Liang Provincial Roleplay

Moderator: Game Masters

gravenimages
General
Location: Sanctify them through Thy truth: Thy word is truth. John. 17:17

Re: Liang Provincial Roleplay

Post by gravenimages »

Wu shrugged at the statement, aware of the man's scrutiny. "It would seem that you had more to do with securing Liang than I. I have done little more than move to aid the other generals who came east, and a recent show of force to keep Yin from being overrun." The soon-to-be Duke fell silent for a moment, his gaze going towards the gates of Dingtao. "And for this I am rewarded with title, and will command the resources of an entire province... Because I have put the interests of Chu above personal gain."

V1: Absentee
V2: Da Re, child Duke of Yin
V3: Ouhuan Bai Zhan
V4: Xiang Hin (the PC formerly known as Hin Wu) http://www.simwarlords.net/forum/viewto ... 69#p177169
Phailak
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Phailak »

Yue nodded.

"Do you think the unity of Liang will present a juicy target for the vultures around it? Surely you have not made a friend with your honorable deed of defending Yin. Qi remains forever hesitant but for how long can their ambitions be contained? Wu and Ma Dieu will probably keep each other occupied though it was surprising to see the Wu forces on the horizon this month..."

Yue shifted his weight.

"Perhaps, when you see the King, you might petition to have him keep a small army, with me at its head, in Liang to hold off any invasions until he can come himself with reinforcements? I would make such a suggestion myself, but I fear the King will only shrug any of my concerns away. Perhaps you will have better luck in manipulating the suggestion to him. If you can make it look like it's his idea, you are sure to succeed."

Yue studied the new crowned Duke closely for a reaction. Even such a suggestion should it come to Xiang Yu's ears could mean treason to the King, despite Yue's best efforts to remain loyal.
gravenimages
General

Post by gravenimages »

Wu considered only moments... His reaction seemed to be that of a man who considered the intellectual aspect first, and thinking aloud at that, before exploring consequence. "Liang has long been a lightly defended province, seemingly easily conquered. Only the support of Chu, and the prospect of holding territory adjacent to Chu, has kept our enemies at bay. The attacks both on Yin and the Wu army's approaching Liang would seem to indicate that such is no longer the case."

He glances once more at Dingtao, and then to the north and east. "Stationing one of his armies in Liang is, or more accurately was the King's idea when he sent Qing Bu. Even though his intention may have been a misdirection action into Jiaoxi while he moved to secure Liang, the presence of a Chu army in the province may well have kept Wu from acting sooner. Further, having an army closer to the territories of Qi will allow more flexibility when we choose to shift from a defensive strategy to one of attack."

He looks back to Peng Yue. "Or so it would seem to me. Do you believe this reasoning will sway the King's mind? And if I may ask... How does Peng Yue benefit from my doing so?"

V4: Xiang Hin (the PC formerly known as Hin Wu) http://www.simwarlords.net/forum/viewto ... 69#p177169
Phailak
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Phailak »

Yue rubbed his chin in thought.

"It might well be enough, I am not the best person to read the King's mind."

The Commander looked back at the camp.

"There is no benefit for me outside of actually being on the field of battle, too long have I been stuck in Chu chastising drill sergeants. Still, I do not like being within the King's ill temper these days, this would offer me the opportunity to breathe some relief."

As if he might of said too much already, Yue stretched his shoulders for a moment.

"I assume I will know if you have had some success by the orders I receive. Try to make sure I am selected as Commander, not every officer here would see an assignment to Liang as a boon. The army size is not as important, so long as we can stand while the King arrives with reinforcements. Maybe try to use Tian Rong as bait, the King has some crazed hatred for the man, say you would want to hold the line against Tian Rong should he come until he can come relieve you..."

Yue waited to see if perhaps the Duke had something else to suggest.
gravenimages
General

Post by gravenimages »

After a period of consideration, Hin Wu frowned, crossing his arms over his chest. "Something... Something swift, and something bloody, is going to happen in Chu... And soon. While you do not oppose it, you do not wish to be caught up in it... Either because you do not fully believe in it, or because the outcome is in doubt in your mind. This is why you wish an assignment in Liang." This was not quite an accusation, not quite a question... Instead spoken flatly as if discussing the weather. The look he cast Peng Yue was much milder than the situation called for, more of understanding than inquisition.

