Other Game Discussion

Moderator: Game Masters

Sweet_Ayame
Captain

Post by Sweet_Ayame »

Tongue duels = my head hurting X_X

Currently just started playing Lu Bu in Dong Zhuo senario...((what can i say I <3 the whole story of his)) Now I've killed Ding Yuan, Cao Cao tried to kill Dong Zhuo but getting caught gave him seven star sword, rebelled in Chen Liu, Burnt the capital luo yang....Now i need to meet Diao Chan...if i can find Wang Yun anywhere about >.O

Unfortunately EB games here sucked...and so did our Walmart and gamestop. But I got it! How you ask? TOYS R' US had it.....o_o...do they expect lil kids to be playing that game or something
Jiao Suyin, 18
36-62-52-80-89
Civil Administrator II, Diplomat II, Jianshu II, Politician II, Propagandist II, Saboteur
ann
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ann »

I buy stuff at Toys R Us and I'm not even a big kid anymore. Though the whole store really targets parents anyway.
Xiang Zhuang
Marquis

Post by Xiang Zhuang »

Toys R Us isn't that bad with video games. The place is primarily aimed at kids, but yeah, I've shopped there for games even now. I think I bought Kessen II and Dynasty Warriors II (I meant to buy 3, but clicked on the wrong one and didn't notice until later) from them a while back.

So I lied when I said I wasn't going to get RTK X :) I went Wednesday to EB Games in town and got it. I think it was like 1:45 at the time or something. It ends up I got their last copy, and they hadn't even put them on the shelves yet! I was pretty psyched about that. I wish I knew who the other people were, so I could get them to look at Warlords...

I've tried quite a few things out haphazardly, really. Played as Sun Qian for a while, won some debates. Played as a created officer, made my own force, lost my own force (silly Lu Bu). Tried to play as a brigand or something with another created officer, but soon realized after I attacked Zou Jing on the road that it kills your fame, which was part of the whole reason for doing it (to do some of the neat Tavern quests).

Right now I'm playing as Xu Huang in the second scenario. I went around, doing Tavern quests, and trying to get rulers to hire me, but they all said no. Eventually got Liu Dai to hire me. We invaded Chenliu and took it from Cao Cao, and recruited some of his officers. Then the Lu Bu invasion of Puyang happened, but we tore his armies apart. Got Zhang Liao and Gao Shun out of it! Recently we keep fighting with Cao Cao over Chenliu. He took it back for a while, but then after 2 invasions that failed because of time, we finally got it back. He lauched a major invasion of Puyang from Xuchang, but thanks to my 1800 merit in the battle, he lost, and is now rather crippled.

I have Xu Huang with all dueling skills, some good items (+5 Lead and Int, +10 Pol), and I think a 36-1 dueling record (lost to Yue Jin earlier, bleh). Liu Dai still just has those two cities, but we have a huge officer pool (mostly Wei people that Xu Huang can befriend really quickly). I swore brotherhood with Xu Chu (hehe, Xu Huang and Xu Chu). Yuan Shang is gaining a lot of power in the north, with Gongsun Zan finally faltering, so I am going to push Liu Dai into finishing off Cao Cao to prepare for him.

Xu Huang is a good person to start with, I think. He starts off with all unit-type special skills, which means he's incredibly versitale, plus he's a great duelist, even if his War is a tinge lower than some. I haven't thought about what I am going to do next. I might go back to my travelling guy who does quests, and not assault Zou Jing this time :)
Fáng Ai (防哀) hao Aishī (皚獅, White Lion), Duke of Yan (Yan Gong)
101*.87*.44.78.39
Dash I, Gongshu II, Jianshu II, Smith II, Trainer II, Wall II

Sim Turn Length Analysis - Last Updated 4.06
Bonaparte
Marshal

Post by Bonaparte »

Is it repetive as VII? I always just develop, attack, and allienate. At the end I pillage my enemy cities until they run out of food, and I attack.
Deng Yue, 40
51-46-50-78-80*
Military Administrator II, Civil Administrator II, Diplomat II, Politician II
Items: Horse (+1 Speed, E), Ring of Changsha (+3 Charisma, E)
Xiang Zhuang
Marquis

