Liang Provincial Roleplay

Moderator: Game Masters

Shen Feng
Colonel

Re: Liang Provincial Roleplay

Post by Shen Feng »

Shen Feng winced as Ma Su attempted to barge his way in, suddenly quite conscious of the general's self-professed weakness in diplomacy. As the overweight man mentioned a bribe, Feng glanced back to the door they'd entered from, not wanting him to see his disdain. He sighed, then rose from his seat, shaking his head and speaking softly to Ma Su.

"You heard the magistrate as well as I did before. We're not here to antagonize him, which both of us going in would definitely do. I think it's best if I go in and do the talking on my own. That said, it's your mission, so if you're confident in yourself..." Feng trailed off, likely betraying his own lack of confidence in the general's diplomacy in doing so. Still, it was better not to be too forceful, they weren't here to fight each other.
Jin Shi
Colonel

Post by Jin Shi »

Ma Su, realizing his tactic had not worked, now reverted back to his stony expression. He looked at Shen Feng with a look of annoyance. He had hoped Feng would not speak just yet, but alas... He nodded at Shen Feng, but mostly ignored what he had said. He then had a double take, realizing that the man had asked for a bribe. "Hmm, this is more direct, I suppose. But it could be twisted very easily if this fat little man decided he didn't like us."

He replied in a quieter voice towards the little man

"I apologize for my brashness, I meant no offense." He looked up at his own eye level at the door, as if trying to look at what was through the doors, before looking back down at the man. "I will allow my colleague to lead the way then." He stood aside, motioning for Shen Feng to go through. Alas, this was not Ma Su's time to shine.

He then put his arm around the little man and said
"Do you think you and I could have a chat while my friend here talks to the great Fǔyǐn Tang Yo? It may be worth your while." He motioned for Liao Jian to come over and join Ma Su in this new conversation.
Ma Su, 22 | Bio
77-98*-51-71*-41
Charge II, Dash II, Discipline, Intimidate, Qiangshu, Rupture III, Wall

V3:Huixi Zhe
Lurking Tyranny
The Florentine Admin
The Florentine Admin
Location: "When you play the game of thrones, you win or you die. There is no middle ground."

Post by Lurking Tyranny »

Ma Su and Shen Feng
The little attendant signaled to a guard with a nervously shaking hand that he should allow Shen Feng entrance. The guard looked a little dubious, but when Ma Su began leading the attendant away, the guard felt he had no other option and after knocking once and receiving three knocks back in return, he pulled open the double doors and gestured for Shen Feng to enter. The guard would then close the heavy door behind Feng.

Outside the chamber:
The small attendant was visibly very nervous, sweat dripping from his forehead, but he licked his lips at the prospect of profit, especially from a group that came from the rich lands in Chu. The little man walked with Ma Su and though he was visibly intimidated by the larger, stronger men, his glances toward the complex soldiers reassured him some. "We can talk. Come let us walk and talk."

Inside the chamber"
The first thing that Shen Feng saw upon entering the chamber was a massive wall rug of red and yellow which depicted a sun rising over the red plains. That, and the armored men with crossbows pointed at the entryway who stood before it. The chamber was large and decorated in a lively manner. Bright colors and expensive vases filled the chamber, along with several more soldiers and a good amount of household servants. Pacing nervously was an extremely thin man in his forties, while dark hair beginning to gray on the sides just above his large ears. He had a hooked nose, that made him seem raptor like in his appearance. He halted suddenly at the emergence of Shen Feng and pointed a short spear in his direction.

"So you are the envoy from the King of Western Chu?" He said with a voice dripping with obvious suspicion.
GMNPC's
Fan Zeng, Prime Minister of Chu

Player Character
Gu Hama of Ba

Liu Bang then asked Han Xin, who had served under Xiang Yu but was driven out, "what is Xiang Yu's weakness? Is there a way to defeat him?" Han Xin calmly replied, "No, Xiang Yu himself is invincible, he is destined to be king."
Shen Feng
Colonel

Post by Shen Feng »

Well, so much for enjoying the feeling of not having crossbows pointed at him. Feng glanced about the room, taking everything in, before settling his gaze on Tang Yo, noting that even the magistrate was armed. They'd wasted no effort in preparing, apparently. Had they been tipped off that this delegation was coming?

Despite the danger, Feng flipped on his disarming smile, stopping just inside the door. It was probably fortunate that he'd been the one to enter, as he looked much less threatening than the general Ma Su. Feng was a smallish man, and with no weapons on him he looked quite innocuous. But now was the time to put that to the test.

