Zhao Provincial Roleplay

Moderator: Game Masters

Cao Chao
Marquis
Location: That which is unknown and unseen always commands the greatest fear.

Re: Zhao Provincial Roleplay

Post by Cao Chao »

Lionheart wrote:Ba Rong looked impatiently around him as he looked over his "army", near the outskirts of one of the many villages of Zhao province at dusk on one cold February evening. His new motley crew of soldiers was not anything near what he needed. Not anything near what he wanted. Furthermore, they were horribly untrained and unmotivated. He knew that he could whip them into shape, but that would take time and eat into his ability to recruit more soldiers to his cause. Disgusted with how the Chu treated the people in their captured territories from the defeated Qin, Ba Rong, a minor officer at the time, left the services of the new King of Chu and decided to set out for himself and see what he could gain in this still very lawless land.

The whole reason why he had left his family's comfortable estate in Julu was to try and pacify the land, try to bring a lasting peace to it like the Qin tried (and failed miserably) to do. However, in his time with the armies of Chu, he had realized that that what Chu had to offer was not what he wanted for the land of the Middle Kingdom. So here he was...but yet, he couldn't help but to feel somewhat discouraged with this basically ragtag band of men he newly had under his command. The men ate their meals around their campfires for warmth and nourishment, and Ba Rong sighed, looking onto the horizon, into the fading day. Soon, it would be nightfall. Soon, it would be a new day...and soon, he would have something hopefully to call his own...or so he hoped, at any rate.
On one of his many exploratory and fact-finding missions, the young general named Yi Zhiwen happened upon a small military force encamped on the outskirts of one of the villages of the provinces of Zhao. Clutching tightly his sword, Zhiwen carefully guided his horse to the entrance of the encampment. Clasping his hands together, the young general saluted the men on guard. "Greetings, I am Yi Zhiwen of Qi," he said, introducing himself. "I am a traveler. From afar, I espied your fires. I was wondering if it was possible to share your dinner and perhaps speak with your commander."
Lionheart
The best KT Monkey
Location: I once ran away from the god of Fear and gave into despair~

Post by Lionheart »

Cao Chao wrote:On one of his many exploratory and fact-finding missions, the young general named Yi Zhiwen happened upon a small military force encamped on the outskirts of one of the villages of the provinces of Zhao. Clutching tightly his sword, Zhiwen carefully guided his horse to the entrance of the encampment. Clasping his hands together, the young general saluted the men on guard. "Greetings, I am Yi Zhiwen of Qi," he said, introducing himself. "I am a traveler. From afar, I espied your fires. I was wondering if it was possible to share your dinner and perhaps speak with your commander."
The man on guard did not seem to be very enthused about having to speak to anyone, let alone a total stranger. As far as he was concerned, he just wanted to do his job...which, considering his young age, he did not know how to do very well. He certainly saw Yi Zhiwen approaching the camp, but he did not seem to be very concerned about his approach like a normal guard would. Indeed, he seemed almost as if he was ambivalent to the mounted man. Upon his declaration of purpose, the guard turned to one of his compatriots and said, "'Ey, Yang! Can ye go an' git th' boss? 'Es got someone tha' wants ta talk ta 'im."

The nearest guard nodded his head and disappeared, coming back a few minutes later with a rather tall man with long, flowing black hair and a neatly trimmed beard, wielding a spear, though not in a threatening manner: it was clasped to his back. He looked as if he knew how to use it, but didn't appear to want to. Ba Rong appeared to carry about him the air of an unrefined noble, one shaped by the Chu-Qin wars...not an uncommon sight these days. He bowed before Yi Zhiwen, clasping his hands before him before arching his back in a formal bow.

"Greetings, Lord Yi of Qi. I heard that you want to dine with us this evening. The more the merrier, I say. I can't promise that the rations will be very good, but the villagers were nice enough to donate some food to us in exchange for their protection. They call this place of theirs 'Xingtai'. A little charming if I do say so myself."

