Zhi Cheng's Audience Hall - Jiangcheng

Applications Accepted!

Moderator: Game Masters

Numinous
Lieutenant

Post by Numinous »

"I see..." spoke the woman in a slightly disappointed tone, though nonetheless was pleased with the response. "If that is your only condition for your aid in this trying time, I can do nothing but accept it. A small price to pay to gain a valued member of my staff. I will certainly have to do everything in my power to ensure that you consider this your true place..."

Once the decision as reached, the Marquess handed him a small box with the seal of office. "Mian Jujiang... I and the people of Wu will be counting on you."

(Welcome aboard!)
Yu Cheng (22) 90*-32-42-93*-36
Aid II, Civil Administrator III, Cover I, Dash II, Military Administrator II, Politician I
Zhudi
Major
Location: "Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free."---John 8:32

Post by Zhudi »

One summer morning...

As the sun peaked over the horizon and illuminated the city in its majestic light, a carriage surrounded by a few mounted guards rumbled into the streets of Jiangcheng. The marketplace was just beginning to awake as the vendors opened their stalls to the public. There were only a handful of people present to witness the carriage drive past the business district.

The horse drawn carriage approached the gate to the governor's mansion and a elderly court official got out of the vehicle and walked up to the guards. In a very polite and pleasant voice, he said, "Greetings to you, soldiers of Wu. I am Sha Zukang, Changsha/Yue's Chief Foreign minister. Is Marquess Zhì Chēng available for an audience today?"
Ma Zhudi, Guardian of the South

Also portraying...
Sha Zukang (61), Changsha's Chief Foreign Minister
"We will do the business at any cost...through whatever means available. One inch of the territory is more valuable than the life of our people. We will never concede on that."
Numinous
Lieutenant

Post by Numinous »

(sorry for the delay, a bit under the weather.)

The soldiers at the gates of the mansion gathered, as the captain of the guards appeared and bowed to the visitor. "I am Ka Zhong, and I welcome you to Jiangcheng, Minister of Yue. The Duke's emissaries are always able to find the Marquess in her study for an interview -- though I must search you beforehand as a standard security procedure, and ask that your retinue remain outside during negotiations. You may take 1 chosen guardsman with you, however."

With that he gave a nod to some of the junior members who stepped forward to do their duties quickly and efficiently, should he consent.
Aid II, Civil Administrator III, Cover I, Dash II, Military Administrator II, Politician I
Zhudi
Major
Location: "Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free."---John 8:32

Post by Zhudi »

Sha Zukang nods and says, "Absolutely, Captain Ka." After the search is done, he signals to one of his guards, who will then accompany him into the governing complex.

If after the search he is led before Zhi Cheng, Sha Zukang would bow low and say, "Marquess Zhi Cheng, it is a pleasure to finally meet you. I am Chief Foreign Minister Sha Zukang of Changsha and Yue. It has been a long time since an official representative of Duke Lin Xin has come to visit, and for that we apologize deeply. Times have been difficult with the Duke's illness and the Marquis of Changsha's assassination."

Also portraying...
"We will do the business at any cost...through whatever means available. One inch of the territory is more valuable than the life of our people. We will never concede on that."
Numinous
Lieutenant

Post by Numinous »

Zhudi wrote:Sha Zukang nods and says, "Absolutely, Captain Ka." After the search is done, he signals to one of his guards, who will then accompany him into the governing complex.

If after the search he is led before Zhi Cheng, Sha Zukang would bow low and say, "Marquess Zhi Cheng, it is a pleasure to finally meet you. I am Chief Foreign Minister Sha Zukang of Changsha and Yue. It has been a long time since an official representative of Duke Lin Xin has come to visit, and for that we apologize deeply. Times have been difficult with the Duke's illness and the Marquis of Changsha's assassination."
Indeed, the trip was rather quick and hassle free, as it seems the Marquess was eagerly awaiting him. The reclusive study that served as her meeting place was filled as usual with many books on Legalist thought and strategy that were in various states of review, as numerous scarlet ribbons marked the Marquess' place were visible. They were a fine match for her own burgundy robes, as the pale ghost of the mansion seemed to have been baptized anew by the victory over Fu Tong. The guards of course kept a close watch, as the windows of the upper floor afforded a good view of the rivers below, reflecting the morning sun indirectly into her shaded abode.

Shifting her weight in the bronzed antique chair, Zhi Cheng cleared her throat a moment and bowed her alabaster-haired head to her guest. "And it is a pleasure for me as well, sir Sha. It has indeed been too long since I have entertained a guest from Yue. Had it not been for my own entanglements in unifying the province... I would have sent an envoy of my own to remedy this terrible lull in relations. If the Duke has unfortunately taken ill as you say, perhaps I should send my personal physician instead of a diplomat next time? I know more than anyone what it is like to struggle and suffer from poor a constitution..." This was punctuated by a brief cough to accentuate the fact. Her condition was unfortunately not a mere illness of course.

