Movie Discussion

Moderator: Game Masters

Energetic Lemur

Post by Energetic Lemur »

I went to see the Fantastic Four movie tonight, and i really don't see what the critics are talking about. I thought the plot was good, the acting was convincing, and the interaction between the characters was great. The special effects were on the whole impressive too. There were exiting action scenes, and some hilarious moments. I was pleasantly suprised after the disaster that was made of the Hulk and Daredevil (Although X-men and Spiderman were good)

The whole issue that the science wouldn't add up completly misses the point. The film is FICTION. It's not meant to be possible. I don't see the point in going to the cinema determined not to enjoy something.

Overall i would reccomend it if you just want to enjoy a fun film, but if you care more about realism, theres always 'Titanic' :D .
Galagros
Administrator Emeritus

Post by Galagros »

I finally went to see War of the Worlds (someone else picked the movie) tonight. I went into the theatre expecting the movie to really suck. It wasn't a bad movie, but I thought it was no better than mediocre. It just seemed like way too much action and hardly any plot, but that was my opinion.
Chen Yu
Officer Info
Tian Dan, King of Qi
Officer Info
Zhong Ce
Officer Info
Zhu Wenshao
Ensign

Post by Zhu Wenshao »

I didn't bother to see War of the Worlds... I really just don't like Tom Cruise (with the exception of The Last Samurai). That Fantastic Four was horrible. To begin with, I really don't like super hero movies (the only exception would be Spiderman 2 [I didn't see the first, but the second was pretty decent]). I didn't think the characters were very interesting and I think the plot could have been much better. What I also hated was the seem of lack of challenge. I mean it is four super heroes against one villain. I think it has been the worst super hero I have seen.

I saw Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines recently. I thought the first two were great, but I didn't expect the same for this one (as it was made so late after the others) but I found myself to be wrong. Though it wasn't as good as the second (better than the first) I really thought the plot went well. I liked all of the conflicts and twists in the movie. The ending has been the best of the three (and it is hard to do that when you have a terminator sinking into lava giving a thumbs up). Hopefully they will make a 4, if so then I will be looking for it.
Zhu Wenshao, styled Longshajiao (Moon-struck Dragon)
Gold: 250
80-23-96*-81*-38

Pi Xie's Treatise on Pi Xie (+4 Int, +1 Jdg)

Field Advisor II, Doctor II, Confuse II, Muddle II, Delay
Tom
Major

Post by Tom »

*Sighs* Over the past 20 years, all we've had is remakes of films/making of films taken from books/se(pre)quels/ crappy thought up movies. Where was the days when movies that were released were excellent, new and imaginative. We seem to have run out of new ideas. The real travesty is that Hollywood is the richest its ever been! And they've done bugger all.
Xiahou Liang, 35
Ruler of Wuzhong
86-79-71-50-63
Dash, Inspire II, Lure, Manoeuvre, Rally, Reactive Defence, Wedge, Scout
trippy
Colonel

Post by trippy »

Some amazing cinematography has come from hollywood in the last twenty years. Kubrick's Full Metal Jacket and Eyes Wide Shut, Eastwood did beautiful things with Unforgiven and Million Dollar Baby, Se7en was phenomenal, silence of the lambs was the scariest movie I've ever seen. Just because schlock does well doesn't mean that all of Hollywood is bad.
Chuluun Sukh
67-107*-36-78-44
Jianshu II Qianshu III Smith II Challenge I Trainer I Charge II Javelin,
Horse Helm (Might +4), Billhook (Might +7), Armor (Might +7), horse (speed +5)
Tom
Major

Post by Tom »

I admit we have a few highlights like Se7en and Silence of the Lambs (sequel Hannibal) yet if we look at it in its entirety and compare what classics we've been blessed with in the 50s,60s,70s and 80s, though they may seem cheesey and poorly made now back then it was groundbreaking and horrifying. Nowadays, Hollywood sadly tends to push the limits of what it part of a person films target- blood, violence, sex, language, all used to make a "good film".
Xiahou Liang, 35
Ruler of Wuzhong
86-79-71-50-63
KDS
Lord

Post by KDS »

Any comments on the summer season so far? In my opinion, not one of Hollywood's greatest.
Tom
Major

Post by Tom »

Just seen Red Eye, which strangely enough was a very good film. I wasn't hoping for much- something to entertain me for an afternoon but overall a good watch- some parts were actually quite jumpy and the plot was relatively well developed as the film progressed.

I also saw Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. I hated that film- right down to the way the umpa-lumpa s looked like dwarf greek men to the way the ending was totally made up into something most of Hollywood wouldn't even think of trying to make plausible. Shockingly bad film!
Xiahou Liang, 35
Ruler of Wuzhong
86-79-71-50-63
Zi You de
Colonel

Post by Zi You de »

Lets see if I can remember what all I saw this summer.
err....
Alot of them made a huge impact, if you cant tell.
Bad news bears wasnt that great, if you like Billy Bob Thorton it makes the movie acceptable, but not that great.
Dukes of Hazzard was good, it has obviously been changed to suit a modern audience, far from the original TV series, but it was pretty good.
The Longest yard was okay, nothing shocking, but I'm not a sports fan.
Mr. and Mrs. Smith was allright, better than mediocre I guess.
(Allright, I admit. I am looking on the box office numbers to see what I saw...)
Other than that... I saw Brothers grimm wensday. I coined it more or less fittingly as 'Shrek with bloodsheed'. Far from alot of actual blodoshed, but a darker plot and moer violence, while twisting in various fairytales in some dark way.
And if you count Revenge of the Sith as a summer movie, I liked it.
Other than that...eh, not much. I am more looking fowards to the King Kong movie and Lord of War later this year.
Dai Mu Male, 27
90-94-22-67-18
Challenge I, Charge III, Gongshu II, Maraud II, Qiangshu III

"Zi You de has the best stat line ever. : P "
Tom
Major

Post by Tom »

I just saw Revolver. It is definately one NOT to watch. It tries to be so many films but fails in so many areas. The poor and unimaginative ending just shows how hard the directors have tried- too hard. Though the acting is quite good, the representation of famous quotes and the pointless voices in all each character's head fill a let-down film.
Xiahou Liang, 35
Ruler of Wuzhong
86-79-71-50-63