The North-West Alliance

lamethyst44
New Recruit

Re: The North-West Alliance

Post by lamethyst44 »

Zhong hand not taken into account that his unfortunate accident could have been heard, rather than seen, though there was no time to blush at the thought of someone being drawn here by the simple sound of his passing wind..though a silent chuckle could not be helped. Keeping is eyes on the figure that arrived with a small cart, the Great Bear marveled at the scholarly man's lack of judgement, fear or simple naivety of not analyzing such a place before coming here. 'I do not know this area well, I am from the south. Though, if you come across one, point me in his direction.'

His eyes still transfixed on the person continuously carving in silence, no doubt more a spectator than a participant..well, that would change. The large frame moved a little and came close to craftsman. 'Such talent to carve something from broken pieces, very advantageous of you.' Zhong moved to take a sit open a piece of the broken trunk, then hesitated reminding himself of how the tree was felled in the first place....his weight. 'What will you make?..if you do not mind me asking' Such a question had no real time to be considered when another voice came into the fray..Zhong would never have thought that his little incident would bring such an interest, perhaps this was more of a quiet village where nothing really happened..though a swift glance would provide the answer, people were far too desperate to feed their families and themselves to care about little distractions. A sigh left the Giant Bear's lips as he thought of the toils that came with poverty..those in their palaces and grand halls would never truly understand the plight this land experiences.

This voice was different, it had strength in it..authority. Perhaps the villagers had gossiped about the strangers that had appeared in their desolate village and reached the local militia. He did not seem to be on the offensive, though Zhong knew that any situation could turn with the swiftness of a predatory bird.

'My village'

It rang in his head, he was right..word had reached the 'Lord', or equivalent..this could go either way. For some reason, the Great Bear could not fathom himself, but he chose to clasp his hands together in front of his large chest and bow in salutations to the village leader..teachings of his days as a solider in the militia, those with rank deserved and, most times that not, demanded respect. The movement was executed rather elegantly for a man of such size. 'I apologise if I had caused some commotion. I was...' Looking sheepishly from the fallen tree to the leader again, unsure of how really to put into serious terms that he tried to de-root a tree in his jurisdiction. '..heh..' Fortunately the conversation was moved forward by the mention of possible employment, it was not hidden that Zhong was in need of new armour. Looking around, the large man nodded in acknowledge to the plights of the village. 'Indeed, it seems there is much needed here. I gave the only supplies I had to some children...and a dog...' Stepping forward and away from the craftsman, the Great Bear's focus was no on the village leader. 'It seems aid has not been sent here for some time, or at all..' He knew the ruling Empire would not care for such minor villages or people they would see more as a burden than their own..it was also a futile question as Zhong knew the answer would be a resounding no, or possibly the village leader would merely laugh at the thought of anyone sending this village 'aid'.
mercurian
Ensign

Post by mercurian »

Sun Zhong, Fei Lai, and Tso-lin Tuoba

The boy continued to finish the carving of the small human sculpture when he noticed the two people stopped talking to each other. He then glanced towards their direction, and then he noticed that his eyes met with those of the large person as the latter walked towards him. The person seemed to be taken notice of what he was carving as he then sat beside him. As the person then noted about him being very advantageous making something out of broken pieces, he then replied, "So you have noticed? You have a really keen eye to match your great strength." Indeed, he was carving a human figurine out of a broken piece of wood, a broken table leg to be exact. "Indeed, I am trying to make beautiful and useful things out of whatever that can be used to make them, even if the materials could be considered worthless. Isn't that how life should be, doing the best thing that could be done out of whatever the lot that we are dealt with? My mother taught me that when I was still young." He then smiled, and then looked at the sculpture he had made. Although the bottom bore the truth of what kind of wood he was sculpting with, the top part was a detailed clothed bust of a middle-aged woman bearing the same serene smile as the boy.

