Book Discussion

Moderator: Game Masters

KDS
Lord

Post by KDS »

Wait, did that actually happen in real life? I always thought that it was Luo pulling another one of his things again.
Xiang Zhuang
Marquis

Post by Xiang Zhuang »

Kyung Dae-Seung wrote:Wait, did that actually happen in real life? I always thought that it was Luo pulling another one of his things again.
I'm pretty sure that's historically accurate. And yeah, Cao Cao does have comments in The Art of War. Some are interesting, but I found him to be the least interesting contributer compared to the others.
Fáng Ai (防哀) hao Aishī (皚獅, White Lion), Duke of Yan (Yan Gong)
101*.87*.44.78.39
Dash I, Gongshu II, Jianshu II, Smith II, Trainer II, Wall II

Sim Turn Length Analysis - Last Updated 4.06
Bonaparte
Marshal

Post by Bonaparte »

I also hate staring at a screen for reading. Paper text is far better reading.
Deng Yue, 40
51-46-50-78-80*
Military Administrator II, Civil Administrator II, Diplomat II, Politician II
Items: Horse (+1 Speed, E), Ring of Changsha (+3 Charisma, E)
ann
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ann »

My ebook is actually really great for reading. It's backlit and the text is still paginated. The reader itself is the size of a paperback and can be held easily in one hand. Nice. I don't like reading on computer screens that much.
Mogwai
General

Post by Mogwai »

My Art of War has no commentary by Cao Cao, but there is a few interviews and conversations with an Emperor of Wu, and some of his talkings. He has this formation, named the Eight Divisions, he discusses and it's very fascinating.
KDS
Lord

Post by KDS »

Are there any contemporary records or journals of the Qin and Han?
Zhu Wenshao
Ensign

Post by Zhu Wenshao »

I find On War to be very flawed. Some of Clausewitz's ideas and theories are good, but the majority of it seem to be faulty. The Art of War is decent, but usually it repeats the same main ideas instead of introducing new ones. The whole idea of the Art of War is to take out your enemy the best you can without direct violence. But, as we all know that can very rarely be done, so I think it leaves you hanging if you were in a conflict.
Zhu Wenshao, styled Longshajiao (Moon-struck Dragon)
Gold: 250
80-23-96*-81*-38

Pi Xie's Treatise on Pi Xie (+4 Int, +1 Jdg)

Field Advisor II, Doctor II, Confuse II, Muddle II, Delay
Kymvir Raemiz
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Kymvir Raemiz »

Kyung Dae-Seung wrote:Are there any contemporary records or journals of the Qin and Han?
The only one in English I know of is Burton Watsen's three-volume partial translation of Sima Qian's Histories. There are other translations out there, but they aren't in print still.

It is a really well-done translation though.
Zhu Wenshao
Ensign

Post by Zhu Wenshao »

What I hate most about the Art of War is how it overshadows all the other military texts of its age. Some say it gained is popularity because it was very universal, but with that same state of mind so is most other similiar texts. I began reading Sun Pin's Military Methods; Sun Pin is ofcourse, Sun Tzu's great grandson, and also a cripple (I think he was born without legs). But still he has Sun Tzu's wisdom. The more I read the Military Methods the more I think that Sun Pin is actually more knowledgable and understanding than Sun Tzu. The Art of War is a good text, but using that alone is very faulty. I encourage everyone to read more texts other than just the Art of War as they are more enjoyable, and from my experience, more helpful too. Ralph D. Sawyer translates a lot of these texts and publishes them. He has many Chinese translated books out (I have his version of Art of War, Essence of Warfare, The Tao of Warfare, and Military Methods) he is a very intelligent man. His commentary his utmost astounding at how greatly he contributes with his own ideas and how he manages to interpret even the hardest of texts. He even has one book, Fire and Water, contributed all to the Naval arts of early Chinese civilization, and from what I have read from it, it is unmatched in other naval texts.

The other military text I have a big problem is On War by Clausewitz. I don't know how it got such consideration. I merely picked up the book last night and began reading some of his passages to see what a foolish man he is. For weather, he merely stated "Weather doesn't effect battle except for fog." that along is wrong on many levels, it is almost pure stupidity.
Zhu Wenshao, styled Longshajiao (Moon-struck Dragon)
Gold: 250
80-23-96*-81*-38

Pi Xie's Treatise on Pi Xie (+4 Int, +1 Jdg)

Field Advisor II, Doctor II, Confuse II, Muddle II, Delay
Choso
Coral Serpent

Post by Choso »

Anybody read the Book of five rings by Miyamoto Musashi? I just started and finished with the Earth Scroll.