Chu Provincial Roleplay

Moderator: Game Masters

Trendkill
Colonel

Re: Chu Provincial Roleplay

Post by Trendkill »

Jian nodded, reassured by his brothers answer. It was odd how much Xiao was beginning to sound like their father. Of course this too he liked, because he often found himself missing the long talks by the fireside and the stories about wars and conflict which their father used to regale them with before bedtime. As the two walked towards the estate Jian looked up to Xiao and smiled, confident that, with his brothers help, they would make a profound impact on the world and ultimately make father proud.

As they continued to walk Jian suddenly smiled, almost devilishly, then said, "you know, I overheard mother the other day saying that you should marry soon. I think she's going to try and arrange something with that man who designs buildings, you know, that one who is always visiting mother. He has a daughter about your age, but I hear they have to cover her face with a sack so that the children don't run away from her in terror." He then glanced at Xiao from the corner of his eye to make sure he was properly teasing his older sibling. "I'm sure you two would make a fine pair!"
Jin Shi
Colonel

Post by Jin Shi »

Mat

Out on the balcony of his penthouse, Ma Su pondered... and remembered...

In the Mind of Ma Su

A young Ma Su, probably around 9, was sitting under a tree, clothed in imperial colors, as this other boy asked him about the book he had sitting next to him.
"Hey, are you going to read that?"
"Naw, you can have it."
Ma Su tossed it to the boy, who clumsily caught it. Su laughed a little, and the other boy's expression went from inquisitive to happy to frustrated in a matter of moments.
"Hey, don't laugh at me."
"Hahaha... Ok, sorry."
Ma Su looked at this boy with a puzzled expression. The boy had another book slung around his back, attached to what looked like a very worn leather belt. The boy, after regaining his happy demeanor, said in a chipper fashion
"My name is Zhou Yuan Ziyang, what's yours?"
"Ma Su. Pleased to meet you."
Ma Su stood up and bowed, then patted Ziyang very hard on his right shoulder, almost knocking him over. It was a sign of friendship in Su's mind, but probably only his. Ziyang regained his balance, and replied
"Guh, uh, pleased to meet you too."
Su replied almost immediately
"Wanna go play imperials and bandits?"
Ziyang hesitated, but it seemed he wanted to stay in Su's favor, and nodded in the affirmative. With that, the two ran towards the largest tree in the area...

Present Day

A loud banging erupted from behind Ma Su. Though not startled easily, he did quickly turn towards the door, his eyes flashing and his hand already at his sword. Realizing his life was not in immediate danger, he smirked and recovered, standing up to his full height of almost six feet and walked to the door. Upon opening it, he saw two stern guards and a disheveled man held between them. Upon hearing their explanation, Ma Su's eyes lit up and he laughed a roar of a laugh.

"I see he failed in that mission. Throw him in here."

The two guards promptly took one step forward and tossed the man into the center of the room. Su nodded to the two guards as they left, and closed the door.

"So, you dare to show your face again you swine!"

He bellowed at Ziyang. He picked him up off the ground, lifting him off the floor, holding his shoulders. He looked at the man before him, and chuckled. He then strongly patted Ziyang on the shoulder, holding him in place, and said

"It is good to see you again. Rice dumpling?"

-------------------
Rue

"Well, I have been serving on a variety of different missions over the past few years. I have been keeping the peace in Wei, my home province, as well as coming back here and serving stints as an officer in some campaigns. I too was recalled to the capital, that is why I am here now."

Ma Su briefly looked at his armor, and smirked as he flicked his chest plate

"Yes, I've been a mainly military officer. I have dabbled in city administration but it doesn't suit me much. Are you staying in the officer's penthouse up there?"

He pointed to a regal looking building near the palace.

"I am staying there, it'll be good to have some decent service again. Wei for all its beauty is not as fancy as the capital as you might expect, and I like getting free wine and dumplings every once in a while."

He chuckled.
Ma Su, 22 | Bio
77-98*-51-71*-41
Charge II, Dash II, Discipline, Intimidate, Qiangshu, Rupture III, Wall

V3:Huixi Zhe
Luo Xiao
Lieutenant

Post by Luo Xiao »

Xiao stuck his tongue out at his brother, reverting to the mannerisms he had displayed countless times after being teased.

