Huainan Provincial Roleplay

Moderator: Game Masters

Jiang Chao
Officer

Re: Huainan Provincial Roleplay

Post by Jiang Chao »

Lu Shu smiled upon hearing the compliments for Ma Dieu. It seemed as Ma Dieu was a good warlord, satisfying his soldiers and keeping them occupied with his campaigns. "I hope that you can understand me, when I say that I do not share the same virtues as Ma Dieu. I only know your Lord through his actions. I only know that he gathered an army and marched into my lands with only rumours as proof. He banished me, and now he wants to bring me back to my people, and make me his friend. Forgive my worries, but it is hard to trust a man who has just stepped on you." He paused, and looked at Cesheng. "Tell Lord Ma, that Lu Shu would appreciate if Ma Dieu would return to his own domains. There is still a chance that we can become friends."
Huang Ning. 28
92-72-44-68-31
Military Administrator II, Discipline II, Sortie II, Rupture II, Delay II, Entrench

Very Dead Guy Lu Shu, 23
62-19-78-38-85
Deride II, Diplomat II, Politician III, Rally II
Li Dao Wen
Marquis

Post by Li Dao Wen »

Xun Jiang neither said anything nor did anything in response; still it was apparent in his silence that he disliked hearing the term 'lord' and 'your' in the same sentence when referring to him. He was nobody's servant or vassal, and some part of him wished to rebuke the man for making this often-fatal mistake. But he was kind enough to say what he truly thought, and if there was one thing about silver-tongued men that he liked, it was seeing the rarest of virtues for their kind: honesty.

He saw that his and Ceshang's business was drawing to a close in Yutai, that Lu Shu will not submit to General Ma. While he did not know what the letter actually said, he knew what measure the General will take in response. He waited for Ceshang Pin to say something, anything, to dismiss them and conclude their talk, so they could go back to the matter which actually concerned him.
Shang Yu, strategist and miser

Formerly:

Xun Jiang the Black Ogre, King of Yan
Unchained Phoenix
Colonel

Post by Unchained Phoenix »

Mardagg wrote:On a sunny day, 12 men approached the village where Puyang Shuang was residing. There was an army of elite soldier camping nearby and it was told that a wise and strategist men where commanding them. Cesheng Pin, an officer of Ma Dieu dismount and approached the captain of the guard as he get closer to Puyang Shuang residence. '' I am Cesheng Pin an officer of General Ma Dieu: I have come here to speak with Puyang Shuang if he is available, he should be aware of my visit.'' He bow with respect and waited to see the captain answer.
The position of “Chief” or “Village Head” was not glamorous by any definition of the world. In a sense, the entire world took a steaming crap on anyone who went by such a title, reducing them to the very smelly abyss where they dumped the rest of their garbage. With no political or military leverage, men who called a collection of villages their own were mere chess pieces at the control of greater lords. The cold and unforgiving hand often moved the pieces without detection, similar to the stealthy hands of the Heavens, who controlled the fates of all. This sort of unworldly control was no secret, however—the destinies of mortal men could be traced across the skies as easily as the practiced stroke of a brush. Few men ever took the time to look up and appreciate the natural beauty in the world above them, and thus, their subservience went largely unnoticed in the grand scheme of things.

Such held true with Chieftain Puyang Shuang of Huaiyin, an independent lord who equipped himself with the proverbial blinders on the daily. In his mind, he was not at the control of any man or deity. For this reason, he was able to elude the asphyxiating grip of both Lu Shu and Ma Dieu. His small territories prospered under his rule, a mere side-effect of the work that his officials and lieutenants put in without even being asked. Shuang remained content with ignoring his responsibilities and passing them off to others, all while reaping the rewards which came in the form of gold and repute. Meanwhile, his three main bases operated as a solid unit, withstanding the tests of time for now.

Having abandoned his homeland in favor of this little project of his, Puyang Shuang now made his home in the village that he simply referred to as “Alpha”. Neighboring militias and other groups often passed through this area, as it was situated near the edge of Huainan. Rarely did one of these groups make a pit stop, however, and thus those who called Alpha home could only stare bemusedly as Cesheng Pin bravely made his way deeper into the village. The regalia and attire were quite intimidating to the simpletons, also disgustingly foreign in a place that placed great importance in tradition and living modestly. Some would silently point in the direction of Puyang Shuang’s residence, while others would simply turn face and neglect to acknowledge this new and unannounced arrival. Waves of distrust pervaded the beaten roads and paths, and these waves would carry Pin to the shore, where the Chief’s residence waited patiently.

