The Music Thread!

Moderator: Game Masters

Mogwai
General

Post by Mogwai »

damon wrote:Well I listen to current folk, not too much older folk. Johnny Hobo & the Freight Trains, Defiance Ohio, Bread and Roses, 1905, Mischief Brew, Evan Greer, This Bike Is A Pipebomb, stuff like that. It's pretty underground, people have lost their taste for folk I guess
I don't know if you would count Ween or The Magic Numbers as folk, but I think they each have folk elements. I listen to both of those.
damon
Officer

Post by damon »

folk is folk, that's is just the folk I listen to :D
Kong Tanmeng (235) 95-72-41-69-23
Aid I, Discipline II, Instructor II, Military Administrator II, Qiangshu II, Wall II
Maggot
Officer
Location: Hate aint enough to describe me, somewhere between screaming and crying, Im not supposed to be here

Post by Maggot »

TheComeback wrote:
Maggot wrote: Well, Jazz is more of just the same music over and over. I enjoy Jazz quite a bit but, I cant deny that there is really a lack of anything that stands out in that genre. They music, its just too bad that its always the same.
No offense, man, but all those bands like Slipknot and Disturbed all sound the same. Especially compared to Jazz. It has so many ranges within it and are never the same as each other. Why? Because Jazz uses improv and it's own style of chords and progressions. You can also use much more instument combos with it, rather than just the drop B guitar and double bass. Jazz can range from many different emotions and styles, while metal really can only stay at one. Jazz in NOT all the same.
Now see, thats not true. Take a music sheet of Slipknots songs compared to disturbed. The change music Slipknot plays is very complex and takes alot of talent. That you cant deny. You can say you dont like the lyrics, but its ignorant to look at their music on paper and go "Oh man, thats easy music." . Jazz to me, doesnt have much variance in its mucisc and doesnt really have any bands that stand out amongst the crowds.
Ma Zhao
Gold: 100
Command: 86
Might: 98
Intellect: 36
Judgement: 33
Charm: 65
Skills: Horsemanship, Wedge, EnrageX2, Qiangshu, Raid, Instructor
Items: Spear (Melee, Mgt+6),Book of Manuevers (Com+2)
Force: 400 soldiers with drill of 50 equipped with Pi Spears and Leather Armor.
Mogwai
General

Post by Mogwai »

I doubt any member of Slipknot knows any bit of jazz theory and if they looked at jazz theory, they'd have no idea what it means. :)
Anesthesia
New Recruit

Post by Anesthesia »

Maggot wrote:
TheComeback wrote:
Maggot wrote: Well, Jazz is more of just the same music over and over. I enjoy Jazz quite a bit but, I cant deny that there is really a lack of anything that stands out in that genre. They music, its just too bad that its always the same.
No offense, man, but all those bands like Slipknot and Disturbed all sound the same. Especially compared to Jazz. It has so many ranges within it and are never the same as each other. Why? Because Jazz uses improv and it's own style of chords and progressions. You can also use much more instument combos with it, rather than just the drop B guitar and double bass. Jazz can range from many different emotions and styles, while metal really can only stay at one. Jazz in NOT all the same.
Now see, thats not true. Take a music sheet of Slipknots songs compared to disturbed. The change music Slipknot plays is very complex and takes alot of talent. That you cant deny. You can say you dont like the lyrics, but its ignorant to look at their music on paper and go "Oh man, thats easy music." . Jazz to me, doesnt have much variance in its mucisc and doesnt really have any bands that stand out amongst the crowds.
I tried listening to some of their songs, and they don't seem terribly challenging. If by complex, you mean 'lookie, they play their notes fast', yeah, they do. But I can't find much evidence of their differing from the norm as far as metal goes. Maybe it's because I'm not a metal listener, but if you gave me a bunch of metal songs with a couple by Slipknot in there, I'd be lucky to identify them.

And about jazz, I still get the feeling we're talking about different things, because the thing I'm thinking of has a fairly large amount of subgenres, not even including the different kinds of fusion, and the moods of pieces at least change every so often. To say that a genre with about four instruments and one set mood (pissed off) trumps that is strange to me. Do you have any sheet music of Slipknot as an example?