Not long after the boy finished talking to the other person, another person came towards them. This time he knew the person by name, for he is no other than Tso-lin Tuoba, the leader of the village. Although he had always seen the leader in person as he was coming here periodically in search for good wood, he had not expected this development. As the leader asked if they were looking for employment, the boy, after greeting the leader, replied, "I am just venturing within this area as I always did, the reason being my current employment as a craftsman in a trading company. I don't dare think of myself as fitting in any governmental job anyways, being of barbarian blood and an illiterate one at that."
TheRudeDude7
Drug Lord

Post by TheRudeDude7 »

"Aid? From this empire? Surely you jest." chuckled Tso-lin.
"No, right now, it's a matter of survival of the fittest. Nobody will help anybody else in the current state of things. As you all may have noticed, things aren't going well for us. For months now, the Red Dragon Confederation have been cutting off our food trade from the South and keeping it for themselves. The Touba Tribe had been nothing but friendly to those swine, and this is how they repay us. The bastards."
Tso-lin paused for a second, his friendly demeanor quickly turning sour.
"They'll starve us out soon, and it seems they don't have plans to alleviate our hunger. We're planning to make moves in the next couple of months - not that it'll help, anyway."
Another pause.
"If only we could win the support of a stronger warlord. By my estimates, I'd say the Red Dragons need to be down by 300 men in order for us to make a feasible move on them.
Not only that, but we're also under-armed. We'd need about 400 arms in order to at least stand a chance against the upcoming force.
Or, if we cannot win the battle, maybe some food to feed our people. I'd say about 400 units of gold would be enough to buy nutrition for the village.
On the other hand, if we attracted too many strong warlords to us, we'd have to push them away. The tribe would just become a puppet if too many powerful forces descended on us. I think I'm bargaining I'm only willing to work with one person of that type anyway.
But in the end, this is all wishful thinking. I hope you all enjoy your time here, whatever the purpose is, warrior, barbarian, or scholar alike."

(OOC: The first person to complete any of the following tasks will win the favor of the Touba Tribe: A. Take down 300 men from the Red Dragon Confederation by any means solo, whether it be by aiding in battles, assassination, or waging battles all by yourself. B. Bring 400 gold to the Touba Tribe. C. Bring 400 arms to the Touba Tribe. Support will grant access to troop, gold, and arm loans, and will pave the way to joining the North-West Alliance.
Phailak
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Phailak »

Lai seemed about ready to make several proposals at different times while the Lord addressed them, yet nothing came forth.

Raising the index of his right hand to suggest he may have something to say and opening his mouth ever slightly, all he managed was to take in a breath.

Bending his head slightly in disappointment, he hoped the bead of sweat he felt trickle down his forehead was not visible...

As he had done his whole life, he would remain silent until addressed and pray another opportunity would not pass him by.
lamethyst44
New Recruit

Post by lamethyst44 »

Zhong listened intently as the village leader gave out his instructions for aid..taking on 300 men as a single being would be a challenge for even the most experienced warrior, those who wished for an easy death would do such a thing..though, executed correctly it could not be out of reach. The Great Bear looked to the young boy who was whittling away at the wood, making what seemed to be some kind of woman..perhaps the story about his mother teaching him such a lesson had still stuck with him..maybe the woman he fashioned out of the wood was the very woman who taught him so much. That boy though meager could probably lull the large group of men into a trap, though a straight on assault..that young boy would be tender meat to them..meat.. Zhong's stomach rumbled, wishing he had saved at least half of a steamed bun for himself. '..hmm..' His glance was then to the scholar who oddly raised his hand, as if he were a mere child with a mentor wishing to speak..though no audible sound came from his lips. This man would not last on a field of battle, so felling a small contingent of men would be impossible, the mere breeze from an autumn gust would crush him. 'A single warrior against 300 men?..trained soldiers of a Confederation?..that would not be an easy task.'

Zhong looked to the sky. '400 gold is quite a large sum for mere travelers to come by.' Looking around the large frame shuffled, taking in that it could possibly need more to save this hamlet..though even such an amount would give them hope. 'Yet..these people..they need help.' Then the Great Bear remembered that the scholar raised his hand to speak, yet did not utter a word. 'However...three is better than one person, surely. Strength..' Zhong's hands brushed over his stomach, identifying his own natural brute strength. 'Mind.' A hand elegantly, surprisingly, gestured towards the scholar. 'Stealth' The same hand trailed to the boy carving away at the wood.

