Favorite Books or Series!

Moderator: Game Masters

Lurking Tyranny
The Florentine Admin
The Florentine Admin
Location: "When you play the game of thrones, you win or you die. There is no middle ground."

Post by Lurking Tyranny »

I really love the Song of Ice and Fire by George R. R. Martin and recently he has become my favorite fiction author. I had leaned away from fantasy for a while, but his realistic and gritty tale has brought me back and allowed me to realize why I loved fantasy to begin with. It definately has elements of tolkien, though I think his style focuses far more on the characters. All his characters are beautifully detailed and he makes them come alive.

I finished a Feast for Crows and am anxiously awaiting more.

I am also a fan of Turtledove, though i've grown a little tired of how he doesn't take any risks with diverting history. He tends to divert history in such a matter that more or less the same type of events happen as do in our history. It becomes a little frustrating. I really recommend his stand alone book "Ruled Britannica" though.

An old classic that I lost, but still remember fondly is THE GAMESTER WARS trilogy by William R. Forstchen. The three books or novella's were: The Alexandrian Ring, The Assassin Gambit, and The Napoleon Wager. I got them all together in one book. Really entertaining science fiction with a slight appeal to those who love history.
GMNPC's
Fan Zeng, Prime Minister of Chu

Player Character
Gu Hama of Ba

Liu Bang then asked Han Xin, who had served under Xiang Yu but was driven out, "what is Xiang Yu's weakness? Is there a way to defeat him?" Han Xin calmly replied, "No, Xiang Yu himself is invincible, he is destined to be king."
Unchained Phoenix
Colonel

Post by Unchained Phoenix »

Has anyone else read Battle Royale? It's like an orgasm for the mind. :D
Puyang Shuang (19) 60-45-114*-43-80*
Aid II, Confuse I, Decoy I, Deride II, Entangle I, Jeer I, Scout II, Scribe II
7986 (100) Troops
547g

Followers: Hua Gongming, Yuan Man
RuffRydeR
Little Lady Xia

Post by RuffRydeR »

Hmm...right now, I'm currently reading Saga of the Seven Suns...(a seven book series, and I believe the last one comes out this year)

I'm still slightly unnerved by the gaining psychic powers via castration part of it, but hey, it could be a worse thought if I was a guy (and alien), so hee hee...

But yeah, the rest of it is a dandy. That's just stunning, how you manage to come up with such a complex place as that, eh? =P
Lei Anshui (21), Chief Aide
53-108*-34-81-78
Challenge I, Gongshu II, Haste II, Intimidate II, Yueshu II
Luo Xiao
Lieutenant

Re: Favorite Books or Series!

Post by Luo Xiao »

Kymvir Raemiz wrote: - George R. R. Martin's Song of Ice and Fire Series
The best fantasy series ever. By killing main characters on a fairly regular basis, including both villains *and* heroes, Martin has created a story that avoids so many cliches and actually surprises the reader. After I finish reading one of the books I feel like I need a cigarette. ;)

I'm currently reading Neil Gaiman's 'American Gods' and have really enjoyed it so far. Sometimes he gets a little lengthy with the exposition, but for the most part the pacing is good and it's definitely been a hard book to put down.
Luo Xiao (26) 45-89-40-72-53
Charge II, Diplomat II, Jianshu III, Politician II
Belial
Marquis

Post by Belial »

Personally? I'd have to admit the favorite book series I've read to date would be The Black Company by Glen Cook while the fourth book would be my favorite.
Starring As:
The Hero of Xianyang, The Incorruptible Lu Chen, and the Glorious Emperor Kang!
fallen_saint
Officer

Post by fallen_saint »

currently reading the Sun Sword book of that series name by Michelle West. It is pretty good.

Martin's books are fantastic.
Name: Qian Xiahou
stats: 82-70-62-60-76
skills: Military Administrator, Gonshu, Civil Administrator, Politician, Qiangshu, Raid, Wall, Assemble, Instructor
Belial
Marquis

Post by Belial »

On a side note, as this is a semi related thread, has anyone read the book Unclean by Richard Lee Byers? I was thinking of picking it up yet I wanted a opinion.
Starring As:
The Hero of Xianyang, The Incorruptible Lu Chen, and the Glorious Emperor Kang!
ann
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Favorite Books or Series!

Post by ann »

Valens wrote:
Kymvir Raemiz wrote: - George R. R. Martin's Song of Ice and Fire Series
The best fantasy series ever. By killing main characters on a fairly regular basis, including both villains *and* heroes, Martin has created a story that avoids so many cliches and actually surprises the reader. After I finish reading one of the books I feel like I need a cigarette. ;)

I'm currently reading Neil Gaiman's 'American Gods' and have really enjoyed it so far. Sometimes he gets a little lengthy with the exposition, but for the most part the pacing is good and it's definitely been a hard book to put down.
I recently read Neverwhere - and watched the original television series when I was done - and I wasn't that impressed. I've heard American Gods is a similar story but in the US instead of London. Is that the case? After Neverwhere I thought I'd never read anymore Gaiman but then I read that Anansi Boys mentions King Sweeney and I was curious about how.
Flawed
Lieutenant

Post by Flawed »

I don't read often, or anything like that, but there was one series I really enjoyed that it seems most people haven't read.. or seen. "The Incarnations of Immortality" by Piers Anthony. I haven't read any of his other works, but I really enjoyed the series. Getting me to read 8 books of my own free will is a miracle, take note of this.

Anyway, just figured I'd put that out there ^^
Gao Song (26) - Location: Qi
Stats: 36-92*-35-57-72
Skills: Challenge II, Intimidate II, Qiangshu II, Raid II
-->Details<--
-->Biography<--
Sweet_Ayame
Captain

Post by Sweet_Ayame »

Unchained Phoenix wrote:Has anyone else read Battle Royale? It's like an orgasm for the mind. :D
Truer words have never been spoken.
Jiao Suyin, 18
36-62-52-80-89
Civil Administrator II, Diplomat II, Jianshu II, Politician II, Propagandist II, Saboteur