"I am one of the envoys, yes. You wished to see only one of us, and I have been chosen. My name is Shen Feng, and I hail from nearby Chenliu." He slowly and deliberately raised his arms before him and clasped his hands together, before bowing to the Fǔyǐn, showing respect without making any sudden moves that might agitate the crossbowmen. "While I come on behalf of the Hegemonic King of Chu, I do not come bearing any ultimatums or demands. We are not seeking to take your city from you, to take your independance from you. The people of Dingtao suffered heavily during the fall of the Qin, and we have no wish to add to their problems." Relaxing his arms once more, Feng glanced around to the guards, curious if they would become more lax with his words, or if they would wait for word from Tang Yo to let up, if indeed such word was coming.

"This is a fine audience chamber, my Fǔyǐn. You are obviously a man with a good eye for art. Where did you acquire that vase?" Wanting to ease the tension, Feng turned the conversation to something he knew Tang Yo would be interested in, a chance to show off his love for art, or at least to brag about his expensive belongings. Something could still be salvaged from this visit, but it would require the magistrate to be calmed.
Lurking Tyranny
The Florentine Admin
The Florentine Admin
Location: "When you play the game of thrones, you win or you die. There is no middle ground."

Shen Feng wrote:Well, so much for enjoying the feeling of not having crossbows pointed at him. Feng glanced about the room, taking everything in, before settling his gaze on Tang Yo, noting that even the magistrate was armed. They'd wasted no effort in preparing, apparently. Had they been tipped off that this delegation was coming?

Despite the danger, Feng flipped on his disarming smile, stopping just inside the door. It was probably fortunate that he'd been the one to enter, as he looked much less threatening than the general Ma Su. Feng was a smallish man, and with no weapons on him he looked quite innocuous. But now was the time to put that to the test.

"I am one of the envoys, yes. You wished to see only one of us, and I have been chosen. My name is Shen Feng, and I hail from nearby Chenliu." He slowly and deliberately raised his arms before him and clasped his hands together, before bowing to the Fǔyǐn, showing respect without making any sudden moves that might agitate the crossbowmen. "While I come on behalf of the Hegemonic King of Chu, I do not come bearing any ultimatums or demands. We are not seeking to take your city from you, to take your independance from you. The people of Dingtao suffered heavily during the fall of the Qin, and we have no wish to add to their problems." Relaxing his arms once more, Feng glanced around to the guards, curious if they would become more lax with his words, or if they would wait for word from Tang Yo to let up, if indeed such word was coming.

"This is a fine audience chamber, my Fǔyǐn. You are obviously a man with a good eye for art. Where did you acquire that vase?" Wanting to ease the tension, Feng turned the conversation to something he knew Tang Yo would be interested in, a chance to show off his love for art, or at least to brag about his expensive belongings. Something could still be salvaged from this visit, but it would require the magistrate to be calmed.
The ruler of Dingtao did not give any signal to his men to lower their weapons, but after a moment he did relax the spear in his own hand. He smacked it's iron shaft into the palm of his other hand and licked his lips. "So then the nobles and people of Chu come instead to other no demands, but rather gifts?" He raised one thin, gray eyebrow.

Tang Yo stopped pacing and stepped back to seat himself in a low purple cushioned throne. He continued to hold the spear like some form of ruling scepter. He shifted in the seat for some time, trying to get comfortable. "The house of Tang would look kindly upon the gifts of Chu. In what form does the King wish to give his gifts?"

The man who called himself Fǔyǐn looked with one eye over to the vase that Feng seemed to mention. He began to open his mouth to answer the man, but then thought better of it. "It was a gift from one of the aristocrats in the district." He then gave a mild laugh and smiled like the Cheshire cat. "What gift has Chu brought to my domain?"
GMNPC's

Player Character
Gu Hama of Ba

Liu Bang then asked Han Xin, who had served under Xiang Yu but was driven out, "what is Xiang Yu's weakness? Is there a way to defeat him?" Han Xin calmly replied, "No, Xiang Yu himself is invincible, he is destined to be king."
Shen Feng
Colonel

Post by Shen Feng »

Shen Feng chuckled in response, inwardly wondering what kind of idiot this governor must be to be expecting gifts from Xiang Yu. Still, this was progress of sorts. "I am afraid I do not come bearing gifts, my Fǔyǐn." He paused for a moment, before raising his hands to ward off the expected angry reply. "But do not take that the wrong way. The ministers at Chen know very little of you, my Fǔyǐn. To send a gift without knowing what kind of gifts the recipient likes could very easily wind up being an insult, and we of Chu would not wish to insult your eminence any more than you would wish to insult us, I am sure. And so I, your humble diplomat, have come to get to know you, to see what it is that you like. And I can tell you have good taste."

