Administrator

Huainan Provincial Roleplay

Post by ann »

For roleplay in Huainan.
Unchained Phoenix
Colonel

Post by Unchained Phoenix »

It was strange.

The Eastern Sea was seemingly limitless in its expanse, disappearing into a heavy mist that ran along the horizon. The waters were impossibly deep and if there really was life out there, how could they live so far from intelligent civilization? Were they also looking into this asphyxiating fog, wondering what was out there past the furthest reaches of their imagination. In reality, the Sea was not too large as compared to the other seas and oceans of the world, and its depth could one day be measured. The mist would eventually fade as permanent as it seemed, and the world would continue to operate as it had for thousands and thousands of years, not at all dependent on China. Absurd, that notion was, especially considering how many important changes were happening on the mainland. They may not have been the center of the world, but this was definitely the place where the era’s greatest legends were born and nurtured. Nowhere else mattered. Nowhere.

The bow’s string creaked as his nimble and somewhat inexperienced fingers drew it tight. Somehow he felt the fragile ticking of time in his mind and in his joints. A hyperawareness plagued him on the daily, but it also made him stronger. Focus and determination were now his middle names. The arrow shivered under the weight of his resolve, feeling in his digits all of the cunning and tact that got him to this point today, now entering adulthood and growing strong at an exponential rate. To take aim into the drab scenery was to take aim into the future, charting his course point by point and vaccinating himself against the disease that now plagued his country’s leaders. They were pathetic, and most likely acne-ridden to boot.

“Sir, are you frozen? Need you my assistance?” came a deep voice.
“W-W-WHAT?! Are you kidding me right now? Are you serious? Is this a friggin’ joke?” the archer howled, lowering his bow and looking over his shoulder to see his concerned bodyguard slowly approaching his vantage point. The winds picked up to verify his discontent, sending loose hairs flying around the young man’s smoothed features.

“I’m sorry Sir, I just…”
“No, you’re right. You just. You just, that’s all! Again, you just distracted me from my training. Just go take a walk. Actually, take a jog. Take a run. Run down to the shore and throw your head into the sea and hold your breath until you see spots. Maybe then you’ll be able to give that oblong lump you call a head a jumpstart, Yuan Man.”

Now, by no means was Yuan Man mentally retarded or anything of that nature. He was a bit slow, having never attended school, and this “quality” of his was what Puyang Shuang preyed on most. Ever ready to unintentionally bolster the savant’s self-esteem, Yuan Man quickly became Shuang’s most trusted aide. The two met in unusual circumstances, and they therefore had an unusual relationship. The nobleman would never confess to appreciating Man’s company and protection, but felt unequivocally on-edge whenever Man wandered off to do god-knows-what. Sometimes Puyang Shuang that his guard would accidentally kill himself trying to do what was sarcastically suggested of him, and thus he spoke with a tone that was not one-hundred percent biting. If his aspirations were to be realized, Yuan Man would need to be there by his side. It was pitiful, but it was the truth. Always plan ahead young dragon, always plan ahead.

And thus, as Puyang Shuang continued to yell at Man for ruining his shot into the sea, and as Man tendered his never-ending apologies, no doubt the passersby in the Lizi Village would overhear the ruckus down near the jagged rocks. It was generally a tranquil area, so the fits of noise and rage were a breath of fresh air, oddly enough.

(Open RP)
Puyang Shuang (19) 60-45-114*-43-80*
Aid II, Confuse I, Decoy I, Deride II, Entangle I, Jeer I, Scout II, Scribe II
7986 (100) Troops
547g

Followers: Hua Gongming, Yuan Man
Jiang Chao
Officer

Re: Huainan Provincial Roleplay

Post by Jiang Chao »

Huaiyin

In the most bustling hours of the agricultural city of Huaiyin, Lu Shu made his journey to the city. Even though it was winter, and the farmers were all home, he could see the marks of great fields that would, in only a half year, become home to a vast amount of grains. Lu Shu admired the history, as well as the traditions maintained in Huaiyin. Unfortunately, Xiang Yu's division of the Qin Empire had lead to many warlords rising up to claim their share of the land. Lu Shu wanted to make sure that Huaiyin was in good hands, that the city had the means to protect itself if a warlords would come to claim it.

He approached the guards to the Magistrates Hall. "Excuse me Sirs, I am Lu Shu from the town of Yutai. Will the Magistrate allow me to speak to him?"
Huang Ning. 28
92-72-44-68-31
Military Administrator II, Discipline II, Sortie II, Rupture II, Delay II, Entrench

Very Dead Guy Lu Shu, 23
62-19-78-38-85
Deride II, Diplomat II, Politician III, Rally II
Zhao Ren
Marquis

Post by Zhao Ren »

Jiang Chao wrote:Huaiyin

In the most bustling hours of the agricultural city of Huaiyin, Lu Shu made his journey to the city. Even though it was winter, and the farmers were all home, he could see the marks of great fields that would, in only a half year, become home to a vast amount of grains. Lu Shu admired the history, as well as the traditions maintained in Huaiyin. Unfortunately, Xiang Yu's division of the Qin Empire had lead to many warlords rising up to claim their share of the land. Lu Shu wanted to make sure that Huaiyin was in good hands, that the city had the means to protect itself if a warlords would come to claim it.

