Fei Lak's Audience Hall - Shanggu

Applications Accepted!

Moderator: Game Masters

Cao Chao
Marquis
Location: That which is unknown and unseen always commands the greatest fear.

Post by Cao Chao »

Xian Jue made the journey north to Yan thankful that there was no wintry wind to chill him to the bone. There was a sense of the familiarity in this journey. Years before, Xian Jue had traveled north to Yan on the express invitation of another. As he remembered some of the events that had occurred and some of the people that he had met so many years ago, the swordsman sighed. While little had changed in those years, everything had changed. As he rode northwards, he patted the pommel of the sword strapped to the saddle reassuringly.

Before the city walls, the swordsman reined in his horse and spoke. "I am Xian Jue, I have here an invitation . . ."
Mardagg
GameBreaker

Post by Mardagg »

The Guard nod at the man approving his request:

"Lord Fei is within, we can take you to him if you will consent to our standard protocols. Simply hand over your weapons for safekeeping and allow us to make a quick search."

The guards wait for Xian Jue consent.
Liu Kang
Marquis

Post by Liu Kang »

Fang sat on the wall above chatting to one or two of the guards on duty. When the swordsman arrived Fang quickly moved his attention to him, a smile came about his face as he thought the outside world had begun to think of Yan as a place of evil doers. He quickly made his way down the stairs to a place near the gate where he could get a better view, awaiting the reply of the swordsmen, hoping all went well...
Kong Li 27-70-70-70-68

Aid I, Assassin II, Author I, Crafty II, Investor I, Perception I, Perfectionist I, Polymath II, Propaganda I, Sabotage I, Smith II, Strong I, Swift I, Versatile I.
Cao Chao
Marquis

Post by Cao Chao »

Mardagg wrote:The Guard nod at the man approving his request:

"Lord Fei is within, we can take you to him if you will consent to our standard protocols. Simply hand over your weapons for safekeeping and allow us to make a quick search."

The guards wait for Xian Jue consent.
"Years ago, the same request was made by the guards when I came on the express invitation of Prince Dan of Yan," replied the man simply, reminiscing upon an incident in his past, "Then as now, the answer is no. A swordsman does not surrender his weapon to anyone."

"If your master wishes to see me, I will be partaking in lunch," said the man, pointing at an inn across the street.
Phailak
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Phailak »

Lak made his way to the appointed place, different officers protesting that he should not leave the security of the building. Added to that exposure to the plague was enough to make some of them insane with worry.
The only one he accepted was Zhao Khan, he hoped his presence would be accepted by the fame swordsman, a guest in Shanggu.
He asked Khan to keep his distant and show respect. He approached the man and bowed.

"Master Xian, I am Duke Fei of Yan. I am honored you were able to find the time to visit our city and brave the turmoil the province has been through in recent weeks with the terrible disease that has affected so many. May I join you?"

Despite the terrible toil the war with Yin was having on the people of Yan and the recent struggles with the plague, the Duke seemed in good spirits as he requested a seat with the swordsman.
Cao Chao
Marquis

Post by Cao Chao »

Gesturing for the Duke to take a seat opposite, the swordsman gave a curt nod of greeting to Zhao Kahn. "I have been to Yan before during difficult times. The last time I was here was just after Prince Dan escaped home from years of captivity in Qin." A waiter soon brought a feast of ten dishes and a pot of tea.
Phailak
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Phailak »

Lak nodded solemnly, pleased at the layout of food, he could not have done so well himself on such short notice, Xian Jue seemed to have him at a disadvantage in knowing he would come to meet him.

"The people of Yan are strong, it is why the Heavens choose to test us more than any other. We are in a great war with Yin and despite delivering two successive victories, their endless resources seem to put them at an advantage over us. We were able to use their over confidence in their numbers to our advantage in the first battle and crush them with minimal loss. In the second battle, we were very close to capturing their King and routed them easily once again. It will become more difficult to win now that they fear our strength and respect our abilities. In the next conflict, it is our belief that where surprise won the first battle and morale the second, the third will be won by the officers themselves."

The Duke paused but a moment to gather his thoughts.

"It is our strong belief that each officer we send to battle has a specific role and purpose. We learn with each battle and in our last one, we identified what we lacked the most. Though we have several officers capable of instilling fear into Yin and have managed to do so, we have yet to find a General capable of terrifying them. Haunt them as they retreat back home, give them doubt when they would fight."

Lak licked his lips.

"I was told there were two things I needed to accomplish that. The first was to find and acquire the famed Halberd of E Lai. Its reputation and power would strike fear all its own into our enemies. The second, is a man that has a matching reputation to the artifact, a wielder that can strike terror in their hearts from across the field. Of all the reports of all the men of talents I have seen, you are the only one to match that description."

After his lengthy monologue, the Duke waited to see if any of this had any impression on his host.
Cao Chao
Marquis

Post by Cao Chao »

Nodding in thanks at the waiter for bringing the food, he poured out three cups of tea for himself, the Duke, and for the Duke's bodyguard. The swordsman regarded the features of the Duke of Yan closely as the man spoke while his finger tapped lightly and inaudibly. He listened, nodding his head in agreement at the trials that Yan had been forced to undergo. But when the Duke spoke of E Lai, the swordsman could only shake his head, trying to stifle an urge to laugh at the Duke's words.

"My Lord Duke, I am a swordsman not a halberdier," replied Xian Jue simply, "I have spent my entire life honing my skills with the blade and I have neglected the other armed martial arts. If you gave me the Halberd of that giant of Shang, E Lai, I would highly doubt that I would be able to use it proficiently."
Phailak
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Phailak »

Lak nodded in agreement.

"I understand, I do not wish for you to actually fight with the weapon but rather use it as a beacon of terror for our opponents. When you lead the men in battle, use it to give courage to our men while our enemies shrink away. Once you enter battle, you would use whatever means you deem appropriate of course."

Lak shook his head, fearing perhaps his intentions were being misrepresented.

"That being said, should you refuse to bear the Halberd in battle or accept such a responsibility does not affect in any way the respect I have for your abilities. It was simply a vision I had. The fact remains I need your help, but the impression I have of you is that you will not just serve any man with pretty words and promises. Though you came to visit me, I find myself your guest here, likewise though I am a Duke and Lord of Yan, I am the one that should prove my worth."
Mikal
Marquis

Post by Mikal »

Apologizes for the delay

Khan remains silent for now, letting his Duke speak. After the issue with the so-called prophet or sage, Khan had been... careful with his words, realizing his tongue could cause more trouble then his sword can fix.

However, he speaks up, his voice quiet, filled with emotion..

"I know what you mean, sir. I too, was raised in the way of the blade, taught by my father, as well as the skill given to me in forging my own blade." he raises it slightly, the masterwork craftsmanship obvious.

"However, the Halberd milord Duke speaks of... is a famous weapon. You would be well served by it, even if you never used it in battle personally. Wielding it... could cause the greatest of enemies to cower before it."

He looks somewhat sheepish.

"If I could be worthy of the blade, I would duel you for the honor to wield it... but my skill is not yet worthy of such a weapon."
The Wiseman Cometh...
Zhefu, 37, Male
52-39-62-91-64
Civil Administrator III, Military Administrator II, Diplomat II, Politician II