The Ghosts of Julu

Moderator: Game Masters

Brother Dun
Marquis

Re: The Ghosts of Julu

Post by Brother Dun »

Cao Chao wrote: Zu Yanghei found Elder Ling in the library where he was perusing over a dozen scrolls scattered across three tables. Looking up from his work, he regarded the scholar briefly before speaking. "Who are you? What do you want?"
Finding himself in a comfortable place, the library, the scholar of Zhongxin Zhishi smiled. As he approached Elder Ling, he noticed the man was hard at work, trying to check various items all at once, "I am Zu Yanghei, headmaster of Zhongxin Zhishi, and I am here to help. Elder Jia suggested I come talk to you, Elder Ling. I have arrived here in Julu to aid you and yours in ending this issue with the spirits, and to bring an end to any dangers that exist," he said, pausing, before taking a glance at the scrolls, trying to discern what the man was reading, "I see that you are engrossed within your work, perhaps you would let a fellow learned man aid you in whatever it is that you are doing here? An extra pair of eyes, and a second reasoning mind may help you figure out whatever it is that you are seeking."
Zu Yanghei zì 智盜 'Zhì​dào​' (Knowledge Thief)
Li Dao Wen
Marquis

Post by Li Dao Wen »

Cao Chao wrote:(OOC: Due to his refusal to follow the instructions, Hsiahoutun's participation in the quest has been terminated henceforth. Li Dao Wen has been selected to take his place.)
Li Dao Wen wrote:"Halt."

A first command for a first offense boomed into the air, accompanied by the forceful swinging of the enormous halberd which Xun Jiang was carrying. It gleamed ferociously in the sun, polished to perfection by care and 'regular feeding', lacquered by the blood of countless men. However, even the mighty weapon paled in comparison to the murderous gleam in the statuesque man's face, one which was hell bent on making the man stay put. It appeared as if he was sizing how long his halberd would reach before it struck off his head, but for the time being the blade remained in a relatively safe distance.

""You obviously know nothing concerning the methods and intricacies of fighting away the dead. You only see them as a pestilence and a scourge, but truly, they are the collective emotions of pained men, victims of war and cruelty all. They need to be sated before being fought. If you fester hatred for them, you only serve to anger them further. However..."

The sentence ended with the brutal demise of the very nearest creature within his peripheral vision, which happened to be a stray cat. A flash of the blade later and it was a mere pile of blood and flesh on the ground before Xun Jiang. "If it is violence that you require of me, then none, no ghost--or living man--shall survive the fall of this blade."
"Perhaps I will have an assignment for you then," called a voice from behind Xun Jiang. Stepping into view, a well-dressed gentleman gestured for the clerk to disappear before greeting Xun Jiang. Bowing his head, the clerk scurried away, rushing to clean up the mess he had made in his pants.

"Well then, if you are willing, I have an assignment for you on behalf of the administrator of this fair city," stated the man with a leering grin, "That is . . . if you have the moxie to accept . . ."
There was a hint of danger in the man's words that made Xun Jiang's blood gush into his head with wicked excitement. Anything that required courage--whether foolhardy or pure--was a challenge from which he would never back down and always lick his chops for. The halberd's pole struck the ground to stand tall in a less menacing posture, signifying that he was ready to listen to what the man had to say. He spoke his words calmly and methodically.

"Courage is not a problem. I accept this... assignment."
Then, a warning in the form of slightly sharpened eyes. "But be warned, I do not take kindly to foolishness."
Shang Yu, strategist and miser

Formerly:

Xun Jiang the Black Ogre, King of Yan
NightForever
Colonel

Post by NightForever »

Cao Chao wrote: "You are an odd one, child," replied the old widow, wiping at the tears that pooled at the corners of her eyes. "An odd one, indeed . . ."

"But I can assure you that my son was killed by ghosts," she stated. "A particularly nasty specter . . . possessed my son and threw him onto an unsprung trap set by Zhang Han. He died, his body impaled on a dozen spears."
Shangguan Wei listened to the old widow describing her son's fate with puzzled face. Why would a specter do such useless nonsense? If Wei were the specter that possessed the lady's son, he would have definitely tried other fun things, such as stripping the lady's son and running naked on the crowded street.

Before his thought drifted away further, he regained his sense and inquired the lady.

"That was very uncool.... I mean, very horrible! By the way, what had your son tried to do or where had he gone right before he was possessed? I mean, this specter needs to be punished for its uncool horrible action! Could you please let me know how to get to the incident scene?"
Shangguan Wei (21) | 90-91-21-78-22 | Charge II, Delay II, Instructor II, Qiangshu II, Raid I, Yueshu II
OneEyedDrgn
Lieutenant

Post by OneEyedDrgn »

Waving at the man with his one good arm to take a seat, the soldier uncorked a wineskin. Taking a few long gulps, he tossed it to Zhuwen. As Zhuwen caught the wineskin, he saw that a puddle was forming on the ground where the soldier was sitting.
Zhuwen graciously grabbed the wineskin, glad to see that the man was friendly. He was about to take a drink when he saw something strange...

