The Music Thread!

Moderator: Game Masters

damon
Officer

Post by damon »

any genre can have talented musicians :D Recently, I find myself always listening to Modest Mouse (not their newest album) Xiu Xiu and Joy Division.
Kong Tanmeng (235) 95-72-41-69-23
Aid I, Discipline II, Instructor II, Military Administrator II, Qiangshu II, Wall II
Maggot
Officer
Location: Hate aint enough to describe me, somewhere between screaming and crying, Im not supposed to be here

Post by Maggot »

Anesthesia wrote:
Maggot wrote:Jazz is pretty cool on a general level, not much there in the way of talent, but oh well.
?!

Not sure what you're listening to to get that notion, but I personally find most jazz musicians to be much more musically knowledgable and talented than rock / metal musicians. Then again, jazz is an extremely broad term and there's a ridiculous about of classifications within that, so we could be thinking of two different types of music.

Not trying to start a bickerfest, just wondering who you listened to that gave you that idea.
Well, Jazz is more of just the same music over and over. I enjoy Jazz quite a bit but, I cant deny that there is really a lack of anything that stands out in that genre. They music, its just too bad that its always the same.
Ma Zhao
Gold: 100
Command: 86
Might: 98
Intellect: 36
Judgement: 33
Charm: 65
Skills: Horsemanship, Wedge, EnrageX2, Qiangshu, Raid, Instructor
Items: Spear (Melee, Mgt+6),Book of Manuevers (Com+2)
Force: 400 soldiers with drill of 50 equipped with Pi Spears and Leather Armor.
Xiang Zhuang
Marquis

Post by Xiang Zhuang »

Jazz sounds similar to people who don't listen to it a lot. Same can be said for almost any genre of music, but it happens a little more with the mostly-instrumental ones.
Fáng Ai (防哀) hao Aishī (皚獅, White Lion), Duke of Yan (Yan Gong)
101*.87*.44.78.39
Dash I, Gongshu II, Jianshu II, Smith II, Trainer II, Wall II

Sim Turn Length Analysis - Last Updated 4.06
Galagros
Administrator Emeritus

Post by Galagros »

Ooh, Pat Metheny. :)
Chen Yu
Officer Info
Tian Dan, King of Qi
Officer Info
Zhong Ce
Officer Info
Mogwai
General

Post by Mogwai »

Xiang Zhuang wrote:Jazz sounds similar to people who don't listen to it a lot. Same can be said for almost any genre of music, but it happens a little more with the mostly-instrumental ones.
This is incredibly true. Every metal song sounds the same to me, because I don't listen to metal.
ann
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ann »

Galagros wrote:Ooh, Pat Metheny. :)
Actually I like Pat Metheny sometimes - but I have to say that there is a world of difference between Pat Metheny and Miles Davis. Or between Weather Report and Monty Alexander. Or between Ornette Coleman and ... you get the point!
damon
Officer

Post by damon »

Does anyone else listen to any folk?
Aid I, Discipline II, Instructor II, Military Administrator II, Qiangshu II, Wall II
Cao Chao
Marquis
Location: That which is unknown and unseen always commands the greatest fear.

Post by Cao Chao »

Folk? What do you mean?

Probably the closest that I listen to da Vinci's Notebook.
damon
Officer

Post by damon »

Well I listen to current folk, not too much older folk. Johnny Hobo & the Freight Trains, Defiance Ohio, Bread and Roses, 1905, Mischief Brew, Evan Greer, This Bike Is A Pipebomb, stuff like that. It's pretty underground, people have lost their taste for folk I guess
TheComeback
Officer

Post by TheComeback »

Maggot wrote: Well, Jazz is more of just the same music over and over. I enjoy Jazz quite a bit but, I cant deny that there is really a lack of anything that stands out in that genre. They music, its just too bad that its always the same.
No offense, man, but all those bands like Slipknot and Disturbed all sound the same. Especially compared to Jazz. It has so many ranges within it and are never the same as each other. Why? Because Jazz uses improv and it's own style of chords and progressions. You can also use much more instument combos with it, rather than just the drop B guitar and double bass. Jazz can range from many different emotions and styles, while metal really can only stay at one. Jazz in NOT all the same.
<a href="http://simwarlords.net/forum/viewtopic. ... #30390">Ai Tianren </a>(66/Female) | 44-100*-35-78*-80
Jianshu III, Saboteur II, Spy II, Propagandist I, Raid I, Gongshu I