He approached the guards to the Magistrates Hall. "Excuse me Sirs, I am Lu Shu from the town of Yutai. Will the Magistrate allow me to speak to him?"
The guards on duty were almost more ape than man, large brutes of men that surely had to be bandits and brigands before their newest career as the 'Magistrate's guards, a career move that seemed to have paid off rather nicely judging by the countless ornamentations that now adorned their attire. With a crooked smile, the officer in charge of these men replied, almost tauntingly, "What's this? A little man from a little town wanting to speak to the Boss?" He turned aside and in a cruel tone, said two words (which almost sounded more like one), "Search 'em." Lu Shu was immediately set upon by at least three men. With no concern for decency or privacy, they immediately patted the man down and confiscated any weapons, a complete rejection of any etiquette whatsoever. Looking back with a smug grin, the man ordered, "Come along then, the Boss doesn't like waiting for long!" The crude gates, nicked with various cuts and gashes, soon opened, and the scholar of Yutai was ushered (or shoved) inside.

Inside, Lu Shu saw several more of these highwayman thugs, each gathered into little camp groups. While a fair distance away, Lu Shu could overhear what he certainly had to believe, talks of raids and outright thievery, burning down the occasional manner that resisted the 'great' rule of Sugeng Hao, boss of the Black Serpents! In case he had not noticed before, it became readily apparent that each man in the 'Magistrate's employ wore a scarf of black somewhere on his person, be it tied around his head, worn around the neck or arm, or even tucked in one's sash. The bandit officer came to the doors of the largest building. As he opened them, a haze of sweet-smelling smoke came through, expensive incense of saffron and sage and countless other herbs.

As he was guided through the building, he saw the spoils of many successful raids, pillaged from those unwilling to accept the rule of Sugeng Hao. A pair of girls, barely clad in anything at all, dashed out of one room and into another, giggling all the while. The officer gave a brief nod in that direction and smirked,
"Nice 'uns, eh? Pay 'em a little gold and it goes a looong way, ya' know what I mean?" Glancing towards the half-closed door of that room, the bandit gave a brief tsk before continuing onwards, no further explanation given to why he might have been disappointed. Eventually, they reached the audience hall itself, which the officer flung open without any hesitation.

If Lu Shu felt scandalized by the sight of the two girls earlier, he would have been utterly horrified now, for there were several dozen more women in the audience chamber, some in even less than the two before. Opulence was one word for how the audience hall appeared, everything gilded with likely-stolen gold. The smell of incense was strong, drowning out all other smells, likely to Lu Shu's benefit. The whimpering cries of some girls paired with pleasured moans from others filled the air. As for Sugeng Hao himself? He sat upon the throne of Huaiyin, large and ornate from the trade that once went through the city, two girls on each arm. Utterly annoyed at the interruption, he glared at Lu Shu first, then the officer before he shoved one of the women aside. Growling, he asked,
"What d'ya want? I'm busy!" If the question had been asked to the officer, it was clear he wasn't going to answer, instead allowing Lu Shu the 'honor' of answering to the Boss of Huaiyin.
Mei Ji (梅吉), the Flying General (飛將軍)
90*-69-33-72*-41 Aid III, Dash II, Discipline II, Military Administrator I, Wall II

GM NPCs: Empy Yi, Xiao He (蕭何), Tian Rong (田荣)

"The common people pray for rain, healthy children, and a summer that never ends. It is no matter to them if the high lords play their game of thrones, so long as they are left in peace. They never are."
Jiang Chao
Officer

Post by Jiang Chao »

As Lu Shu accompanied the officer through the compound, he was overwhelmed by shock and awe. The two of them neared the Chamber of the Boss, and Lu Shu had to make a quick decision. Was he to try to persuade the leader, or would he head to another city? Time was scarce, and finally they entered the room, which by descriptions seemed to be overflowed with prostitution and spoils from raiding and previous administrations. Lu Shu stod infront of the big man on the seat, and was requested to state his business.

Lu Shu made a ferocious stance, with his robe hiding the fact that his physical appearance was not comparable to any of the men around him. "BOSS!" He yelled, having yet to receive the name of the leader. "How would you like to be the King of China? The whole of the Imperial Treasury could be yours! You could be the Emperor with the Thousand Concubines! What do you say? Are you content with what you have here, when you could have a palace a hundred times the size of this place?" Lu Shu looked around at all the other bandits surrounding him. "I can make you all rich, if you will follow me!"

