Bai Zhan's Audience Hall

Applications Accepted!

Moderator: Game Masters

gravenimages
General
Location: Sanctify them through Thy truth: Thy word is truth. John. 17:17

Post by gravenimages »

Mustering all of his courtly graces, the barbarian guard captain responds with a grunt and a wave of his hand indicating that the man should enter.

The audience hall now resembles somewhat organized chaos. Tables have been brought in and are littered with reports. A quality map of the southwest region can be seen on one wall, with notes and estimates regarding military forces. Several scribes are seated at another table with the Ouhuan.

Seeing an unfamiliar face enter the hall, the young ruler rises from the table, a few reports still in hand. He still wears the gaudy Ouhuan mantle of the southern peoples, but looks quite comfortable in it.

Would you be Di Qu, sir? Or an ambassador, perhaps?

V1: Absentee
V2: Da Re, child Duke of Yin
V3: Ouhuan Bai Zhan
V4: Xiang Hin (the PC formerly known as Hin Wu) http://www.simwarlords.net/forum/viewto ... 69#p177169
Du Rong
Ensign

Post by Du Rong »

After a strange encounter with an unidentified little barbarian, Long decided to make his way down the Yangtze river, to Jiangling. He was astonished to see it bustling with so many barbarians, much like the one he encountered a fews days before. It was somewhat uneasy for long to see so many of the rough looking southerners, but still he had an offer to meet with someone named Bai Zhan. Long just hoped that whoever he was had some sort of authority over all these barbarians.

Making his way through the streets of Jiangling, and after getting a few directions, Long found himself in front of what looked like an administrative building. For what ever reason this single building was untouched by the southern horde that now occupied the area. Steeling himself, Long made his way to a set of barbarians that seemed to be mulling about at the entrance.

"I am Huang Ji Long, of Jiaodong province. I was approached by an eager little barba...I uh..um...mean southerner a few days ago. He invited me to speak with a man named Bai Zhan. Could you tell me if this building is where I may find him?"
gravenimages
General

Post by gravenimages »

A man a bit larger and more gaudily dressed seems to be in authority as the others defer to him. He looks Huang Ji Long up and down and nods. The visitor seems to fit the profile of others that the Ouhaun has invited to audience. Inwardly the barbarian wonders what use all these scrawny Chinese men are good for, but that's not his to question openly.

With a heavy accent, he grunts "this way" in broken Chinese and sweeps his arm towards the door.

(OOC: Assuming the man follows)

Bai Zhan's audience hall still reflects a mostly-chinese court flavor. The only nod to it's barbarian occupation is the rather gaudy Ouhuan mantle worn by Bai Zhan, and the presence of the shaman Bahn Tu, who had fast become Zhan's most trusted advisor.

The young ruler nods his thanks and a dismissal to the barbarian captain, then addresses the visitor. "It's not often that my messages reach men who are willing to meet with me. I am gratified that you have."

V4: Xiang Hin (the PC formerly known as Hin Wu) http://www.simwarlords.net/forum/viewto ... 69#p177169
Kuai Wei
Captain

Post by Kuai Wei »

A masked man slowly approached the audience hall of Bai Zhan, brushing off dust collected from his walk as he becomes within an arm's reach of the either of the guards. "Oh, I didn't see you there," the masked man lied, while drawing an imaginary smile with his index fingers onto the strange mask that concealed his identity. The mask, if one were to admire it's details, would notice a certain force behind it, something malevolent and powerful. After a moment of staring into the eyes of the guards with his own green eyes, the masked man finally spoke up, "I was approached by a messenger to seek the audience of your lord, Bai Zhan." The man said no more as he tugged on the sleeves of his black robe to indicate he carried no weapons, although he knew this wouldn't stop them from their search procedure.
Xiong Shou
68-98*-29-63-66 / Assemble II, Charge II, Instructor II, Jianshu II
gravenimages
General

Post by gravenimages »

The largest of the barbarian guards steps foward and considers the visitor with some trepidation. He seems relieved to see flesh-and-blood arms revealed underneath the man's robe. Shrugging away his superstitions, he carries on with his duty:

With a heavy accent, he grunts "this way" in broken Chinese and sweeps his arm towards the door to the audience hall.

Kuai Wei
Captain

Post by Kuai Wei »

The masked man eagerly entered the audience hall, turning his head to the guard who'd admitted him entrance as he walked inside. Coming within close enough range to the lord, the man spoke, "As I've explained to your guards, I was approached by one of your men and asked to meet with you. My name is Sun Zhao."

Zhao, who was not as physically imposing as the men that surrounded him, was imposing in the sense that he resembled a demon, as some would say. Still, despite being frightening to the highly superstitious society that surrounded him at every corner, Zhao naturally drew the attention of men and and was favored by women, young and old alike--Perhaps that is why he was invited here.
Xiong Shou
gravenimages
General

Post by gravenimages »

Ouhuan Bai Zhan was accustomed to dealing with physically imposing men, and the fact that they usually weren't too bright generally put him on equal footing. This man was a bit different, thought larger than the young ruler he wasn't but average overall. Still, he had something... presence, perhaps, or... portent? Something Zhan had not felt since his first meeting with Lao Wang Zhi.

Bai Zhan leans forward in his chair, adjusting the garish Ouhaun mantle. "Of course. Surely you have guessed that I am Ouhuan Bai Zhan. I find that it is harder for men to turn away from a request in person, than a lifeless missive. So far..." He looks the man up and down.

"The little I found out about you, Lord Sun, makes you a bit of an enigma. Though it seems we share the same aptitude for dealing with people, I understand that while my other skills run towards administration, yours are rumored to be of a more... discreet... nature."

Kuai Wei
Captain

Post by Kuai Wei »

As the words of the ruler came to an end, Zhao adjusted the daunting mask to partially reveal a diagonal scar extending across his right eyebrow and his eccentric set of jade eyes. With the lower region of his face covered, Zhao announced, "You need only to ask if my skills are what you desire." After a moment to allow his words--and his face--to seep into the minds of all those present in the audience hall, Sun Zhao positioned the mask back into place as he awaited the response of Bai Zhan.
Xiong Shou
gravenimages
General

Post by gravenimages »

The Ouhuan nods, speaking carefully as though he's having to concentrate on the words in the presence of this man. "I appreciate your directness. I and my people could benefit greatly from your skills, and I believe I can make it worth your while. Will you join us?"

Kuai Wei
Captain

Post by Kuai Wei »

"Interesting," mumbled Sun Zhao as he lowered himself onto his knees, as if preparing to meditate. Zhao once more reached for his mask, although this time he removed it completely and layed it beside him as he emptily stared into the floor. However, even unmasked the man's face was concealed, this time by shade blacking out his facial features. As seconds passed of no words from the man, the silence soon found itself lasting several minutes, minutes which Zhao believed to elevate tension within the room.

Finally, after the passing of judgement, Sun Zhao firmly declared aloud, "Yes... I will serve you, My Lord." And with that, he placed the mask back onto his face and rose to his feet, confident in his decision to serve the mortal man before him.
Xiong Shou