The Music Thread!

Moderator: Game Masters

Xiang Zhuang
Marquis

Post by Xiang Zhuang »

I watched American Idol last night, and saw Katharine McPhee and Meatloaf sing It's All Coming Back to Me Now. This left me a little perplexed. I know that Jim Steinman originally wrote that song, but for who? The only version of it that I had ever heard was sang by Celine Dion. However, I also know that Jim Steinman was primarily a song writer for Meatloaf.

So, out of curiousity, was that song originally a Meatloaf song? I don't know how many of you might know, except for Charlemagne, who knows a lot about Jim Steinman. I figured I'd ask before I started searching all over the place for the answer.

And I found last night's American Idol to be, more or less, boring. A good number of the songs didn't sound good at all as how they were done. I liked the Live/Chris Daughtry song, and... that was about it. Oh, Prince, as always, was good.
Fáng Ai (防哀) hao Aishī (皚獅, White Lion), Duke of Yan (Yan Gong)
101*.87*.44.78.39
Dash I, Gongshu II, Jianshu II, Smith II, Trainer II, Wall II

Sim Turn Length Analysis - Last Updated 4.06
Maggot
Officer
Location: Hate aint enough to describe me, somewhere between screaming and crying, Im not supposed to be here

Post by Maggot »

damon wrote:I don't know too much about Slipknot but in all honestly, what I have heard from them just doesn't make me want to learn more. I wasn't really trying to imply that they were money hungry, I can't be certain unless I know more about them, but the lyrics of theirs that I read just felt like forced rhymes, and forced rhymes seem to me like a band that just wants to make money so they throw words together. Maybe you can get that out of them but I really don't see that, it's too far fetched and I feel like the artist throws symbolism into a song to make it basically into whatever the listener wants it to be about, so they're just playing on the emotions and feelings of the listener without meaning anything themselves. That is just how I feel. But like I said, I can't expect myself to make a real judgement unless I know more about them.
Ok, I just looked up some Deadmilkmen lyrics and couldnt stop laughing. They are as lyrically challenged as todlers. Their lyrics seem to focus on KKK and incest so far (((Real meaningful topics lmao))), and they seem overly focused on bashing the right political wing. So far i've seen nothing from this band that makes them anymore than some anarchist, liberal nutcase, american hating group of idiots.

The Subhumans are even worse. Their lyrics were harder to find and for good reason. They are moronic. They are honestly worse than Brittany Spears. Thats sad and pathetic that they cant do better than some corperations poster girl.

Heres some crappy-ass lyrics by the great and incredibly skilled :lol: Dead Milkmen:

Hello my name is billybob and I dont give a damn
I got myself some white sheets straight from the Ku Klux Klan
I got myself a daughter and shes a Mongoloid
Because I married my sister and our Genepools been destroyed
Lets do it!

This is a tiny town
And we dont want you comin round
(x2)

We got ourself a sheriff and his names Bobby Joe
One day he said to me "Them punk rockers gotta go"
So we hoped into his pickup truck with a gun rack on the back
And we beat up on them punks and we beat up on them blacks
Because

This is a tiny town
(x2)

So if you should happen to come to our little town
It might be wise if you didnt hang around
Cause we hate blacks and we hate Jews
And we hate punks but we love the F.U.'s
Lets do it!

This is a tiny town
(x2)

Yeah, thats probably some of the worst lyrics I've ever seen. Those lyrics are F-ing racist too man. They are making light of it. If your listening to crap like this, your probably some sort of anarchist, you probably think you hate racism, hell, you probably think your openminded. Dude, as a Jew, lemme inform you, Lyrics like that arent cool man. Not at all. They think its funny, but its not. Thats Not cool man, not cool in the least.
Ma Zhao
Gold: 100
Command: 86
Might: 98
Intellect: 36
Judgement: 33
Charm: 65
Skills: Horsemanship, Wedge, EnrageX2, Qiangshu, Raid, Instructor
Items: Spear (Melee, Mgt+6),Book of Manuevers (Com+2)
Force: 400 soldiers with drill of 50 equipped with Pi Spears and Leather Armor.
damon
Officer

Post by damon »

They are making fun of the rednecks in our area. If you lived where I do, you'd understand how ridiculuous these people are, which the song is supposed to portray. Anyone who is different in ANY way, racially, ethically, religiously, politically, etc. They are outcasted and looked down upon. It's a satire, it's supposed to be funny. So I guess they got their point across :D

As for the Subhumans, they're amazing. They're one of the few people who agree with me on nihilism. Read Work-Rest-Play-Die, it's about how people never stand up for their beliefs. I love bands that take sides.

When the people of the country have forgotten how to disagree
And the national economy is said to be OK
And the wages that you get will help you to forget
Will you keep your ideologies or throw them all away?

