The Library of Zhongxin Zhishi

OOC Thread, General Roleplay, Tavern, Public Dueling

Moderator: Game Masters

Aleksandr
Major

Re: The Library of Zhongxin Zhishi

Post by Aleksandr »

Kang Xingtu entered the library slowly, almost hesitantly - he took a moment to scan behind the visible shelves and pillars before continuing further in, his axe strapped across his back in a makeshift sheath. As the large Easterner's careful examination ended, a faint smirk overtook his expression before he turned back and waved his unseen companion forward.

The travel to Sai had been an experience for a man who had rarely left the borders of Chu. Seeing the destruction wrought upon the Qin homeland had given him a sense of closure to his burning hatred of the Qin, and given him no shortage of satisfaction in the process. What need was there of revenge, when it had already been taken?

"Well, here we are... lots of old stories and boring records, I'm sure. Think there's anything with a nice picture in it?"

He was clearly out of place in this library. Not only did he hold the telltale signs of an Easterner, he was still dirty from travelling, and his clothing was dull and faded - far more suited to the hard life of a farmer than a scholar. Then there was his axe, the work of art, whose handle was decoarted with a blue jade dragon coiled up to the two massive blades, the head forming a top-spike while each blade formed a hand.
Di Wan (23, Male), the Marquis of Di
80-34*-82-91*-45*
Skills: Artisan II, Cover II, Decoy II, Entrench II, Gongshu, Volley II
Gold: 486
Cloud Strife
Captain

Post by Cloud Strife »

Aleksandr wrote:Kang Xingtu entered the library slowly, almost hesitantly - he took a moment to scan behind the visible shelves and pillars before continuing further in, his axe strapped across his back in a makeshift sheath. As the large Easterner's careful examination ended, a faint smirk overtook his expression before he turned back and waved his unseen companion forward.

The travel to Sai had been an experience for a man who had rarely left the borders of Chu. Seeing the destruction wrought upon the Qin homeland had given him a sense of closure to his burning hatred of the Qin, and given him no shortage of satisfaction in the process. What need was there of revenge, when it had already been taken?

"Well, here we are... lots of old stories and boring records, I'm sure. Think there's anything with a nice picture in it?"

He was clearly out of place in this library. Not only did he hold the telltale signs of an Easterner, he was still dirty from travelling, and his clothing was dull and faded - far more suited to the hard life of a farmer than a scholar. Then there was his axe, the work of art, whose handle was decoarted with a blue jade dragon coiled up to the two massive blades, the head forming a top-spike while each blade formed a hand.
"Boring, perhaps but within these stacks are the only evidence the future generations will have to work with to piece together what life was like in these times. Sure, there maybe monuments, such as the First Emperor's tomb, but they only speak one story; the story of those that created them. These records contain census data, promotions, demotions, punishments, white papers, basically anything one would require to piece together what constituted Qin society. And perhaps these records will also contain information on Li Si. He was an interesting man, the true creator of the First Emperor's realm."

"Intend to see if this pile of scrolls has anything useful on the man to review. So, shall we go look for the proprietor of this place? He would probably know where the best place would be to begin my search."
Name: Ji Qing, Male (Born 228 B.C.) [18-58-106*-42-79]
Items: Book + 7 INT "Sān Mín Zhǔyì", Book + 7 INT "A Song of Ice and Fire"
Skills: Confuse II, Decoy II, Jeer II, Public Planner II
Brother Dun
Marquis

Post by Brother Dun »

osiris wrote:The boy fumbled with the books checking for scars. Nothing was terribly torn, just some covers slightly ripped. He looked over to the man now berating, and silently and nervously uttered an apology, "S-sorry sir. I overestimated my might, it was an accident."

Cheng Linpeng had heard the books crash and heaved a resigned sigh. He got up and helped the boy pick them up. He turned to the fellow who was shouting and gave a careless smile than said in a quiet tone of mock politeness, "Excuse me mister, but this is a library, and so such a place is meant to be kept quiet. You know, some the ones here that are reading can focus." He shook his head disapprovingly, then said slowly, "Affording guests to this town with so little respect, tsk, tsk, tsk." Linpeng carried the books with ease and placed them on a solid service in carefully separated piles.

Xinrichu regained his composure and then bowed to the fellow, "Much apologies good sir, for the book spill and my company. It was incidental and none of it was meant to offend. I am Fasho Baipan, by the way." He said slowly and graciously.

Linpeng walked back over. "What? I stand by my words." He said lightly, with his careless smile still there, "This man owes me an apology. I owe him nothing. Its rude to yell in a library, and its even more rude to threaten someone."

