Chu Provincial Roleplay

Moderator: Game Masters

Xu Shu
Sergeant

Re: Chu Provincial Roleplay

Post by Xu Shu »

(OOC: The family helping from within was more of an RP reasoning for going along than an actual game mechanic that could actually help, sorry. :) )

Lei smiled at the thought of going to war.

“Although I did at one point put fire into men’s hearts during the rebellions against Qin, I did not actually see battle at the front lines, so I do not know whether I would be fitting to accompany you. Besides, the Prime Minister already lost District Official Shen to these expeditions, and he would be quite short staffed if I left as well. As for your strategies… I guess they will work. I am not proficient in military tactics to judge their effectiveness. Judging by what kind of resistance was met by Ying Ranzhen in Hann, you could lose many men. Surely you can win without my little tongue?” Lei paused a moment while looking at the map. “What do you intend on doing about the threats brewing in Qi?”
Xu Lei (40) 40-47-59-82*-98* Civil Administrator II, Diplomat II, Doctor, Politician III, Rally II
Secretary to the state of Chu

NPC: Hu Zhe 66-64-53-79-45 Civil Administrator I, Delay I, Dash I, Instructor II, Assemble I
Jin Shi
Colonel

Post by Jin Shi »

((Just a little flavoring on my part. :) ))

Ma Su had remembered the last time he had asked a civil servant if he understood his strategies, and he'd been offended. Yet when he rambled on this time, the politician didn't know what was going on. "Oh well," he thought. When he spoke of the Prime Minister, Su frowned.

"I do not wish to deprive the Prime Minister of a key officer... but if you could be spared for just a month it would be a boon towards our cause. If we want to start pacifying Liang now and be on schedule we will need to have a motivated garrison.

I realize that we will experience casualties. They are a necessary part of war. And judging from what I saw in Dingtao, their garrison is quite large, so we will have a challenge ahead of us no matter what the disposition of the men. The only thing we can change is how many casualties we will have. If the men act orderly and believe they're fighting for a good cause, they will fight harder and be more respectful towards their superiors, thus less likely to get themselves killed and kill more of the enemy.

I know you haven't experienced war firsthand before, but in the event the capital needs someone experienced with motivating men on the battlefield, you could fit that role. It is better to be knowledgeable of what you're writing about in all those papers as well." He smiled a little, but it was clear he was a little anxious to get Xu Lei on board.

"As for Qi, Zhefu and his ilk will not be foolish enough to go into Liang now that his cousin has become a guest at court and sees that two separate armies of Chu are moving into Liang. By securing Dingtao we will show the hordes of Qi that Liang is not their territory. I intend to serve as the front line between Chu and Qi with my forces."
Ma Su, 22 | Bio
77-98*-51-71*-41
Charge II, Dash II, Discipline, Intimidate, Qiangshu, Rupture III, Wall

V3:Huixi Zhe
Crim
Colonel

Post by Crim »

Phailak wrote:Han nodded without much interest.

"I am not one to withhold rewards for merit, do you have something specific in mind?"

He looked at his traveling companion as if for the first time, his battlefield criticism plain through his gaze.

"It is obvious you are strong and well versed in the martial arts, but I wonder if you will be able to challenge and taunt another officer into a duel, I do not see that in you."

As if that was a second hand worry, Han jumps back into the matter at hand.

"What can Liu Bang do? He seems to be having a hard time in Han, I bet he fears leaving its borders. Yong is a good location for a military operation, aside from those silly raids from barbarians, we can easily control access to our borders."
Xiang Jun laughed anew at Zhang Han's remarks. Giving it some thought, the youngster wheeled his horse opposite the army and back to the city of Chen.

"I promise to join your army when you decide to confront Liu Bang of Han. Sadly, your little skirmish in Yong does not interest me at all," he barked, with a slight contempt in his tone. "Until then, I will endeavor to learn how to prostitute myself to enemy officers on the battlefield, Marquis Zhang. May the Heavens be with you."

Without waiting for his answer, the Swordbearer sped back to Chen.

((Thanks for the RP.))
Xiang Jun, 18
37-90*-32-77-64*
Challenge I, Gongshu I, Intimidate II, Jianshu II, Qiangshu II, Smith II, Yueshu II
Items: Xiang Yu's Old Sword (+2 Might), Leather Cuirass (+1 Might), Imperial Tally (+2 Cha, Jewelry), Crossbow (Ranged), Zao Xing's Axe (+1 Might, unequipped), Zao Xing's Armor (+1 Might, unequipped), Horse (Speed +1)
NPC Follower: Jin Mei Liao (Female); 20; 34-22-61-72-89; Assemble I, Civil Admin I, Doctor I, Haste I, Inspire I
Xu Shu
Sergeant

Post by Xu Shu »

Jin Shi wrote:((Just a little flavoring on my part. :) ))

Ma Su had remembered the last time he had asked a civil servant if he understood his strategies, and he'd been offended. Yet when he rambled on this time, the politician didn't know what was going on. "Oh well," he thought. When he spoke of the Prime Minister, Su frowned.