He waved the stranger into the encampment (if it could be called much of one, with its scattered fires and tents) with a smile, leading him to the largest tent, apparently his. Inside it wasn't much to speak of: a slightly better cot with a chest at its head, a table and two chairs. Motioning for his guest to sit down on the table before him, and then took his own seat. Smiling he took out a flask of wine and two cups from his chest, pouring one for his guest first, then himself. Toasting, he took the first drink himself--a sign to show that it was safe to drink. "So what can I do for you, Lord Yi? I'm sure that you came here for more than just food. I've got mine on the way, so it would not be much to ask to feed you as well."
Ba Rong (仈荣) the Lionheart (狮心) (25) 91*-91*-44-65-20*
Aid I, Charge II, Instructor II, Raid II, Rupture II, Scout I, Qiangshu I

[15:47] * bond4154 has yet to see a Communist crack a good joke.
[15:17] <KungZhi> I sodomize my students every day.
[14:32] <Dreamer> Hitler is so kawaii~
[22:11] <Angelic_Crux> "You can't understand Asia. Asia is totally baffling unless you have a degree in Asianism."
[13:32] <Stedfel> My mother, despite what the beard would tell you, is a woman.
Cao Chao
Marquis

Post by Cao Chao »

Lionheart wrote:"Greetings, Lord Yi of Qi. I heard that you want to dine with us this evening. The more the merrier, I say. I can't promise that the rations will be very good, but the villagers were nice enough to donate some food to us in exchange for their protection. They call this place of theirs 'Xingtai'. A little charming if I do say so myself."

He waved the stranger into the encampment (if it could be called much of one, with its scattered fires and tents) with a smile, leading him to the largest tent, apparently his. Inside it wasn't much to speak of: a slightly better cot with a chest at its head, a table and two chairs. Motioning for his guest to sit down on the table before him, and then took his own seat. Smiling he took out a flask of wine and two cups from his chest, pouring one for his guest first, then himself. Toasting, he took the first drink himself--a sign to show that it was safe to drink. "So what can I do for you, Lord Yi? I'm sure that you came here for more than just food. I've got mine on the way, so it would not be much to ask to feed you as well."
Zhiwen dismounted from his horse in one smooth motion. Clasping his hands together, he greeted the man politely. "Please, there is no need to call me a lord," he said with a friendly smile. "Though I am a descendant of a noble line, I am now a commoner like everyone else. After the Qin unified the Middle Kingdom and after the Hegemonic King sacked Xianyang . . . there are no real nobles left . . . unless you want to count those over in Chu." The last bit was said with a sigh.

"I stopped by primarily for conversation," he said with a shrug. "With what's been happening in the Middle Kingdom, information is a highly sought after commodity, especially as the various regional governors try and break away from the Hegemonic King in Chu." Taking a seat at the table, the young general stopped Ba Rong from pouring drinks for the two of them, instead handing over a wineskin of the finest aged Qi wine. "I'll cover the drink, you cover the food," he said with a grin, "Sound good to you . . . uh . . . Sir? Hmm . . . what's your name, commander?"
Lionheart
The best KT Monkey

Post by Lionheart »

Cao Chao wrote:Zhiwen dismounted from his horse in one smooth motion. Clasping his hands together, he greeted the man politely. "Please, there is no need to call me a lord," he said with a friendly smile. "Though I am a descendant of a noble line, I am now a commoner like everyone else. After the Qin unified the Middle Kingdom and after the Hegemonic King sacked Xianyang . . . there are no real nobles left . . . unless you want to count those over in Chu." The last bit was said with a sigh.

"I stopped by primarily for conversation," he said with a shrug. "With what's been happening in the Middle Kingdom, information is a highly sought after commodity, especially as the various regional governors try and break away from the Hegemonic King in Chu." Taking a seat at the table, the young general stopped Ba Rong from pouring drinks for the two of them, instead handing over a wineskin of the finest aged Qi wine. "I'll cover the drink, you cover the food," he said with a grin, "Sound good to you . . . uh . . . Sir? Hmm . . . what's your name, commander?"
Ba Rong blinked once, then let out a sudden burst of embarrassed laughter. "Please excuse my rudeness--can't believe that I didn't introduce myself before. The name's Ba Rong, a son of Zhao. I worked for the Chu armies in the Chu-Qin wars as a minor officer, but I left their forces after I saw how they treated Xianyang after taking it. Disgusting. But enough of that! I'll gladly take you up on your offer of wine. Where's this stuff from, anyway?"

Doing good on his word, he offered his cup and assuming that he was poured a cup, he took a sip. "So you said that a fact-finding mission brings you to Zhao, eh? What are you particularly looking for here? I know that there are a lot of private armies here--mine included--but surely you have more to do here than check up on them, no, Yi Zhiwen?"

As soon as he had finished those words, a man came in carrying two bowls of gruel mixed with pieces of pork and cooked vegetables. Setting down a bowl for each man, the guard bowed and took his leave. Ba Rong stared at the food for a moment, chuckling to himself before he took a bite. "Maybe I really am a spoiled brat. I don't think I could ever get fully used to this food. But at least it fills the stomach! Bottoms up!"