Shifting again, he turned full on to the scholar..he may not have wished to speak, or lacked the confidence too..so it would be up to someone to make him speak. 'What say you, you looked as if you wished to speak. What wisdom can you partake?'
Phailak
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Phailak »

Lai took a breath of horror though his eyes betrayed the mask of panic his features drew.

"I..." but the words would not seem to come.

Looking from the boy to the Lord that he was sure didn't have time for this, Lai felt shame.

He turned around as if courage could be found that way and was surprised at the words escaping his anxious prison.

"I have men waiting for me in a camp north of here..."

It was folly.

"Gathering men is actually quite easy, the ones waiting for me took less than one month of conscription and they haven't even met me yet."

As the words fell out, they gathered in a storm of thoughts he assaulted them with. He barely breathe between sentences from both excitement and fear.

"I could show you my big friend and even the young one how to do so. I know how we can get weapons and armor for them, gold, supplies. I know where to find men of talent to help us, all quite easy really..."

Touching his right temple with his right index finger, he continued with a flood of ideas.

"I noticed on my way here to the east a fork in the road with dense trees perfect for an ambush. To the south we could also set up a small cavalry unit to break their flanks. Of course, we would have to lure them here using a small militia unit..."

Turning yet still away from their gazes, he pointed.

"Our reinforcements would wait there, look at that niche, it is perfect."

In his joy, he forgot and turned back to their astonished looks and fell silent, casting his gaze to the ground and slumping his shoulders as if bracing against a powerful gust of rebuke that was sure to come.

OOC: yeah each player gets some resources each month, we could pool those and even recruit others and make quick work of these fools
lamethyst44
New Recruit

Post by lamethyst44 »

The large man watched as it seemed him forcing the floor to this man opened a form of metaphorical flood gate..keeping up was a challenge though it seemed all good, following his gestures to good vantage points..it seemed that this man knew the logistics and surroundings of a battlefield; a tactician no-doubt. A smile came upon Zhong's face as he saw the wind leave the scholar, looking to the ground as if he spoke out of line. '..Impressive..'

Stepping forward the girth loomed towards the scholar. 'It could work...we would need bait.' A chuckle. Turning the Great Bear gestured towards the craftsman. '..would such a young and meager looking man not be perfect?..they would see him as easy prey, surely with a swift taunt they would come running.' Walking around the scholar, Zhong attempted to build suspense..though it was obvious he was not truly caring if it was created. 'Then, as his swift and agile frame leads them into position..' The clunk of his heavy amour as the limbs carried his vast weight towards the other side of the fallen tree. With a swift movement Zhong lifted his large leg and proceeded to slam it to the ground for effect..there was a slight rumble followed by a large cracking sound as the rest of the trunk became crushed by the mighty hoof. '..there they shall be meet by me.' Zhong could not help but laugh, if they could in fact pull this off it would not only be amusing but surely this Red Dragon Confederation would take notice..though it would not bring attention to the village or their leader, but of the strange 'bandits'..no doubt that would be their name. If there was an attack from a group of no affiliation, that was the usual alias people threw at them.. 'What do you think young boy?....Scholar?' Moving his large frame he approached the cunning tactician, today was quite auspicious indeed..perhaps these two could become unlikely friends and allies. Siding up to the scholar, Zhong slapped him on the back in encouragement and adoration..forgetting the strength behind being thumbed by one of his vast paws. 'You are quite the clever one.' Another laugh and not waiting for the reaction of his pounding hand resounding on the scholar's back. 'Tell me, what's your name?..' Glance towards the craftsman. 'And you, lad..What name do you go by?' The thought of gaining his own men was quite tantalizing, he was always the soldier..the muscle..he had always dreamed of having a contingency of warriors to call his own...

(OOC: Bring it on!... THIS..IS....SPARTA....well...THE NORTH-WEST ALLIANCE.... - doesn't have the same ring to it. Hah!)
mercurian
Ensign

Post by mercurian »

Sun Zhong, Fei Lai, Tso-lin Tuoba

As the boy then heard the leader speak about his predicament, a strange sensation welled down his entire being. Indeed, he saw some people trying to ambush him while he was on his way here. He swiftly took care of them with the precise movements of his jian, but even he knew that if there had been more of them in the area, it would spell trouble for him; and certainly, as the leader talked about the harassment towards the food traders coming from the south, it would seem that it was a concerted effort to starve the villagers here. So much for him just wishing to live a quiet life, now he couldn't even leave this place without any worry. Not to mention that the villagers here, although he did not speak with them much during his frequent forays to here, seemed like a family to him.

