Book Discussion

Moderator: Game Masters

Galagros
Administrator Emeritus

Re: Book Discussion

Post by Galagros »

Ohh. Well, I think movie adaptations of books generally suck and game adaptations of movies usually suck, too. It is too bad really, because you always think "gee, this would make a great game/movie" when reading a book.
Chen Yu
Officer Info
Tian Dan, King of Qi
Officer Info
Zhong Ce
Officer Info
Lurking Tyranny
The Florentine Admin
The Florentine Admin
Location: "When you play the game of thrones, you win or you die. There is no middle ground."

Post by Lurking Tyranny »

Kymvir Raemiz wrote:On the other hand - I read the Lies of Lock Lamora books. Those are fun. They remind me of modern action movies.

Anyone read Scalzi's Old Man War and sequels? Along with Kim Stanley Robinson's Mars series, and Ender's Game, they are probably my favorite Sci Fi stuff.
I read the first book of Kim Stanley Robinson's Mars series. I liked reading it for all the detail and hard science fiction, but I hated about half the characters and the two characters I liked the best were both killed off. The ending of the first book was also rather disappointing I think. How are the other two?
GMNPC's
Fan Zeng, Prime Minister of Chu

Player Character
Gu Hama of Ba

Liu Bang then asked Han Xin, who had served under Xiang Yu but was driven out, "what is Xiang Yu's weakness? Is there a way to defeat him?" Han Xin calmly replied, "No, Xiang Yu himself is invincible, he is destined to be king."
Kymvir Raemiz
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Kymvir Raemiz »

Kim Stanley Robinson's second book is marvelous. The third book is . . . interesting but not exciting. He pretty much finishes his story by book 2, and book 3 strikes me as more of a collection of short stories about the characters established in 1 and 2 used to tie up some loose ends.

The Lloyd Alexander books, along with David Eddings Belgariad are the fantasy series that got me hooked on the genre. I had the Alexander books and red them so many times I had to replace the set entire because it was falling apart.
Brother Dun
Marquis

Post by Brother Dun »

Soo....

I've recently read all books available from Glen Cook's The Black Company series. They are honestly amazing books, and I think everyone should look into them.

Also, I've read Cook's Instrumentalities of the Night series, another good one.

Other than that, I've read Make Love* The Bruce Campbell Way which was a fun, quick read and Necropolis a Warhammer 40K book that was given to me by my roommate. I'm currently in need of another good book/series to pick up, anyone got any suggestions?
Zu Yanghei zì 智盜 'Zhì​dào​' (Knowledge Thief)
Kymvir Raemiz
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Kymvir Raemiz »

I have Glen Cook's first book. Haven't read it yet.

Scott Lynch has a pair of very nice books out. The Lies of Lock Lamora is a fun combo of a heist/action story - with some magic thrown in. The first book is good enough and contained enough it's almost a standalone book not needing a sequel.

Patrick Rothfuss's first book is excellent, but the rest of the series isn't out, and I can't say that about it.
Lurking Tyranny
The Florentine Admin
The Florentine Admin
Location: "When you play the game of thrones, you win or you die. There is no middle ground."

Post by Lurking Tyranny »

I liked Joe Abercrombie's First Law trilogy. A big plus to them is that the Trilogy is already complete, so you would not have to wait an undetermined amount of time for the next book in the series to come out.

I tried to read the Black Company ages ago and I just couldn't get into his writing style.
GMNPC's
Fan Zeng, Prime Minister of Chu

Player Character
Gu Hama of Ba

Liu Bang then asked Han Xin, who had served under Xiang Yu but was driven out, "what is Xiang Yu's weakness? Is there a way to defeat him?" Han Xin calmly replied, "No, Xiang Yu himself is invincible, he is destined to be king."
ann
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ann »

Oh nifty - Sima Qian is on Kindle :)
Belial
Marquis

Post by Belial »

A bit of a dip back into Glen Cook, but, I have to!

I read the original Books of the North about two or three years ago and honestly enjoyed them. Late last year, I managed to get my hands onto Books of the South. But, I've been unable to find the Books of the Glittering Stone. I've tried both Books A Million and other local bookstores to no avail, just where have you gotten your copies?
Starring As:
The Hero of Xianyang, The Incorruptible Lu Chen, and the Glorious Emperor Kang!
Brother Dun
Marquis

Post by Brother Dun »

I managed to pick up a copy of both Omnibuses at Borders/Barnes & Noble (one at each, but both places had both books). Check 'em out there, and Glen Cook is currently working on two more Black Company books to boot, so I'm eagerly awaiting them.
Zu Yanghei zì 智盜 'Zhì​dào​' (Knowledge Thief)
Kymvir Raemiz
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Kymvir Raemiz »

Lurking Tyranny wrote:I liked Joe Abercrombie's First Law trilogy. A big plus to them is that the Trilogy is already complete, so you would not have to wait an undetermined amount of time for the next book in the series to come out.
A guy at work keeps suggesting these to me. He was the one who suggested Gregory Keyes to me, and I really liked his series(first book is The Briar King) a lot. Well, I loved the first three, but felt the concluding book was a little rushed. It was still good though.