These bandits were obviously too illiterate to manage a city like Huaiyin, however, if Lu Shu could convince them to work for him, he could have raised a formidable army already.
Huang Ning. 28
92-72-44-68-31
Military Administrator II, Discipline II, Sortie II, Rupture II, Delay II, Entrench

Very Dead Guy Lu Shu, 23
62-19-78-38-85
Zhao Ren
Marquis

Post by Zhao Ren »

A silence came over the room, at least, for those who could be bothered to stop their activities to pay attention to the madman shouting at their boss. One man uttered, "What?" which seemed to be the general consensus of the group. Sugeng Hao replied, "What d'ya mean 'King of China'? Can't ya' see I got it made here?" He laughed, but there was a sense of nervousness unease in it, as though he wasn't entirely convinced of his own words. He furrowed his brow and then continued, "Not that being King a' China would be bad, but nah, too much work. Huaiyin can support Sugeng Hao's Black Serpents for years to come, am I right?!" A general cheer came over the crowd, or at least the bandits. Sugeng Hao chuckled, nodding his head, "So unless ya' can give me the head of that Hegemon-King on a platter, I thinks I'll be passing on that offer."
90*-69-33-72*-41 Aid III, Dash II, Discipline II, Military Administrator I, Wall II

"The common people pray for rain, healthy children, and a summer that never ends. It is no matter to them if the high lords play their game of thrones, so long as they are left in peace. They never are."
Jiang Chao
Officer

Post by Jiang Chao »

Although slightly disappointed by the answers, Lu Shu's determination did not falter. "Tsh! What kind of a bandit gang are you, if you do not accept a challenge for bigger spoils! I have never seen a stationary bandit gang, nor pirates who stay in one port. Sugeng Hao, are you a coward? Will you settle for petty spoils? The coincidence that I am here to offer you this oppurtunity, must be an omen from the heavens. Sugeng Hao, I challenge you to be above yourself. Think about your future." Lu Shu's voice had begun to calm down, and a more serious tone was now spoken. "It is only a matter of time before Xiang Yu sends an army of fifty thousand men to bring Huainan under control, and even more likely is an army from the south, marching north to conquer these fertile lands. I will return next month to hear your answer. Think about your future, Sugeng Hao."
Huang Ning. 28
92-72-44-68-31

Very Dead Guy Lu Shu, 23
62-19-78-38-85
Zhao Ren
Marquis

Post by Zhao Ren »

"Hey, hey, hey! No one threatens Sugeng Hao!" The bandit magistrate of Huaiyin roared, rising to his feet, drawing a blade with a smooth motion. Pointing the tip of it at Lu Shu, he growled, "No one calls Sugeng Hao a coward."

"Yeah! The Boss took this city by himself!" One of the bandits cried out in support of their leader. Another was heard to say, "And we got thousands a' farms to pick from! We'll be good for years!" A third snickered, "Especially after we've got the aristocracy and officials in our pocket. Ain't no way we're going down without a fight."

Sugeng Hao gave a satisfied grin and scoffed, "Yeah, that's right. How about you try and get that King to come down here, I'll show him what's for!" Sugeng Hao chuckled again. "Now get."

Jiang Chao
Officer

Post by Jiang Chao »

Lu Shu retreated a few steps as he was told to leave, and then took a deep bow before turning around and leaving the compound. Lu Shu was grateful that the blade did not scar his nose or anything, as well as for the strongly scented candling in the hall. It was obvious that Huaiyin was a lost cause. Maybe another warlord would be able to subdue this rufian. At the moment, Lu Shu would have to appeal to the other city in Huainan.

A few days later...

Xuyi

As normally, Lu Shu was travelling with his meat bun upon his head and sunglasses as well. This time he was in the city of Xuyi. He had hoped that Xuyi was more fruitful than the corrupt administration of Sugeng Hao. Lu Shu wandered through many streets before finally arriving at his destination. He approached the building, and bowed to the guards before presenting himself. "I am Lu Shu, I come from Yutai and wish to speak to the Magistrate here."
Huang Ning. 28
92-72-44-68-31

Very Dead Guy Lu Shu, 23
62-19-78-38-85
Zhao Ren
Marquis

Post by Zhao Ren »

Jiang Chao wrote:Xuyi

As normally, Lu Shu was travelling with his meat bun upon his head and sunglasses as well. This time he was in the city of Xuyi. He had hoped that Xuyi was more fruitful than the corrupt administration of Sugeng Hao. Lu Shu wandered through many streets before finally arriving at his destination. He approached the building, and bowed to the guards before presenting himself. "I am Lu Shu, I come from Yutai and wish to speak to the Magistrate here."
As Lu Shu came up to the administrative palace of Xuyi, he found that the number of guards on duty was surprisingly low. As he was questioned, one of the officers looked to Lu Shu with a thoughtful gaze. He then nodded his head and smiled, "Certainly. Magistrate Deng always finds time to meet with his guests." With an ornate, almost ritualistic bow, the officer then lead Lu Shu through the gates. In stark contrast to his experience in Huaiyin, the palace of Xuyi seemed quiet, almost abandoned. A lone guard stood sentry at a rather plain, wooden door. Frightened, he went to level his spear at the pair before recognizing the officer. With a shaky salute, he then opened the door, revealing a massive library. Hunched over a scroll was a young man, his eyes unfocused, entirely enthralled in his reading. As the officer began to step in, the man rose a hand. "There and no further!" The man cleared his throat and recited, "A cloud was my mother, the wind is my father, my son is the cool stream, and my daughter is the fruit of the land. A rainbow is my bed, the earth my final resting place, and I'm the torment of man. What am I?"