The Music Thread!

Moderator: Game Masters

Marzy
Officer

Post by Marzy »

Best Metallica album since the '80s imo.

I'm hoping I'm not the only Rush, Dream Theater, or Porcupine Tree fan around here. Those bands scream epic.
Charlemagne
Marquis
Location: Oh Ricky, you're so fine, you're so fine you blow my mind, Hey Ricky!

Post by Charlemagne »

Marzy wrote:I'm hoping I'm not the only Rush, Dream Theater, or Porcupine Tree fan around here. Those bands scream epic.
This post screams epic. Porcupine Tree? Dream Theatre?

Are you one of those kids who like to talk about the Doors or Nirvana or Led Zeppelin or The Grateful Dead, like you discovered them, and nobody ever talked about them before you bought that t-shirt at the thrift store?

And if this degenerates into a "Neil Peart is the greatest drummer ever" conversation, then I'm going to have to ban you from the entire interweb.
Marzy
Officer

Post by Marzy »

I certainly hope I am not like that. If so, I have led a terrible life and would be deserving of such a fate.

I didn't feel like reading through 40+ pages, so I figured I'd throw them out there. My apologies for my inherent laziness. If you'd like, we can discuss some other noteworthy band?
"Just because we do not know how something works does not mean it is the will of the Gods."
Shing Kong as of July 208 - 81-97*-33-50-65

Challenge I, Charge II, Faze I, Qiangshu II, Raid II 1/4, Rupture I, Smith I

86 Gold
Items: Horse (Spd +2), Billhook (Mgt +3), Armor (Mgt +3), Throwing Daggers (Ranged), Spear (Mgt +3) (Not equipped)

Follower: Gan Lü (59) - 82-53-32-79-62
Artisan I, Decoy I, Jianshu I, Maraud I, Military Administrator II
Black Hole
Officer

Post by Black Hole »

I don't know about those other bands, but I will stand beside any Rush fan any day.

But if you want to talk obscure bands, what's your opinion on the break-up of Yellow Swans, Charles? One of the few noisecore bands I could stand, I'm going to miss the shaking rooms and sonic gateways to hell being opened up in the local arts center.
Liang Zheng (34) 90.71.22.68.31 Aid II, Dash I, Gongshu II, Military Admin II, Sortie II, Wall II
Charlemagne
Marquis
Location: Oh Ricky, you're so fine, you're so fine you blow my mind, Hey Ricky!

Post by Charlemagne »

I'm not hating specifically, Marzy. Don't mind me.

As for the Yellow Swans, I can't say I'm surprised. I like their stuff, but the one time I saw them live, I thought it felt like more of a competition and not a collaboration. I think that's the problem with 2 member bands.

People like the White Stripes, who hold it together longer are an anomaly. Duos are outdated, and generally should have died in the early nineties. Any that come along will never be as successful as those who have gone before them, IE, Eurythmics, Pet Shop Boys, Wham, Air Supply, Thompson Twins, and to a lesser extent, people like the Nelson Twins (who have blood to keep them together).

Of course, many of those examples feature bands behind them.

Of course, if you really want to hear an elctric noise duo, I recommend Atilla's self titled album. Often lambasted as one of the worst albums of all time, the metal-jazz mixture in it will throw you for a loop.
Marzy
Officer

Post by Marzy »

Charlemagne wrote:I'm not hating specifically, Marzy. Don't mind me.
I get what you mean. People who are all like "CLASSIC RAWK RULES YEAH!" or some variation thereof are some of the most annoying fans ever. I can understand your position and should have done a better job portraying mine.

I'd further discussion, but I... actually do not listen to any of the names being thrown around. In fact, I haven't even heard of most of them. Hahaha. I still have much to try.
"Just because we do not know how something works does not mean it is the will of the Gods."

86 Gold
Items: Horse (Spd +2), Billhook (Mgt +3), Armor (Mgt +3), Throwing Daggers (Ranged), Spear (Mgt +3) (Not equipped)

Black Hole
Officer

Post by Black Hole »

I purposely mentioned Yellow Swans because they're obscure and I wanted to be a jerk. There's nothing wrong with not having heard them. Either Charles knows more than I thought, or he quickly googled Yellow Swans and made some stuff up. Either way, kudos to you.

Anyway, this is Yellow Swans: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1IySKh48 ... re=related
No, I do not expect anyone to like it, but its hard for that kind of performance to be enjoyed if you're not in the room feeling the ground shake and the windows rattle.
Just remember, if it doesn't hurt, then its not a real noise band.

Though, on duo bands. I know of a few that have been resounding successes. Lightning Bolt to name one. They're both astoundingly talented, and work well as a team, rather than compete for the spotlight. There's a few local acts like that as well. But yes, I'll agree that its hard to make it work. That goes for any band though.
Liang Zheng (34) 90.71.22.68.31 Aid II, Dash I, Gongshu II, Military Admin II, Sortie II, Wall II
Royalspork
Marshal

Post by Royalspork »

If you want White Stripes in non duo variety, you can get the Raconteurs. They have a much better drummer than the other Jack White group.

I just realized I haven't shared my views on bands yet. Not that anyone here cares but..

Good: Mars Volta, Modest Mouse, Spoon, The Shins, The Police, REM, Neutral Milk Hotel, Animal Collective, DJ Shadow, Built to Spill, Gorillaz, Blur, Death Cab for Cutie, Panda Bear, Pendulum, Radiohead, Raconteurs.
Marzy
Officer

Post by Marzy »

Spoon and REM are both fantastic. I'm not much for The Mars Volta, much to the dismay of some of my friends, but I do respect them (for what it's worth xD).

I'd been meaning to try Blur, but have been unsure where to start. Any suggestions?

86 Gold

Royalspork
Marshal

Post by Royalspork »

If you listen to bands by albums: Parklife, Blur, and Think tank
Those are usually considered their best ablums, but Parklife is their debut, Blur is their middle, and Think tank is their last album. So the three albums are starkly different.