Gesturing to a low table with some refreshments served by a quiet maid, she bid him to become more comfortable while they spoke of matters. "That aside, I had only recently came to be aware of the unfortunate demise of the Marquis of Changsha... and this sudden event has me deeply concerned. Was it the work of our common foes in the Liang-Jiujiang-Chu axis, or were the stories of his deeper entanglements with Qin partisans instead to blame?" Zhi sighed heavily. "Either way, a pillar of our strength in the region has been lost -- and it could not have happened at a worse time for us."
Zhudi
Major

Post by Zhudi »

Numinous

Seeing the refreshments on the table, Sha gladly moved to get himself a drink before settling down into the chair. He took a sip of his beverage before he looked up again, "It is unfortunate that the Duke's ailment has lasted so long. For a time, the illness' grip over him seemed to wane and the Duke felt well enough to hold audience. But these days, his condition has deteriorated, so he only concerns himself with internal matters."

Sha sat back into the cushions and sighed as he thought of his former master, Daisuke. He said, "The driver of the Marquis' carriage had managed to escape the ambush and returned to Changhsa reporting that soldiers dressed in the uniforms of Chu soldiers had attacked Aramaki's party. Other reports indicate that the Marquis' decapitated head and body have been delivered to the capital of Chu and Jiujiang, respectively. While such evidence is circumstantial, it does indicate the possible involvement of the rulers of Liang, Jiujiang, and Chu."

He paused to take another sip of tea before continuing. "But hidden within these tragedies does come new opportunities. With his late Marquis' death, a new faction has come to power in Changsha led by Marquis Long Rurong and his Supreme Commander Ma Zhudi." Sha Zukang then leans forward in his seat, his head tilting slightly to the left side as he said, "This new faction is interested in only one thing, the independence of the South from the old ruling powers that have thus far done nothing but bring suffering to the people. Marquis Long and Commander Ma want to form a regional government dedicated to preserving the cultural and social identity of the Southern people. Since Marquis Jiang and yourself have proven to be virtuous and wise rulers, we in Changsha and Yue have come to seek your counsel."

He pulled out a map of China from his satchel and laid it out on the table. "Here are the areas currently controlled by Marquis Jiang, Duke Lin, and yourself. Pray tell me, Marquess, what are your thoughts on those who are neighbors to us. How do you think we should proceed, both in our diplomatic and military interactions, with those kingdoms that surround ours?"

Also portraying...
Numinous
Lieutenant

Post by Numinous »

Lady Zhi kept a polite silence as he made his explanations of what had transpired recently, only interjecting at last when he asked for her opinions on the political landscape laid out like a patchwork tablecloth before her strange red-colored gaze. "So, you seek my wise counsel? I am flattered of course that you hold me in such a regard... but I will naturally not refuse your request. Perhaps it will let this rising party understand my own motives and biases better than in the past. After all, to make wise decisions it is best to have all available information at hand on friends as well as enemies."

Leaning closer now, the Marquess placed a thin & bony finger upon the rough cloth, tracing the path of the Great River in her lands. As it veered westward into the province of Jiujiang, she gave a short frown. "Xiang Jun... it is no secret that I despise this man for his involvement in the death of Yi Lian. But so too is there is no room in my heart for mercy or trust towards such a leader who would betray his own family so easily, and I will never negotiate with such a turncoat." The frail minister spit out these words, showing that even in her state she could spit out very forceful vitriol. "I deeply regret the retreat from our old holdings in Jiujiang giving him a foothold in the province... but it was the only way to ensure that my friend Marquis Jiang and the broken Huainan would survive. The time is coming when we will recapture the lands the former Marquis gave her life to gain, and to see your nation taking up this aim against a common enemy... it is indeed heartening."

As her mood improved, the finger edged up a tributary to Chu. "It is not so simple a matter with King Chen, for either myself or my northern allies. I respected him as one of the strongest opponents of the Qin after the schism of the brothers Ying... but it has been difficult to keep that stance. It all began some time ago when I consorted with Yi Lian in her dreams of grandeur and was first appointed as steward of Jiangcheng. Thinking her ilk little more than bandits, the King sent an envoy to me offering me riches and the title of Queen if I would betray my benefactor." The beautiful woman scoffed, as her sense of justice was healthy even if the flesh was less than so. "I did not hesitate to decline of course, and thus set the stage of the souring of relations. I have tried to mend fences in various ways since that time, as we should naturally be allies against the Qin's remaining power. But it seems that the Xiang clan Kings of Liang and Jiujiang are deadset in pitting us against one another." A sigh then escaped her thin lips. "Perhaps it is fate that Wu and Chu can never be friends... for history teaches us that it was they who conquered this very place I call my capital not many centuries before, and grudges of the native Yue remain strong. Still, I will continue to believe diplomacy can work. Of all our enemies, the one we can avoid fighting directly... is surely Chen She."

