Invention of Paper (140 - 87 BC)

Moderator: Game Masters

RMNZ
Officer

Post by RMNZ »

Yup, exactly. Although now that it's been brought up it'd prolly add to an invitation letter just a touch if it was titled with something like, "a scroll of bamboo parchment tied and sealed with red silk is addressed to you," or something like that. The whole lack of a mail service/lack of address for free officers technicality would just stuff up the flow anyway, so we ignore it for the sake of fun in the sim - kinda like the whole 'kings taking just a little more than they normally would before having someone beheaded thing'. :D I'm raving coz it's late and I'm bored...
Zhao Han, 19
84-23-87*-82*-47
Discipline I, Scout I, Military Admin II, Civil Admin II, Decoy II
Zhao Han's War Manual (+7 Int), The Will of Heaven (Jud +4)
Pyro
Captain

Post by Pyro »

Xiang Zhuang wrote:We generally know about this and more or less are kinda leaving it up to the player to determine how historical they want to play. Chairs weren't really around at this time, either; almost everone sat on pillows. There are some other nitpicky things we could deal with, but yeah, forcing people to abandon paper would just be an unnecessary hassle for the most of us. Especially since our 2000+ AD culture is so far beyond it.

But yeah, some things, like people sending one another letters and the like, just didn't happen. The amount of people who could write or were even semi-literate was probably in the single digits percentage-wise. It's too inhibiting to enforce.
Pay attention to my rps. Never once do I mentions chairs when my characters sit down =p I tend to use cushions or a generic seat (Seat meaning something to sit on. I mean it to be ambiguous) or stool (stools were mentioned in the RTK novel)

Oh one thing I nothice almost everyone do this is not accurate. The use of quills. Chinese caligraphy was done with brushes and on bamboo scrolls until paper became available. Quills were only used in Europe and the Middle East >.>

(Edit: Geez my spelling sucks toight)
Zhao Ji (15)
Stats: 33-92*-36-74-77
Skills: Challenge I, Cover I, Doctor, Faze I Intimidate II, Maraud I, Raid I, Yueshu II
Gold: 125
--
"When I started here, all there was was swamp. Other kings said I was daft to build a castle on a swamp, but I built it all the same, just to show 'em. It sank into the swamp. So, I built a second one. That sank into the swamp. So, I built a third one. That burned down, fell over, then sank into the swamp, but the fourth one... stayed up!"
Jiang Zhi
Captain

Post by Jiang Zhi »

Pyro wrote:Oh one thing I nothice almost everyone do this is not accurate. The use of quills. Chinese caligraphy was done with brushes and on bamboo scrolls until paper became available. Quills were only used in Europe and the Middle East >.>

(Edit: Geez my spelling sucks toight)
Sometimes they use a knife to etch out words on bamboo scrolls :)

I use both, brush or knife
Jiang Zhi, Male (28) 79-28-65-83-78 Civil Administrator II, Inspire, Military Administrator II, Politician, Propagandist
Gold: 100

Feng Ming, (Wife of JZ) Female (21) 67-70-72-62-66 Confuse I, Deceive I, Saboteur I, Smith I, Spy I, Trainer I, Wall I
Wang Jian, (Bureaucrat) Male (46) 82-64-47-66-38 Dash I, Delay II, Flank I, Jianshu I, Politician I, Saboteur II
Jiang Xi, (Sister of JZ) Female (25) 39-66-63-66-66 Dash II, Formation I, Propagandist I, Gongshu I, Politician I, Marksman I
Pyro
Captain

Post by Pyro »

The brushstrokes in Chinese caligraphy are done without the scribe resting his (Saying his because it ould only really have been men who were educated back then) wrist in the writing surface so etchings would be kinda hard (but nowhere near impossible) to do.
Zhao Ji (15)
Stats: 33-92*-36-74-77
Skills: Challenge I, Cover I, Doctor, Faze I Intimidate II, Maraud I, Raid I, Yueshu II
Gold: 125
--
"When I started here, all there was was swamp. Other kings said I was daft to build a castle on a swamp, but I built it all the same, just to show 'em. It sank into the swamp. So, I built a second one. That sank into the swamp. So, I built a third one. That burned down, fell over, then sank into the swamp, but the fourth one... stayed up!"
Xiang Zhuang
Marquis

Post by Xiang Zhuang »

Yeah. Generally, my point is that we aren't going to call out a player if they mention something about it, but we also in our own RP's to be historically accurate.
Fáng Ai (防哀) hao Aishī (皚獅, White Lion), Duke of Yan (Yan Gong)
101*.87*.44.78.39
Dash I, Gongshu II, Jianshu II, Smith II, Trainer II, Wall II

Sim Turn Length Analysis - Last Updated 4.06