Favorite Books or Series!

Moderator: Game Masters

Xiang Zhuang
Marquis

Post by Xiang Zhuang »

Last week I reread The Robe by Lloyd C. Douglas. Definitely one of my favorite books ever. It is a historical fiction set around the end of the reign of Tiberius and the start of Caligula. Centers around the life of a Roman Tribune who gets himself into trouble with Prince Gaius and ends up in an exile of sorts. I won't reveal what happens to him after that.

It is a good story, about 550 pages, at a 10th grade reading level, probably. Those people who are really interested in the lands of Rome and Palestine during those times will find it intriguing.
Fáng Ai (防哀) hao Aishī (皚獅, White Lion), Duke of Yan (Yan Gong)
101*.87*.44.78.39
Dash I, Gongshu II, Jianshu II, Smith II, Trainer II, Wall II

Sim Turn Length Analysis - Last Updated 4.06
Zhang Loc
Sergeant

Post by Zhang Loc »

I ended up finishing George R. R. Martin's latest edition in about two days, and I have not been able to find something decent since. I've had to resort to reading my text books :roll:

Anyways if anyone had some ideas of what would be a good read besides that lemme know, oh and I've read all of the books that have been listed through this page.
Adranis
Little Goober
Location: Just remember, the low blood pressure demon is writing you up.

Post by Adranis »

If anyone is really interested in philosophy I suggest reading the book Sophie's World by Jostein Gaarder. My English teacher recommended it to me along with other books like East of Eden by John Steinbeck and Focault's Pendulum by Umberto Eco. They're mostly really long reads but they're worth it. I'm such an avid reader that I finished them in no time. I've practically read half my high school's library :P
Qiao Lin (21)
53-44-96*-31-92
Deride III, Diplomat II, Envelop I, Politician II, Propagandist II, Public Planner II, Spy I
Items: Book of Rites (Int+4)

V2: 1 dead, 1 retired, 1 inactive.

<XuQuan> I would be a good houseboy since I don't like wearing clothes.

<Flawed> TEAM FLAWED - We're Wrong, and We Know it, so Screw you.

* Dreamer|Lernen sucks off to rp with no one.
LST
Ensign
Location: Breeder of the Most Affordable Horses in All of China!

Post by LST »

I just read the book Jarhead. I haven't seen the movie yet, but I hear it's not too good. I liked the book a lot though. It's an interesting journey the main character takes as a marine.
Maoshi Zansu (24) 85-101*-37-72-45
Horse (+7 Spd, +2 Att), Spear (+9 Might), Armor (+3 Might)
Instructor II, Trainer II, Charge II, Raid III, Qiangshu I, Decoy I, Maruader I, Smith I
Naxr
Colonel

Post by Naxr »

I read Sophie's World a few years ago. It was good in that I learned a bit about the history of philosophy, but the plot was not that good...you know what I mean if you have read it

and my favorite author is probably James A Michener. All of his books are similar in style but I find them to be very interesting
Ayame
Sergeant

Post by Ayame »

Flight of the Jerle Shanara, I love that book. Big red! Rocks.
Name: Fujin
Gold: 225
25-85-96(+3)-51-77
Doctor II, Public Planner II, Engineer II, Yueshu I
Fame: 275
Book: 烈火 (+3 Int)
In Ferro Veritas
Lieutenant

Post by In Ferro Veritas »

Xiang Zhuang wrote:Last week I reread The Robe by Lloyd C. Douglas. Definitely one of my favorite books ever. It is a historical fiction set around the end of the reign of Tiberius and the start of Caligula. Centers around the life of a Roman Tribune who gets himself into trouble with Prince Gaius and ends up in an exile of sorts. I won't reveal what happens to him after that.

It is a good story, about 550 pages, at a 10th grade reading level, probably. Those people who are really interested in the lands of Rome and Palestine during those times will find it intriguing.
I, Claudius is a great book that covers about the same area. A bit shorter, probably around 300 pages, but it's a relatively good one. As you can probably infer from the topic title, it's about Claudius. As a completely random note, when I first typed that, I typed "I, Tiberius."
Xue Xia
36-35-79-89-59
Civil Administrator II, Engineer II, Propagandist II, Public Planner II, Entrench I, Poison I, Doctor
Adranis
Little Goober
Location: Just remember, the low blood pressure demon is writing you up.

Post by Adranis »

Naxr wrote:I read Sophie's World a few years ago. It was good in that I learned a bit about the history of philosophy, but the plot was not that good...you know what I mean if you have read it

and my favorite author is probably James A Michener. All of his books are similar in style but I find them to be very interesting
yeah i agree, the philosophy part was good. the plot of the story that they weaved it into confused me a little tho.
Qiao Lin (21)
53-44-96*-31-92
Deride III, Diplomat II, Envelop I, Politician II, Propagandist II, Public Planner II, Spy I
Items: Book of Rites (Int+4)

V2: 1 dead, 1 retired, 1 inactive.

<XuQuan> I would be a good houseboy since I don't like wearing clothes.

<Flawed> TEAM FLAWED - We're Wrong, and We Know it, so Screw you.

* Dreamer|Lernen sucks off to rp with no one.
Kymvir Raemiz
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Favorite Books or Series!

Post by Kymvir Raemiz »

My first listing of favorite series:
Kymvir Raemiz wrote:Some of my favorite series, and I won't rank them:

- Colleen MacCollough's Republic of Rome Series(Grass Crown, Caesar, First man in Rome)
- Patrick O'Brien's Aubrey/Maturin Series(Master and Commander)
- George R. R. Martin's Song of Ice and Fire Series
- David Eddings Belgariad(only the Belgariad)
- Luo Guanzhong's Romance of the Three Kingdoms
- Louis Cha's Deer and the Cauldron
- Kim Stanley Robinson's Mars Trilogy
- David Wingrove's Chung Kuo

And, of course,

- JK Rowling's Harry Potter
I think I'll add to them, since there are a bunch of great series/books I've liked over the years.

- Raymond E. Feist's Riftwar and Serpent Queen Series
- Janny Wurts and Feist's Empire Series
- Katherine Kurtz's Camber and Kelson Trilogies
- Sharyn McCrumb's Bimbos of the Death Sun
- Terry Brooks Elfstones of Shanarra(the rest were weak)
- Hannibal: One Man Against Rome
- Piers Anthony's first 4-5 Xanth Books
- Piers Anthony's first 4-5 Phase Books
- Lloyd Alexander's books.(I read them in 3rd grade. To a 3rd grader, they rock.)
- James Clavell's Shogun
fallen_saint
Officer

Post by fallen_saint »

my list, yea i know it's been a while since i have been active..i blame society and school

Harry turtledove well it starts with How few Remain-Great War-American Empire-Settling Accounts series
Michael Stackpole-Dragoncrown Warcycle
George R. R. Martin- Ice and Fire Saga
Jack Whyte- Camulod Chronicles
David Farland- Runelords
Michelle West- The Sun Sword series
David Gemmell-The Rigante Series
Dave Duncan-Tales of the King's Blades
Robin Hobbs- farseer-liveship traders-tawny man series
Name: Qian Xiahou
stats: 82-70-62-60-76
skills: Military Administrator, Gonshu, Civil Administrator, Politician, Qiangshu, Raid, Wall, Assemble, Instructor