[22:11] <Angelic_Crux> "You can't understand Asia. Asia is totally baffling unless you have a degree in Asianism."
Cao Chao
Marquis

Post by Cao Chao »

Lionheart wrote:Ba Rong blinked once, then let out a sudden burst of embarrassed laughter. "Please excuse my rudeness--can't believe that I didn't introduce myself before. The name's Ba Rong, a son of Zhao. I worked for the Chu armies in the Chu-Qin wars as a minor officer, but I left their forces after I saw how they treated Xianyang after taking it. Disgusting. But enough of that! I'll gladly take you up on your offer of wine. Where's this stuff from, anyway?"

Doing good on his word, he offered his cup and assuming that he was poured a cup, he took a sip. "So you said that a fact-finding mission brings you to Zhao, eh? What are you particularly looking for here? I know that there are a lot of private armies here--mine included--but surely you have more to do here than check up on them, no, Yi Zhiwen?"

As soon as he had finished those words, a man came in carrying two bowls of gruel mixed with pieces of pork and cooked vegetables. Setting down a bowl for each man, the guard bowed and took his leave. Ba Rong stared at the food for a moment, chuckling to himself before he took a bite. "Maybe I really am a spoiled brat. I don't think I could ever get fully used to this food. But at least it fills the stomach! Bottoms up!"
"Good to make your acquaintance, Sir Ba," replied Zhiwen, clasping his hands together and greeted the man.

Raising his cup, he saluted the man. "It is few and far between the individuals who understand just how disgustingly ruthless the Hegemonic King of Western Chu is," he said in a warm tone, "Especially rare are those amongst the Hegemonic King's followers who recognize the folly of alienating the common people by massacring innocents. For your bravery and your morals, I salute you." He downed the cup.

"It's wine produced on my family's estate outside of Linzi," replied the young general, a hint of pride in his voice. "It was the finest wine produced in Qi . . . and for a time, all the kings of the seven Warring States drank its contents on a daily basis. Now, because of the chaos and warfare . . . the wine is unavailable for trade and export and is only marketed and consumed within the walls of Linzi."

"If my uncle and I had our wish, we would stay in Qi and help restore it to its former glory," replied Zhiwen, shaking his head, righteous anger in his voice, "But alas, Qi has become a wretched hive of scum and villainy. We of the noble Yi family, who are descended from both the Jiang and Tian houses that ruled Qi will not consort with such cads and scoundrels. To sway us to their cause, they even had the temerity to claim descent from Qi's greatest minister, Guan Zhong. Alas . . . even with the help of other stalwarts and loyalists who do not wish to see Qi so consumed, we are too weak to prevent its takeover by this gang of interlopers and snakes."

"I have embarked on these wanderings to find a new home for the Yi family, a home away from Qi," he concluded with a sigh, a grim look on his face. "One day we will return to Qi . . . and drive these animals from our home and restore Qi to its rightful glory."
Lionheart
The best KT Monkey

Post by Lionheart »

Cao Chao wrote:"Good to make your acquaintance, Sir Ba," replied Zhiwen, clasping his hands together and greeted the man.

Raising his cup, he saluted the man. "It is few and far between the individuals who understand just how disgustingly ruthless the Hegemonic King of Western Chu is," he said in a warm tone, "Especially rare are those amongst the Hegemonic King's followers who recognize the folly of alienating the common people by massacring innocents. For your bravery and your morals, I salute you." He downed the cup.

"It's wine produced on my family's estate outside of Linzi," replied the young general, a hint of pride in his voice. "It was the finest wine produced in Qi . . . and for a time, all the kings of the seven Warring States drank its contents on a daily basis. Now, because of the chaos and warfare . . . the wine is unavailable for trade and export and is only marketed and consumed within the walls of Linzi."

"If my uncle and I had our wish, we would stay in Qi and help restore it to its former glory," replied Zhiwen, shaking his head, righteous anger in his voice, "But alas, Qi has become a wretched hive of scum and villainy. We of the noble Yi family, who are descended from both the Jiang and Tian houses that ruled Qi will not consort with such cads and scoundrels. To sway us to their cause, they even had the temerity to claim descent from Qi's greatest minister, Guan Zhong. Alas . . . even with the help of other stalwarts and loyalists who do not wish to see Qi so consumed, we are too weak to prevent its takeover by this gang of interlopers and snakes."

