands now reached out from the sleeves of her robe, its nails somewhat long and sharp. "Don't be deceived... though I come alone, there is a legion in the shadows behind me, which could prove very useful to your... no, our... noble cause, the overthrow of the Ye regime."
TheRudeDude7
Drug Lord

Post by TheRudeDude7 »

After hearing her story, all of his preconceptions of her immediately vanished. Despite their vast difference in appearance, Tai Yuan had found another one who had suffered at the hands of Han Fu. She was no common beggar.
Yet, he had his reservations about her. There was a chance that she wasn't who she said she was. Maybe a spy, or an assassin of sorts. No possibility could be ruled.
Yuan's warm smile disappeared, and he assumed a more calculating look.
"My lady, I thank you for your offer in aid. I sympathize with your hatred for Han Fu. But, with such a dangerous climate, and cannot let just anybody come assist me. Han Fu has his connections."
The implications behind that statement were clear.
"If you were to do something for me, however, I might be more inclined to team up with you. If you could bring us 300 troops to our aid, that would prove to be sufficient.
Or, possibly, bring me 400 gold in order to pay for more mercenary support.
Or, if you know a blacksmith, bring me a stronger sword. I do need one, as my old rusty one is falling apart."
Yuan stared into the eyes of the magistrate, trying to read her reaction to his requests.

(OOC: Bring the Golden Wind 300 troops, 400 gold, or a +2 might weapon in order to win the favor of the Golden Wind.)
paladinrpg
Major

Post by paladinrpg »

The eyes of Jiang Shi were cold orbs set in her alabaster face, perhaps in their heyday they once held warmth.. but the tragedy of the past had drained much of that away, sadly. "You are right to require a test of me. As we both well know, trust is a currency that is not so easily given away... and quickly lost by those who do not deserve it." She sighed heavily, but put on more of the smile for her host. "But if it is bodies on the battlefield that you lack, I can easily rectify that."

The mysterious woman palmed her necklace and grasped it firmly, mumbling faintly. "Mmm... Yes... by the time that the sun sets this day, go and set out for a walk to your garrison, Lord Tai Yuan. When you arrive, I promise that your barracks will be newly flush with willing recruits to the cause... all in all 15 scores strong, and seasoned in battle. Perhaps then you will know that my cause truly is your own."

(OOC: Jiang Shi gifts 300(49) troops to The Golden Wind for their favor!)
paladinrpg
Major

Post by paladinrpg »

The wind of summer's first warmth blew through the streets of the city, licking the plants that were beginning to bloom. However in one spot before the doors of the audience halls cast a dim shadow, as a familiar gaunt figure seemed to be ever so slowly sucking what seemed like the life out of the earth beneath her shoes. The guards could have sworn she was not there a moment ago... was it a trick of the sun's glare? Or some strange sorcery?

Either way, the administrator-turned-warlord Jiang Shi held an official sealed scroll in her sleeve as she bowed with a dignified, yet stilted bow. "Good day to you. I have returned with another gift for you master, Lord Tai Yuan, if he would be so kind to honor his ally with his presence..."

Her voice that was raspy and stuttered before, seemed to have definitely gotten stronger and distinctly sweeter now. Were it not for the aroma of the moist earth still about her alabaster countenance, one would definitely find its melody alluring... perhaps not unlike that of a siren calling an adventurous hero to a certain doom.