Book Discussion

Moderator: Game Masters

Shi Zhi Mi
Colonel

Post by Shi Zhi Mi »

Kymvir Raemiz wrote:Eddings really is about which series you read first. Whichever one you grab and read first will live in your memory as fantastic.

I read the Belgariad, and it still has a warm place in my heart as one of my earliest beloved fantasy series. The Sparhawk books were written afterwards, and Shi is absolutely right in saying all of his characters from series to series are the same. They have the same sense of humor, the same anti-communist storyline.

That's right, anti-commy! How many times can the heroes of the West defeat the evil gods of the East using the All Powerful Magical Stone?

Ahem, anyways.

I've never read Pratchett, and I could never read a Canadian! ;)
Heh..the special place in my heart is the Sparhawk books. I love the witty remarks between the knights. You need to read Pratchett. His humor and satire of fantasy is hilarious.
The Xiong Nu have left the building!

Liu Bei(43) 90-40-63-62-80
Military Adminstrator II, Marksman II, Lure I, Diplomat II, Politican I
Item: Dai Lu(Horse: +3 Speed, + 1 Attack)
Master Kong
Lieutenant

Post by Master Kong »

Terry Pratchett is awsome, I have about 10 of his books in my collection. His version of Death...is just...wonderful. So is the Death of Rats.

My favorite right now (I keep on switching around), is Hogsfather, with Lost Continent close behind.
Formerly; Ji Xu, the Patron Saint of the Secret Service, and Dai Li Ma, POEE Pope and Non-Prophet.

Name: Jiang Gonghu
93-58-43-95*-22
Marksman III, Gongshu II, Field Engineer II, Dash II
areon
Captain

Post by areon »

Ishy Julu wrote:I think two authors that people neglect are David Eddings (The Belgariad/etc), and Terry Pratchett, the greatest comedic fantasty/satire writer in the history of the entire universe.
I read his first book in the magika series or whatever with the wizard. Funny that I run into a lot of people on other sites who follow his books more than any other ones.

This past school year I did a lot of world history reading alongside a world history from the French Revolution to modern.

My favorite was a Czech perspective of the 40 years war on how both sides just...trashed their economy ultimately. It also gave details on fighting that started with a revolt against the Empire, followed by the rise of a catholic general who controlled a lot of territory until Adolphus defeated him. That's the only name I commited to memory, but if anyone is interested I can look the book up again and provide more.

Recently I'm reading a book on the zulu history called "Wash the Spears", which made me realize how much Jordan drew the Aiel from the zulus. It's an interesting book because it is told as a story with memoirs and eyewitness accounts from Europeans and natives equally.

Some others I read were a book on anglican/american eugenics, Things Fall Apart which is about colonialism destroying african culture in a nigerian village, The Geography of War and Peace-a book showing how politics is transferred to maps and historical referances, and among others fictions the origional Frankenstein novel written by some famous french person; that one was surprising to say the least.

I read more but will post later...
Pei Jia

If the egg's shell does not break, the chick will die without being born. We are the chick; the egg is the world. If the world's shell does not break, we will die without being born. Smash the world's shell! For the revolution of the world!
Dro
Ensign

Post by Dro »

Kymvir Raemiz wrote:As far as Epic Fantasy goes, the currently writing three big authors are George R. R. Martin, Robert Jordan and Terry Goodkind.
What about Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickmann (I'm more familiar with their joint projects than their solo works).

Chinua Achebe, Things Fall Apart, great book from what I remember.
Last edited by Dro on Fri Apr 21, 2006 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hu Daman (27)
89* - 84* - 45 – 45 – 17
Charge II, Dash II, Discipline II, Raid II, Sortie II
Items: Book (+4 Com), Armor (+3 Mgt)
Galagros
Administrator Emeritus

Post by Galagros »

Dr. Dro wrote:
Kymvir Raemiz wrote:As far as Epic Fantasy goes, the currently writing three big authors are George R. R. Martin, Robert Jordan and Terry Goodkind.
What about Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickmann (I'm more familiar with their joint projects than their solo works)
I've never heard of those two, what did they write?
Chen Yu
Officer Info
Tian Dan, King of Qi
Officer Info
Zhong Ce
Officer Info
Shi Zhi Mi
Colonel

Post by Shi Zhi Mi »

Galagros wrote:
Dr. Dro wrote:
What about Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickmann (I'm more familiar with their joint projects than their solo works)
I've never heard of those two, what did they write?
They created the Dragonlance world that TSR has pimped out in books and old, 1st edition modules. The Chronicle series is a good read. They also created one of the greatest bad guys in novel history, Raistlin Majere.

Dro
Ensign

Post by Dro »

They also (after creating Dragonlance) wrote the Death Gate series, a 7 book series. Its a good series, as it is first told as a good vs evil, but by the end, they've analyzed both sides and it becomes one side vs the other side. Its funny, cuz they unoffically (jokingly, since they don't have the rights) connected it to the Dragonlance and the real world to the 4-5 new worlds.
Hu Daman (27)
89* - 84* - 45 – 45 – 17
Charge II, Dash II, Discipline II, Raid II, Sortie II
Items: Book (+4 Com), Armor (+3 Mgt)
Kymvir Raemiz
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Kymvir Raemiz »

Weis and Hickman wrote a lot of stuff - Dragonlance Chronicles and Legends, both of which were very good. The followup written much later - Dragons of Summer Flame - was perhaps the biggest disappointment I've had though. I've never read a worse book with a strained storyline and lame cameos.

Then the Rose of the Prophet series - which sucked. The Darksword? Trilogy - which sucked. And the Deaths Gate Cycle - which had its moments, especially at the start, but in the end was only mediocre.

While Weis and Hickman could be considered Epic - since the Dragonlace Chronicles did involve the entire continent, I tend to ignore them because the world wasn't developed on the scale of the three authors above.
Last edited by Kymvir Raemiz on Sat Apr 22, 2006 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Xiu
Sergeant

Post by Xiu »

One thing to remember about Chronicles and I think an extent legends... but Chronicles for certain is that it was based on a game and their own characters from some of the things I have read regarding those novels.
Zhou Xifeng, 15, female
58/56/83/59/92*

Scribe III, Diplomat III, Politician II, Doctor I
Shi Zhi Mi
Colonel

Post by Shi Zhi Mi »

Kymvir Raemiz wrote:Weis and Hickman wrote a lot of stuff - Dragonlance Chronicles and Legends, both of which were very good. The followup written much later - Dragons of Summer Flame - was perhaps the biggest disappointment I've had though. I've never read a worse book with a strained storyline and lame cameos.

Then the Rose of the Prophet series - which sucked. The Darksword? Trilogy - which sucked. And the Deaths Gate Cycle - which had its moments, especially at the start, but in the end was only mediocre.

While Weis and Hickman could be considered Epic - since the Dragonlace Chronicles did involve the entire continent, I tend to ignore them because the world wasn't developed on the scale of the three authors above.
The problem with the Summer Flame was that TSR wanted to launch a new world and demanded that Weis and Hickman write a book to create this new world. Like Kym I thought the book sucked and as a gamer the world itself sucked as well. Majorly. But I highly recommend Chronicles and Legends. The characters are fleshed out rather well, there is intrigue, and of course death galore. The introduction of a new race is always a boon as well.