What in the world!? Zhuwen thought. Was it blood leaking from the man's wounds? No... The wine? The strange scene made Zhuwen go to alert, perhaps the rumors of ghosts were true. While not showing it, the warrior made himself ready to draw his blade as he took none of the contents from the wineskin.

"...Know anything about some ghosts supposedly haunting this place?" Zhuwen asked with a serious face.
Liang Zhuwen, 28, Male, Chaotic Neutral
Stats: 50-92-36-31-80
Skills: Assemble II, Challenge II, Diplomat, Gongshu II, Jianshu II, Yueshu II
Biography
Zhuwen's Theme
Wen Xu
Sergeant

Post by Wen Xu »

Looking the letter over for a moment Wen Xu nodded to the foreman and said, "I will be happy to take on this assignment. Anything for the land of Chu. Now what can I do for you now?"
Wen Xu(39) ~ Bio
76-84*-38-54-40
Skills: Challenge I, Charge II, Diplomat I, Faze I, Instructor II, Politician I, Qiangshu I, Raid I
Items: Spear (Melee, Mgt+2), Horse (Spd+1)
Zhou Kahn
Officer

Post by Zhou Kahn »

"He didn't even recognize me . . . it was almost as if he was lost . . . lost on the path to the underworld . . ." replied the woman, shaking her head, still in shock. "I haven't seen him in ages . . . since he was press-ganged into servitude to work on Epang Palace. I later heard he was drafted into Zhang Han's army . . . As we all know . . . that army perished on the plains before this city . . ."
Mai Zu nodded, listening to the woman. It was obvious that she wasn't going to get much more from the shocked woman. Saying her thanks and goodbyes, Mai Zu left her in search of the elders. She still needed to talk to them. If nothing else, she knew where to go now to search for the source. She couldn't help but wonder if the woman she just left would be alright, as she made her way to the elders.
Mai Zu
Stats: 51-75-75-75-56
Skills: Artisan II, Civil Administrator II, Engineer II, Scribe III, Smith II, Trainer II
Mai Zu's Shop of Wonder
Cao Chao
Marquis
Location: That which is unknown and unseen always commands the greatest fear.

Post by Cao Chao »

Shen Feng wrote:Feng did as the doctor requested to the best of his ability, acquiring a plank of wood to serve as a backboard and helping him carry the man to his house. As the elder resumed his ranting, Feng simply shrugged sheepishly.

"I think the answer is obvious, elder. I didn't learn it anywhere, and that's entirely the problem. I have a friend who knows a lot more about medicine than I do, but, well, he heard about the ghosts here and got scared, he wouldn't come." Feng's expression darkened as he mentioned the ghosts, aware it might be a sore point with the elder. "I came along anyway, without him, because I'd like to help. And hopefully there'll be a way I actually can help with this, rather than making things worse as you just saw."
“Hmmph,” replied the elder looking at Shen Feng, “This is why busybodies who don't know what they're doing should leave things to professionals . . .” Muttering crossly to himself again, the curmudgeonly elder sipped from his teacup.

“I am Elder Ju,” he said, introducing himself, after calming down a bit, “One of the seven city elders that have helped assist and advise the Governor in the administration of this city ever since we were liberated from Qin rule.” Pausing, he poured himself some more tea before continuing. “So you’re here for the ghosts, I presume?” he stated, as he settled into his seat, leaning against the comfortable cushions. “You think that with your talents, you can actually do something about the blight that has been afflicting this city?”
Suicide Fox wrote:A quick look of anger flashed across De Man's face. His eyes tightened and his lips pursed. What did these people do to deserve such hardships? Clasping his 'father' on the shoulder, he gave him a solemn nod that explained everything. Well, his words did too. "Don't worry father I'll get to the bottom of this, or my name isn't Li .. uh," He paused for a moment and drew a blank. The hopeful look in the old man's eyes just made him want to get on with things.

"Nevermind. Thanks for everything." Slowly, he began to back up and hold up his hands, wiggling his fingers constantly while talking in a ghostly voice. "Nooooowww, I'm off to the graaaaaveee woooooo..."

A little while later, after De Man was sure he'd lost the old man, he headed towards the main burial site to begin his stake out of the area.
“Thank you, Li-er, thank you,” moaned the elderly man, releasing De Man to go on his way. “Take this . . . it’s a tally issued by the Governor. With this you can go anywhere as you please except for the most restricted of sites.”