Comically, Puyang Shuang lived in a three-story home that seemed to be painstakingly made from northern timber. Before the envoy could even think about traversing the gates to the main property, Alpha guards would approach him at the Square, a large area that preceded the residence and was much more kept than the rest of the village. The Square was outfitted with benches and small gardens that withstood all threats of weeds and squalor, maintaining their green sheen as summer slowly changed to autumn. There were noticeably more troops in this area, both holding their posts and passing through to other parts of the village. Do not applaud the young nobleman for this system—his territories were maintained by his anonymous servants, after all.

“An officer of a mere General?” the captain said haughtily, pausing to laugh joyously before everyone there assembled. “So what does that make you? A houseboy, I presume? Lord Puyang did not inform us of any frail lackey who was to pay a visit on this day. You are sorely mistaken, and cannot pass through. Better luck next time.” He crossed his thick arms and overtly moved his attention to a pair of peasants who aimed to start playing a game of Sacks right in the middle of the Square. How absurd!

“You want to see the Chieftain?” came a small voice, belonging to a village elder who always seemed to be lurking around the Square. The locals respected his wise man to no extent, often calling on him to read their fortunes or proffer financial advice. The old gentleman beckoned that Cesheng Pin approach carefully, joining him as he sat peacefully outside of the only bookshop in Alpha Village. The sun snuck behind a rather large cloud, which only allowed a few bolts of sunlight to drop to the earth to keep the world alive. The other guards in the area did not pay Pin or the elder much mind, as they were now on the perimeter of the Square, engaging in a harmless conversation… or so they thought.

“Chief Puyang never stays at his residence for too long. He is quite an unfortunate soul at that,” he acknowledged woefully, pausing to crack his knuckles. “Instead of tending to his people and actively engaging himself with his responsibilities, he travels and explores as though he is still an ignorant child. The world has not yet unfolded itself in his eyes, and thus he remained aloof and uninterested in local affairs. If my guess holds any merit in your eyes, officer, I would try to head down to the cliffs that overlook the Eastern Sea. There you might find the Chief relaxing and taking a break from his meaningless tasks of the day.” The elder bowed kindly enough, extending his arm towards the alley adjacent to them, this being the quickest path to the famed Yuxian Cliffs.

. . .

It was strange.

The Eastern Sea was seemingly limitless in its expanse, disappearing into a heavy mist that ran along the horizon. The waters were impossibly deep and if there really was life out there, how could they live so far from intelligent civilization? Were they also looking into this asphyxiating fog, wondering what was out there past the furthest reaches of their imagination. In reality, the Sea was not too large as compared to the other seas and oceans of the world, and its depth could one day be measured. The mist would eventually fade as permanent as it seemed, and the world would continue to operate as it had for thousands and thousands of years, not at all dependent on China. Absurd, that notion was, especially considering how many important changes were happening on the mainland. They may not have been the center of the world, but this was definitely the place where the era’s greatest legends were born and nurtured. Nowhere else mattered. Nowhere.

The bow’s string creaked as his nimble and somewhat inexperienced fingers drew it tight. Somehow he felt the fragile ticking of time in his mind and in his joints. A hyperawareness plagued him on the daily, but it also made him stronger. Focus and determination were now his middle names. The arrow shivered under the weight of his resolve, feeling in his digits all of the cunning and tact that got him to this point today, now entering adulthood and growing strong at an exponential rate. To take aim into the drab scenery was to take aim into the future, charting his course point by point and vaccinating himself against the disease that now plagued his country’s leaders. They were pathetic, and most likely acne-ridden to boot.

“Sir, are you frozen? Need you my assistance?” came a deep voice.
“W-W-WHAT?! Are you kidding me right now? Are you serious? Is this a friggin’ joke?” the archer howled, lowering his bow and looking over his shoulder to see his concerned bodyguard slowly approaching his vantage point. The winds picked up to verify his discontent, sending loose hairs flying around the young man’s smoothed features.

“I’m sorry Sir, I just…”
“No, you’re right. You just. You just, that’s all! Again, you just distracted me from my training. Just go take a walk. Actually, take a jog. Take a run. Run down to the shore and throw your head into the sea and hold your breath until you see spots. Maybe then you’ll be able to give that oblong lump you call a head a jumpstart, Yuan Man.”

Now, by no means was Yuan Man mentally retarded or anything of that nature. He was a bit slow, having never attended school, and this “quality” of his was what Puyang Shuang preyed on most. Ever ready to unintentionally bolster the savant’s self-esteem, Yuan Man quickly became Shuang’s most trusted aide. The two met in unusual circumstances, and they therefore had an unusual relationship. The nobleman would never confess to appreciating Man’s company and protection, but felt unequivocally on-edge whenever Man wandered off to do god-knows-what. Sometimes Puyang Shuang that his guard would accidentally kill himself trying to do what was sarcastically suggested of him, and thus he spoke with a tone that was not one-hundred percent biting. If his aspirations were to be realized, Yuan Man would need to be there by his side. It was pitiful, but it was the truth. Always plan ahead young dragon, always plan ahead.

