The Music Thread!

Moderator: Game Masters

Pyro
Captain

Post by Pyro »

Zhu Wenshao wrote:I noticed in another thread, you said you like metal like: Lamb of God, Trivium, Static-X, Slipknot, etc. Well, that is ok except Slipknot, Static-X, and Mudvayne (the three you did say in the list) are not metal. They are hard-rock. Niether is Korn, Killswitch Engages, 12 stones, and depswa, incase you were wondering.
This is what I've heard the folowing classed as:

Static-X = Industrial Metal (played to techno and electronic beats)
Trivium = Metalcore/melodic metal (heavy metal/hardcore hybrid)
Slipknot = nu-metal (played to scratching and samples)
Mudvayne = Hard Rock
Killswitch Engage = metalcore (heavy metal/hardcore hybrid)
Korn = they get classed as nu-metal although I doubt that this is what they really are. They aren't hard rock but I'm not sure if they definately are metal.

Yeah so only one of those bands is really hard rock according to what I've heard. Metal tends to use a lot of downtuned gitars (drop-D, C#, B# are commonly used) and double-bass drumbeats. Metal songs also tend to include things like trills and scale solo patterns.

Hard rock is mainly based around a specific riff (Whole Lotta Love and Hearbreaker by Led Zep are pretty good exapmles of this. So is Black in Black by AC/DC and Ace of Spades by Motorhead). Hard rock is most often played in standard tuning although I've heard a couple of songs tuned down to C#
Zhao Ji (15)
Stats: 33-92*-36-74-77
Skills: Challenge I, Cover I, Doctor, Faze I Intimidate II, Maraud I, Raid I, Yueshu II
Gold: 125
--
"When I started here, all there was was swamp. Other kings said I was daft to build a castle on a swamp, but I built it all the same, just to show 'em. It sank into the swamp. So, I built a second one. That sank into the swamp. So, I built a third one. That burned down, fell over, then sank into the swamp, but the fourth one... stayed up!"
Zhu Wenshao
Ensign

Post by Zhu Wenshao »

Pyro wrote:
Zhu Wenshao wrote:I noticed in another thread, you said you like metal like: Lamb of God, Trivium, Static-X, Slipknot, etc. Well, that is ok except Slipknot, Static-X, and Mudvayne (the three you did say in the list) are not metal. They are hard-rock. Niether is Korn, Killswitch Engages, 12 stones, and depswa, incase you were wondering.
This is what I've heard the folowing classed as:

Static-X = Industrial Metal (played to techno and electronic beats)
Trivium = Metalcore/melodic metal (heavy metal/hardcore hybrid)
Slipknot = nu-metal (played to scratching and samples)
Mudvayne = Hard Rock
Killswitch Engage = metalcore (heavy metal/hardcore hybrid)
Korn = they get classed as nu-metal although I doubt that this is what they really are. They aren't hard rock but I'm not sure if they definately are metal.
Well Killswitch Engage is really the only true metal of the group. I don't litsen to much Static-X I suppose they could pass for metal, but Slipknot is definately hard rock; them, Korn, and Mudvayne all sound very alike when you litsen to them. The rest may have metal elements, but they are not metal.

For Blackhole, that is a nice top ten, the only problem is that Tom Waits should be number one. But it is nice to see someone else around here that appreciates the mastermind's work.
Zhu Wenshao, styled Longshajiao (Moon-struck Dragon)
Gold: 250
80-23-96*-81*-38

Pi Xie's Treatise on Pi Xie (+4 Int, +1 Jdg)

Field Advisor II, Doctor II, Confuse II, Muddle II, Delay
Tom
Major

Post by Tom »

Um Pyro, Whole Lotta Love is a rock song... Rock songs follow certain rifts which other sections of the song are derived from.

Trivium, I have to agree is Hard Rock. I see the common mistake between the two genres (with very little difference between most of them).

Yay, I'm going to see Reel Big Fish!
Xiahou Liang, 35
Ruler of Wuzhong
86-79-71-50-63
Dash, Inspire II, Lure, Manoeuvre, Rally, Reactive Defence, Wedge, Scout
Galagros
Administrator Emeritus

Post by Galagros »

Uhhh ... Trivium is definately NOT hard rock. I don't even understand how you could think that. :?
Chen Yu
Officer Info
Tian Dan, King of Qi
Officer Info
Zhong Ce
Officer Info
Tom
Major

Post by Tom »

My bad, Ember to Inferno may be a metal album but some of the songs on Ascendency definately use the techniques and types of playing found in hard rock. It reminds almost like System of a Down... :oops:

Talking of which what do we think of System of a Down- Mesmerize?
Xiahou Liang, 35
Ruler of Wuzhong
86-79-71-50-63
Dash, Inspire II, Lure, Manoeuvre, Rally, Reactive Defence, Wedge, Scout
Galagros
Administrator Emeritus

Post by Galagros »

Tom wrote:My bad, Ember to Inferno may be a metal album but some of the songs on Ascendency definately use the techniques and types of playing found in hard rock. It reminds almost like System of a Down... :oops:

Talking of which what do we think of System of a Down- Mesmerize?
I can -maybe- see you calling 2-3 songs hard rock, but you can't call the band hard rock just because they may have a couple of different songs. Hmm, System of a Down used to be my favorite band up until about two years ago. Mainly I just got tired of them. I just recently heard their new cd and I must say ... I hate it. I think it is by far their worst work to date. A couple of songs I enjoyed the music on, but I think their vocals have taken a huge U-turn for the worse.
Chen Yu
Officer Info
Tian Dan, King of Qi
Officer Info
Zhong Ce
Officer Info
Pyro
Captain

Post by Pyro »

Well Killswitch Engage is really the only true metal of the group. I don't litsen to much Static-X I suppose they could pass for metal, but Slipknot is definately hard rock; them, Korn, and Mudvayne all sound very alike when you litsen to them. The rest may have metal elements, but they are not metal.
Industrial metal is heavy, downtuned guitars played to techno and electronic beats. Static-X, Rammstien and to some extent Mad Capsule Markets (athough MCM are more punk than thything else, just giving it as an example) fall under this catergory
Nu-metal if heavy, downtuned guitars to DJ scratching and sampling or rapping, or both.
For both styles the all intruments are played the same. Mainly barre chords on the E,A and D strings for guitars. Bass plays the root note played by the rythem guitar and drums play along with beats on the backing tracks.

Slipknot have been called metal by a lot of people. I've only heard Korn been called metal once, the same with Mudvayne. Slipknot are definately nu-metal. Whether nu-metal is metal or hard rock is a different debate. You'll get people arguing either way.
Tom wrote:Um Pyro, Whole Lotta Love is a rock song... Rock songs follow certain rifts which other sections of the song are derived from.
Hard Rock songs follow the same pattern. I was giving Led Zep as an example since most people would vote them as the greatest Hard Rock band of all time. Those songs were just the first two that came to mind >_>
Tom wrote:My bad, Ember to Inferno may be a metal album but some of the songs on Ascendency definately use the techniques and types of playing found in hard rock. It reminds almost like System of a Down...
Drowned and Torn Asunder, Dying in your Arms and The Deceived are the only songs I would class as hard rock from that LP :?
Oh and System aren't metal. They even said in an interview that they aren't. Apparently they're pretty bored with the metal genre as a whole :P

To be honest the whole genre debates of "Is this metal?", "Is this punk?", "Is this something nobody would listen to even of they were strapped down and the song was blasted through headphones at them?" is elitist, boring and biased. If someone hates a metal band they're sudenly not metal, is someone hates a punk song it's suddenly not punk. I know someone who listens to Emo and hates any other band that he thinks doesn't fall into that category. "oh I won't listen to [insert band] because they are [insert genre that's not Emo] and not emo". And there's the debate asking "Are [insert band] emo?" if it's proven they aren't emo then guess what? This guy refuses to listen to them. This happens on a daily basis and is one of the most obnoxious things to do next to farting in someone's face them blaming the smell on them.

I know Zhu Wenshao is not one of those people (as far as I know :P ) but this is where I can see this thread leading to. Why don't we just stop debating and discuss the music we like with other people rather than dabating whether a band is a certain genre or not.
Zhao Ji (15)
Skills: Challenge I, Cover I, Doctor, Faze I Intimidate II, Maraud I, Raid I, Yueshu II
--
"When I started here, all there was was swamp. Other kings said I was daft to build a castle on a swamp, but I built it all the same, just to show 'em. It sank into the swamp. So, I built a second one. That sank into the swamp. So, I built a third one. That burned down, fell over, then sank into the swamp, but the fourth one... stayed up!"
KDS
Lord

Post by KDS »

Anyone hear George Laramond or something to that nature? I have a friend who's trying to get me interested. Anything on him?
Pyro
Captain

Post by Pyro »

I've heard of him but I haven't heard anything by him so I wouldn't know :?
Zhao Ji (15)
--
Energetic Lemur

Post by Energetic Lemur »

I'm currently listening to a lot of Jeff Buckley, mainly stuff from 'Sketches for my sweetheart the drunk'. Man that album would have been good if he'd been able to finish recording it. (Damn Tug-boat)

On the other hand, i utterly despise James (Sodding) Blunt. Ah well, to each his own.