When the system has you beaten
Even now you haven't eaten
Cos you can't afford to eat or drink to keep your brain alive
You blame the system for the weather but carry on as ever
You go to work at half past eight and come back home at five

You can go blue in the face talking about the human race
How they got to outer space but it never stopped the wars
And how the whole of this humanity is based on greed and vanity
The ones who make decisions are the ones who make the laws

But you're still in this society
So what's your main priority
Remain in the majority who never really cared?
Or cultivate the hate to annihilate the state
Are you prepared to die for your beliefs or just to dye your hair?

The anarchist, the nihilist but can you prove that you exist
To apopulation who insist you're just a bunch of fakes
You cannot change the system until you change your own restrictions
Communication and conviction - got to kick until it breaks
Kong Tanmeng (235) 95-72-41-69-23
Aid I, Discipline II, Instructor II, Military Administrator II, Qiangshu II, Wall II
Maggot
Officer
Location: Hate aint enough to describe me, somewhere between screaming and crying, Im not supposed to be here

Post by Maggot »

K, now I see what you do. Your concerned more with lyrical topic than quality. Now I can see why you would like said lyrics more because the topic is geared more toward your line of thought. But sadly, those lyrics arent good. Sorry man, but those are very generic, one liners on there. Slipknot beats the hell outta that crap man. Sorry, but theres my other problem with punk bands, they all have the WORST topics for songs. The Ramones are the only punk band worth listening to in my opinion.

Oh and true Samurai, good choice brother. Welcome to the Maggot Core :D
Ma Zhao
damon
Officer

Post by damon »

that's funny because the Ramones are a terrible band, in my opinion :) I like when lyrics have a message that matters, and to me that gives them quality.
Aid I, Discipline II, Instructor II, Military Administrator II, Qiangshu II, Wall II
Maggot
Officer

Post by Maggot »

But what matters to you is far from what matters to me. I dont like to mix my political views with my music. Then I'd be listening to only a few bands. You can have a great message in a song, but if the lyrics arent worded well, then theres no damn point. Might as well make a speech onstage, it would basically be the same thing.
Ma Zhao
VoShay
Marquis

Post by VoShay »

damon wrote: Rabba rabba rabba.
Maggot wrote:Rabba rabba rabba.
Less rabba and more reggae, methinks!

/me puts on some bob marley, and passes out chill pills. :D [/quote]
Guan Yin She

Excerpts about Fine American Products- Twinkies: There is something about eating a Twinkie that just lets the world know you're not too keen on self-respect. Maybe it's because under "expiration date" Hostess just prints "LOL."
damon
Officer

Post by damon »

It sounds like you wouldn't like Crass then :D But what it always come down to, like always, are people's morals and tastes. And let me tell you Maggot, the Dead Milkmen aren't racist (one of the members is jewish himself) and neither am I in the least bit. You've made some strange assumptions, the Dead Milkmen aren't anarchists. And I don't think of myself as open-minded, I just try to be as open-minded as I can be. Don't go on stereotypes, like I said I'm not a 'punk'. I listen to a large variety of different stuff, you seem to be concentrating on one or two bands that I listen to.
Maggot
Officer

Post by Maggot »

Well that particuliar song, all it did for me was make me kinda pissed off man. As far as I could tell, they were going for that redneck mockery thing, but it came off as more of making racism comical. I dont think thats funny. Hence the song almost in a way offends me. But I'm dropping the debate as I just realised something
I don't know too much about Slipknot but in all honestly, what I have heard from them just doesn't make me want to learn more.
Basically your not going to listen in all reality. You say that he forces rhymes.....dude look at the music man, it rhymes yes, so what? I mean really, thats the dumbest reason to not like a band. Thats like people who dont like poetry that rhymes. Most song lyrics rhyme. Its really not that big of a deal. And Slipknot has great use of symbolism dude. Reminds me of Tool now that I think about it. So go ahead, say whatever you want about em. So far you have yet to put forth any effort in educating yourself about my view or side of this debate. That shows that either you dont take my view seriously or you are just very narrowminded. Either way, your not gonna listen, so in short, I'm done.

Edit: The anarchist comment was in referrence to the subhumans, they seem to be very anti-goverment. That was more of a comment in a joking way, but I can see how it would be not funny so my fault. Sorry. Sometimes jokes look alot better before you post em lol.
Last edited by Maggot on Thu May 25, 2006 3:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ma Zhao
Galagros
Administrator Emeritus

Post by Galagros »

Well of course he isn't going to listen, he has his own opinion ... we all do. You can't press your views on him, as it seems you've been trying to do. Calling people narrowminded because they don't share your opinion isn't nice.
Chen Yu
Officer Info
Tian Dan, King of Qi
Officer Info
Zhong Ce
Officer Info