Quizbowl!

Moderator: Game Masters

Freefall
Major

Post by Freefall »

Umm ok so its history...lets mix it up a bit. Go with some Sports History....I think thats within the rules!

In what year did the Chicago Cubs play their first game at Wrigley Field with stadium lighting?

Also if you can, what was the date when the first offical game was played?
Jiang Sei (35)
Stats: 90-83*-53-42-79*
Skills: Charge II, Discipline II, Inspire II, Instructor I, Jueshu I, Military Administrator II, Qianshu I, Raid I
Lurking Tyranny
The Florentine Admin
The Florentine Admin
Location: "When you play the game of thrones, you win or you die. There is no middle ground."

Post by Lurking Tyranny »

According to the website for the Cubs:

After 5,687 consecutive day games played by the Cubs at Wrigley, the lights were finally lit on August 8, 1988, for a game with the Philadelphia Phillies. That game was rained out after 3 innings, and the first official night game took place the following evening against the New York Mets. The Cubs won, 6-4. Lights had actually been placed in the ballpark for installation in 1941, but Wrigley instead donated them to a shipyard for the war effort the day after Pearl Harbor. In the late 1980s, however, Cubs management insisted that the team was in danger of leaving Wrigley if lights weren�t installed, and Major League Baseball threatened to make the Cubs play postseason games at Busch Stadium in St. Louis.

New question: According to most accepted archeological evidence, where is it presumed that the Goth's lived during the first and second century?

And following that, where did they migrate to during the third century?

PS:
Cao Chao wrote:The original Great Wall was measured in originally at 2880 km. In Chinese history it's measured in at about 5000 li. A li is equal to 576 m.

The Meng family with such distinguished Qin vassals such as Meng Wu and his children, Meng Tian and Meng Yi were not originally from Qin. Where were they originally from?
Originally from Qi.
GMNPC's
Fan Zeng, Prime Minister of Chu

Player Character
Gu Hama of Ba

Liu Bang then asked Han Xin, who had served under Xiang Yu but was driven out, "what is Xiang Yu's weakness? Is there a way to defeat him?" Han Xin calmly replied, "No, Xiang Yu himself is invincible, he is destined to be king."
areon
Captain

Post by areon »

I don't know where they originated so I'll go with north pole. The Goths moved to the Roman border in the Balkans above/in Dacia during the third century.
Pei Jia

If the egg's shell does not break, the chick will die without being born. We are the chick; the egg is the world. If the world's shell does not break, we will die without being born. Smash the world's shell! For the revolution of the world!
Lurking Tyranny
The Florentine Admin
The Florentine Admin
Location: "When you play the game of thrones, you win or you die. There is no middle ground."

Post by Lurking Tyranny »

The second part was correct. The answer to the first part was between the Oder and Elbe rivers.
GMNPC's
Fan Zeng, Prime Minister of Chu

Player Character
Gu Hama of Ba

Liu Bang then asked Han Xin, who had served under Xiang Yu but was driven out, "what is Xiang Yu's weakness? Is there a way to defeat him?" Han Xin calmly replied, "No, Xiang Yu himself is invincible, he is destined to be king."
areon
Captain

Post by areon »

What were 'barbarians' called that lived in Roman territory legally and how did it typically come about?
Pei Jia

If the egg's shell does not break, the chick will die without being born. We are the chick; the egg is the world. If the world's shell does not break, we will die without being born. Smash the world's shell! For the revolution of the world!
Royalspork
Marshal

Post by Royalspork »

Well, shot in the dark, the socii and they were still autonomous, yet had some function of Roman rule until the socii wars, when they were given no autonomous rule.

Well, all of that is true, but I don't believe I would call them 'barbarians'
areon
Captain

Post by areon »

That was a different situation under the Republic dealing with Roman allied states in Italy. I'm asking about the various tribes status in the Imperial Era.
Pei Jia

areon
Captain

Post by areon »

I don't want to wait a week here it is, source.

Basically Germanic and other tribes began in the late second century to move south towards Roman territory for the prospects of an easier life(climate/eastern pressures such as Huns/etc). They would either try to raid territory or make a treaty with Rome. Initially the Romans had superior weapons and tactics but in the later years they relied on these moving peoples to govern their borders. They were called foederati and either chose military service, as opposed to enslavement, when defeated or signed agreements with Rome to live inside the border with the promise of being a part of the defenses.

New subject!

What act did Japan commit at the outset of the Russo-Japanese war? Hint America should've learned its history lesson :wink:
Pei Jia

Cao Chao
Marquis
Location: That which is unknown and unseen always commands the greatest fear.

Post by Cao Chao »

The war began with preemptive strikes by the Imperial Japanese Navy against the Russian Far East Fleet based at Port Arthur and at Chemulpo. The initial attack against the Far East Fleet took place three hours before the formal declaration of war on February 8, 1904. And really, the US has learned the lesson. Remember Iraq, preemptive strike. :wink:
areon
Captain

Post by areon »

Yeah Fall of Eagles is a great mini-series that has this in it. It's hilarious watching the reactions of the Tsar and Kaiser. Correct.
Pei Jia