Post by Bonaparte »

Also you got an extra n in an.
Shame on your An, I thought you would spell a bit better. :lol:
*Admin Lightning Strike shoots out of the sky*

Bonaparte: Owwww....
Deng Yue, 40
51-46-50-78-80*
Military Administrator II, Civil Administrator II, Diplomat II, Politician II
Items: Horse (+1 Speed, E), Ring of Changsha (+3 Charisma, E)
Dao Xia
General

Post by Dao Xia »

I think that instead of having to list your CiC and sub-commanders when attacking, you should just put a number like
Shan Yu invades Shanggu!
# of CiCs: 1
# of sub-commanders: 5
Troops: 10,893 (10)
Weapons: Our fists!
This would prevent people from basing their strategy off of enemy subcommander skills. For example, if 3 out of 4 officers in the army have the skill "Raid" you can guess that they will probably have the hit and run tactic. This would prevent knowing any of this. Or maybe make the defenders submit tactics when they only know a number rounded to the nearest 1,000 in soldiers. In their PH they would get a post like:
Shan Yu has invaded joo with approximately 11,000 (10) troops. There are a total of 7 subcommanders and 1 CiC. I pity the fool who doesn't send in his tactics within 24 hours.
What do you think?
Mogwai
General

Post by Mogwai »

That seems to sound like SimRTK's notification posts when you're being invaded. I'm not saying that's a bad thing, but I think the system that is used now is fine. Back then, if you knew that officers were skilled in a certain type of tactic you could guess that they would use it on you.
Dao Xia
General

Post by Dao Xia »

But considering most of the guys have never fought eachother, that wouldn't really work. I don't know, it just seems like the skills that officers have to improve strategies don't work as well as I would have wished because of this.
areon
Captain

Post by areon »

I don't know, Patton managed to hand Rommel his ass in their first encounter by knowing him. I like the way it is now with the "mind games" mentality with having to guess what strategy the opponent will use.
Pei Jia

If the egg's shell does not break, the chick will die without being born. We are the chick; the egg is the world. If the world's shell does not break, we will die without being born. Smash the world's shell! For the revolution of the world!
Naurek
Sergeant

Post by Naurek »

Right. Patton studied Rommel and knew him like he knew his mother. He knew how he thought. But this is a different time where the writings about generals either insulted them or made them heroes. Basically, it was probably touted one way or the other. I am a fan of no stats. You might see a massive army with 10 officers and think "I can't stand up against them!" when the 10 officers are nothing more than 10 administrators. You really don't know what you are up against, which is good.
Huangfu Yuan (46) 71-27-85-90-45 Civil Administrator II, Confuse I, Doctor I, Lure I, Military Administrator II, Public Planner I
Lord of Dicheng
Mogwai
General

Post by Mogwai »

I suggest you hire some sort of staff member that works solely with quests. They would obviously have to be quite creative, but I think it's needed. The duel quest has laid idle for weeks, and I'm sure a majority of the duelists on the sim would love to participate in an active dueling league. If you don't want to hire a 'Quest Master' so to speak, hire some pure part time duel runners or something.
Shi Zhi Mi
Colonel

Post by Shi Zhi Mi »

Here is my feedback on the battle system so far:

1) Rock/Paper/Scissors: That is the rundown on the battlesystem at large. Yes one can cushion the blow if your strategy is called or inflict greater damage if you did not call the correct strategy but that is what it boils down to. The worst problem out of this is that if you call the strategy the beatdown is not as grievous as it should be. I point to the Ji battle when the Hit and Run Strategy was called against Dun's invasion army. There was only a 3000 difference between the tallies of casualities. The generals on both sides matched up, for the most part, save a couple. The only difference I saw was that Dun had better armarments.

So my take on the tactical aspect of the system is that it is too basic, does not leave room for tactics, and has it favoring those with better armaments. I understand the reason it was set up this way was for brevity's sake and ease of use behind the scenes but the battle time is taking as long as other sims with a more indepth battle system.

