Chu Provincial Roleplay

Moderator: Game Masters

Gong Ao
Officer

Re: Chu Provincial Roleplay

Post by Gong Ao »

Jin Shi wrote:Ma Su thought it was strange that the man was so... slow when talking about farming. Maybe he didn't like talking about farming? His last question seemed strained enough. Perhaps he would like to be blunt like Su preferred? Su had in fact asked the question to plant an idea of wanting more in his mind, hopefully that had taken root in one go. Lightly laughing, Su replied "I haven't farmed any crops in at least 4 or 5 years. It's a much more carefree existence, but it's a little lacking in the variety department, I think."

He sipped some of his tea, and, seeing Cai Xuan wasn't drinking his, he motioned a little with a friendly gesture that he should. "No doubt you think along similar lines, or you would not have left your farm and family to come here and talk about employment. Your family has been involved in politics for multiple generations, I believe. I looked through some Chu records and found the Cai name in many different places. Are you interested in returning to that lifestyle?"
Cai Xuan wasn't actually too keen on variety. Variety meant having to constantly learn new skills. But he was definitely keen on leaving farm work behind.

"Certainly, I am indeed looking for a return to working for government. I believe that my abilities are better used in conducting feasibility studies and assessing building plans than in growing cabbages and rearing chickens. And of course, I want to put those abilities to use in serving the people."

He took a sip of his tea, relieved that he had at least pulled this one off. Ming Yang had said that everyone wanted to hire men who believed in the ideal of serving the public. It apparently showed enthusiasm, dedication or some other attribute that Cai Xuan lacked.

"As for my family, there have only been the three of us in government - my grandfather Tong, my great-uncle Yuan and myself. There is another family in this region who we are not related to. Most that you read will be about them, as they tend to get involved in the more showy projects. We have traditionally stayed out of the limelight, preferring to perform the day to day work that keeps the government and society operational."

Cai Xuan was considering asking another question, but thought better of it, deciding that given his own track record of asking stupid questions, it would be better for Ma Su to drive the discussion instead.
Cai Xuan;51-41-76-82-33/Civil Administrator II, Engineer II, Jeer I, Poison I, Politician I, Public Planner II, Scribe I
Age 43
600 gold
Follower: Ming Yang(21) 26-60-57-48-85 Intimidate II, Envelop I, Doctor I, Gongshu I, Delay I, Decoy I, Trainer I
ann
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ann »

Rue Goung wrote:Jang took a look around the empty room and sighed as he thought not much would come of this. turning once more to the tavern keeper jang bowed and nodded his head.

"it does look like times are indeed rough for you folks here. i am an officers under this kingship of chu Xiang Yu, as such i have been given thsi task to find and meet out justice to those bandits that have been plaguing you people. if i am provided with information that will help me in my task, i will be generous and reward those with information. if i deem the information false or unreliable then no reward. but i doubt you or your people of this town would blatantly steer me wrong in this endeavor sens im trying to help you. so if you would. do you know anything or know of some one who would know any information, regarding the whereabouts, numbers or names of those involved in the recant attack?"

Jang pulled out a small scroll and ink brush as he prepared to write down ,hopefully, any information he got.
The tavern keeper shrugged a little and then said, "What's reliable about bandits? We think they came in a few days before they attacked. They were a wild sort ... disturbed. I didn't like them but you know - if you throw them out they break the place up." He shrugged again and then said, "Of course I can't be sure - they were fast when they hit and they kept to the shadows. It was night. Not much to see."

He turned and called out toward the back room.

"The boy he served the ones we think did it. Maybe he can tell you more."

A young boy came rushing out of the back. The sight of the visitor startled him and he skidded to a stop. Then looked at his master quietly.

"This man wants to know about those bandits." The tavern keeper indicated the officer and then went on, "Tell him what you know."
Jin Shi
Colonel

Post by Jin Shi »

Gong Ao wrote: Cai Xuan wasn't actually too keen on variety. Variety meant having to constantly learn new skills. But he was definitely keen on leaving farm work behind.

"Certainly, I am indeed looking for a return to working for government. I believe that my abilities are better used in conducting feasibility studies and assessing building plans than in growing cabbages and rearing chickens. And of course, I want to put those abilities to use in serving the people."

He took a sip of his tea, relieved that he had at least pulled this one off. Ming Yang had said that everyone wanted to hire men who believed in the ideal of serving the public. It apparently showed enthusiasm, dedication or some other attribute that Cai Xuan lacked.

