Question: What is the Ska genre?
Xiahou Liang, 35
Ruler of Wuzhong
86-79-71-50-63
Dash, Inspire II, Lure, Manoeuvre, Rally, Reactive Defence, Wedge, Scout
Mogwai
General

Post by Mogwai »

Ska is like punkish music with some sort of brass instrument usually. Most likely a trumpet in most cases.
Pyro
Captain

Post by Pyro »

Ska is actually very similar to Reggae. What Cai was on about is Ska-Punk which is punk music with horn sections (not just trumpets) A different guitar technigue is used too. Barre chords are played with upstrokes only which is quite ticky to pull off rather than the traditional punk downstroke power chords.
Zhao Ji (15)
Stats: 33-92*-36-74-77
Skills: Challenge I, Cover I, Doctor, Faze I Intimidate II, Maraud I, Raid I, Yueshu II
Gold: 125
--
"When I started here, all there was was swamp. Other kings said I was daft to build a castle on a swamp, but I built it all the same, just to show 'em. It sank into the swamp. So, I built a second one. That sank into the swamp. So, I built a third one. That burned down, fell over, then sank into the swamp, but the fourth one... stayed up!"
Galagros
Administrator Emeritus

Post by Galagros »

Pyro wrote:Ska is actually very similar to Reggae.
Gah, I was going to say that ... but then I thought I might have to go into details. I didn't know details.
Chen Yu
Officer Info
Tian Dan, King of Qi
Officer Info
Zhong Ce
Officer Info
GoGo the Monkey
Marshal

Post by GoGo the Monkey »

Mmm, Ska. Here's a taste of Punk-Ska, whichever you want to prefer it. Great band. <3 (Yes, that link is clickable. I don't know why it's so jacked up.)

Edit: I prefer to call it "Happy, Go-Go, dancing music." Then again, thats how I view Ska. Bleh, I also suggest checking out bands like "Dropkick Murphy's" if you'd like to hear the trumpets and what not.

http://www.myspace.com/amrevii
Tom
Major

Post by Tom »

I have Warrior Code by Dropkick Murphy. Don't like it particularly but I do like Reel Big Fish which I know is Ska. :wink:
Xiahou Liang, 35
Ruler of Wuzhong
86-79-71-50-63
Dash, Inspire II, Lure, Manoeuvre, Rally, Reactive Defence, Wedge, Scout
KDS
Lord

Post by KDS »

Okay, in my surgical haze, one of my friends made a CD for me containing freestyle by Judy Torres and George Lamond. I must say that freestyle is now my favorite musical genre.

Any takers? :wink:
GoGo the Monkey
Marshal

Post by GoGo the Monkey »

Eh, ugh, meh! Freestyle, you mean the actual freestyle type Rap? While that probably is the only type around, I could always be wrong. I'm not a big fan of the genre, but i'll listen to it. Freestyle being the best in my opinion. I'd rather listen to a guy go on and on about random stuff. Instead of some thing about cars, money and 'hoes'. Then again, i've always been more into gang-star rap as I call it. Due to the fact that it has more meaning in my eyes. I'd rather listen to ones hardship and life. As long as it isn't a bunch of 'i'll kill you this and that." heh. I'm rambling right now if you can't tell. But yeah, freestyle is good. ^_~

Oh and being from TX. I find it extremely annoying after hearing "Mike Jones" on the radio now. I don't know how many of you have actually looked into his first cd. Which came out my Sophmore year, but it sucked. He's done the same thing since he started. "Mike Jones, who!? Mike Jones, Who!?" That is someone without talent in my eyes. Then again, I haven't heard his new stuff. I don't mean to bash him or anything. But being from TX, I grew up with the main majority of rap being "Swisha House" and "Boss Hog Outlaws". Which consisted of Paul Wall and Mike Jones, Lil Flip etc. I suppose that's what I get though..
KDS
Lord

Post by KDS »

No! I hate rap! Sorry! I meant freestyle dance music. :wink:
Kain
Post 333!!!

Post by Kain »

I like freestyle rap, sheesh, even I do it.

Swishahouse isnt that bad, just alot of the same stuff. DJ Micheal "5000" Watts with his chopped and screwed style, Mike Jones yelling, "Who?! MIKE JONES!" I like his new album, called, "Who?! MIKE JONES!" You know, in every song, even the one about his grandma, he says WHO?! MIKE JONES and his phone number.
Liu Jian, 17
86-97*-35-60-58
Horsemanship, Dash, Flank, Raid, Qiangshu, Wedge
10 Gold
Items: Long Spear (+1)
Army: 1600 Soldiers (65, Bronze Armor, Horses)