2) Victory/Defeat: I disagree completely about how Victory/Defeat is decided. At the Battle of Ji Zang Tu's army won a battle by a 3000 difference but was considered the defeated side. I don't know if this was a staff call if there are some numbers being crunched in the background but there needs to be a definite equation or something released to us to tell us what gives victory and what gives defeat. Personally it should be the amount of casualties caused. If my side came out killing the enemy 2:1 or 1.5:1 or 3:1 I'd definitely cosnider my side the victor.

3) Challenges: I detest the fact that you can call out multiple challenges before a battle. A challenge, traditionally, is offered up by the champion of the army and answered by that other army's champion. Having multiple challenges just means a chance of having a 30 pt morale swing in two bouts. I don't care what anyone says but taking a 30pt morale hit is far worse then having your strategy called. There should be one challenge, one answer, and one duel. Multiple challenges defeats the purpose of having a Champion. Especially since your average battle character who has unit based skills will not have a great intelligence. All a ruler needs is to load up his army with about 4 people with challenge and wipe out the other enemy's morons who are dumb enough to run forward and answer the cry.

The only way to combat this is to load up your army with meatheads to answer hatt army's challengers. It is unrealistic and Challenge should be just once a battle.

4) Sending armies to other lands: I was caught by surprise when Chen Yu sent his army into Zhao Xiu's land. It was a good move but my biggest issue is finding the army. Since Chen Yu's army is in Changshan I should be able to find it by doing a spy attempt on Zhao Xiu's Changshan. Any army in that land I should find. I shouldn't have to do a spy attempt on Zhao Xie's Zhao to find an army that is in Changshan.

Likewise one should not be able to move an army into another provience without a base of operations setup. They should have a city or a town to base themselves out of to reflect the consumption of food and such.

5) Free armies/armaments at the beginning: This is broken. I love the BP system and thing it adds a unique twist to the game at large but kingdoms getting free soldiers and armaments, some far and away beyond the initial starting cost, is too overbalancing at large. This part of the system needs to be toned down or replaced with something else.

6) Betrayal: Not that I had a problem with what Zhen Tong did but how did he steal 3000 or so soldiers and a general from Zang Tu the Ruler? Does money affect this chance to roll or time in service? I was under the impression that the soldiers are subservient to whoever the CIC is or the Ruler. Zang Tu being the ruler should and CiC should not have had to worry about betrayal. Unless, of course, Zhen Tong dropped some serious bling bling on the troopers.

7) Forced Retreat: An army should not be forced to retreat in a battle irregardless if they won the second engagement or not. I still do not understand why the second engagement is so important but if the aggressor wants to keep the army in an enemy land then that should be their choice. It should not be forced upon them AND them loosing officers to boot.

Thats it for now.
The Xiong Nu have left the building!

Liu Bei(43) 90-40-63-62-80
Military Adminstrator II, Marksman II, Lure I, Diplomat II, Politican I
Item: Dai Lu(Horse: +3 Speed, + 1 Attack)
Naurek
Sergeant

Post by Naurek »

I have a problem with how soldiers are given back at the end of a battle when it concerns multiple rulers. I find it unfair that the commanding ruler essentially decides what the other rulers get back when it comes to armaments and soldiers. It could easily be abused, where the commanding ruler could say, "You sent in 10,000 soldiers to help, and 12,000 soldiers out of the 50,000 army were killed, so of those 12,000, 10,000 of them were yours. Therefore you get 0 soldiers back. Have a nice day!"

I think rather that the divisions should be ratio driven. If you send 10,000 into an army that now has a total of 50,000 soldiers, and at the end of the battle 10,000 soldiers are killed, by ratio you would gain back 7,500 soldiers. When it comes to armaments, if you are the only one that shows up with horses, you should be the only one leaving with horses. Otherwise it should be ratio driven.

Though I feel on any combined battles I have been in (I think 3 now) I have been dealt fairly my soldiers, I still don't like that others have control over what I get back.
Huangfu Yuan (46) 71-27-85-90-45 Civil Administrator II, Confuse I, Doctor I, Lure I, Military Administrator II, Public Planner I
Lord of Dicheng
ann
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ann »

Personally I favor a straight ratio - and consideration for the number of engagements. On the other hand the 'negotiations' are interesting.

SZM - Because we get simple battles done as slowly as other sims with complicated systems we should switch? You don't think it'll be even longer?