"As for my family, there have only been the three of us in government - my grandfather Tong, my great-uncle Yuan and myself. There is another family in this region who we are not related to. Most that you read will be about them, as they tend to get involved in the more showy projects. We have traditionally stayed out of the limelight, preferring to perform the day to day work that keeps the government and society operational."

Cai Xuan was considering asking another question, but thought better of it, deciding that given his own track record of asking stupid questions, it would be better for Ma Su to drive the discussion instead.
[/quote]

Ma Su sipped his tea as he listened to the man's response. He smirked at Cai Xuan's "people" comment, it seemed stilted. By serving in politics he'd already be serving the people, there was no need to repeat it. He nodded as Xuan spoke of his family. It was respectable enough, he wouldn't fault him for not being part of the larger family that existed in Chu.

"That all sounds fine to me, Master Cai. I would be more than happy to let you work in the style and areas you want, so long as you are productive. I feel I should speak of what, and where, I was planning on having you work."

He set down his tea cup and leaned back in his chair a little. "I am commanding an army of almost ten thousand men that is headed to pacify the city of Dingtao. I will need skilled men such as you to reestablish bureaucratic protocol and a functioning political system once I take it. You have the choice of either joining me now and helping me take the city, or waiting until I do and then reporting for duty at Dingtao. If you have any family you wish to keep safe you can take them with us to Dingtao or leave them here in Chen, your choice. The pay will be a standard 50 taels. Is all this acceptable to you? Which path do you choose, the farm or me?"
Ma Su, 22 | Bio
77-98*-51-71*-41
Charge II, Dash II, Discipline, Intimidate, Qiangshu, Rupture III, Wall

V3:Huixi Zhe
SunTzu
New Recruit

Post by SunTzu »

@Jin Shi

When Shu Yuan was asked if he was skilled in assassinations, he gave a slight nod. His profession was one that he never boasted for fear of being arrested. After listening to Ma Su speak one question started to weigh upon his mind; men of his talents were often arrested by the emperor’s men for committing the same acts that he would be required to do in the name of the emperor if he were to pledge his allegiance. If this had been a contract offered by an official, Shu Yuan would never have questioned the ethics of the situation, however being asked to serve the empire as an assassin was new to him. He had thought that the emperor was opposed to men of his skill as he had heard rumors of how the emperor had men of his profession tortured when caught committing a crime.

Shu Yan said, "Certainly, using my talents for both defense and attack in the name of the emperor appeals greatly to me, however, I thought the emperor was a man opposed to my art forms. How can I be sure that when the kingdom is reunited, I shall not be killed for fear that I may turn upon emperor by serving a man who wished the him harm?"
Shu Yuan Bio
33-74-64-70-64
entangle I, Gongshu II, Jianshu II, Poison II, Propagandist I, Saboteur II, Spy I
Jin Shi
Colonel

Post by Jin Shi »

Ma Su thought for a moment before replying. "My friend, every man in power faces that dilemma. That is a very philosophical point you're bringing up... Is a man trustworthy? Is he not? It does not matter whether he is one who works in the dark or gives flowery speeches to the people, everyone needs to be watched by the head authority. However if you prove yourself while in service to the Emperor, then he will have little cause to do away with you, correct? It is the risk every leader has to go through, whether to keep a skilled lieutenant and risk being overthrown or kick him out but leave yourself exposed to external dangers. As long as he knows you are under myself, a loyal servant, there will be little cause for him to want you expelled.

Proof of service will establish your credibility, and with that comes peace of mind in your case."

He continued walking along, but just then a soldier came running up to the pair from behind. Turning to see the messenger, the messenger almost fell on his face as he got on his knee at high speed and lifted up a scroll, still panting. "Thank you, private." He took the scroll and unrolled it, reading its contents. His expression stayed stoic until he finally rolled it up, and looked at Yuan with a wide smile. "I've received my commission, around ten thousand men are now under my command. So, Master Yuan, would you honor me by joining them?"
Ma Su, 22 | Bio
77-98*-51-71*-41
Charge II, Dash II, Discipline, Intimidate, Qiangshu, Rupture III, Wall

V3:Huixi Zhe
Crim
Colonel

Post by Crim »

As several armies of the great Hegemon King dispersed to the four winds, Xiang Jun couldn't help but smile at this turn of events. Not so long ago, the very presence of the Swordbearer seemed to have caused some friction in the Court of Chu. Many questioned his intent, some riled him to reveal the true desires of his heart and maybe, a few of the bastards who styled themselves servant to Xiang Yu, his power and his influence, even plotted to kill him. Yet, the actuation of the fools now betray their pathetic excuse for a facade in the not so distant past.

