Quizbowl!

Moderator: Game Masters

Ashikaga
Game Master Emeritus

Post by Ashikaga »

Hmmm, since no new question was posed, what were the men called who lead mercenary bands in Italy from the late Middle Ages until the mid sixteenth century?
"When you enter the theater, please walk to the end of the row filling in all available seats. Stopping in the middle is distinctly unpatriotic"
- Sam the Eagle

Luanti Maodun, Bandit in Changshan
TGC
Lieutenant

Post by TGC »

Ashikaga wrote:Hmmm, since no new question was posed, what were the men called who lead mercenary bands in Italy from the late Middle Ages until the mid sixteenth century?
Is it Condottiero?
XM sent me; he said "Stop asking me if I have a blog or podcast. I have no idea who you are."
Ashikaga
Game Master Emeritus

Post by Ashikaga »

Close, Condottieri actually, but I will give it to you!
"When you enter the theater, please walk to the end of the row filling in all available seats. Stopping in the middle is distinctly unpatriotic"
- Sam the Eagle

TGC
Lieutenant

Post by TGC »

Here's an evil one for you Americans.

As a political figure of New France (1655 – 1763), his ideas and policies diversified the colony's economy and tripled its population in less than fifteen years. Who is he?

What makes it evil is the fact I doesn't give his actual position. :P
XM sent me; he said "Stop asking me if I have a blog or podcast. I have no idea who you are."
Ashikaga
Game Master Emeritus

Post by Ashikaga »

Isn't it Colbet, Louis XVI's finance minister who tried to promote people to go to the colony?

Jean-Baptise Colbert?
- Sam the Eagle

TGC
Lieutenant

Post by TGC »

Ashikaga wrote:Isn't it Colbet, Louis XVI's finance minister who tried to promote people to go to the colony?

Jean-Baptise Colbert?
Try again!
Kaori
Not-so-new recruit
Location: on a rapidly melting glacier with a polar bear and running out of room

Post by Kaori »

It's Jean Talon, Intendant, and he accomplished that by forcing young women to leave their homes and go to french north america...a harsh sentence *shiver*
Sun Rin 15
(29-84-80*-20-100*)
Doctor I, Spy I, Yueshu II, Faze II, Haste, Jeer.
127 gold
TGC
Lieutenant

Post by TGC »

Kaori wrote:It's Jean Talon, Intendant, and he accomplished that by forcing young women to leave their homes and go to french north america...a harsh sentence *shiver*
You're right! Save for the part where he forced them! They actually were orphans, abandonned wives or homeless young women that had been taken in by the king. Going to New France technically was a way to give them a new hope. Since they couldn't be (re)married in France, because of customs.

Next question is yours, Kaori!
Kaori
Not-so-new recruit
Location: on a rapidly melting glacier with a polar bear and running out of room

Post by Kaori »

I meant that it was hardly a choice for orphans (although I suppose that isn't really leaving their 'homes' eh?). It was definitely better than poverty...but with where they were going, not so much :P

Anyway, what was the name of the English Monarch that ordered the dissolution of the United States Congress?
Sun Rin 15
(29-84-80*-20-100*)
Doctor I, Spy I, Yueshu II, Faze II, Haste, Jeer.
127 gold
TGC
Lieutenant

Post by TGC »

Kaori wrote:I meant that it was hardly a choice for orphans (although I suppose that isn't really leaving their 'homes' eh?). It was definitely better than poverty...but with where they were going, not so much :P

Anyway, what was the name of the English Monarch that ordered the dissolution of the United States Congress?
George III of the United Kingdom?