And thus, as Puyang Shuang continued to yell at Man for ruining his shot into the sea, and as Man tendered his never-ending apologies, no doubt the passersby in the Alpha Village would overhear the ruckus down near the jagged rocks. It was generally a tranquil area, so the fits of noise and rage were a breath of fresh air, oddly enough.
Puyang Shuang (19) 60-45-114*-43-80*
Aid II, Confuse I, Decoy I, Deride II, Entangle I, Jeer I, Scout II, Scribe II
7986 (100) Troops
547g

Followers: Hua Gongming, Yuan Man
Mardagg
GameBreaker

Post by Mardagg »

Jiang Chao wrote:Lu Shu smiled upon hearing the compliments for Ma Dieu. It seemed as Ma Dieu was a good warlord, satisfying his soldiers and keeping them occupied with his campaigns. "I hope that you can understand me, when I say that I do not share the same virtues as Ma Dieu. I only know your Lord through his actions. I only know that he gathered an army and marched into my lands with only rumours as proof. He banished me, and now he wants to bring me back to my people, and make me his friend. Forgive my worries, but it is hard to trust a man who has just stepped on you." He paused, and looked at Cesheng. "Tell Lord Ma, that Lu Shu would appreciate if Ma Dieu would return to his own domains. There is still a chance that we can become friends."
Cesheng Pin listened attentively to Lu Shu’s answer; he already knew that the virtue of Lu Shu relied with the people more than the military aspect of ruling. It was in fact one of the reason why Ma Dieu decided to go to him: not only would he compensate Dieu's lack of civil abilities towards the people of Huainan but they would also both have their own responsibilities, not interfering with one another, when important decisions would have to be made. Cesheng Pin also knew that Ma Dieu invaded Huainan based on facts, not rumours, when a letter bearing the seal of Lu Shu was intercepted by one of his men. Ma Dieu sent the letter to Xiang Yu as a proof after giving order to march against Lu Shu, the supposedly traitor... The people of Xuyi convinced Ma Dieu otherwise and made terms with the nobility of the city to offer to Lu Shu, terms they all judged reasonable... Censheng Pin was very concerned about Lu Shu’s response: how can he reject the Emperor’s authority over this land: maybe he was really working against the Emperor??

''Ma Dieu is in fact a Lord of the Emperor, he was sent with an army to conquer land in his name. The land he was ordered to take was the southern region of Liang and Huainan. Liang was taken by Ma Su and Hin Wu who are also Lords of the Emperor. Lord Ma invaded Jiaoxi when a known rebel revealed himself: he was brought to justice and paid the price of his rebellion. Lord Ma only invaded Huainan based on facts he had at his disposal: we think that a plot was possibly made by the enemies of the Emperor to lure Lord Ma into Huainan, but only time will tell who was truly behind all this. You must know that when Lord Ma arrived with his allies into Huainan both cities where already empty telling him that you didn’t want to face justice…. The bright side of this is that no one was killed in the process. It was many days after that the people of Xuyi decided to convince Lord Ma that Lu Shu was not a rebel and was in fact trusted and loved by his citizens. You talk about Lord Ma’s domain, but it’s in fact the Emperor’s domain he has secured in his name. Lord Ma and the Emperor need you to help administrate the state and will make sure you receive the proper rank to administrate Huainan under the Emperor’s authority. If you choose to refuse to recognize the Emperor’s authority over Huainan you will become something you and you’re people say you are not and inevitably lose the trust of the people you swore to protect. Perhaps if you prove your loyalty in this way, you may win back your independence later on or you may later petition to the court once you have proven to them such loyalties.''
Last edited by Mardagg on Fri Oct 22, 2010 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jiang Chao
Officer

Post by Jiang Chao »

Lu Shu sighed. It seemed as if he had not made his point clear. "I do not wish to associate with the Emperor, or to be put under his banner. The terms which I made with the people of Xuyi were that they were to be able to reap their own benefits, that I kept taxes low, and that the people would be allowed to follow their beliefs without someone breathing down their necks. I will not return to Xuyi at this moment. The Emperor and Ma Dieu might not understand, but the people do." He bowed respectfully to the gentlemen. "I must ask you to leave now. I have matters in my town which I have to attend to." He tried to be more direct. Cesheng was being stubborn, and made claims which he had no proof of.
Huang Ning. 28
92-72-44-68-31
Military Administrator II, Discipline II, Sortie II, Rupture II, Delay II, Entrench

Very Dead Guy Lu Shu, 23
62-19-78-38-85
Deride II, Diplomat II, Politician III, Rally II
Mardagg
GameBreaker

Post by Mardagg »

