The Music Thread!

Moderator: Game Masters

fire_i
Major

Post by fire_i »

Progressive Rock is underrated. Tons of Progressive Rock songs have great lyrics, and most sound good - though, sadly, there are often good and bad parts in the same song, them being so changing and uneven...

But that's not a bad thing! Originality and meaning 4tw.

Van Der Graaf Generator 4tw. :)
Kong Huang,
Completely dead!
And a character from the PREVIOUS version, too! Kicks ass.
Maggot
Officer
Location: Hate aint enough to describe me, somewhere between screaming and crying, Im not supposed to be here

Post by Maggot »

Istanbul wrote:I doubt any member of Slipknot knows any bit of jazz theory and if they looked at jazz theory, they'd have no idea what it means. :)
No duh, the same goes for any Jazz band.

Anesthesia wrote:I tried listening to some of their songs, and they don't seem terribly challenging. If by complex, you mean 'lookie, they play their notes fast', yeah, they do. But I can't find much evidence of their differing from the norm as far as metal goes. Maybe it's because I'm not a metal listener, but if you gave me a bunch of metal songs with a couple by Slipknot in there, I'd be lucky to identify them.

And about jazz, I still get the feeling we're talking about different things, because the thing I'm thinking of has a fairly large amount of subgenres, not even including the different kinds of fusion, and the moods of pieces at least change every so often. To say that a genre with about four instruments and one set mood (pissed off) trumps that is strange to me. Do you have any sheet music of Slipknot as an example?

There are, in fact, a few artists that stand out in the jazz genre, they just obviously aren't as exposed to popular culture as things like pop and rock. But why would it matter if certain artists were more popular than others?
I have some sheet music somewhere I might be able to dig up. Thats the thing though, if you dont like said Genre, your not going to "really" be able to tell the difference between one from the other. Paul brings up a good point, double bass is extremely difficult to play. Having two guitarists while it may sound easy is also difficult because of the timing and speed at wich you play. The vocals that Corey nail are perfect, beautiful in a savage way. He can also sing quite well, having one of the most beautiful male voices on the planet in my opinion. In a few of their songs, their bassist plays Slap Bass, wich if you know what that is, it is also, extremely difficult to play. Slipknot did what no other metal band had really done before them, they put some real fing effort into it. Now I know I'm generalising on metal and I dont mean to offend anyone((Paul :P )) but the fact is that metal had become a stagnant beast until they came along. They breathed new life into the genre. They are an incredible band, regardless of taste, preferrence or style.

Slipknot Equipment:

Guitar x2
Bass
Drums
Turntables
War Drums
Ma Zhao
Gold: 100
Command: 86
Might: 98
Intellect: 36
Judgement: 33
Charm: 65
Skills: Horsemanship, Wedge, EnrageX2, Qiangshu, Raid, Instructor
Items: Spear (Melee, Mgt+6),Book of Manuevers (Com+2)
Force: 400 soldiers with drill of 50 equipped with Pi Spears and Leather Armor.
Pyro
Captain

Post by Pyro »

Heh metal has been stagnant for a while. That is why I love my old school stuff so much. Iron Maiden, Motorhead, Metallica, Machine Head, Pantera, Judas Preist, Van Halen Napalm Death etc where have the bands like that gone?

Experimental bands like System of a Down and Slipknot have brought a breath of life into the genre even if it was Nu-metal (ewww) that got them noticed.

Shame it's regressing again. Took many emo bands are trying to sound like metallica *cough*Avenged Sevenfold*cough* or like Trivium *cough*Atreyu*cough* and it's just bastardising the entire genre and causing its stagnation.

That is why I tend to go for old school bands or listen to more power metal and prog metal. I love power metal, I love anything Tolkien-esque so that genre appeals to me a lot ^_^;;