After traversing for nearly half an hour, De Man arrived at the burial grounds. There his way was barred by a number of armed soldiers, part of the city’s garrison. “You there! What do you want!?!” they asked, menacing De Man with their spears and halberds. “Under instructions of the Governor, only those with proper authorization are permitted entry.”
Brother Dun wrote:Finding himself in a comfortable place, the library, the scholar of Zhongxin Zhishi smiled. As he approached Elder Ling, he noticed the man was hard at work, trying to check various items all at once, "I am Zu Yanghei, headmaster of Zhongxin Zhishi, and I am here to help. Elder Jia suggested I come talk to you, Elder Ling. I have arrived here in Julu to aid you and yours in ending this issue with the spirits, and to bring an end to any dangers that exist," he said, pausing, before taking a glance at the scrolls, trying to discern what the man was reading, "I see that you are engrossed within your work, perhaps you would let a fellow learned man aid you in whatever it is that you are doing here? An extra pair of eyes, and a second reasoning mind may help you figure out whatever it is that you are seeking."
“If you’re here because of Oily Fat Jia, then I know that I don’t want you to help,” replied the historian, annoyed that his work was being interrupted by some nincompoop dispatched by the greediest of his peers. Regarding the man, he continued. “If I give you the information, will you go away and stop bothering me?”

If it was agreed, Elder Ling walked towards the pile of scrolls. After several long minutes of searching, he returned with two scrolls in hand. “Now what did you want to know about the battle fought here and the ghosts?”
Li Dao Wen wrote:There was a hint of danger in the man's words that made Xun Jiang's blood gush into his head with wicked excitement. Anything that required courage--whether foolhardy or pure--was a challenge from which he would never back down and always lick his chops for. The halberd's pole struck the ground to stand tall in a less menacing posture, signifying that he was ready to listen to what the man had to say. He spoke his words calmly and methodically.

"Courage is not a problem. I accept this... assignment."
Then, a warning in the form of slightly sharpened eyes. "But be warned, I do not take kindly to foolishness."
“I have a set of instructions for you . . .” replied the man with a laugh, “If you are able to obey them, then good . . . I shall have a man bring you to the site of the mass graves to speak with the foreman.”

Xun Jiang was brought to the mass graves and was introduced to Wen Xu and the foreman.
NightForever wrote:Shangguan Wei listened to the old widow describing her son's fate with puzzled face. Why would a specter do such useless nonsense? If Wei were the specter that possessed the lady's son, he would have definitely tried other fun things, such as stripping the lady's son and running naked on the crowded street.

Before his thought drifted away further, he regained his sense and inquired the lady.

"That was very uncool.... I mean, very horrible! By the way, what had your son tried to do or where had he gone right before he was possessed? I mean, this specter needs to be punished for its uncool horrible action! Could you please let me know how to get to the incident scene?"
“I don’t know where it happened . . .” replied the elderly woman, dabbing at her tears, “I only heard it from Elder Kuang. I couldn’t . . . bear the sight, so Elder Kuang took care of everything. You should talk to him . . . I can take you to his home if you wish . . .”

Shangguan Wei was led to Elder Kuang’s home by the elderly widow. After introducing him to the attendants, the elderly widow departed. Shangguan Wei was courteously welcomed by the Elder. “What can I do for you?” asked Elder Kuang.
OneEyedDrgn wrote:Zhuwen graciously grabbed the wineskin, glad to see that the man was friendly. He was about to take a drink when he saw something strange...

What in the world!? Zhuwen thought. Was it blood leaking from the man's wounds? No... The wine? The strange scene made Zhuwen go to alert, perhaps the rumors of ghosts were true. While not showing it, the warrior made himself ready to draw his blade as he took none of the contents from the wineskin.

"...Know anything about some ghosts supposedly haunting this place?" Zhuwen asked with a serious face.
Turning to regard Zhuwen with his pale eyes, the man spoke. “I know all too much about the ghosts that have haunted these lands,” he stated in an eerie haunting voice, “All too much . . .” Raising his arm that had been hacked away at the elbow, he continued. “I wonder . . . my wound has continued to bleed profusely for nearly a year now . . . am I still alive?”
Wen Xu wrote:Looking the letter over for a moment Wen Xu nodded to the foreman and said, "I will be happy to take on this assignment. Anything for the land of Chu. Now what can I do for you now?"
“All of the Elders are former Zhao loyalists,” stated the foreman, clapping Wen Xu on the shoulder. “The governor has had a hell of a time just trying to ensure their loyalty and prevent them from staging a coup and break away from Chu. Good men like you will help to ensure their loyalties and if necessary . . . break them.”
Zhou Kahn wrote:Mai Zu nodded, listening to the woman. It was obvious that she wasn't going to get much more from the shocked woman. Saying her thanks and goodbyes, Mai Zu left her in search of the elders. She still needed to talk to them. If nothing else, she knew where to go now to search for the source. She couldn't help but wonder if the woman she just left would be alright, as she made her way to the elders.
The woman gripped tightly onto Mai Zu’s arm, preventing her from leaving. For someone so frail and traumatized, the woman seemed to have more strength than E Lai. “Please, you have to help me . . .” she said, wailing piteously, “My father . . . is Elder Guo. Even though we are the poorest of the first families of Julu, we can offer much if you can help me . . . help put my husband to rest!”
Li Dao Wen
Marquis