Baipan sighed, "Perhaps we ought to just go." He mumbled somewhat audibly.
The headmaster narrowed his eyes at Cheng Linpeng, clearly annoyed with the man. However, as the younger boy spoke, he seemingly accepted the youngster's apology. At least he was sorry for what he had done, "Fasho Baipan, you say? At least you can see the value of the books that you have dropped. Your apology is accepted. I care deeply for this place, as it is my life's work, and it has been a long, arduous and dangerous task to set it up. As for your friend here," he said, pausing and giving a look to Cheng Linpeng, "The man believes it proper to lecture me? In my own library? Perhaps he is the one that needs to learn his manners once more. There will be no apology coming from me to him," he said, obviously annoyed with Linpeng.

Pausing once more, the scholar once more looked at the young boy, intent upon ignoring Linpeng, he reached down and picked up one of the remaining books. He swept his gaze across the rest and sighed, rubbing the bridge of his nose, "At least it seems there is no damage, perhaps I may have overreacted a little towards you child... As such, is there perhaps anything in particular that I can help you with? Is there a particular nugget of knowledge that you seek? Or perhaps, albeit unlikely judging from your age, there is a story or some knowledge you would like to share and have recorded?"

Cloud & Alex

The scribes and scholars of the library were quite surprised to see the large Kang Xingtu enter. They had not expected a man of... His type to visit. Equally, they were worried about the size and potency of the axe he carried. However, after a few moments of unease, they figured it would be best to go back to what they were doing. After the spectacle of Kang Xingtu, Ji Qing was not even really noticed. However, one meek librarian did manage to make his way over to the pair, "Ah, hello sirs," he said in a squeaky voice, "I am Pi Shang, one of the librarians," he said, clearly intimidated by Kang Xingtu, "C- can I help you at all today?"
Zu Yanghei zì 智盜 'Zhì​dào​' (Knowledge Thief)
Aleksandr
Major

Post by Aleksandr »

Xingtu raised a brow curiously at the stammering little Qin. "What? Oh. Eh... I think he's lookin' for something about Ying Zheng's crony Li Si." He snorted in derision at both the names as he spoke, pausing a moment before continuing. "I think there was something else... weren't you lookin' for some old Qin bookkeeper?" He addressed the question to the man who'd entered behind him, turning back to look at him.
Di Wan (23, Male), the Marquis of Di
80-34*-82-91*-45*
Skills: Artisan II, Cover II, Decoy II, Entrench II, Gongshu, Volley II
Gold: 486
osiris
Major

Post by osiris »

Brother Dun wrote:
The headmaster narrowed his eyes at Cheng Linpeng, clearly annoyed with the man. However, as the younger boy spoke, he seemingly accepted the youngster's apology. At least he was sorry for what he had done, "Fasho Baipan, you say? At least you can see the value of the books that you have dropped. Your apology is accepted. I care deeply for this place, as it is my life's work, and it has been a long, arduous and dangerous task to set it up. As for your friend here," he said, pausing and giving a look to Cheng Linpeng, "The man believes it proper to lecture me? In my own library? Perhaps he is the one that needs to learn his manners once more. There will be no apology coming from me to him," he said, obviously annoyed with Linpeng.

Pausing once more, the scholar once more looked at the young boy, intent upon ignoring Linpeng, he reached down and picked up one of the remaining books. He swept his gaze across the rest and sighed, rubbing the bridge of his nose, "At least it seems there is no damage, perhaps I may have overreacted a little towards you child... As such, is there perhaps anything in particular that I can help you with? Is there a particular nugget of knowledge that you seek? Or perhaps, albeit unlikely judging from your age, there is a story or some knowledge you would like to share and have recorded?"
Linpeng threw his head back and laughed, "You are the host of this place? Incredible." He just shook his head disapprovingly at the man, "I'd lecture any man who respected books more than humans. It just surprises me that a man in possession of so much knowledge would need so much lecturing." He laughed, "Ironic." He smile seemed taunting, mocking, if not downright infuriating.
Xinrichu intervened, "Please, lets try and avoid conflict today my friend."
Linpeng shrugged, "Whatever, I am sure it would be more at your convenience to ignore a guest" Linpeng walked to a nearby chair so that he could hear the conversation, but seem disconnected from it as well.