Post by Xiang Zhuang »

Bonaparte wrote:Is it repetive as VII? I always just develop, attack, and allienate. At the end I pillage my enemy cities until they run out of food, and I attack.
It can be. The AI tends to get into rhythms of doing nothing except developing a lot, it seems, especially if you break the storyline in historical mode. However, it is more free than in RTK 8 in that most of the requests the prefect/viceroy/ruler gives grant you 90-100 days in which to accomplish them. Most actions you do within the city only take 10 to get the minimum requirements for the action, so unless you really want to get a ton of deeds, you can take your time and do other things. I usually get my orders, do them, then either get trained in a stat by someone (takes 20 days) or do a job request (quest) at the tavern. I stick to the local ones, which are typically easier and shorter, while they only grant a small amount of fame and money. Then I return to the tavern for my stuff, and go back to the castle to show them my results.

Oh, and instead of them giving you just one thing to do, whenever you finish your orders and return to the castle they usually allow you to pick from 4-6 options of what you want to do. Not complete freedom, but it is a step above how it was in RTK 8.
101*.87*.44.78.39

Bonaparte
Marshal

Post by Bonaparte »

It sounds good. When I tried to get a prefect or general rank in RTK8. I had to get a certain requirement. When I reach that requirement, I found out that it's not my goal anymore.
Deng Yue, 40
51-46-50-78-80*
Military Administrator II, Civil Administrator II, Diplomat II, Politician II
Items: Horse (+1 Speed, E), Ring of Changsha (+3 Charisma, E)
Xiang Zhuang
Marquis

Post by Xiang Zhuang »

I haven't actually got a rank yet in any of the games I've played on it, so I'm not sure how that works. I don't even know if officers get ranks!

They do use a variation of the Class system from RTK 8, involving deeds. You have to be of Class 5 to become a Prefect, and Class 2 (I think) to become a Viceroy. It can be tedious to build up your deeds, but there are two sure-fire ways to get them up quick. First is to over-develop anything you are assigned to. For civil developments, this is not difficult if you possess the skill that goes along with it, because it allows you to change the time involved without having to spend more money. Doing this can result in a gold bonus, and typically gives you a nice deeds result.

The second way is to dominate in battles. I've received like 1800 deeds once from a battle. If you are proactive and go after weak units for kills and etc., you can expect about 500 or so. This is very nice since most developments or other actions give about 100 normally.

Deeds disappear if you leave your ruler, though, which is annoying. However, I believe your initial starting amount is based upon your fame. So if you want to start off with a nice class, don't forget about doing stuff to raise fame, like tavern job requests.

I haven't actually been made a Prefect or Viceroy yet. I was a ruler once. Started in Jian'an and attacked Wang Lang's Huiji. However, I found out soon afterward that, because I had no Class 5 people, I couldn't appoint a prefect over Jian'an (since I moved my capital to Huiji), and had to leave the city with just some troops and no officers. It is a bit annoying in that regard, but only as a ruler. I probably won't seriously try my hand at ruling for a while yet.
101*.87*.44.78.39

Galagros
Administrator Emeritus

Post by Galagros »

Galagros wrote:
Galagros wrote:I just have to double post.