There are, in fact, a few artists that stand out in the jazz genre, they just obviously aren't as exposed to popular culture as things like pop and rock. But why would it matter if certain artists were more popular than others?
Angliu Zhong, 33
56-81*-84-70-63
Artisan II, Doctor III, Horsemanship I, Yueshu II
Pyro
Captain

Post by Pyro »

TheComeback wrote:
Obviously this guy has never heard of Dream Threatre, Opeth, The Ocean or Dragonforce :roll:

And do you know how rediculously hard it is to play double bass? If you time double bass wrong then you just end up stamping on both pedals at the same time and making one thud instead of a very fast series of beats. Trust me I've done it and made an idiot out of myself in the process.
Zhao Ji (15)
Stats: 33-92*-36-74-77
Skills: Challenge I, Cover I, Doctor, Faze I Intimidate II, Maraud I, Raid I, Yueshu II
Gold: 125
--
"When I started here, all there was was swamp. Other kings said I was daft to build a castle on a swamp, but I built it all the same, just to show 'em. It sank into the swamp. So, I built a second one. That sank into the swamp. So, I built a third one. That burned down, fell over, then sank into the swamp, but the fourth one... stayed up!"
nstroud
General

Post by nstroud »

I really like dragonforce.
Prefect Huang Fu
damon
Officer

Post by damon »

c'mon, everyone knows the best metal band is Manowar. Check out these lyrics.

In The Beginning There Was Silence And Darkness
All Across The Earth
Then Came The Wind And A Hole In The Sky
Thunder And Lightning Came Crashing Down
Hit The Earth And Split The Ground
Fire Burned High In The Sky

From Down Below Fire Melted The Stone
The Ground Shook And Started To Pound

The Gods Made Heavy Metal And They Saw That It Was Good
They Said To Play It Louder Than Hell
We Promised That We Would
When Losers Say It's Over With You Know That It's A Lie
The Gods Made Heavy Metal And It's Never Gonna Die

We Are The True Believers
It's Our Turn To Show The World
In The Fire Of Heavy Metal We Were Burned
It's More Than Our Religion It's The Only Way To Live
But The Enemies Of Metal We Can't Forgive

Cause We Believe In The Power And The Might
And The Gods Who Made Metal Are With Us Tonight

We Believe In The Power And The Might

We're Here Tonight For Heavy Metal Are You Ready In The Hall
They Have Chosen Us And We Have Heard The Call
Gonna Tear The Roof Off With Out Sound

Crack The Walls And Shake The Ground
Fight Tonight For Metal One And All
Cause We Believe In The Power And The Might

Aid I, Discipline II, Instructor II, Military Administrator II, Qiangshu II, Wall II
Pyro
Captain

Post by Pyro »

Yeah they are pretty awesome. You should listen to some 3 Inches of Blood if you like your power metal. Some lyrics by them. The stuff in brackets is screamed behind the main vocals in a Rod Halford-esque fashion:

Behold a speeding ship!
A ship upon the waves!
Racing swift as death!

Torment! From the pits of hell,
In seas where pirates dwell.
The armada sets it's course
Shadowed by Skull and Crossboned force
The crow's nest spots the flag
The captain's plan has hit a snag
With your lives, defend the gold
In a fire fight yet to unfold
Opposing ships steered side-by-side
Fear of the bridge is realised
Cannons blaze in wood they blast
The Spanish ship is sinking fast

Raiders board the ship (Plunder all thier gold)
As they're lunging for the kill (Thier riched will be ours)
Take no prisoners (Leave no man alive)
For the ransacking awaits (The decks awash with blood)
Fight to the death (There is no other way
Honour will say (Kill!)
That captain's duel on the plank

When all are dead and all is won
There's riches here to steal
Bodies scattered by the waves
For sharks do make thier meal in flesh
FLESH (FLESH)
Rain begins to fall (Rain begins to fall)

Thier gold becomes our wealth
As they sink into the sea
No mercy for the rich
We wash thier blood
From our bounty gold
We feast tonight

We're heading due west
For the secret island port
The plunder devides
But give a piece to the sea

When madness of the fever grips and greed is taking hold
Nothing can cure your thirst except for rum and gold
Nothing can quench this thirst except for rum and gold (Except for rum and gold!)

Come on! It's a song about pirates! What is not awesome about that? =p
Zhao Ji (15)
Stats: 33-92*-36-74-77
Skills: Challenge I, Cover I, Doctor, Faze I Intimidate II, Maraud I, Raid I, Yueshu II
Gold: 125
--
"When I started here, all there was was swamp. Other kings said I was daft to build a castle on a swamp, but I built it all the same, just to show 'em. It sank into the swamp. So, I built a second one. That sank into the swamp. So, I built a third one. That burned down, fell over, then sank into the swamp, but the fourth one... stayed up!"
damon
Officer

Post by damon »

actually, I was making fun of Manowar :P