Xinrichu sighed a little, "He is a good fellow, just one with a lot of pride." Linpeng heard about him, and hardly seemed offended, though he did not smile. Xinrichu continued with confidence, "I went through looking for books concerning governance and administration. I found quite a bit, but I would welcome any recommendations." Then he paused, and spoke slowly, "A story? Well I've only one, that of the Fasho family, and it is no saga, or nor is it glorious, heroic, or even quite interesting." He smiled abruptly, "But in a half a decade at most, I'll have plenty of stories, I am sure."
"A man will not give his life for a half pence, you have to speak to his soul, electrify him." Napoleon Bonaparte

Fasho Baipan zi Xinrichu 60-39-42-71-90
Civil Administrator II, Deride, Diplomat, Military Administrator II, Haste, Poison, Politician, Propagandist, Rally II, Saboteur
Age 14
Followers: Shun Xuan(22) 56-38-70-60-45 skills in OI
Cheng Linpeng(36) 49-64-70-77-75 skills in OI
Yang Jian(17) 50-54-58-76-67 skills in OI
Brother Dun
Marquis

Post by Brother Dun »

Aleksandr wrote:Xingtu raised a brow curiously at the stammering little Qin. "What? Oh. Eh... I think he's lookin' for something about Ying Zheng's crony Li Si." He snorted in derision at both the names as he spoke, pausing a moment before continuing. "I think there was something else... weren't you lookin' for some old Qin bookkeeper?" He addressed the question to the man who'd entered behind him, turning back to look at him.
Pi Shang grimaced a bit as Xingtu towered over him, snorting out the names of Li Si, "Ahh... Then perhaps your... F-f- friend would l- like to check over th- there," he said, gesturing to a shelf along the back wall. A small sign hanging from the shelving and Pi Shang pointed it out, "Th- th- that sign says, 'L- literature of Qin,' i- i- if you're having pr- problems r- r- r-eeading it sir... As for the b-book keeper, I th- th- think y- y- you mean Zu Y- Yanghei, the headmaster. H- h- he's o- o- over there," he said, gesturing to a man sitting in a large plush chair reading a book.
osiris wrote:Linpeng threw his head back and laughed, "You are the host of this place? Incredible." He just shook his head disapprovingly at the man, "I'd lecture any man who respected books more than humans. It just surprises me that a man in possession of so much knowledge would need so much lecturing." He laughed, "Ironic." He smile seemed taunting, mocking, if not downright infuriating.
Xinrichu intervened, "Please, lets try and avoid conflict today my friend."
Linpeng shrugged, "Whatever, I am sure it would be more at your convenience to ignore a guest" Linpeng walked to a nearby chair so that he could hear the conversation, but seem disconnected from it as well.

Xinrichu sighed a little, "He is a good fellow, just one with a lot of pride." Linpeng heard about him, and hardly seemed offended, though he did not smile. Xinrichu continued with confidence, "I went through looking for books concerning governance and administration. I found quite a bit, but I would welcome any recommendations." Then he paused, and spoke slowly, "A story? Well I've only one, that of the Fasho family, and it is no saga, or nor is it glorious, heroic, or even quite interesting." He smiled abruptly, "But in a half a decade at most, I'll have plenty of stories, I am sure."
The scholar essentially turned his back to Linpeng and let the man vent, caring not for what the man said. He smiled at the young boy, feeling almost sorry for yelling at the poor tyke earlier, but deciding he didn't, or at least shouldn't. Thinking for a moment for a good recommendation, "Well, if you're looking for something on governance, I have quite a few options. Perhaps you would be interested in a copy of Han Feizi's works on legalism. It was the structure of the Qin government, and fairly successful under the governance of the late Qin kings and Qin Shihuangdi. Or perhaps you would like to pick up a copy of Kong Qiu's great works, compiled by his followers after his death. If Confucian teachings tend to be to your liking, look into Kong Qiu's followers, Mengzi or Xunzi as well, they took opposite views from his teachings, and further expand upon them in their own right. Another possible style of administration and leadership to look into is Mozi's work, or perhaps the works of the great Logician Gongsun Longzi. I believe what you are looking for might be somewhere in the Hundred Schools of Thoughts, I managed to save as many copies of these works as I could, but it was difficult, and I fear some of the schools have perished forever during the reign of Qin Shihuangdi," the scholar paused and gave a sigh, "Try some of these works out, and decide which one suits you best perhaps?"
osiris
Major

Post by osiris »

Xinrichu nodded happily, "I appreciate the recommendation. I have already secured some of those listed, and I have already read select readings of Mozi, Mengzi, and Confucius and had others summarized to me in lessons. Generally pretty fascinating stuff, though I have never really agreed with Confucius. " He paused, "I believe I will make Han Feizi's work my first priority and work from there." Xinrichu turned slightly and readied to leave the area in search of more books, but he paused suddenly.