Zhi Cheng's hand lingered at the space beyond, towards Sai and the frontiers. "It seems betrayal is everywhere... even the Qin's allies now turn on them as they smell weakness. I wished for Lin Xin to keep his distance from this political morass for now, and not waste his breath. Brother will continue to murder brother even as the cities burn around them, until the corruption is bleached from their walls and the last embers of the regime rendered unto ash. Getting deeply involved before they have destroyed the old is only asking to be burnt as well. Taking in the inspector was thus a rumor that I took with great seriousness, as it was viewed by many of your detractors in a negative light... though the Duke was hedging his bets as a prudent leader should, it is important to consider carefully how others view you in this larger game we are all caught in."

Tapping the far south area in Nanyang, she added curtly "I have no relations with the barbarian Bai Zhan or the warlords in this place. I have seen you fortifying the border here, however, and likewise have adopted a defensive attitude. The last thing that you need is a worry on your western flank. You may be able to expand here easily, but... I do not believe the risks are worth it at the present time."

Running the index finger's short nail across the parchment it sailed back to Wu and drifted north into the green lands of Liang. "I will not forgive the King of Liang for his swift and bloody invasion intending to deal the remnants of Yi Lian's administration its deathblow so soon after Xiang Jun's machinations... and not to mention the intent to push straight through my lands to eliminate your master. Thankfully we rallied to stop the blitzkrieg cold, but as long as such an obvious intent to seize Huainan remains he will be my enemy. The size of his holdings is surely daunting, but I am confident Marquis Jiang and I can continue to deter his ambitions with your help. It is a sort of cold war that may one day turn around... but to do so he needs to feel a threat from the north to turn his attention upon first." To this point she brought a curled finger to her chin in thought. "Hmm, Chen Yun has recently captured all of Tian Dan's former holdings. I wonder if he is an enemy of King Xiang? There is also the massive domains of Xia Xi in Yin and Zhao to consider, and an upstart nobleman named Liu Bang of Jiaoxi that could be sympathetic to us as well. Creating a counterbalance to Liang's military might through soft power will ultimately be a difficult endeavor for our alliance, though a worthwhile one to consider if the soil for such an idea is fertile enough..."

After she had spoke all this, there came a few coughs, which were doused with a sip of some herbal tea. Apparently Lady Zhi had launched into quite the diatribe without realizing it, and her voice dropped into a quiet, restful whisper. "A-Ah... forgive me... there was more to share than expected."

(turned into a wall of text :oops:)
Zhudi
Major

Post by Zhudi »

Numinous

As Minister Sha listened to Lady Zhi, his head bobbed in agreement at almost every turn. "Your words are wise, Lady Zhi. We in Changsha and Yue have no desire for war with Chu and Liang, though if such an happenstance were to occur, we shall not hesitate to support our allies in that conflict. Xinag Jun, on the other hand, has publically declared his animosity towards our people and therefore must be destroyed if the South is to survive."

He then moved back to the map where he waved his hands at the lands surrounding Wu. "Pray tell me, Lady Zhi. Do you have any ambitions to expand your rule? Your north and south are bounded together by allies, so direct expansion may become difficult. But if you wish to move your armies toward a contested front, I am sure that Huinan and Changsha/Yue would be more than willing to give your forces a chance to take new territory for your banner."

Sha Zukang then prepared himself for the true reason why he had come to Jiangcheng and had proceeded to ask all of these questions. He had to be sure before he would propose the most radical of ideas. "Lady Zhi, as I have said before, with the death of Marquis Daisuke Aramaki and the illness of Duke Lin Xin, the burden of power has fallen upon Marquis Long Rurong and Supreme Commander Ma Zhudi. Although both of these men are strong leaders on the battlefield, they have no desire to expand their influence into the political realm. Their only goal at this point is to defeat the South's enemies and to secure the borders for the people. Therefore they were conducive to this idea when I proposed it to the both of them. In order for the South to be taken seriously, we need to be viewed as a unified force instead of a collection of fractured allied states. Lesser men would propose to unify through force; while other equally inferior men would attempt to accomplish this through intrigue. Only virtuous and far-sighted individuals can accomplish this through peaceful political means."