"I do not wish to deprive the Prime Minister of a key officer... but if you could be spared for just a month it would be a boon towards our cause. If we want to start pacifying Liang now and be on schedule we will need to have a motivated garrison.

I realize that we will experience casualties. They are a necessary part of war. And judging from what I saw in Dingtao, their garrison is quite large, so we will have a challenge ahead of us no matter what the disposition of the men. The only thing we can change is how many casualties we will have. If the men act orderly and believe they're fighting for a good cause, they will fight harder and be more respectful towards their superiors, thus less likely to get themselves killed and kill more of the enemy.

I know you haven't experienced war firsthand before, but in the event the capital needs someone experienced with motivating men on the battlefield, you could fit that role. It is better to be knowledgeable of what you're writing about in all those papers as well." He smiled a little, but it was clear he was a little anxious to get Xu Lei on board.

"As for Qi, Zhefu and his ilk will not be foolish enough to go into Liang now that his cousin has become a guest at court and sees that two separate armies of Chu are moving into Liang. By securing Dingtao we will show the hordes of Qi that Liang is not their territory. I intend to serve as the front line between Chu and Qi with my forces."
Lei smiled at Ma Su's words. "With such motivation, you should have no trouble defeating the enemy." A part of Lei was itching to go to battle as well. His father always shielded him from it, and Lei thought it was almost a right of passage to be in a war. In this situation, he could also help his family gain more influence in Liang as well. The only thing stopping him were his current duties. Though the Prime Minister did give permission to an extent.... Lei looked up at Ma Su after a while of thought.

"My uncle used to say that war is but the continuation of politics by a different means. I would not be a very efficient politician if I weren't proficient in all its means." Lei laughed a little at his reasoning. "I have decided to join you, to learn more about war so that I can become a better politician. It means I will have to work extra diligently to make sure I don't fall behind on my other duties. I trust that you will take Dingtao swiftly so that I may return to Chu within a month. I shall have to inform the Prime Minister of my absence, however. So that a suitable replacement be set up in place."
Xu Lei (40) 40-47-59-82*-98* Civil Administrator II, Diplomat II, Doctor, Politician III, Rally II
Secretary to the state of Chu

NPC: Hu Zhe 66-64-53-79-45 Civil Administrator I, Delay I, Dash I, Instructor II, Assemble I
Jin Shi
Colonel

Post by Jin Shi »

Ma Su smiled as Lei made his decision. Patting a few of his officers on the shoulder as he walked closer to Xu Lei, he stopped just short of him and gave him a soldierly pat on the shoulder as well. He was a Secretary off the field, but now he was a military officer, and would be treated as such. "I'm sure the Prime Minister will waive your duties when he hears of your great exploits at Dingtao." He gave a small laugh. "Have a good night's rest back at the palace, we march tomorrow morning."

If there was nothing left to be said, Xu Lei was free to leave and prepare to march.
Ma Su, 22 | Bio
77-98*-51-71*-41

Gong Ao
Officer

Post by Gong Ao »

Jin Shi wrote:Ma Su sipped his tea as he listened to the man's response. He smirked at Cai Xuan's "people" comment, it seemed stilted. By serving in politics he'd already be serving the people, there was no need to repeat it. He nodded as Xuan spoke of his family. It was respectable enough, he wouldn't fault him for not being part of the larger family that existed in Chu.

"That all sounds fine to me, Master Cai. I would be more than happy to let you work in the style and areas you want, so long as you are productive. I feel I should speak of what, and where, I was planning on having you work."

He set down his tea cup and leaned back in his chair a little. "I am commanding an army of almost ten thousand men that is headed to pacify the city of Dingtao. I will need skilled men such as you to reestablish bureaucratic protocol and a functioning political system once I take it. You have the choice of either joining me now and helping me take the city, or waiting until I do and then reporting for duty at Dingtao. If you have any family you wish to keep safe you can take them with us to Dingtao or leave them here in Chen, your choice. The pay will be a standard 50 taels. Is all this acceptable to you? Which path do you choose, the farm or me?"
Cai Xuan had heard of Dingtao, which was not so far away that it would feel foreign. The money was no better than the previous offer he had received, but the closeness to home made him less anxious about possible mishaps. It was certainly a good enough deal for his liking. There was just another request that he needed to make.