"May you have a sweet ride to the Nine Springs," he thought, mocking the mobilizing officers of Chu as they depart.

Atop a hill, Jun sat comfortably on his horse, scanning the majestic armies of the King as he did so. Among the many flags that came out of the city walls, the mysterious youngster was particularly looking for that which belong to someone whom he hoped to meet while in the service of Xiang Yu - the Qin hero-turned Chu supplicant Zhang Han. Rumor has it that the fabled turncoat have pleaded the King for an army of his own, and so Xiang Jun thought that today may be the only chance he'll have in a long time to gauge the man, and see whether the latter could serve the design Jun had fashioned for himself in this lifetime. Sending scouts to all directions, the Chief Aide to the King looked forward to learning the whereabouts of Zhang Han and his armies.
Xiang Jun, 18
37-90*-32-77-64*
Challenge I, Gongshu I, Intimidate II, Jianshu II, Qiangshu II, Smith II, Yueshu II
Items: Xiang Yu's Old Sword (+2 Might), Leather Cuirass (+1 Might), Imperial Tally (+2 Cha, Jewelry), Crossbow (Ranged), Zao Xing's Axe (+1 Might, unequipped), Zao Xing's Armor (+1 Might, unequipped), Horse (Speed +1)
NPC Follower: Jin Mei Liao (Female); 20; 34-22-61-72-89; Assemble I, Civil Admin I, Doctor I, Haste I, Inspire I
Phailak
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Phailak »

Zhang Han was not difficult to find. Despite perhaps his most deep inner feelings, he put on a brave facade for his men and any who would spy him. Finally, he was given something to do, something to strive for something to...

Han did wonder if his King had ulterior motives to sending him west but right now all he cared about was escaping the boring of court. Even drilling and preparing the men became a chore that he began to think would lead to nothing. Now many were on the move and he was glad for the wind in his face and the rhythm of marching men at his back.

His shoulders felt relieved of an impossible weight and his gait filled with confidence as he marched as the head of an army once again. He would soar in victory and would do so soon, nothing else mattered.
Crim
Colonel

Post by Crim »

As soon as Xiang Jun received word about the whereabouts of Zhang Han, the youngster swiftly rode towards that direction. Shortly thereafter, he was one with the army commanded by the Chu General. Identifying himself only with a piece of Imperial Tally that reveals his position in the Court of Chu, Jun would soon approach Zhang Han, saluting him as befits someone of his stature.

"Salutations, General," he will say to Zhang Han. "Congratulations on your new army commission. I am Xiang Jun - Chief Aide to the King."
Xiang Jun, 18
37-90*-32-77-64*
Challenge I, Gongshu I, Intimidate II, Jianshu II, Qiangshu II, Smith II, Yueshu II
Items: Xiang Yu's Old Sword (+2 Might), Leather Cuirass (+1 Might), Imperial Tally (+2 Cha, Jewelry), Crossbow (Ranged), Zao Xing's Axe (+1 Might, unequipped), Zao Xing's Armor (+1 Might, unequipped), Horse (Speed +1)
NPC Follower: Jin Mei Liao (Female); 20; 34-22-61-72-89; Assemble I, Civil Admin I, Doctor I, Haste I, Inspire I
Phailak
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Phailak »

Han nodded.

"Thank you Chief Aide Xiang."

Looking around, Han seemed to indicate with a deep breath he wasn't entirely sure he appreciated being accosted like this so he remained mounted and did not slow his advance. Still, he was curious so he waited patiently, listening to Jun over the noise of the army.
Crim
Colonel

Post by Crim »

"I know you prefer to march your army as swiftly as possible, Marquis Zhang," Jun remarked, kicking his own steep to keep up with Zhang Han's. "With your permission, please allow me to accompany you to the western borders and maybe, join you and your officers for supper when you make first camp."

He scanned the tail of the army and flashed a weak smile.

"The journey to Yong will surely be arduous, but you have kept the line in perfect order thus far. Impressive. Your men do honor to the name of their Commander."
Xiang Jun, 18
37-90*-32-77-64*