Changsha Provincial Roleplay

Moderator: Game Masters

TheCavalier
Not-so-new recruit

Re: Changsha Provincial Roleplay

Post by TheCavalier »

6 years ago men came and burned the settlement of Qiang Liao in Changsha, as part of a meaningless power struggle between petty Warlords. It was a place of no special regard, constructed as it was at the outermost border of the province, and along no particular trade route. Qiang Liao was known for one distinguishing feature: a long sturdy bridge that ran across a wide gorge. The bridge allowed ingress for the few traders bearing meager goods that could find no other home.

Even this bridge was destroyed in the aftermath of war; burned and tossed down into the canyon. Nothing seemed to remain of the place, and soon people ceased to speak of Qiang Liao. Travelers didn't go in search of the place. Many rumors spread that it was abandoned, or worse, haunted.

And yet this provincial footnote, no different than any other hundred of villages burned during the wars that would quickly come to define the period, was the birthplace of the Hundred-Span General. He was to set himself the task of preserving Qiang Liao; He was to write the name of the place with blood on the face of history.

It was a struggle for Tong Hanli to force himself to the top of the bluff, but everything was a struggle, and it always would be. That was life. It was pain and suffering, and anguish that would never be answered by Heaven or men.

But he would answer it. He had sworn that long ago. He would answer it, and he would make the cheats and the hypocrites suffer for their lies.

"Be careful up there Hanli, we don't know who is watching." Ding Zuan trundled up the hill, his back bent stiffly under his heavy cloth armor. "We haven't scouted this area."

"There is no one out here Grandfather. No one would care to come to such an arid place." Hanli looked down at the plains that ran for hundreds of miles around. There were other settlements down there of course, towns and cities that were suffering.

Hanli turned back to look at the few men who had followed him out of the camp. "Are you men ready?"

"We are sir." The man who looked back at him was at least fifteen years older. He looked like someone who was thinking about a family, maybe children or a wife back home.

"Good. You are dismissed."

The man saluted, and Ding Zuan clucked like a mother hen, no doubt finding fault with the man's form.

Hanli ignored it. "Alright, I'm going down there."

"Are you sure about this? It could be suicide." His adopted Grandfather had taken on the look of a man worrying about a future he could forsee, but in no way avoid.

"I've decided. Let's go." Hanli began making his way off the bluff, carefully manipulating the crutch he used to move.

Many people had called him half a man in his day, but he didn't hear them anymore. His dream had come true, and now he lived so that others might die.

Vengeance was coming for the evil-doers.

_____

Much later the doors to the Inn opened and an old man entered. He looked around, before being joined by a hooded figure who took a seat in a darker part of the bar. They both ordered food and drinks, but for the time being they watched and waited.

They had time...
Tong Hanli, The Hundred Span General (27) 75-21-74-47-68
Public Planner II, Diplomat I, Politican II, Scout II, Decoy I, Scribe II

Follower: Ding Zuan(76) 66-80-63-59-37 Smith II, Raid I, Jianshu I, Civil Administrator I, Cover I
Bonaparte
Marshal

Post by Bonaparte »

Deng Si is a son of the Yue people, and he was openly sympathetic with making lee way in trade between the Chu state and the multiple Yue groups. However, deep inside he deeply resented Chu after his ancestral home south was raged with war. His ancestors and the people living in his village moved to Guiyang to start over their lives. His family became relatively power, who gained respect from the local people in Changsha province, and Deng Si soon rose up to become an administer of a town. Deep inside he wished for a new established dynasty that will recognize his people's independence, but he himself has no ambition do so, and he laughed at the idea of leading a new dynasty. He was only one man, and is only a part Han Chinese. The furthest extent of his ambition is to peacefully rule the South, but many would say that is truly ambitious.

Deng Si: Indeed, these are tumultuous times, but that doesn't mean I can't for a drink.

Deng Si walks into a bar and ordered himself a few drinks.

OOC: Open RP. Sorry for a bad introduction, it's late at night.
Deng Yue, 40
51-46-50-78-80*
Military Administrator II, Civil Administrator II, Diplomat II, Politician II
Items: Horse (+1 Speed, E), Ring of Changsha (+3 Charisma, E)
TheCavalier
Not-so-new recruit

Post by TheCavalier »

Ding Zuan's eyes lit up as he looked across the bar at the man who had just entered. "One of them is here."

Tong Hanli tried to look up casually from beneath his cowl. His eyes lighted on the form of Deng Si, recognizing the influential man. He controlled one of the nearby towns, and he could be an instrumental ally, if such an alliance could possibly be made. "I'm going to talk to him."

Ding Zuan's shook his head. "Impossible. There is a way these things are done. And besides you..."

"I what?" Hanli's eyes burned from beneath his cowl. "Say it Grandfather."

"Nevermind." Ding Zuan looked away.

"Good. Never forget who saved our village, or who is in charge here. I won't be long."

Tong Hanli rose from his chair. He had become an expert with his crutch, to the point where it looked almost natural the way he favored one side. He stopped in front of the table of Deng Si.

Deng Si was confronted by a young man with deep scars on his arms and parts of his face. his hair was thin, and his limbs looked like they had wasted away in several places. he rested heavily on a single wooden crutch.