"She doesn't sound much my type, brother. I like to hear a woman talk, so the bag would be counterproductive. Besides, our family should be marrying up, not marrying down. Maybe Xiang Yu will gift you with one of his concubines. You do lack a certain...stamina, that other warriors your age have in greater abundance." He said with a smirk, tousling Jian's hair as they continued to walk back to their home.

Jian had caused Xiao to smile, though. He was about the right age to marry. The problem would be finding someone suitable (and more aesthetically-pleasing than Lady Baghead)
Luo Xiao (26) 45-89-40-72-53
Charge II, Diplomat II, Jianshu III, Politician II
Materazzi15
Ensign

Post by Materazzi15 »

JIN

As the guards tossed Ziyang into Ma Su’s room he hastened to clamber to his feet, standing a little short of Ma Su Ziyang was nothing particularly impressive. He stood at perhaps five foot seven and under his plain black robes his lean figure was hidden from view. He had been a rather scrawny child in his youth but he had chiselled up in his late teens. Pulling his fathers plough had burned the puppy fat from his arms, back and chest and the Jianshu training he had taken up in his twenties had built up his fitness. Ziyang had told people that he wanted to look good, that he wanted to learn how to wield a sword but in fact the only motivation he had for training his martial skills were to impress Ma Su. He had left though, before Ziyang could show of his new sword arm, no matter, they were older now, more mature, games like imperials and bandits were no longer important. Ma Su was playing imperials and bandits for real nowadays, Zhou Ziyang however had fallen far behind his friend and he did not like it. Straightening his robes he glared as the armoured guards walked of, crouching back down he picked a few dropped items of the floor and stuffed them into his robes. They were lucky talismans, nothing particularly special, just a few things he had picked up on the way to Chu. The roads in Wei were no longer safe, any luck was welcome, it seemed that killings on the roads were becoming more common, it was a terrible shame. Gazing up at his old friend, Ziyang winced slightly as Su bellowed at him, his words were lost on Ziyang’s ears and as Ma pulled him to his feet Ziyang’s face was one of shock. What was going on? Was he in trouble? His questions were answered when Ma chuckled, indicating that all was forgiven, that he was welcome in his home. Shaking his head Ziyang retorted the “Rice Dumpling” nickname that had been bestowed upon him:

“Rice dumpling? I outlived that name a long time ago Su, you may be an imperial general to this lot but to me, you will always just be Ma Su of Wei. It is so very good to see you again my friend, all these years you have advanced yourself in Xiang Yu’s court, led armies, slayed bandits and all the while I have done nothing of note. I always believed deep down in my heart that it would be I standing where you do now, that it would be you coming to me for help. The gods sure do have a funny sense of humour don’t you think?”

Ziyang offered a small smile before shaking himself from his friends grip. Gazing around the room Zhou took in his surroundings, everything seemed so tidy and grand. From the large bed to the polished side table, oh my god, Ma Su even had a balcony! Turning his back on Su, Ziyang approached the balcony. The cold night chill was more than relaxing and the young man smiled as it washed over him, he spoke calmly:

“So is this how you treat your guests Su? Don’t you have any tea or rice wine to offer me?”

Ziyang turned around smiling:

“Pour me something to drink old friend and tell me one of your stories, you know I always enjoyed hearing your stories. I have been deprived of your tales for too long, tell me about one of your campaigns, have you ever been fighting a band of heathens and just wished I was sitting on the horse next to you to offer military advice? There have been many a day when I have wished you had taken me with you on campaign, I curse my family for refusing me permission to leave the village earlier....”
Zhou Yuan Ziyang [23]
80, 50, 85, 60, 18
Confuse II, Decoy, Envelop II, Jeer II, Jianshu, Scout, Sortie II
Trendkill
Colonel

Post by Trendkill »

Jian gave Xiao an indignant look then a smile. "I have all the stamina I need. I'm just not that in to the women around here. They're all full of themselves and obsessed with acting 'proper', I need a woman with spirit," he said before giving Xiao a playful push. "You know, I have heard rumors about a barbarian woman in Changsha. She's supposed to be as good at fighting as she is beautiful. Maybe I'll take a trip down there to see if the rumors are true."

