Book Discussion

Moderator: Game Masters

ann
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ann »

I hate Ayn Rand! I hate many things about Ayn Rand! One thing I hate is her belief - revealed in many of her books as well as in personal statements - that women *enjoy* physical force in sexual encounters. This is not the only thing I hate about her - but I generally hate pop philosophy of all kinds.
Ayame
Sergeant

Post by Ayame »

Xiu I love the Shanara books. I am a teenager of course, and I would agree it really is aimed at us. Great books though.

One of my favorite books, and I don't know if anyone here read it, its also a teen book maybe a little older. "Her Majesty's Wizard" I loved this book, the charm and story got me. Micheal Stockpole, funny man. Great series for anyone out there looking for a fun book.

I'm reading, like everyone has, "Romance of the Three kingdoms" good book. haha.

But I also just finished up Omerta, and the God Father, great books to look into.
Name: Fujin
Gold: 225
25-85-96(+3)-51-77
Doctor II, Public Planner II, Engineer II, Yueshu I
Fame: 275
Book: 烈火 (+3 Int)
ann
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ann »

Currently I am reading Han Shaogong's A Dictionary of the Maqiao. I'm enjoying it a lot though it's clearly one which suffers in translation.
Ayame
Sergeant

Post by Ayame »

What is it about?
Name: Fujin
Gold: 225
25-85-96(+3)-51-77
Doctor II, Public Planner II, Engineer II, Yueshu I
Fame: 275
Book: 烈火 (+3 Int)
ann
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ann »

It's a novel presented as a dictionary - ethnolinguistic - of the people of Maqiao in southern China. The entries are interconnected vignettes of village life and stories mainly from the 1960s. But I'm reading it in translation which probably doesn't do the novel justice at all. Here's a link

http://www.complete-review.com/reviews/ ... nshaog.htm
Adranis
Little Goober
Location: Just remember, the low blood pressure demon is writing you up.

Post by Adranis »

ann wrote:I hate Ayn Rand! I hate many things about Ayn Rand! One thing I hate is her belief - revealed in many of her books as well as in personal statements - that women *enjoy* physical force in sexual encounters. This is not the only thing I hate about her - but I generally hate pop philosophy of all kinds.
I read her book The Fountainhead. It was really long and confusing...damn my English teacher >.> She calls her philosophy "Objectivism", and her beliefs are indeed...controversial? I don't know the word to describe it.
Qiao Lin (21)
53-44-96*-31-92
Deride III, Diplomat II, Envelop I, Politician II, Propagandist II, Public Planner II, Spy I
Items: Book of Rites (Int+4)

V2: 1 dead, 1 retired, 1 inactive.

<XuQuan> I would be a good houseboy since I don't like wearing clothes.

<Flawed> TEAM FLAWED - We're Wrong, and We Know it, so Screw you.

* Dreamer|Lernen sucks off to rp with no one.
Saga
Not-so-new recruit

Post by Saga »

Anyone read Warlock by Wilbur Smith? I must say it is an amazingly written book...
Shu Liang (20)
94-55-68-43-85 Gold: 150
Skills: Military Administrator, Public Planner, Deceive, Diplomat, Formation, Instructor

Personal Army: 1200 soldiers drill of 60 equipped with Leather Armor and Horses
Follower: Deng Zu(34) 84-42-57-74-47 Entrench II, Rally I, Challenge I, Trainer I, Diplomat I, Field Advisor I
Duke Williams
Marquis

Post by Duke Williams »

Hmm... I recommend the book, "Wizards First Rule" by Terry Goodkind. It was a pretty good book even though it has some adult material. Most of it blanked out with cut scenes but it leaves you with an obvious notion on what happens during the cut scene. Nonetheless I liked the book very much and the ending was somewhat of a surpriser.
Gu Xi (15)
Stats: 79-18-85-74-65
Skills: Civil Administrator II, Confuse III, Diplomat I, Envelop I, Military Administrator II, Politician I
Xiu
Sergeant

Post by Xiu »

Naurek wrote:I started reading the Chronicles of Narnia a few months ago, and though I finished a few of the books, I couldn't finish them all. They were a little "hokey" for me. I remember when I was 9 years old, I read the Lion, Witch and the Wardrobe and loved it. When I read it recently, I was left with a sense of lacking.
But would you feel comfortable with reading them to your daughter? :)

She might love them. Especially if Daddy did voices!
Zhou Xifeng, 15, female
58/56/83/59/92*

Scribe III, Diplomat III, Politician II, Doctor I
Naurek
Sergeant

Post by Naurek »

Xiu wrote:But would you feel comfortable with reading them to your daughter? :)

She might love them. Especially if Daddy did voices!
hehe, she would. I have been reading her the Wizard of Oz. It might be a little too much for a 3 year old. :) There is actually quite a bit of violence (the story of how the Tin Man became...Tin!), but it's a good book.
Huangfu Yuan (46) 71-27-85-90-45 Civil Administrator II, Confuse I, Doctor I, Lure I, Military Administrator II, Public Planner I
Lord of Dicheng