"My lord, I would certainly be interested in taking up a post in Dingtao, but there is one more request that I must make. I have a son-in-law, Ming Yang, who has a bit of ability with various things but is particularly skilled with the tongue. He has worked with me in government in the past, and I would like to ask if you are willing to take him into your service also."

But there was one last thing that bugged him.

"Uh...about the whole army thing...I'm not really much of a military man. You're not expecting me to have much of an involvement in the fighting, right?"
Cai Xuan;51-41-76-82-33/Civil Administrator II, Engineer II, Jeer I, Poison I, Politician I, Public Planner II, Scribe I
Age 43
600 gold
Follower: Ming Yang(21) 26-60-57-48-85 Intimidate II, Envelop I, Doctor I, Gongshu I, Delay I, Decoy I, Trainer I
Jin Shi
Colonel

Post by Jin Shi »

Ma Su nodded as he listened to Cai Xuan's request. In-law's typically were not very effective, but, in order to placate this man he must be hired. If he was a good qworker then that was good, if not he at least would have Cai Xuan.

"Sure, your son-in-law will be more than welcome to be in my service. And if you find anyone else n your family or even outside your family who wants to come with me they're also welcome."

Su chuckled a little. "No, I will leave the heavy fighting to the professionals, and the heavy paperwork to the professionals." He smiled. "On the battlefield you will only play a supporting role, sending false orders to the enemy and that type of thing."

((Is Cai Xuan ok to fight this turn? I will assume yes unless told otherwise.))
Ma Su, 22 | Bio
77-98*-51-71*-41

Gong Ao
Officer

Post by Gong Ao »

A look of relief spread over Cai Xuan's face. Finally, he was employed again.

"Well, that settles that. Ming Yang and myself will take a day or so to pack a few things and join up with you. I'll leave the rest of the family behind for now until things have been settled at Dingtao."
Cai Xuan;51-41-76-82-33/Civil Administrator II, Engineer II, Jeer I, Poison I, Politician I, Public Planner II, Scribe I
Age 43
600 gold
Follower: Ming Yang(21) 26-60-57-48-85 Intimidate II, Envelop I, Doctor I, Gongshu I, Delay I, Decoy I, Trainer I
ann
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ann »

Rue Goung wrote:Jang tugged on his beard at the lack of information, it was not a dead end but still an inconvenience. when the young tavern boy was brought up and then appear, Jang looked down at him and smiled to ease his fear. bowing to the kid jang wished to try and make the kid more comfortable so he may get more information out of him.

"excuse me young lad, i am rou Jang, i have come here to ask you what you might know about the men you were serving before the bandits attack on your town. this man tells me you might have heard something that could help me in my investigation. if you tell em something i might be able to use ill gladly reward both of you for your efforts."

The boy looked quite excited - it was apparent that he'd told this tale a few times and was pleased to do so again. "They came in before they raided. They were from the north - I could tell as their voices were strange. And," he opened his eyes wide and adopted a scandalized look,"there were women!" The boy waited for the response he'd grown used to but didn't receive it. He sighed and continued in a more straightforward way, "They talked about leaving the area and then coming back. But," he paused and drew his brows together, "I'm not sure they meant here exactly.

Then the boy grinned and said, "But I heard a traveler yesterday speaking about demons in the north. Perhaps they're the same as these Shadows! In Changshan - or some place up north like that - they rip you to shreds and eat you!"
Rue Goung
General

Post by Rue Goung »

ann wrote: The boy looked quite excited - it was apparent that he'd told this tale a few times and was pleased to do so again. "They came in before they raided. They were from the north - I could tell as their voices were strange. And," he opened his eyes wide and adopted a scandalized look,"there were women!" The boy waited for the response he'd grown used to but didn't receive it. He sighed and continued in a more straightforward way, "They talked about leaving the area and then coming back. But," he paused and drew his brows together, "I'm not sure they meant here exactly.

Then the boy grinned and said, "But I heard a traveler yesterday speaking about demons in the north. Perhaps they're the same as these Shadows! In Changshan - or some place up north like that - they rip you to shreds and eat you!"
Jang listen intently as the child spoke. once again the information was not grand but a start is something at least. taking 20 gold out of his pouch jang placed it on the counter.

"thank you both for your troubles. myself as well as the king of chu thank you for your service this day. if you gain any more information, please contact me in the capital. i will be sure to reward any efforts to assist me in this endeavor."

unless there was anything else Jang would turn and leave, heading back from whence he came.