Other Game Discussion

Moderator: Game Masters

Galagros
Administrator Emeritus

Post by Galagros »

Shi Zhi Mi wrote:I hated Suikoden III. Great Storyline, utter rubbish battle system. I long for the days of I and II. Suikoden I has the best SL imo and II has the best graphics/storyline/battle system mixture of them all. IV is my third favorite which isn't saying much. I stopped playing after the insane amount of random battles on the seas.
You like IV better than III? :shock: I didn't think IV had -anything- in it that was fun. III had a good story and some really cool characters.
Xiang Zhuang
Marquis

Post by Xiang Zhuang »

The battle system in IV is better than in III, for the most part. The random sea battles in IV can be essentially eliminated after you get Viki to join you. I usually did enough, though, to get the people in my party up to decent levels.

I feel really sick and tired today. I am not sure if it is because I didn't sleep at all Saturday night cause of KoTOR II or because of plain KoTOR II withdrawl. Either way, it's the game's fault. It's funny, but that's one of the higher testaments you can give to a game :)
Kymvir Raemiz
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Kymvir Raemiz »

KoTOR I's storyline was superior to II's though! II had some nice gameplay tweaks, however. Especially the easy switching between weapon sets.

Suikoden I and II were a lot of fun. Cheesy storyline, but the catchy part of the game is building your own castle and getting all those different people.

Suikoden III's storyline was actually pretty good. I enjoyed seeing the same events from three different points of view. But the battle system really needed tweaking. It had a ton of potential, but when you could only have one person doing magic and the other stood around like an idiot and didn't even defend them, it was a lame result.

It could have been a really, really good game.
Georgie
Sergeant

Post by Georgie »

Kymvir Raemiz wrote:It could have been a really, really good game.
You can solve the battle problem by putting those super awesome people in there alone.

I helf off the invading armies from the Holy Empire with just Augustine the first two times. :P Rank A+ Parry > You.
Galagros
Administrator Emeritus

Post by Galagros »

Yeah, III gets really easy. Even more so after you've beaten it 8-9 times.
Xiang Zhuang
Marquis

Post by Xiang Zhuang »

Yeah, that reminds me...I was disappointed that Suikoden IV went away from that skill system that III had, with like Parry A and etc. That was pretty fun, even if most people's skills were all decided. Thomas's Parry skill made him actually useful. When I beat the game (the only time I've actually done it), I had him and Cecile in my party, heh. Yeah, I died a few times before he finally went down, but still :)
Fáng Ai (防哀) hao Aishī (皚獅, White Lion), Duke of Yan (Yan Gong)
101*.87*.44.78.39
Dash I, Gongshu II, Jianshu II, Smith II, Trainer II, Wall II

Sim Turn Length Analysis - Last Updated 4.06
Galagros
Administrator Emeritus

Post by Galagros »

Oh, and let us not forget that the main characters in IV looked extremely dumb and uninteresting. I spent the first 20 minutes of the game thinking one was a woman. -_-
Xiang Zhuang
Marquis

Post by Xiang Zhuang »

That's kinda funny :) I remember there being a bunch of hub-bub about the artist of the original 2 Suikoden's coming back to do IV after they didn't do III, or something like that.
Fáng Ai (防哀) hao Aishī (皚獅, White Lion), Duke of Yan (Yan Gong)
101*.87*.44.78.39
Dash I, Gongshu II, Jianshu II, Smith II, Trainer II, Wall II

Sim Turn Length Analysis - Last Updated 4.06
Georgie
Sergeant

Post by Georgie »

Suikoden III also had one thing IV didn't.

Front and center Yuber action. (Including mini-battle too!)

It was sexy. In a non-homo erotic way.
Shi Zhi Mi
Colonel

Post by Shi Zhi Mi »

I wish Pesmerga was in III. That man was a tank.

Now I'd like V to be Suikoden Legends or something along those lines. Bring back the characters we know and love. Not some pansy like a boozing Silverberg or a sham hedonist like Augustine. Have the hero of Suikoden V time travel to pick up a whole buttload of kewl officers. Viktor and Sgt Joe. Flick and Thomas. Hero 1, Hero 2, & Hero 4 in action.

I hated the whole trinity setup of III. But I could have swallowed that if it wasn't for the battle system. I hated the battle system with a passion. It made it so where I couldn't handle it anymore and gave the game to a friend.