He turned back around the fellow. With a hint of intrigue and caution he slowly inquired, "If you do not mind me asking, how did you manage to preserve such a magnitude of knowledge from both the Qin and The Chu? I would assume it was no easy task, perhaps even illegal at times."
"A man will not give his life for a half pence, you have to speak to his soul, electrify him." Napoleon Bonaparte

Fasho Baipan zi Xinrichu 60-39-42-71-90
Civil Administrator II, Deride, Diplomat, Military Administrator II, Haste, Poison, Politician, Propagandist, Rally II, Saboteur
Age 14
Followers: Shun Xuan(22) 56-38-70-60-45 skills in OI
Cheng Linpeng(36) 49-64-70-77-75 skills in OI
Yang Jian(17) 50-54-58-76-67 skills in OI
Brother Dun
Marquis

Post by Brother Dun »

osiris wrote:Xinrichu nodded happily, "I appreciate the recommendation. I have already secured some of those listed, and I have already read select readings of Mozi, Mengzi, and Confucius and had others summarized to me in lessons. Generally pretty fascinating stuff, though I have never really agreed with Confucius. " He paused, "I believe I will make Han Feizi's work my first priority and work from there." Xinrichu turned slightly and readied to leave the area in search of more books, but he paused suddenly.

He turned back around the fellow. With a hint of intrigue and caution he slowly inquired, "If you do not mind me asking, how did you manage to preserve such a magnitude of knowledge from both the Qin and The Chu? I would assume it was no easy task, perhaps even illegal at times."
The scholar smiled slyly at the boy's last question, "You assume correctly, young man. I used my position within the Qin government to secure books and secreted them away. They were to be destroyed by the First Emperor's purging of the Hundred Schools of Thought, I managed to get myself on a few of his destruction crews and saved several books. Unfortunately, the scholars who owned the books were beyond rescue... Once they had been found out, they were doomed."

The headmaster paused once more, "I figured that, at the very least, these scholars would want their works and beliefs preserved, rather than lost forever. Perhaps an even riskier move I made to amass this emporium of knowledge... I am not too proud of. When my parents died tragically, I buried myself within literature, to help me through my mourning. It was also during this time that I realized many of my peers and the guards of the royal libraries took pity upon me... So I managed to spirit away a few of the forbidden books from Qin Shihuangdi's own collection! Right out from underneath him!"
Cloud Strife
Captain

Post by Cloud Strife »

Brother Dun wrote:Pi Shang grimaced a bit as Xingtu towered over him, snorting out the names of Li Si, "Ahh... Then perhaps your... F-f- friend would l- like to check over th- there," he said, gesturing to a shelf along the back wall. A small sign hanging from the shelving and Pi Shang pointed it out, "Th- th- that sign says, 'L- literature of Qin,' i- i- if you're having pr- problems r- r- r-eeading it sir... As for the b-book keeper, I th- th- think y- y- you mean Zu Y- Yanghei, the headmaster. H- h- he's o- o- over there," he said, gesturing to a man sitting in a large plush chair reading a book.
Ji Qing stifled a yawn and proceeded to saunter along towards Zu Yanghei. "Greetings good sir, my name is Ji Qing and this is my... friend, Kang Xingtu. We come by way of Chu and i'm interested if you have any specific documentation related to Li Si's suppression of the Hundred Schools as well as the service records of Meng Tian. From what I hear you're the man that carted off the records of the Imperial Court. I don't know how you managed to do it but from the looks of things you had quite a bit of help. Not much escaped the flames after all..."
Name: Ji Qing, Male (Born 228 B.C.) [18-58-106*-42-79]
Items: Book + 7 INT "Sān Mín Zhǔyì", Book + 7 INT "A Song of Ice and Fire"
Skills: Confuse II, Decoy II, Jeer II, Public Planner II
Zhou Kahn
Officer

Post by Zhou Kahn »

Mai Zu had made the long journey to Zhongxin Zhishi in a quick fashion. Her curiosity might one day kill her, but in this instance, she had decided against not listening to her inner self. She couldn't help it. Besides that, she had done some research about the library there after receiving a letter of invitation to go and meet with the head librarian there. So here she was, a day after arriving, to allow herself to rest. Now she was entering the library, her guards left to enjoy the village, ensured that she was safe in the place. Upon entering, she spoke quietly to the first person she found, curtsying before she spoke.

Mai Zu: "Excuse me, I am looking for Zu Yanghei. Do you know where I can find him?"
Mai Zu
Stats: 51-75-75-75-56
Skills: Artisan II, Civil Administrator II, Engineer II, Scribe III, Smith II, Trainer II
Mai Zu's Shop of Wonder