Though tempted to take a step or two forward, Feng decided not to push his luck. Tang Yo might not be satisfied with his explanation, after all. It was obvious he wasn't playing with a full deck, to sway so quickly from suspicion and fear to greed. "The Hegemonic King of Western Chu would be quite pleased to be able to work with you, my Fǔyǐn. If that takes more vases like the ones you have here, then so be it. Or perhaps you would like a sculpture? I know of a fine jadeworker in Chen who could put together a masterful piece for you. Or would marble be more to your tastes?"
Lurking Tyranny
The Florentine Admin
The Florentine Admin

Shen Feng was right to be worried about the reaction of Yo, for his nostrils flared and his chin quivered with anger when the truth that no gift was delivered was broached. He slapped the spear into his hand again, loudly enough for it to be deliberately noticeable. It was fortunate that Feng had such a way with words, for the man who called himself Fǔyǐn of greater Dingtao did glance momentarily to the two men holding crossbows.

"They know little of me? Hmmph."

He leaned back further into the cushions and sucked in a long, calming breath of air. Lifting his left hand he signaled for the two men to lower their weapons. He then smiled at his guest, like a wolf at a stray lamb. "Jade is ever a favorite medium of mine." He said with no small degree of fondness. "The King of Western Chu wishes to work with me? Work with me you say..."

He pointed toward the huge rug he had hanging from the wall with the spear he still held. "A Jade sun would make a lovely statue to be placed just outside my audience hall doors, do you not think?" returning the spear to rest in both his hand the graying governor, held in a sneeze, then gave a snorting laugh.

"I expect the King wishes me to lend my armies to aid in an assault upon that Qin toady in Suiyang?" He smiled at deducing such, but after a moment his eyes narrowed again with suspicion. He uttered words silently to himself, moving his lips a bit as if he were trying to verbally unravel a cryptic riddle set before him.

He looked up sharply, focusing his gaze on his guest. He forced a smile, but it quickly faded from his lips. "You will tell the court in Chu of me I suspect. Then go among my people and the nobility and you will know that I am widely respected. The house of Tang is not without its proud lineage and all in Dingtao recognize my right to rulership." he said these final words accusingly, as if the envoys presence here was a insulting question to such a right.
GMNPC's

Player Character
Gu Hama of Ba

Shen Feng
Colonel

Post by Shen Feng »

He'd gauged the man properly. So far so good. And now to continue, to make him confident in his own intelligence. Feng knew nothing about Suiyang, but just as he'd seized on the art to find common ground with this man, so to would he jump on this new bit of information.

"You are indeed perceptive, my Fǔyǐn. A strike upon Suiyang may be something the Hegemonic King might like to propose to you... but not now." With the man's clear suspicion, he would need to reassure him that his power is safe once more. "Nobody doubts your family's claim to Dingtao, my Fǔyǐn. When I return to Chu, I shall inform the court of your obvious strength and of the people's love and support for you. Indeed, your strength could very well combine with ours down the road." Again, before Tang Yo could protest, Feng raised a hand to ward him off. "While nothing is currently being planned in the way of military action in Liang, the lord of Suiyang is a concern to the Hegemonic King. If, with our support, your armies were able to crush him, think of the results of that. You would be well on your way to becoming... the Duke of Liang, perhaps?"

Feng grinned, spreading his arms wide to gesture at the riches of the room, implying that there could be so much more in the Fǔyǐn's future. "But, I mustn't get ahead of myself, my Fǔyǐn. We haven't even brought you your first gift yet, I really shouldn't be making grandoise statements. I shall need to depart shortly, to carry word of you and your stunning art collection to the Hegemonic King. But before I go, if I may indulge in a guilty pleasure. Do you have other fine pieces elsewhere in the building? I should like to see them, if you do, and if you do not mind showing me. Most other lords I am tasked to meet have such drab, boring chambers. This has been a refreshing visit compared to them."
Jin Shi
Colonel

Post by Jin Shi »

Outside the Chamber

Ma Su had smelled the weakness in the man before him the moment he had scurried out of the audience hall. That he was physically weak disgusted Su; that he was morally weak Su knew this was a man who could be used. Smiling lightly as they started walking away, he looked back briefly at Feng and winked at him. While Ma Su would have to talk to the governor had he decided he should go in, he could leave manipulating this man to his apprentice, who was much more of a wordsmith than himself.

"My little friend, what is your name? I apologize, to say again, I am Ma Su, and this here is my good friend Liao Jian." Liao Jian smiled and bowed a little bow. Jian spoke up "It's a great honor to meet an esteemed official such as yourself. Do you think we could talk in a place more fitting a discussion amongst leaders of state? You know," he whispered to the man "unless you want to share your potential rewards with this rabble." He lightly waved his hand, referring to the guards around them.