Jiang Chao wrote:Lu Shu sighed. It seemed as if he had not made his point clear. "I do not wish to associate with the Emperor, or to be put under his banner. The terms which I made with the people of Xuyi were that they were to be able to reap their own benefits, that I kept taxes low, and that the people would be allowed to follow their beliefs without someone breathing down their necks. I will not return to Xuyi at this moment. The Emperor and Ma Dieu might not understand, but the people do." He bowed respectfully to the gentlemen. "I must ask you to leave now. I have matters in my town which I have to attend to." He tried to be more direct. Cesheng was being stubborn, and made claims which he had no proof of.
''I do not think you understand Master Lu. Lord Ma was not asking you to associate with the Emperor, he was telling you you have to. I understand now that you are indeed defying the will of the Son of Heaven and I will therefore bring back your message to Lord Ma as you requested. I understand your position and loyalties, thank you for being honest." He bow with respect and left with Xun Jiang and his men...
Mardagg
GameBreaker

Re:

Post by Mardagg »

Unchained Phoenix wrote:The position of “Chief” or “Village Head” was not glamorous by any definition of the world. In a sense, the entire world took a steaming crap on anyone who went by such a title, reducing them to the very smelly abyss where they dumped the rest of their garbage. With no political or military leverage, men who called a collection of villages their own were mere chess pieces at the control of greater lords. The cold and unforgiving hand often moved the pieces without detection, similar to the stealthy hands of the Heavens, who controlled the fates of all. This sort of unworldly control was no secret, however—the destinies of mortal men could be traced across the skies as easily as the practiced stroke of a brush. Few men ever took the time to look up and appreciate the natural beauty in the world above them, and thus, their subservience went largely unnoticed in the grand scheme of things.

And thus, as Puyang Shuang continued to yell at Man for ruining his shot into the sea, and as Man tendered his never-ending apologies, no doubt the passersby in the Alpha Village would overhear the ruckus down near the jagged rocks. It was generally a tranquil area, so the fits of noise and rage were a breath of fresh air, oddly enough.
After following the old man's advice, Pin heard some yelling and decided to investigate with his small group of men. Having but a quick description of Shuang, he decided this was probably the man. "Excuse me, I am Cesheng Pin, representative to Ma Dieu, I was hoping to find Lord Puyang in his village but was instead guided here, are you him?"
Unchained Phoenix
Colonel

Re: Re:

Post by Unchained Phoenix »

Mardagg wrote:"Excuse me, I am Cesheng Pin, representative to Ma Dieu, I was hoping to find Lord Puyang in his village but was instead guided here, are you him?"
Without any ado, Shuang turned face and drew his bow against this uninvited stranger. Yuan Man also quickly recovered from the whirlwind of abuse, drawing his blade and taking one step in front of his master to protect him. There was a brief fit of tension as the pair stared down Cesheng Pin in great suspicion. As the waves crashed against the cliffs behind them, Yuan Man slowly lowered his blade and believed Pin to come in good faith, but the village leader kept his arrow between his fingers, one eye closed as he addressed the envoy.

"Yes, I am he," Puyang Shuang acknowledged darkly. "You come from the capital? What does that moron want?"
Puyang Shuang (19) 60-45-114*-43-80*
Aid II, Confuse I, Decoy I, Deride II, Entangle I, Jeer I, Scout II, Scribe II
7986 (100) Troops
547g

Followers: Hua Gongming, Yuan Man
Mardagg
GameBreaker

Re: Re:

Post by Mardagg »

Unchained Phoenix wrote: Without any ado, Shuang turned face and drew his bow against this uninvited stranger. Yuan Man also quickly recovered from the whirlwind of abuse, drawing his blade and taking one step in front of his master to protect him. There was a brief fit of tension as the pair stared down Cesheng Pin in great suspicion. As the waves crashed against the cliffs behind them, Yuan Man slowly lowered his blade and believed Pin to come in good faith, but the village leader kept his arrow between his fingers, one eye closed as he addressed the envoy.

"Yes, I am he," Puyang Shuang acknowledged darkly. "You come from the capital? What does that moron want?"
''Seying your opinion towards my master I thing my presence here is otiose.'' Cesheng Pin and his men left to go back to Xuyi.
Mardagg
GameBreaker

Post by Mardagg »

In the middle of September, seying that the rebel Li Jiancheng refuse to pay a small ransom for his offices:

Lil Chi Xi (thefish) and Zheng Mingshun (Willow) are executed.

Pan Shaozu (BJR) his release considering the advice Ma Dieu receive from his officers to spare his life, (if he tries to charge the guard and refuse to be release he his to be knock and drag outside the city....)

''Your lord refuse to pay a ransom for your release and wish your death, if I was you I would have doubt about how your lord value your life and the life of his officers... at this point it's probably better for you to go west....'' Before they left, the guards trew him a bag with proper dressing and food for his journey....