"I have embarked on these wanderings to find a new home for the Yi family, a home away from Qi," he concluded with a sigh, a grim look on his face. "One day we will return to Qi . . . and drive these animals from our home and restore Qi to its rightful glory."
"Ah," Ba Rong said with a whimsical smile. "Yes, I remember hearing good things about Linzi liquor and this stuff is as good as I could have hoped for. But you say that it comes from your estate? Heh, I wish that my family could claim some similar uniqueness or great ancestry, but really, we're just a family of wealthy merchants. I'm the exception to that rule, I guess.

"And you say that you want to bring back the state of Qi? I'm from Julu, here in Zhao. After what the Qin did to us, you can understand my hatred for them and why I joined Chu. I hope for Zhao much the same that you hope for Qi: a revitalized and reinvigorated state. How that comes about, I honestly don't know. I don't know if I'll even be a part of it. But I certainly would like to hope that I am. I wish you much the same luck, Sir Yi, as I'm sure that you'll need it; we both will."

Cao Chao
Marquis

Post by Cao Chao »

Lionheart wrote:"Ah," Ba Rong said with a whimsical smile. "Yes, I remember hearing good things about Linzi liquor and this stuff is as good as I could have hoped for. But you say that it comes from your estate? Heh, I wish that my family could claim some similar uniqueness or great ancestry, but really, we're just a family of wealthy merchants. I'm the exception to that rule, I guess.

"And you say that you want to bring back the state of Qi? I'm from Julu, here in Zhao. After what the Qin did to us, you can understand my hatred for them and why I joined Chu. I hope for Zhao much the same that you hope for Qi: a revitalized and reinvigorated state. How that comes about, I honestly don't know. I don't know if I'll even be a part of it. But I certainly would like to hope that I am. I wish you much the same luck, Sir Yi, as I'm sure that you'll need it; we both will."
"War, that is the only solution," replied Zhiwen with a shrug. "The Hegemonic King will not permit the full restoration of any kingdom to its former glory. Even if a Qi or a Zhao is formed with his assistance . . . its ruler will be no more than a client of the Hegemonic King. No one will be permitted to eclipse him . . . and the power of Chu. As a result, the only way to fully recreate and reestablish the former kingdoms of the Warring States will be ultimately a head-on conflict with the Hegemonic King."

"But that will not be for a while," said the young general, as he poured another cup for both of them. Downing the cup in one gulp, he continued. "As it stands, no one possesses the power to openly defy the Hegemonic King. To do so openly as some have done is nothing short of suicide. Better would be the shrewd and covert cultivation of one's own power-base, while maintaining a facade of subservience to Chu. If we carefully build up a kingdom . . . within a year we will likely have the power to challenge the Hegemonic King on the battlefield."
Lionheart
The best KT Monkey

Post by Lionheart »

Cao Chao wrote:"War, that is the only solution," replied Zhiwen with a shrug. "The Hegemonic King will not permit the full restoration of any kingdom to its former glory. Even if a Qi or a Zhao is formed with his assistance . . . its ruler will be no more than a client of the Hegemonic King. No one will be permitted to eclipse him . . . and the power of Chu. As a result, the only way to fully recreate and reestablish the former kingdoms of the Warring States will be ultimately a head-on conflict with the Hegemonic King."

"But that will not be for a while," said the young general, as he poured another cup for both of them. Downing the cup in one gulp, he continued. "As it stands, no one possesses the power to openly defy the Hegemonic King. To do so openly as some have done is nothing short of suicide. Better would be the shrewd and covert cultivation of one's own power-base, while maintaining a facade of subservience to Chu. If we carefully build up a kingdom . . . within a year we will likely have the power to challenge the Hegemonic King on the battlefield."
"Indeed, that makes sense," Ba Rong said with a nod, taking another sip of wine. "Xiang Yu would have to be an absolute idiot to allow potentially independent states to sprout up all around him...even if those states claim to rule in his name. It's a simple fact of life that eventually, his neighbors will come into conflict with him...which is why I think that the Hegemony of Chu will not last for very long. A year, maybe a bit longer, might be enough to challenge him, but he does have hundreds of thousands of well-trained and well-equipped soldiers under his command..."

Ba Rong rubbed his chin, thinking. "I believe that one single state stands no chance against him. If Xiang Yu divides and conquers, then he may have a chance. However, if several states gang up against him, then perhaps everyone will have a chance to end the Hegemony of Chu. But! That is some time off. First, bases of power must be established, armies must be trained and armed, and men of talent must be recruited. Speaking of that, Sir Yi, I have heard that there are many private armies in Qi, and that they are working in cooperation with one another. I'm guessing that that crowds you out some in Qi. What are your plans in such an event? Would you perhaps consider setting up in Zhao?"