Phailak
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Phailak »

Yue shrugged.

"I do not care to see blood spill or change occur in any way, shape or form. That being said, I do not like being kept in the dark or anticipate attacks from the shadow and be swept away by some unseen torrent in the night. I also do not like my advice and recommendations falling on deaf ears. Chu is vulnerable, was I presented with an opportunity I could even easily ensure its fall. Months I have waited and even tried to initiate something to no avail, so now I would prefer being on the outside looking in. Choose my side in a conflict, should said conflict occur."

Yue thought for another moment.

"I do not fear Baocen Peng and Ma Dieu, yet they are very resourceful and have handed a very powerful defeat to Wu despite their limited resources. That often creates a strong bond between Warlords. Perhaps the rumors of the ill King in Wu are true and a direct cause of such victories, still this southern coalition remains right now the only threat to Chu even if Xiang Yu is blind to it. There is no way Ma Dieu and Baocen Peng can match the armies of Chu, yet they have proven to have a way so sway others to their side, especially the Ma clan. Then there is the masked Rebel in Qi which you and I might be facing soon enough, he can quickly become a threat to Xiang Yu if he moves against Liang and the presence of Tian Rong seems to divert all of Xiang Yu's attention right now. Somehow, Tian Rong seems to be key or that is how I feel anyway, but I do not have a plan to use it either way. The Emperor's fall seems a sure omen for the need to have a major shift in Chu, but what that should be I cannot say."

Yue's confession on such matters to a stranger spoke volumes of his desperation. Still, he felt he was not vulnerable to Hin Wu since the Duke himself was in a very volatile situation and would need help should he wish to hold Liang. Yue wondered briefly if this man could have even greater ambitions and his lip curled into a smile at the thought.
gravenimages
General

Post by gravenimages »

The Duke shrugged... It seemed to be a day for such. "I have considered it, as a purely intellectual exercise. The doing of the thing, as formidable an undertaking as it would be, pales in comparison to shaping the aftermath so that Chu emerges less vulnerable rather than moreso. Such a scenario would require a replacement which would be deemed... Palatable... By whatever factions remained, and the implication of an external entity in the act so as to provide a unifying threat."

Hin Wu quirks a wry smile, looking back towards Suiyang. "as chance would have it, I had a similar discussion not too long ago with my newly-appointed General, Cao Can. While the reasoning for such may have been... Biased, we concluded that I myself might meet the criterion for a palatable replacement."

It was the second time he had spoken those words... The first time in a kind of wonder, now simply as speculation. He watched for the other man's reaction.

Phailak
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Phailak »

Yue raised an eyebrow.

"Though I do not doubt you have the integrity and perhaps even the ambition to accomplish such a feat, can you acquire the means to do so? If time was not of the essence, I could see you create a network of allies and eventually step in, but how can you accomplish this now? Qi has been held in check by Shi Tong, Ma Dieu by Wu, Baocen Peng by his western enemies, but how long can such a balance last?"
gravenimages
General

Post by gravenimages »

Hin Wu smiled, it was a rare thing. "Eventual imbalance in one or more of those equations would be key to maintaining and strengthening a new administration in Chu... The unifying, external threat.

Time, and allies could be supplemented with diplomacy and perhaps a hint of subterfuge. For example, were I able to count such as Cao Can and Peng Yue as allies, their influential words could paint Hin Wu not as a strong leader, but as a 'palatable replacement', who by all indications is a loyal son of Chu, a capable administrator, a man with integrity but not a great deal of ambition... Idealistic, populist, and perhaps a tad naive to things political. In essence, a figurehead."

The man's smile fades, and his look to his companion becomes serious. "Compromises and bargains could be struck, the various factions brought to cooperation by external threats, and at such times there would surely be opportunities to deal with those internal factors who prove... Troublesome. Power would be consolidated within while threats were turned away without."

A wry smile surfaces briefly. "Or so I have reasoned... This being a purely intellectual exercise after all."

Phailak
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Phailak »

Yue grunted.

"Yes, indeed. Well, you now know you can contact me if such opportunities and theories come to life. I am not a great planner, I act and react to palpable events. Right now I hope to help you secure Liang and wait to see what happens. I think that is the first step, would you not agree?"