Su could only hope that Feng would be able to secure better relations and not make any grandiose promises to this little city as he explored the political situation within the Court of Dingtao.
Ma Su, 22 | Bio
77-98*-51-71*-41
Charge II, Dash II, Discipline, Intimidate, Qiangshu, Rupture III, Wall

V3:Huixi Zhe
Lurking Tyranny
The Florentine Admin
The Florentine Admin

Shen Feng wrote:He'd gauged the man properly. So far so good. And now to continue, to make him confident in his own intelligence. Feng knew nothing about Suiyang, but just as he'd seized on the art to find common ground with this man, so to would he jump on this new bit of information.

"You are indeed perceptive, my Fǔyǐn. A strike upon Suiyang may be something the Hegemonic King might like to propose to you... but not now." With the man's clear suspicion, he would need to reassure him that his power is safe once more. "Nobody doubts your family's claim to Dingtao, my Fǔyǐn. When I return to Chu, I shall inform the court of your obvious strength and of the people's love and support for you. Indeed, your strength could very well combine with ours down the road." Again, before Tang Yo could protest, Feng raised a hand to ward him off. "While nothing is currently being planned in the way of military action in Liang, the lord of Suiyang is a concern to the Hegemonic King. If, with our support, your armies were able to crush him, think of the results of that. You would be well on your way to becoming... the Duke of Liang, perhaps?"

Feng grinned, spreading his arms wide to gesture at the riches of the room, implying that there could be so much more in the Fǔyǐn's future. "But, I mustn't get ahead of myself, my Fǔyǐn. We haven't even brought you your first gift yet, I really shouldn't be making grandoise statements. I shall need to depart shortly, to carry word of you and your stunning art collection to the Hegemonic King. But before I go, if I may indulge in a guilty pleasure. Do you have other fine pieces elsewhere in the building? I should like to see them, if you do, and if you do not mind showing me. Most other lords I am tasked to meet have such drab, boring chambers. This has been a refreshing visit compared to them."
"Such a title could only be claimed with the King and the Emperor's blessings." Tang Yo said cautiously, as he considered the words being uttered by the man before him. The ruler of Dingtao considered each flattery with a grain of salt, suspicious that the man speaking to him was trying to get him to lower his defenses. Was Xiang Yu planning on deposing him? He shifted uncomfortably in his seat.

"I have many fine pieces, young ambassador, from fine horses to portraits, to vases and jewels. They are gifts of appreciation that come from such an illustrious position." He hesitated a moment and then got to his feet. He walked past Shen Feng, though not without making a wide detour, keeping his distance. He spoke whispered words to an attendant, something out belaying orders and their horses. Then turned back to Feng and smiled. "Follow me and I will show you one of my galleries. I have bronze and laquerware vessels there that may suit your cultural leanings." He walked up to the double doors and instructed them to be opened. The soldier who led Shen Feng inside opened both doors open wide, then the governor proceeded out and down the hall, flanked by his armed men. The two men with crossbows remained in the audience chamber, but they indicated rather pointedly that Shen Feng should follow their master.

Tang Yo went down the halls, pointing out a few more notable items. A silk tapestry with a phoenix motif, a suit of etched bronze armor, and a book bound by two silver sheets. He then opened the door to a gallery where a heft collection of various vases and vessels were displayed on small platforms. A few were bronze with intricate carvings, but most were more colorful laquerware in shades of blue, yellow, white, crimson, and even one or two that seemed to shine like emeralds.

Jin Shi wrote:Outside the Chamber

Ma Su had smelled the weakness in the man before him the moment he had scurried out of the audience hall. That he was physically weak disgusted Su; that he was morally weak Su knew this was a man who could be used. Smiling lightly as they started walking away, he looked back briefly at Feng and winked at him. While Ma Su would have to talk to the governor had he decided he should go in, he could leave manipulating this man to his apprentice, who was much more of a wordsmith than himself.

"My little friend, what is your name? I apologize, to say again, I am Ma Su, and this here is my good friend Liao Jian." Liao Jian smiled and bowed a little bow. Jian spoke up "It's a great honor to meet an esteemed official such as yourself. Do you think we could talk in a place more fitting a discussion amongst leaders of state? You know," he whispered to the man "unless you want to share your potential rewards with this rabble." He lightly waved his hand, referring to the guards around them.

Su could only hope that Feng would be able to secure better relations and not make any grandiose promises to this little city as he explored the political situation within the Court of Dingtao.
"Chan Zhong." The man said, a bit of annoyance crossing his face when the other man called him little. "Come, I will take you to one of my quarters where we can speak. The little man led the way to his quarters and it became clear that the other hallways were both equally well adorned and well guarded. Eventually he came to a comfortable room draped in yellow curtains. The floor was littered with white cushions and a small table sat in the center. The whistled sharply and two eleven or twelve year old servant girls appeared. "Wine and some pears." He then plopped down on one of the cushions and gestured that the two men could join him.

"Now, as to the making it worth my time part of our conversation.." he asked boldly.
GMNPC's

Player Character
Gu Hama of Ba