Prog metal appeals to me because I'm quite bored with the deluge of second-rate "metalcore" bands springing up all over the place. And for people who don't know what metalcore is, take some emo band who refuse to eat animals even though animals died to make thier leather spike wristbands and have then repeat the same metallica riff over and over while adding in a breakdown every two seconds. Listen to something like Atreyu or Avenged Sevenfold and you'll get the idea.
Zhao Ji (15)
Stats: 33-92*-36-74-77
Skills: Challenge I, Cover I, Doctor, Faze I Intimidate II, Maraud I, Raid I, Yueshu II
Gold: 125
--
"When I started here, all there was was swamp. Other kings said I was daft to build a castle on a swamp, but I built it all the same, just to show 'em. It sank into the swamp. So, I built a second one. That sank into the swamp. So, I built a third one. That burned down, fell over, then sank into the swamp, but the fourth one... stayed up!"
Maggot
Officer
Location: Hate aint enough to describe me, somewhere between screaming and crying, Im not supposed to be here

Post by Maggot »

Couldnt agree more Paul. But my god, have you heard Systems New Stuff man? Its not nearly as good as Toxicity or Self Titled. Its like they just stopped trying. Sad really, they used to be one of my favorite bands man. It hurts me to see em fall so low heh.

Now, I must congradulate you all on something. Not a single fing one fo you has said they are weird because of the masks.......thats bad ass man. You guys rule. Most people look at them and make every judgement right then and there.
Ma Zhao
Pyro
Captain

Post by Pyro »

The masks? I take you you have never heard of Lordi then? Trust me Slipknot look normal after you have seen thier costumes =p

And your comments on System's newest albums is exactly why the genre is stagnating. Instead of letting bands progress to a more unique sound people just want them to stay the same.. Seriously if System stayed the same as they sounded in their first two albums then they wouldn't be anywhere near as sucessful as they were today. :wink:
Zhao Ji (15)
Skills: Challenge I, Cover I, Doctor, Faze I Intimidate II, Maraud I, Raid I, Yueshu II
--
"When I started here, all there was was swamp. Other kings said I was daft to build a castle on a swamp, but I built it all the same, just to show 'em. It sank into the swamp. So, I built a second one. That sank into the swamp. So, I built a third one. That burned down, fell over, then sank into the swamp, but the fourth one... stayed up!"
Maggot
Officer

Post by Maggot »

Exactly my point. They did what was popular. They changed their sound to appeal to the general masses. Normally I wouldnt have a problem with taht, but after them stating many times how they werent pawns of anybody and were gonna be exactly who they wanted to be, they suddenly get light and almost pop rockish. Thats hypocracy, thats why they suck now. System let me down. Heh.....system.....down.......hehe
Ma Zhao
Pyro
Captain

Post by Pyro »

All System did to sound "poppier" was to play in DropD tuning instead of C# like on thier other albums. Is that realy trying to sound light and poppy or is them trying to get a different sound out of thier guitars? =p

And listen to Steal this Ablum. Well actually listen to Toxicity, Steal this... and then Mesmerise/Hypnotise. The sound of Steal This... gradually goes towards the sound froun on Mesmerise/Hypnotise indicating that what they are doing is progression and not appealing to the general masses. Besides there were plenty pop-rock songs on the first three albums. Spiders, Mind, Forest, Aerials, Highway Song, Mr Jack. How many were on Mesmerise/Hypnotise? a grand total of 4. Oh look. Each other System album had exactly 2 pop-rock songs on them!
Zhao Ji (15)
--
Mogwai
General

Post by Mogwai »

Maggot wrote:
Istanbul wrote:I doubt any member of Slipknot knows any bit of jazz theory and if they looked at jazz theory, they'd have no idea what it means. :)
Sorry if I sound foolish...but is there Slipknot theory of some sort? :P

Jazz musicians are highly trained in the art of music, Slipknot in the art of entertainment.
Galagros
Administrator Emeritus

Post by Galagros »

Istanbul wrote:
Maggot wrote:
Sorry if I sound foolish...but is there Slipknot theory of some sort? :P

Jazz musicians are highly trained in the art of music, Slipknot in the art of entertainment.
I agree, jazz muscicians really have to know their stuff about music in general.
Chen Yu
Officer Info
Tian Dan, King of Qi
Officer Info
Zhong Ce
Officer Info
Pyro
Captain

Post by Pyro »

Jazz itself is rather simple.

Improv in the other hand isn't and you seriosuly need a great musical knowledge to perform it.

I myself play mainly metal and hard rock but studying blues and some jazz theory has helped me a lot with improvising and I have been able to pull some pretty cool solos out of my head from studying it. Shame I don't write things I think of down >.>
Zhao Ji (15)
--