Talk

Moderator: Game Masters

ann
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ann »

Those are estimates for 350 years later than this period... and for a larger territory as well.
Cao Chao
Marquis
Location: That which is unknown and unseen always commands the greatest fear.

Post by Cao Chao »

It's also after a period of about four hundred years of almost continuous relative peace and prosperity, while the period that this sim is in is right after approximately six to seven hundred years of incessant warfare.
ann
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ann »

But even if the population of China was higher during *this* period than 30 million, how does that further the argument that army size was relatively larger then?
Naraku wrote:Funny bout that. The number of troops now a days is far lower then it use ta be. Then again Chinese's pop was unbelievable, still is. Still...look at the numbers 200,000 and even higher.
I mean with an even larger population the relative army size is even smaller then.
Cao Chao
Marquis

Post by Cao Chao »

Well, how big was Wang Jian's army when he conquered Chu? 600,000. How much did Li Xin lose when he foolishly launched an invasion against Chu? 200,000.

Having already lost 200,000 men because of Li Xin's incompetence and foolishlessness, Qin Shi Huang gave Wang Jian an army of 600,000. That's 800,000 troops. That's a lot of manpower. And that's not counting the Chu army.
Kymvir Raemiz
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Kymvir Raemiz »

Your missing the point. Someone was commenting that the Chinese Armies seemed so huge, and how nowadays we don't see such big armies.

She was pointing out that as a % of the population, China was only fielding armies that were about 1-2% of the population, compared to 8% of the population being in the US Armies in World War II.

And the US fielded the smallest number of people per capita of the five big combatants in World War II.

The point is the modern era does indeed field larger armies not only in numbers but also as a % of the total population when in a Total War state like Qin China was in.

And stating that China's population at the time was bigger just makes the Chinese armies look smaller. It's not even relevant.
Tom
Major

Post by Tom »

In all fairness though, America during the War wasn't threatened with invasion at home so i didn't need to.

You've also got to take into account the fact that it has such a large industry to support an army, a smaller country doesn't quite have those same resources.
Xiahou Liang, 35
Ruler of Wuzhong
86-79-71-50-63
Dash, Inspire II, Lure, Manoeuvre, Rally, Reactive Defence, Wedge, Scout
crustyrustyaphid
New Recruit

Post by crustyrustyaphid »

Circa 1 A.D. the Han Empire took a Census which stated their empire had 50 Million citizens. Bare in mind this was at the hieght of the empire and they have land in all directions. Also this is before calculators and such so it could've easily been 5 million more or 5 million less.
Ju Yu , 71 - I'm an Eunuch
81, 27, 55, 84, 67 Gold: 500
Adminstrator I, Politician I, Siege Engineer I, Rally I, Engineer I, Merchant I, Aid I, Jeer I, Propagandist I, Sentinel I
Cao Chao
Marquis

Post by Cao Chao »

Just out of curiosity, which of the PC rulers have the best run PH and most neat KT?
Charlemagne
Marquis
Location: Oh Ricky, you're so fine, you're so fine you blow my mind, Hey Ricky!

Post by Charlemagne »

Cao Chao wrote:Just out of curiosity, which of the PC rulers have the best run PH and most neat KT?
Of the 5 that I can see? BrotherDun does. But that's because I do his KTs. :wink:
Cao Chao
Marquis

Post by Cao Chao »

I just gave you access to my PH, Charlemagne... How's the comparison now?