He used his hand to wipe the sweat from his brow before continuing, "In order to show the rest of China that the South is united, I propose that Huianan, Wu, Changsha, and Yue combine together and form a unity government. This new kingdom will be ruled by a governing council composed of one representative from each of our three realms, with an executive chairmanship position that rotates leadership every six months. In order to show that this proposal is not a power play on our part, but is a genuine effort to promote unity in the South, we in Chansha/Yue, shall forgo our claim to the chairmanship position for the first 6 month ruling period. Those who desire unity through peace must be willing to make some sacrifices for the good of everyone. Of course, I still have yet to approach Marquis Jiang Sei with my proposal, but I wished to obtain your thoughts on this before I continued on my way towards Huinan."

Also portraying...
Numinous
Lieutenant

Post by Numinous »

The Marquess sat upon her antique chair for a long while in thought, having dropped the familiar teacup back to the table without a word as he explained the true meaning of his visit here. The proposition obviously caused her mixed feelings, which Zhi was attempting to sort before making more of her trademark commentary.

"Minister Sha, let me first begin by saying that your assumptions of my ambitions are slightly in error. There is no need to aggressively expand so soon.... there is much work in Wu left undone for the state. Fu Tong's holdings have only recently been integrated into the fold, and shortly there will be more as the Marquis of Huainan will soon transfer the remainder of his holdings to my banner. Only when the provinces are fully intact will I turn my attentions outward more fully." The woman gave a small smile of confidence. "In addition, my armies are not starved for a front and a battle to fight at this time... With the campaign for Jiujiang leaving Huainan's manpower stretched thin, my own growing legions have stepped in to actively fill the gap. Should the King of Liang try once more to play the opportunist, it will be the brave soldiers of Wu who shall rebuff his advances this time."

"However," began the pale woman, refocusing on the man in front of her now, "This but one example of the fact that I have always been the staunch ally of Huainan, dating back to my installation as the guardian of the southern flank here in Jiangcheng at the late Marquis Yi Lian's request." Her mouth turned into a bit of a frown as she recalled an unpleasant time. "I have not also forgotten that there have been occasions in the past when your Duke Lin Xin has both pleaded for me to reverse this support to his banner instead by veiled threats. Though this history and conflicting egos divide us, there is also the ever present fact of the security situation that has placed us in the alliance today out of mutual necessity. I am not saying that your proposal is without merit. It bears careful thought... especially if the battle in Jiujiang turns against our forces. It could reveal the most pressing need for a coordinated defense policy that cannot be achieved other than through a unification of our domains in a greater government construct."

Zhi Cheng then gave a brief sigh. "However, due to my Legalist upbringing, I cannot assent easily to your concept of a rotating leadership position. The state in its purest form is the ruler himself; if such a person changes with the seasons, it will only lead to a shifting and ultimately ineffective bureaucracy. No -- for such a council idea to work, they must all find a compromise on one 'King', holding the position until death or forced abdication for failure to fulfill the council's goals."

"I cannot speak for my fellow Marquis Jiang Sei's thoughts on this plan," began the Marquess in a discerning tone, "but I will advise you that he has rebuilt Huainan from the ashes with his own hands, and values its independence greatly. But if you can convince him of the merits of this drastic plan, then I will rethink my principal objections. I will claim the title of Dutchess of Wu soon, be it under my own flag or a greater southern aegis to be formed."

"Although minister, there is yet one voice not being heard..." After she had said this, Zhi Cheng's gaze turned to the right, where a familiar warrior stood in the shadows watching, as was his job to protect the Lady from harm. She extended a thin hand as a signal for him to step forward. "General Han, as a former member of Yue's court, I would be interested in hearing your unique perspective on this sensitive topic..."
Trendkill
Colonel

Post by Trendkill »

Liao steps forward after seeing the signal and bows low before both his Lord and her guest. Standing upright once again he looks to Lady Zhi with a look of concern on his normally stoic face before stating, "I am hardly qualified to weigh in on such a matter my Lady, being a simple warrior in possession of an even simpler mind. I am sure that many changes have taken place in the kingdom of my former Lord, and the good ministers words only confirm this." He then looks to Minister Sha as his expression lightens, as if trying to visually convey his sincerity before saying, "I know master Lin to possess a keen intellect and, while I was in his service, he always put the needs of his people before his own. I can only trust that the power he's attained has not corrupted his noble spirit."

He looks down at his feet as he attempts to come to a conclusion. He was not used to making decisions concerning affairs of the state, for his choices were usually made on the field of battle. After this brief pause he looks up again and says confidently, "I do not know these men who have assumed leadership, but I do know that we all have a common enemy in Xiang Jun. To oppose him we must stand united, else he shall consume us all. I would say it is in the best interest of all concerned to at least attempt to unify the south in some fashion."