I've been playing as Jiang Qin for 30 years now. I begain as a free officer in Shou Chun durin ght YTR then moved to Bei Ping. I did a whole lot of requests until I had 300 fame. Of course, Gongsun Zan was too stupid to recruit me/accept me, so I went to Liu Yan in Ji who would accept me. We built that city up from small or medium to XL and maxed it out. We got all the troops we could and lost attacking Ping Yuan 3-4 times. We only had 1-2 good officers and no siege weapons (which really did us in). Eventually the YTs were destroyed and the storyline kicked in. So Dong Zhuo came and went and Yuan Shao came and went, etc. Liu Yan was dead by now and Liu Zhang was ruler. Gongsun Zan (who was on the rise) attacked us and we repelled him pretty easily. But then, super smart Liu Zhang sends 160,000 men to take care of 8,000 barbarians as Ji is being attacked. The city falls, kingdom ends, I'm a free officer. So I go to Kong Rong, who still has one city and 2 officers. I've been there ever since and we now have great officers and a maxed XL city. Gongsun Zan took everything north of Bei Hai and he just took Luo Yang too. He attacked us a few times and we've beat him. We took Ran Zi and that other fort, but have failed to take Ping Yuan a billion times. I swear ... without siege weapons you can not defeat a city with maxed defense.
Well then, to make a really long story semi short .... after many many bloody battles attacking Ping Yuan and eventually took it. It was a kingdom blooming ... or so I thought. At one point we held Nan Pi, but only for 10-15 days. And of course the troops we used to take that came from Ping Yuan, leaving it defensless. Both cities were lost. We took Ping Yuan again, lost it again, took it again, and I got made prefect! Little did I realize how much that was going to suck. I only had two beat up units (bow and horsebow), and about 1000 defense. Yet I held back a 45,000 man hoard all by my lonesome. They attacked again in a few days and I held back 60,000 men with 850 defense and 8,000 bowmen. This time would be the last though, I knew. There was less than 200 defense afterwards and my unit was tiny. In the next battle the city was lost and I returned empty handed to Bei Hai. There we once again maxed everything. I had yet to achieve 1st class and so I worked on that until I did. I'm now near sixty years old and will probably die soon. He Jin/Dong Zhuo/Li Jue/Cao Cao controls near everything from Tian Shui to Shou Chun to Xia Pi. Lu Bu has three cities including Pu Yang. Ma Teng has three or four cities. We (Kong Rong) have Bei Hai. And Gongsun Zan/Gongsun Xu/Zhang Lu has everything in the north. Not much is happening besides the back and forth fighting in Ping Yuan and Zhang Lu's slow, but steady decent into the south west. Oh yeah, I have almost 800 fame ... and at the spring meeting I had 9700 deeds once. Now I'll just wait to die and see what will happen (probably). I guess this really wasn't semi short, but when you compare it to 20 hours of gameplay it is. :)
Okay, time to finish this sad tale.

After losing Ping Yuan for the final time, losing Mt. Tai fort and Rin Zi fort, and having Bei Hai attacked over and over again we sibmitted to He Jin/Dong Zhuo/Li Jue/Cao Cao/Cao Pi. Bai Hai all but dead. We could draft no more (only 20,000 population) and had about 45,000 troops left. We withstood 3-4 attacks, but in the end lost. I then moved to Wu and joined Cao Pi. He made me prefect of Jian Ye and told me to capture Shou Chun, but that was impossible because I only had 50,000 men and couldn't recruit anymore. The city was lost and I returned to Wu. I was expecting to die soon, but of course that didn't happen. Zhang Lu had all but 10-12 cities by now so I just did what an old person would do. I debated and instructed officers at the castle. I kept seeing my character looking like Huang Zhong in Kessen II. Anyways it took forever, but I finally died at the age of 68. I had no heirs, saw none of my dreams realized, and supposedly died a sad and lonely death. :cry:
Chen Yu
Officer Info
Tian Dan, King of Qi
Officer Info
Zhong Ce
Officer Info
reiswind
Officer

Post by reiswind »

Bleh. I was thinking about getting Romance of the Three Kingdoms X, but I got Digital Devil Saga (gogosmtwhores) instead. I guess I'll nab it after my next paycheck.

I've heard a lot of mixed reviews about Kessen III. Is it worth getting?
Yang Pei (30)
83-21-87-92-21
Delay I, Engineer III, Entrench I, Field Engineer III, Scout I
Xu Fu
Lieutenant

Post by Xu Fu »

Kessen three Way way to easy. I wish it were multiplayer and have all the different factions via for control. Then they would have a billion dollar game. The maps and fighting is good for most part. Brilliant just simple.
Last edited by Xu Fu on Fri Jun 24, 2005 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Xu Fu (27) 78 - 87* - 42 - 65 - 60
Charge II, Civil Administrator I, Faze II, Instructor I, Military Administrator I, Qiang Shu II, Raid II
Provincial Influence 44, Provincial Bond 86