"300 soldiers, huh..." a small muttering could be heard from his lips. He knew that he could take on four bandits at once, but 300, of soldiers certainly picked from the strongest and most stout-minded of them all...

As he pondered on those words, finally he heard the scholarly-looking person talk about how to gather people into an orderly army. The prospect seemed as if it was a godsent opportunity to him, as of course he himself could not battle 300 people, much less fight a whole thousand at the very least and hope that he can whittle their numbers down by 300. If the person were to teach the basics, he would try to absorb every teaching that he could provide.

The scholar then prattled about the general idea of how to deal with the people that tried to barricade the food supply of the village. It consisted of him luring the enemy force into an ambush that could disconcert the enemy even when their force is larger than them three combined. It seemed like a sound plan to him, although a thought occurred to him on what if he met an overzealous commander that would try to hunt down the opposing commander, which meant himself.

"...I guess I am on board with the idea." The boy finally stated his opinion on the matter. "In the extreme case that the enemy commander goes for my head, I will have to meet him in battle. I really do not like fighting too much..." He then rested his right hand on the jian sheathed on his belt. He looked like he's slightly frowning, but his blue eyes held an unyielding determination. "But if I were to fight, I will not lose to anyone. For me, it is a matter of who stays alive in the end."

As the hulking person then asked for their names, he quickly replied, "Zhengzong Yi, styled Rixiang. Together let us end this wanton disregard for the populace."
Phailak
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Phailak »

Fei Lai listened intently, nodding or tilting his head when unsure.

"I am Fei Lai of Jiang Xia."

Nodding to their plans, he waited for someone else to take initiative on next steps.
lamethyst44
New Recruit

Post by lamethyst44 »

Rixiang..Fei Lai..names the Great Bear will remember, this would be a true test to see if they had a future together..though no doubt they were all subconsciously using each other to meet their own means.. Zhong clasped his hands in front of his chest in a quick salute as they introduced themselves and could not help but chuckle at hearing the scholar's birthplace..Jiang Xia. A place he had been before, though briefly..this man was the closest Southern he had come across in the far North, though Jiang Xia would probably not be considered as the 'south'. 'I am Sun Zhong, though I have been known as Weixiong most of my life.' He did not wait for the question about where the name 'Great Bear' came from, no doubt it was quite clear looking at the man.

'Master Fei...you seem to know this area well, so we may rely on you for this. You say you already have a contingency of men camped, how many in number and are they trained?..or are they a simple band of militia?' Zhong was sure they would not be trained for anything more than an easy skirmish or raid, the scholar did not seem the type to get involved in the training of soldiers..he looked barely able to pick a sword from the ground. Before Fei could answer, he turned to face the young man..his concerns were well backed..being taunted by someone of such age even a private would be enraged to teach him a lesson and simply see red. Placing his hand on his chin, the large man thought to himself. 'You could be right Rixiang. Perhaps you are better to lay in ambush? Your swiftness could the trick to cause chaos among them.' Turning he looked ahead. 'I shall be the bait. Many see a panda, forgetting even they have claws.' Nodding to himself, it was clear this opporunity that had come before them was exciting him..it had been some time since he had seen any form of battle, being a replacement ox was not as thrilling as it sounds and it would finally be for a good cause - the safety of the village and securing some form of supplies for them so they had a chance at a future...that's what they needed, hope, and they could be the ones to give it to them. The large man turned his attention back to the scholar of Jiang Xia. 'Master Fei, you mentioned you knew where we could find able bodied men, where would this be?.. If they are inexperienced does not matter, I can train them..and no doubt you can aid with logistics of the battlefield while our young sir here can no doubt teach them the art of evasion.' Stopping in his tracks, Zhong kept his eyes on the young Rixiang, an idea formulating. 'Master Fei...what do you know of this Confederation..their numbers..strength?..perhaps we may need to scout?'