Feedback and Suggestions

Moderator: Game Masters

damon
Officer

Post by damon »

Has anyone thought of using PHP like Heroes of Chaos? I only know java so maybe I don't know what I'm saying, but it might be able to help relieve the moderators of a lot of work.
Kong Tanmeng (235) 95-72-41-69-23
Aid I, Discipline II, Instructor II, Military Administrator II, Qiangshu II, Wall II
Naurek
Sergeant

Post by Naurek »

While I totally and completely endorse using PHP for sims, it would be more something to do next game. At least to the magnitude that HoC was done. I have been working on a php KT script for Warlords, but it takes some time.

To build a full on PHP based sim, it would take probably about 4 months of work, if you have good knowledge of PHP. So it can be done, and as you would guess I am totally for it, but it would be more something you would have to make and introduce with a new game.

Also, there needs to be major testing on it, which was something we did not do enough of (I call this game of HoC the beta test), and therefore we lost quite a few players from many bugs in the system at the beginning.
Huangfu Yuan (46) 71-27-85-90-45 Civil Administrator II, Confuse I, Doctor I, Lure I, Military Administrator II, Public Planner I
Lord of Dicheng
damon
Officer

Post by damon »

of course! no one in their right mind (or with any knowledge of programming) would expect it to be done in less than 4 months. It would be a terrible idea to introduce that in the middle of the game, you'd be inputting stats and info until your fingers bleed or letting everyone else put their own in and cheat at it.

I take it you are part of the staff on HoC? I must say, great work with the PHP. It made me hungry for a little extra in my sims from now on :)

I would be willing to help if you can direct to my to a site with tutorials or something similar about using PHP for games.
Aid I, Discipline II, Instructor II, Military Administrator II, Qiangshu II, Wall II
Xiang Zhuang
Marquis

Post by Xiang Zhuang »

While I think the PHP system works well for Heroes of Chaos, we have no plans of doing anything of the sort here. Even if one of us had the desire to learn PHP and create a system for it, the main weakness inherent in the system is that it relies too much upon one person to manage it. I have always tried to make Warlords so that it does not rely too much upon any one person to run; so that it is flexible enough to accomodate our busy times when we can't get to the sim as much.

There are other reasons, of course, but this alone is enough to show that we are not going to go in that direction.
Fáng Ai (防哀) hao Aishī (皚獅, White Lion), Duke of Yan (Yan Gong)
101*.87*.44.78.39
Dash I, Gongshu II, Jianshu II, Smith II, Trainer II, Wall II

Sim Turn Length Analysis - Last Updated 4.06
damon
Officer

Post by damon »

understandable. Well, you guys are VERY quick and do an amazing job (This is also the feedback thread :) )) I was looking through sims for one that I really enjoyed and I am positive that this is my favorite.
Duke Williams
Marquis

Post by Duke Williams »

Well, I've been whinning about it for awhile. So here goes. The retreating thing really needs to have some pentalties. It just aint right for a Ruler to try to hunt a guy down only to have them to continue to retreat over and over again without suffering a pentalty. While the Ruler suffers because their army is being counted for an invasion. Thus they cant do any KT actions at all.

I got some ideas inmind but it's no use in suggesting them if the Staff doesnt atleast agree that the retreating thing can be abused. Afterall, it just aint right that an army has the ability to retreat turn after turn without being effected at all. Not even any moral drops or desertions. Since none of us actually has to gather food the retreating army basically wont starve if they continue to forage in their PT but retreat everytime they get assualted.

If the PT action cant be taken than they'll be cool since it'll pffer 'some' pentalty for retreating. Though I still say that armies should be routed in some cases. You'know like strageties that add to speed. If you're chargeing and have horsies than wouyldn't you be able to catch up to footies who are on Full Retreat? Or what about two armies? Would it be possible to chase the retreating army into an ambushed second army?

C'mon there isnt much we have to work with at the moment when it comes to invasions.
Gu Xi (15)
Stats: 79-18-85-74-65
Skills: Civil Administrator II, Confuse III, Diplomat I, Envelop I, Military Administrator II, Politician I
Chronic Liar

Post by Chronic Liar »

I agree with this and would also like to point out that not all invasions by a ruler are attempts for territorial gain. For example, I currently have an envoy who seems to be very close to death by the hands of a village chief. If this envoy is executed, my character, Pai Soer, who has a high bond with said envoy will retaliate by invading this village chief's lands. Now, he isn't attacking in order to take the man's village; he is doing it in order to capture this man and make him pay. It is unreasonable for him to be allowed to repeatedly retreat until I either give up chase or am wiped out by somebody else when they release that my army is chasing 400 men across China.
Zei_Zao_LS
Ensign
Location: People are a lot like slinkies, useless, but if they fall down the stairs it's pretty damn funny.

Post by Zei_Zao_LS »

I'd like to propose that officers that govern a city (aka, Civil, Military, or Balanced) get a fame boost, as historically, a man governing a city isn't going to find himself unrecognized for long. Among the list of ways to gain fame in battle, for the civil officers among the sim, we are sadly lacking in manners to gain fame, aside from "Serving a Ruler that owns a city" every turn... which is kind of a universal way to gain fame.
Zei Zao (22) Province: Jiaodong
69-15-95-78-34
Confuse II, Jeer II, Poison II, Propagandist I, Public Planner II, Scout II
Lu Kuang

Post by Lu Kuang »

The Rules wrote:Ruling a City for a Month: 100 Fame
Ruling a Town for a Month: 50 Fame
Ruling a Village for a Month: 25 Fame
This applies to rulers and officers that run a town, city or village.
Zei_Zao_LS
Ensign
Location: People are a lot like slinkies, useless, but if they fall down the stairs it's pretty damn funny.

Post by Zei_Zao_LS »

I was uninformed of this. I change my suggestion to editing the rules a bit to clarify it. ;)
Zei Zao (22) Province: Jiaodong
69-15-95-78-34
Confuse II, Jeer II, Poison II, Propagandist I, Public Planner II, Scout II