Post by Li Dao Wen »

Wen Xu, Foreman and Uber-city-official-with-snarky-laugh

Xun JIang followed the assigned man to the mass graves without so much as a word, eager to behold the very spot where the entirety of Qin's fighting force had perished some time ago. Arriving at the scene, he didn't bother to discern the surroundings, for just as he had surmised, the air was thick with death. It was the site of the battlefield of Julu, ripe with the calls of the dead and the whispers of uneasiness in the place. The blunt end of his halberd's pole dug into the ground, wanting to get a feel of the corpses and secrets than lied beneath. But just as the colossus was starting to lick the taste of the dead in his mind, the living made an appearance in the form of Wen Xu and the foreman.

His eyes immediately began to size Wen Xu up, almost as if he was eager to see if the strong-looking man was any good. Slaying the living was far more productive and enjoyable than calming restless spirits after all. For the time being, however, he settled for a brief introduction and then simply waited for them to say anything of importance.

"My name is Xun JIang. Of Chu."
Shang Yu, strategist and miser

Formerly:

Xun Jiang the Black Ogre, King of Yan
Wen Xu
Sergeant

Post by Wen Xu »

Thinking about what the man said Wen Xu was disappointed with the man's comment about the elders. It made sense that the Elders were men loyal to Zhao but they also needed to be men more loyal to their proper leader, the Hegemon King. Just as the man finished speaking though another fellow arrived and examined the graves before coming over to Wen Xu. This man stood a few inches taller then himself and he had the look of a great warrior.

Just the sight of him in his black armor and great halbred made Wen Xu wish to test his mettle as a warrior but he knew that this was neither the time or place for such things. Bowing his head to the man Xu replied in kind, "I am Wen Xu of Chen."

After the short introductions between the two men Xu returned his attention to the foreman and asked, "So what can you tell me about these elders? I would appreciate to learn their names, the lands they control, where their powers lie and most importantly where do they reside?"
Wen Xu(39) ~ Bio
76-84*-38-54-40
Skills: Challenge I, Charge II, Diplomat I, Faze I, Instructor II, Politician I, Qiangshu I, Raid I
Items: Spear (Melee, Mgt+2), Horse (Spd+1)
Brother Dun
Marquis

Post by Brother Dun »

Cao Chao wrote: “If you’re here because of Oily Fat Jia, then I know that I don’t want you to help,” replied the historian, annoyed that his work was being interrupted by some nincompoop dispatched by the greediest of his peers. Regarding the man, he continued. “If I give you the information, will you go away and stop bothering me?”

If it was agreed, Elder Ling walked towards the pile of scrolls. After several long minutes of searching, he returned with two scrolls in hand. “Now what did you want to know about the battle fought here and the ghosts?”
The scholar of Zhongxin Zhishi sighed at the man's words, "I'll admit, that Elder Jia seemed more concerned about his profits than anything else, but he did have the wisdom to send me to you, Elder Ling. I merely happened upon Elder Jia first, due to having the citizens of this city point me towards him when I arrived. I am a scholar, and a learned man, and I need to know what you know about the ghosts haunting this place. I am aware that the battle saw the deaths of over 200,000 men, but would it also be possible that some some of the ghosts have been around longer? Perhaps when the Qin came and burned their way through the land of Zhao?"

Pausing a moment, he looked over the two scrolls Elder Ling held, "What would those two scrolls be able to tell me? I need to know about the manner of deaths these ghosts have been causing, frequency of attacks, and locations. If they are centralized, and at common intervals and timing, perhaps it could be something other than ghosts. Perhaps a bandit force, or a wild animal that only comes out at a certain time of day. If not, then an earthly solution becomes more far fetched... What can you tell me about these attacks, Elder Ling? What do you need me to do? I need you to trust me, for I really am here to help you."
Zu Yanghei zì 智盜 'Zhì​dào​' (Knowledge Thief)