He looked up again at his brother before adding, "would you want to come? Maybe we can find you a proper bride, one who can take down a lion with a single bow shot. That's the kind of woman we need!"
Jin Shi
Colonel

Post by Jin Shi »

Mat

"Haha, the gods just know who to favor."

He grinned a wide grin. He moved to his kitchen, probably as large as a peasant's home, and opened one of the three barrels of wine he had. Scooping a ladle full of it, still warm, he poured it into a silver cup and went to the balcony to hand it to his friend, and said

"I only tease you, Ziyang. You seem to have outgrown that name by your appearance."

He scanned his friend's physique, and nodded.

"It is good that you have bulked up, you will need it for what I have planned."

Su looked out into the darkness beyond again. The soft glow emitting from his penthouse did not travel far, but it did create something of an aura where the two were standing. Leaning on the thick wood rail, he turned to his friend again and said

"I will tell you a story first, though, since you insist."

4 Years Ago

Ma Su was a young soldier. A sergeant in command of 25 horsemen, he was riding hard to meet up with the main body of the army, having destroyed an encampment of a few dozen archers waiting in the forests nearby. This was his first major engagement, and he was enjoying it. Not the strongest soldier there ever was, he was still a force to be reckoned with. Having had his sword broken in a hand to hand fight with one of the archer bandits, he was now using a spear that was found at the bandit camp. His face covered in dirt and grime, his armor splattered with blood here and there, he was living the life.

He approached the valley where the main battle was happening. The bandits had just raided a town and imperial troops had been chasing this group of bandits for at least two miles, trying to kill them off. The valley had two main passes, one leading to the village and one to a bridge and a river. The valley was surrounded by trees, which Ma Su used to his advantage. Returning to the forest, Ma Su moved along the tree line, staying out of site, and flanked the enemy, cutting off their retreat. No bandits survived. Ma Su was awarded a small decoration and a ceremonial wooden sword for his actions.

Present

After Ma Su had finished recounting this story, he went into his bedroom, opened a drawer, and withdrew the same wooden sword. He brought it back to the balcony and showed it to Ziyang.

"This is the sword that I won for that battle. And that spear--"

He pointed to the spear leaning against a kitchen wall

"Is the one I got at that battle as well. I have added a couple things to it, reinforcing it and repairing it. I never leave for battle without it."

He smiled as he recalled fond memories of battle using his spear. Turning back to his friend, he said

"So you want a job? I may be able to help."
Last edited by Jin Shi on Sat Aug 14, 2010 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ma Su, 22 | Bio
77-98*-51-71*-41

Rue Goung
General

Post by Rue Goung »

Jin Shi wrote: "Well, I have been serving on a variety of different missions over the past few years. I have been keeping the peace in Wei, my home province, as well as coming back here and serving stints as an officer in some campaigns. I too was recalled to the capital, that is why I am here now."

Ma Su briefly looked at his armor, and smirked as he flicked his chest plate

"Yes, I've been a mainly military officer. I have dabbled in city administration but it doesn't suit me much. Are you staying in the officer's penthouse up there?"

He pointed to a regal looking building near the palace.

"I am staying there, it'll be good to have some decent service again. Wei for all its beauty is not as fancy as the capital as you might expect, and I like getting free wine and dumplings every once in a while."

He chuckled.
Jang let out a chuckle along with Ma Su. turning around and taking a look at the building jang nodded his head and then turned back.

"indeed i am staying there as well. i will have to admit, staying there is defiantly a head above living next to a trash heap , as well free stuff is always a plus in my book hahaa. but im glad you have returned from your adventure unharmed. it seems your talents will be needed a lot in the coming months with these upstarts declaring themselves the saviors of empire and people hahha. it always seems like this is how the world works...who knows, one day there might actually be peace...and flying apes as well."
Jin Shi
Colonel

Post by Jin Shi »

Rue

Su gave a sad smile as Jang talked of the forces claiming independence.

"I don't mind killing bandits, but killing upstanding people is always bothersome for me. Leaves a bad taste in your mouth."

He looked down at the ground for a moment, trying to shake off some bad memories. Looking back up, he put a smile on his face and put his arm around the man. He started walking--

"So, would you mind giving me a your of the city? I haven't been here in a while. Maybe we could go to the palace together and start our business relationship early?"

Liao Jian started trotting towards the housing building and called out

"I am going to go and rest, Master. I will see you back at the house."

