Public Rules Comment

Moderator: Game Masters

ann
Administrator
Administrator

Public Rules Comment

Post by ann »

Please use this thread to comment on the rules as they are posted in the Rules forum. We welcome comments and suggestions and admit that, until the game starts, the rules posted are highly subject to change ;)
Shi Zhi Mi
Colonel

Post by Shi Zhi Mi »

Before I go into a long tirade on the rules and what not, I have a question. What is the expectation of a PC to get level III in a skill? One year? two years? etc.
Xiang Zhuang
Marquis

Post by Xiang Zhuang »

Probably a little over one year, depending on how hard they train it and how often they use it. We are thinking 5 skill XP per use, plus somewhere from 3-7 skill XP per training. Since the Level III version isn't that much better than the Level II one in most cases, we don't want it to be impossible.

I did want to make skill XP different for the current level of the skill, mostly because battle skills have a greater chance of being used on Level II than Level I, but the difference isn't great enough to warrant the extra complication.

I'm not sure if it says so anywhere up there in the rules yet, but we are using a modified sub-general system, somewhat like RTK 9. That is, there will be a general in charge of the unit and the possibility of 2 sub-generals with it. All tactician-type abilities are open for anyone to use (there isn't an "army" tactician), and the abilities are somewhat auto-fire like in RTK 9. The main difference is that we aren't using a TP value like they do, but rather a straight percentage of a skill firing each round. The chance of a skill being successful is almost always below 50%. Typically, someone should expect a skill to go off somewhere between 2-4 times in a 10 round battle.

There's more to add about that, but it's a good summary.
Xiang Zhuang
Marquis

Post by Xiang Zhuang »

So, to reply to Kymvir in the appropriate place (hehe)...

Aid, Barrage both seem fine then. With Challenge, does the formula change I did look ok? Here it is again for you, lazy man: (Attacker's Cha - Defender's Jud) + (Defender's Might - Attacker's Might)+10%. I just switched the Might values in the second parenthesis.

I need to test the formula for gate damage when I get back to the room. Remind me if I don't post something in a day or so about it :)

For Field Advisor, what numbers are you thinking of? Something around 5% per level maybe? Here's a quick and rough change:

Field Advisor I - Int/15 reduction
Field Advisor II - Int/8 reduction
Field Advisor III - Int/5 reduction

That...seems ok to me for what I think you are aiming for.
Fei Dao
New Recruit

Post by Fei Dao »

About items. There are two book slots. And the maximum bonus a book can give is 10. Two books would mean... 20 in any one stat reaching from Command, Judgment, and Intellect. In effect, it could raise one of those stats from 60 to 80, which is just about the range which emphasizes this point the most.

That's a bit too much in my opinion. 20 intellect, command or judgment is basically what a peasant learns in a lifetime.
Xiang Zhuang
Marquis

Post by Xiang Zhuang »

Fei Dao wrote:About items. There are two book slots. And the maximum bonus a book can give is 10. Two books would mean... 20 in any one stat reaching from Command, Judgment, and Intellect. In effect, it could raise one of those stats from 60 to 80, which is just about the range which emphasizes this point the most.

That's a bit too much in my opinion. 20 intellect, command or judgment is basically what a peasant learns in a lifetime.
+20 to any stat is the relative stat cap (it is possible to get more, but not common). I can't address what you say about what a peasant learns or whatever. However, the bonuses themselves are somewhat limiting. I would also mention that we don't expect +10 items to be that common. It will take a good roll by a good crafter to be able to make one, and it'll require a hefty gold cost out of them.

The 20 point bonus was something that I have liked since who knows when. While I don't know about the realism of it, I would mention that items giving stat bonuses in essence is a gameplay thing, not a realism thing.

I feel that the stat bonus limits that other sims have in place are too limiting. I am happy with the +20 bonus and do not wish to change it. I would mention that if someone has a +20 bonus to Int, they cannot equip any item to raise their Judgement or Command stats. The item slots are made in such a way to limit them.

I don't think I can answer your query in any way other than "it's not something we are going to change." Well, unless Kymvir or ann really wants me to, but I don't think they have a problem with it is it is. I thank you for expressing your concerns about it, though.
Shi Zhi Mi
Colonel

Post by Shi Zhi Mi »

I was talking to Kym last night and we were talking about molds for character sign ups. Just so others know about this and don't bombard the staff, when can we see a couple of molds for characters? I'd like to see a duelist cav officer, a political archer commander, and a charismatic tactician.
Xiang Zhuang
Marquis

Post by Xiang Zhuang »

Shi Zhi Mi wrote:I was talking to Kym last night and we were talking about molds for character sign ups. Just so others know about this and don't bombard the staff, when can we see a couple of molds for characters? I'd like to see a duelist cav officer, a political archer commander, and a charismatic tactician.
Kymvir mentioned a few of these to me the same night, but I've forgotton them since. I don't think we want to list what type of learnings they'd have, but rather just what sort of stats they should focus on in order. That said, it'd be pretty easy to figure out what stats someone should focus on for the descriptions you gave. I'm leaving it up to Kymvir to actually edit the rules with them, though :P
Lu Cyan
Officer

Post by Lu Cyan »

In the models of the types of character, would it be possible to roll model stats for each type? That way people can get a feel for what the stats for each model type might be like.
Xiang Zhuang
Marquis

Post by Xiang Zhuang »

I think that Kymvir didn't want to reveal the actual numbers, so that his suggested templates wouldn't lean too much for what people would take (so we wouldn't be providing cookie-cutter examples that a lot of people would follow).

I think it might be a good idea to do while we are doing ruler sign-ups, though. Just to allow some players to provide a good look at what type of character they can have. Instead of doing the templates suggested strictly, though, just ask for input from players. Like, have everyone who wants to submit 1 character and then pick 5-10 of them that provide a good variety for people to gauge by. I have no issue with hiding the way we do our signups. They are balanced very well, and I can't see at the moment how people would be able to exploit them. It is probably better that a player have a good idea of what they are getting themselves into by picking a character than blindly picking learnings and hoping for the best. To post the actual process, however, would be too confusing to the average player (it is still a bit confusing to me), and wouldn't be useful.

When Kymvir and ann go on vacation, I might do this. Which reminds me...