"Greetings. You are Deng Si are you not? f you have the time, I would like to discuss the state of the land of Changsha."
Tong Hanli, The Hundred Span General (27) 75-21-74-47-68
Public Planner II, Diplomat I, Politican II, Scout II, Decoy I, Scribe II

Follower: Ding Zuan(76) 66-80-63-59-37 Smith II, Raid I, Jianshu I, Civil Administrator I, Cover I
Belial
Marquis

Post by Belial »

Xe wrote:"I heard rumors of an ogre of a man in Wuling and I...I knew it was you...Father..." She gulped on her words, casting her gaze down. "For...the last year I've searched, listening and speaking to everyone I could to try to find some trace of you...I have news, Father...Uncle married me off to an ambitious soldier..." She closed her eyes, thinking for a time, as well as absorbing her father's reaction. "He is a good man, of course, and he treats me well..."
Guǎn​ Huáng felt his heart warm at that news despite the shock it gave him. So it seemed his daughter now had a husband.. but, to think of her married off to some ambitious soldier. It made his stomach turn as he mindlessly brushed that leaking jug aside, letting it noisily crash to the ground before he reached across the table. Picking up a small glass which he silently brought to his lips before he drained its contents and dropped it as well. So careless and brash of his actions, forever ignoring the almost tearful gaze of the bartender. "That is good. I would hate to hear you miserable.. I imagine your uncle gave you little choice in this? That is how you have made it sound."
Starring As:
The Hero of Xianyang, The Incorruptible Lu Chen, and the Glorious Emperor Kang!
Xe
Miss Pretty

Post by Xe »

"It is...True, that Uncle gave me little choice in the manner. But Zhefu is a good man, Father." Xiuying spoke more now that she was warming up to the bar and her father's attitude, feeling safe again. "He is strong, and ambitious. He has many friends and allies. He is a very good man." She said, smiling. "Forgive Uncle, father, for it is a right choice. With Zhefu, the Guan family could become great..."
Guan Xiuying, 15, Female
41-44-73-57-108*
Diplomat II, Doctor, Engineer II, Politician II, Propagandist

[23:26] <Aleksandr> The way you get a GF is be like
[23:26] <Aleksandr> Bitch, I don't smell dinner cooking
[23:27] <@Kern> I've gotten all my girlfriends with my welding skill, and some Roofies.
Belial
Marquis

Post by Belial »

Guǎn​ Huáng remained impassive as he sat there. His once more stoic face merely gazing upon the table as he folded his arms across his chest and listened to his daughter's pleas. "Then he expects you to have a son when you do not bless your own marriage? Does he not care for your own opinion of the man? What of my brother, what does he seek to gain by marrying you away to this ambitious soldier?" Guǎn​ Huáng questioned. "Power? Is this what he has told you? He expects power and wealth by giving you away to some soldier?"
Starring As:
Xe
Miss Pretty

Post by Xe »

"I agree to the marriage, father, I really do. Zhefu is wonderful." She looks down, however, her smiling disappearing. "...It might have been for his own power. Even if it was, I don't mind. I really like Zhefu, and if I could, I'd agree to the marriage every time." She lightly set her hand down on his hand. "I...Sometimes imagine that Zhefu and I are like you and mother..."
Guan Xiuying, 15, Female
41-44-73-57-108*

[23:27] <@Kern> I've gotten all my girlfriends with my welding skill, and some Roofies.
Belial
Marquis

Post by Belial »

Guǎn​ Huáng scowled and for a long moment he merely gazed upon the table. Oh, his blood burned at those words. The comparison of his daughter and this man to him and his wife? His daughter had grudgingly accepted this marriage! He could tell when she lied to him and it made his vision blur as his fingers tightened upon the table's edge. As his teeth sit. To compare this forced marriage to him and his beloved Yu...

"I see." Guǎn​ Huáng commented as he rose from the table. "Now, I must ask. What brings you to Changsha? You have traveled far from your husband's side. You should be within his home, ready to meet his every need." Guǎn​ Huáng continued before crossing the room. Simply grasping at that axe which he tested, hefting it to and fro between his hands. Testing its weight as he gazed upon that bloodstained bronze and scowled. Only, to slam it through the bar's counter. It slamming through and burying deep into the wood as he simply vaulted over the counter and approached upon the bartender. "I said get me a drink!" he roared only for the mouse like bartender to scurry backwards. "But.. you never asked for a refill!" the man squeaked while Guǎn​ Huáng merely stared at him. His face twisted in rage as his hand shot forth and he picked the man free from the ground. Simply holding him by the front of his shirt as he scowled. "Refill, please." Guǎn​ Huáng hissed, his drunken breathe rolling across his features before he dropped the man and vaulted back over the counter. His hulking form lumbering back towards the table, a visible anger upon his features.
Starring As:
Xe
Miss Pretty

Post by Xe »

Xiuying timidly looked down, after watching her father's spasm of anger, and seeing him angry. "He..." She began, before stopping. She bit her lower lip, glancing at her father. "He...came here with me. He awaits outside, waiting to meet you, Father..." She said, looking down. "He wanted to meet you, and also wanted to make sure I was fine...I asked to come in here alone, to prepare you to meet him, so you wouldn't be angry with him..."
Guan Xiuying, 15, Female
41-44-73-57-108*

Belial
Marquis

Post by Belial »

Guǎn​ Huáng​ stiffened and for a moment he merely stood there, his eyes focused upon his daughter. Slowly did his lips split though.. so the bandit who stole his gem had the balls to face him? "Is that so? Well, daddy is ready to meet him!" Guǎn​ Huáng​ roared before crossing over to the counter. Snatching up that bloodstained axe before kicking over a few of the barrels. Bending over as he snatched up a dusty sack which had laid below the barrels. Opening it up, he removed a small wooden shield that he dropped to the counter. Only, to haul out a leather set of lamellar which he quickly placed over his head. "Oh Zhefu? Zhefu! Father Guǎn​ wants to meet you!" the monster of Changsha roared as he snatched up that shield and axe and began to storm towards the door.
Starring As: