The Music Thread!

Moderator: Game Masters

damon
Officer

Post by damon »

Naurek wrote:I like old school rap, like...Run DMC. :)

Mostly, I like lots and lots of music. The Pixies, Black Flag, Crass, Descendents, Misfits, Dils, Juliana Hatfield, Liz Phair, Madness, Specials, Vandals, Voodoo Glow Skulls, John Mayer, Rage Against the Machine, Sundays, Morrissey, Smiths, Beatles, etc. etc. I have a removable harddrive with about....15K songs on it, and growing.
It definately doesn't get any better than Crass. I love the songs that Eve Liberty does, especially Where Next Columbus and Shaved Women. But all of her songs are amazing. If you like them, Rudimentary Peni was on their record label. The singer/guitarist was in the mental hospital and wrote this ENTIRE album while he was in there about him being some fantasy pope named Pope Adrian the 37th. All of the songs are amazing, there are a few with guitars that put you into a trance with him making weird noises and then ending in some weird prayer in Latin that turns into the singer barking.

Modest Mouse is definately amazing but their newest album was an over produced piece of crap directed to put on the raido, unfortunately. I feel artists should just say how they feel rather than try to fit the standard of an audience.

I have been listening to a synth/acoustic band called Xiu Xiu lately, they have a lot of influences from Joy Division. Unfortunately, they're quite depressing as a lot of their songs are about real experiences from the singer, i.e. his father threatening for years on end to kill himself and then doing it, his brother caught molesting young children, and the stereotype applied to the male and female gender and how he was picked on his whole life. He also wrote an amazing song when his niece was born and about how she'll be just as messed up as the rest of his family when she grows up.

If anyone likes completely satirical music with extremely talented artists, I would suggest the Dead Milkmen. They're hilarious, they have a song about people capitalizing on the blues and a blues' artists stabbing out his own eyes so that he could be more 'blues' and sell more records.
Kong Tanmeng (235) 95-72-41-69-23
Aid I, Discipline II, Instructor II, Military Administrator II, Qiangshu II, Wall II
Naurek
Sergeant

Post by Naurek »

Bitchin' Camero baby! I love the Dead Milkmen. I haven't listened to them in a long time. I should get that CD out. I've heard of Rudimentary Peni but never heard their music. I will check them out. I am always looking for good bands. Especially older bands. A lot of the "punk" today is sorta....soda poppy for me.. ;)
Huangfu Yuan (46) 71-27-85-90-45 Civil Administrator II, Confuse I, Doctor I, Lure I, Military Administrator II, Public Planner I
Lord of Dicheng
Aleksandr
Major

Post by Aleksandr »

I'll just list the CDs I like, because it's much easier than having to make my mind up on Bands. :D

1. Carpathian Forest - Defending the Throne of Evil
2. Therion - Crowning of Atlantis
3. Lamb of God - As the Palaces Burn
4. Opeth - Ghost Reveries
5. Emperor - Anthems to the Welkin at Dusk
6. Rammstein - Mutter
7. Mercyful Fate - Melissa
8. Pink Floyd- Animals
9. Pantera - Cowboys from Hell
10. Emperor - In the Nightside Eclipse
11. Opeth - My Arms, Your Hearst
12. Led Zeppelin - Led Zeppelin IV
13. Van Halen - 1984
14. Burzum - Burzum
15. Rammstein- Sehnsucht
16. King Diamond - Fatal Portrait
17. Led Zeppelin - Physical Graffiti
18. Pink Floyd - The Wall
19. Hallucinogen - The Lone Deranger
20. Dream Theater - Train of Thought

That's just for this week. I tend to change around what CDs I really like to listen to frequently, but i've got enough of 'em that it dosen't really matter.
Di Wan (23, Male), the Marquis of Di
80-34*-82-91*-45*
Skills: Artisan II, Cover II, Decoy II, Entrench II, Gongshu, Volley II
Gold: 486
damon
Officer

Post by damon »

Naurek wrote:Bitchin' Camero baby! I love the Dead Milkmen. I haven't listened to them in a long time. I should get that CD out. I've heard of Rudimentary Peni but never heard their music. I will check them out. I am always looking for good bands. Especially older bands. A lot of the "punk" today is sorta....soda poppy for me.. ;)
The Dead Milkmen are from our area, their guitarist (Joe) plays keyboard in this band called the Low Budgets, they're awesome, and my band actually played local shows with FOD (Flag of Democracy) It turns out they're from the same crappy little suburban town outside of Philadelphia we are all from and we see them all the time. They're great guys. I know what you mean though, Rudimentary Peni has some really good early songs but then they turned into metal on their older records so don't judge the first stuff you hear by them.

I can just rattle off a ton of bands...Flux of Pink Indians are a lot like Crass and they were on Crass' label too. If you like Rudimentary, you will definately like them. You'd probably like Reagan Youth, there isn't too much I can say about them except that they're also one of my favorite bands and the guitar is amazing and their songs are really creative.

I get really sick of street punk too, it's like they all regurgitate each other's lyrics and music. People need to do something original. Some stuff by the Unseen and A Global Threat is okay but I get really sick of stuff like the Casualties, Clit 45, Chaotic Alliance, Monster Squad, etc. And seeing the people in person (I saw ALL of those bands before) made me like them less, they dress in really expensive clothing and act better than everyone else. Action isn't a bad band though, but they were better live than their recorded stuff.

The only new punk stuff I get into is this genre called folk punk. It's pretty amazing, violins and acoustic stand up basses, etc. Some folkpunk bands are Defiance Ohio (THEY ARE AMAZING) This Bike is a Pipe Bomb (Someone had their sticker on their bike and the bomb squad was called and they destroyed his bike trying to determine if it was a bomb while he was in a store) Bread and Roses, you might like 1905, Ghost Mice, Saw Wheel....Those are my favorites in that order.

Against Me! WAS a completely amazing band but I didn't really like their last two albums. They went from socio-political to radio music :(
Aid I, Discipline II, Instructor II, Military Administrator II, Qiangshu II, Wall II
Naurek
Sergeant

Post by Naurek »

Reagan Youth...hehe..I have their early stuff. Yeah, they're a good band. I got into searching for the old punk music about 12 years ago and amassed quite a collection. Mostly I find a lot from the LA area, since that is in the vicinety to me, and therefore pretty easy to get ahold of. Bad Religion is a good band that is still around. Yeah, some people think they are sellouts since some of their music has been played on "major radio" stations. But they are very politically driven, and their songs are intelligent. At least the albums I have from them. :)
Huangfu Yuan (46) 71-27-85-90-45 Civil Administrator II, Confuse I, Doctor I, Lure I, Military Administrator II, Public Planner I
Lord of Dicheng
damon
Officer

Post by damon »

Yeah, I have 80-85 by Bad Religion and it's amazing. I heard their newer stuff and I don't think they sold old, their lyrics are still the same as they use to be, they just changed their music style which is completely understandable. Who wants to do the same thing over and over?
Charlemagne
Marquis
Location: Oh Ricky, you're so fine, you're so fine you blow my mind, Hey Ricky!

Post by Charlemagne »

Aleksandr wrote:I'll just list the CDs I like, because it's much easier than having to make my mind up on Bands. :D

6. Rammstein - Mutter
8. Pink Floyd- Animals
13. Van Halen - 1984
14. Burzum - Burzum
15. Rammstein- Sehnsucht

That's just for this week. I tend to change around what CDs I really like to listen to frequently, but i've got enough of 'em that it dosen't really matter.
How do you have 2 Opeth albums and no Type-O Negative?
VoShay
Marquis

Post by VoShay »

Anything with Danny Elfman. :)
Guan Yin She

Excerpts about Fine American Products- Twinkies: There is something about eating a Twinkie that just lets the world know you're not too keen on self-respect. Maybe it's because under "expiration date" Hostess just prints "LOL."
Pyro
Captain

Post by Pyro »

Copy and paste job from New Era >.>

Rock (Includes all Sub-genres of Rock)
Foo Fighters, Dir en Grey, Japan X, Muse, Sum 41, Red Hot Chilli Peppers
Therepy?, Nirvana, Velvet Revolver, Soundgarden, Rage Against the Machine, Audioslave, AC/DC, Led Zeppelin, Queen, Pink Floyd, Coheed and Cambria, Evanescence, Head Automatica, The Kinison, Tenacious D, Nightwish, Nine Inch Nails, Static-X, Disturbed, Nevermore, Laguna Coil, Epica

Pop-Punk (Since real punk died with the Sex pistols)
NOFX, Blink 182, Bad Religion, Yellowcard, The Offspring. Mad Capsule Markets, Pre-Insomniac Green Day, Grown at Home

Harcore (Real hardcore. Not that Alexisonfire or Avenged Sevenfold or whatever the hell the emo kids are trying to call hardcore now)
Black Flag, Rise Against, Anti-Flag, The Haunted

Metal (Includes all Sub-genres of Metal)
Motorhead, Iron Maiden, Judas Preist, System of a Down, Trivium, Black Sabbath, Dragonforce, Mastodon, Metallica, Hatebreed, Devil Driver, Slipknot, Slayer, Ozzy Osbourne, Three Inches of Blood, Killswitch Engage, Megadeth, Merciful Fate, Machine Head, Sepultura, Shadows Fall, God Forbid
Zhao Ji (15)
Stats: 33-92*-36-74-77
Skills: Challenge I, Cover I, Doctor, Faze I Intimidate II, Maraud I, Raid I, Yueshu II
Gold: 125
--
"When I started here, all there was was swamp. Other kings said I was daft to build a castle on a swamp, but I built it all the same, just to show 'em. It sank into the swamp. So, I built a second one. That sank into the swamp. So, I built a third one. That burned down, fell over, then sank into the swamp, but the fourth one... stayed up!"
Aleksandr
Major

Post by Aleksandr »

Charlemagne wrote:
Aleksandr wrote:I'll just list the CDs I like, because it's much easier than having to make my mind up on Bands. :D

6. Rammstein - Mutter
8. Pink Floyd- Animals
13. Van Halen - 1984
14. Burzum - Burzum
15. Rammstein- Sehnsucht

How do you have 2 Opeth albums and no Type-O Negative?
Haven't listened to much of them lately. No real reason why.
Di Wan (23, Male), the Marquis of Di
80-34*-82-91*-45*
Skills: Artisan II, Cover II, Decoy II, Entrench II, Gongshu, Volley II
Gold: 486