A small smile crossed his face, and he took another sip of wine. "You see, I have recently received an interesting letter lately from one Zhao Lang that has gotten me thinking...and I was wondering your opinion on what he has to say, since I have had trouble forming much of one for myself in this instance. Would you please lend me your ears for a bit?"

Cao Chao
Marquis

Post by Cao Chao »

Lionheart wrote:"Indeed, that makes sense," Ba Rong said with a nod, taking another sip of wine. "Xiang Yu would have to be an absolute idiot to allow potentially independent states to sprout up all around him...even if those states claim to rule in his name. It's a simple fact of life that eventually, his neighbors will come into conflict with him...which is why I think that the Hegemony of Chu will not last for very long. A year, maybe a bit longer, might be enough to challenge him, but he does have hundreds of thousands of well-trained and well-equipped soldiers under his command..."

Ba Rong rubbed his chin, thinking. "I believe that one single state stands no chance against him. If Xiang Yu divides and conquers, then he may have a chance. However, if several states gang up against him, then perhaps everyone will have a chance to end the Hegemony of Chu. But! That is some time off. First, bases of power must be established, armies must be trained and armed, and men of talent must be recruited. Speaking of that, Sir Yi, I have heard that there are many private armies in Qi, and that they are working in cooperation with one another. I'm guessing that that crowds you out some in Qi. What are your plans in such an event? Would you perhaps consider setting up in Zhao?"

A small smile crossed his face, and he took another sip of wine. "You see, I have recently received an interesting letter lately from one Zhao Lang that has gotten me thinking...and I was wondering your opinion on what he has to say, since I have had trouble forming much of one for myself in this instance. Would you please lend me your ears for a bit?"
"Several states are possible, but like the way the six states tried to deal with the Qin, it is likely to fail," replied Yi Zhiwen, shaking his head, "A coalition can and will fall apart at the first sign of trouble and dissent . . . just as the multiple coalitions of the six states of Chu, Hann, Qi, Wei, Yan, and Zhao failed time and time again for more than one hundred and seventy years. Strong bonds need to be formed for a war against Chu to be successful . . . otherwise, we will be no more than footnotes in history as we get ripped apart by the ferocious veteran armies of Chu and their bloodthirsty leader, the Hegemonic King."

"As I said, Qi is now a hive of scum and villainy," repeated the young general with a scowl. "The noble Yi family has no interest in consorting with the lowlife criminals and barbarians that have taken over the countryside, especially once they gain control of the cities in one or two months. We are removing ourselves out of Qi for the time being, but my uncle and I have both vowed that we will return one day with an army at our backs to liberate our homeland and reestablish the Kingdom of Qi."

"Zhao Lang?" asked Zhiwen, turning to regard his host. "Is he a descendant of the Zhao royal line? Then I will be glad to join you on your trip."
Tali'Zorah
New Recruit

Post by Tali'Zorah »

A very gentle breeze pushed a few strands of Ta Li's hair across her face. She brushed it back with her hand; the quiet nature being a reminder to her of the coming storms. "Lady Li, I believe that is the village up ahead," Maleng Huizang, her bodyguard said as a few buildings came into view over the hill. "Shall I go ahead to call the minister to you?" Ta Li shook her head. "Do you trust Chief Minister Lin Qian?"

"I have never met him. However; he is not affiliated with the Chu from what I've heard. A decedent of the Zhao, in fact." Li calmly continued on to the village. "That's reason enough for me to trust him." The two had made a short journey from another village in Zhao. With the recent surge of rebellious fervor; Li believed it was important to at least be on good terms with the neighboring areas. Nevertheless, Huizang's uncertainty did spark a bit of anxiety in Li's temperament. "Besides; in a time like this, we need all the friends we can get."

The two stopped in the middle of the village; near where Li had envisioned her own center would be. Huizang stepped forward and introduced the lady, "Greetings; we have traveled from Jie Qiao to the north. Lady Ta Li; chief minister of the village would like to speak with Minister Lin Qian." Huizang bowed out of tradition but Ta Li did not. She had her arms crossed as she waited the response.
Ta Li (27)
76-30-28-77-77
Politician II, Public Planner II, Civil Administrator II, Military Administrator II, Diplomat I