Ma Su simply ignored him as if Jian hadn't said anything.
Ma Su, 22 | Bio
77-98*-51-71*-41

Rue Goung
General

Post by Rue Goung »

Jin Shi wrote:Rue

Su gave a sad smile as Jang talked of the forces claiming independence.

"I don't mind killing bandits, but killing upstanding people is always bothersome for me. Leaves a bad taste in your mouth."

He looked down at the ground for a moment, trying to shake off some bad memories. Looking back up, he put a smile on his face and put his arm around the man. He started walking--

"So, would you mind giving me a your of the city? I haven't been here in a while. Maybe we could go to the palace together and start our business relationship early?"

Liao Jian started trotting towards the housing building and called out

"I am going to go and rest, Master. I will see you back at the house."

Ma Su simply ignored him as if Jian hadn't said anything.

walking along with his new compatriot jang chuckled at the exchange...or lack there of between the two men.tugging gently on hsi beard jang looked around trying to think of a place's in the city.

"hmmm well i have not really been sightseeing in the city much but there is a nice little wine and tea house that we could talk at. or there is the city gardens i can show you, or the imperial achieve library. then again the market is always a nice place to get your pocket picked if your into that sort of thing hahaha."
Materazzi15
Ensign

Post by Materazzi15 »

Jin

Ziyang would return his friends smile and accept his apology for teasing him, he had expected it before he had come here, Ziyang may have been Su’s elder but Su had always been the confident one, the one that did all the talking and bragging. Ziyang preferred to lurk in the background, pull the strings from the darkness so to speak. He would crack his knuckles in an attempt to look menacing as Su complimented him on his lack of fat. It was no surprise to Zhou that Ma had a plan, he had always been someone who liked to be a step ahead, someone who could never be content sitting around. What it was that his old friend had planned Ziyang knew nought, but he figured that he was going to find out before the night was done. As Ma Su presented him with the wine cup, Ziyang took it gratefully, downing half of its contents before his friend begun his story. Like Ma, Zhou would lean idly against the wooden rail, his gaze overlooking the officer quarters gardens, Xiang Yu’s palace clearly visible a few hundred metres away. It was the perfect setting for a story and Ziyang found himself being led into Su’s world, a world of pain and glory.

It was an enthralling tale but Zhou had expected nothing less, he hung on Ma’s every word and gave a small cheer and a smile as the story came to an end, all the bandits eliminated and Su victorious. He squinted curiously as his friend retreated back into the house, laughing when he returned with the wooden sword from the story. Taking the handle in his hands he brought the wooden blade up before his face, Ma’s family name was etched up the side and it was certainly a beautiful piece of craftsmanship. He tore his gaze away from it to observe the spear fixed upon the wall, again, Zhou was impressed and he could not help himself wonder how many had fallen upon the spears tip. He could kill, he was sure of it, if it was necessary, he could run someone through, though he would much rather plot his enemies downfall and have other people do his killing for him. Twirling the wooden sword in his hand he switched it over to his right then to his left with quite some skill before presenting it back to its owner. Smiling Ziyang spoke:

“Your stories never disappoint, my friend Ma, we shall toast to your victory with this wine tonight, since I was not here to toast you at the time. I have changed quite a lot since we last spoke back in the village square in which we used to play, I have taken lessons in the sword and though I may not be as proficient or as skilled as yourself I do believe if I had to I could protect myself. I would not hinder you on a march if you would take me, I have studied both the classics and military journals. I can recite passages from Sun Tzu’s art of war and explain them Brother Ma, I would be an asset not a burden. Tell me of your plans, where you intend to go from here and we shall see if there is a place for Zhou. I tire of working the endless days in an old library; it’s no place for someone like me, its dull work and I left the peasant chores back on my father’s farm. I sold up you know, a lifetimes work and all I could manage was a mere one hundred gold pieces. Land in Wei is not worth what it once was, had they been alive my parents would have cursed me for accepting such a low price. War is coming and they say the first things to be burned and ruined are the farm lands. Do you intend to pursue Liu Bang in the name of Xiang Yu? Or have you something else on your mind Ma?”
Zhou Yuan Ziyang [23]
80, 50, 85, 60, 18
Confuse II, Decoy, Envelop II, Jeer II, Jianshu, Scout, Sortie II