Public Rules Comment

Moderator: Game Masters

Sol Jhee
Sergeant

Post by Sol Jhee »

Challenge: The officer is skilled at issuing insulting duel challenges to the officers of the opposing force that is under attack. Some are so skilled as to shame opposing officers into accepting duels against their better judgement.
- Level I: Officer has an (Attacker's Cha - Defender's Jud) + (Attacker's Might - Defender's Might)+10% chance of automatically forcing a duel, even if normally it would be declined. If declined, the opposing army has a (Attacker’s Int + Attacker’s Cha)/5% chance of reducing the defender’s army morale by 3.
- Level II: Officer has an (Attacker's Cha - Defender's Jud) + (Attacker's Might - Defender's Might)+20% chance of automatically forcing a duel, even if normally it would be declined. If declined, the opposing army has a (Attacker’s Int + Attacker’s Cha)/5% chance of reducing the defender’s army morale by 5.
- Level III: Officer has an (Attacker's Cha - Defender's Jud) + (Attacker's Might - Defender's Might)+30% chance of automatically forcing a duel, even if normally it would be declined. If declined, the opposing army has a (Attacker’s Int + Attacker’s Cha)/5% chance of reducing the defender’s army morale by 7.
- Level III: Officer has an ((Attacker’s Int + Attacker’s Cha)/6) * ((Defender’s Might)/(Defender’s Int))+10% chance of automatically forcing a duel, even if normally it would be declined. If declined, the opposing army has a (Attacker’s Int + Attacker’s Cha)/5% chance of reducing the defender’s army morale by 7.
In the Battle Rules Thread you have 2 different descriptions for Level III Challenge.

Also, it seems to me that the Judgement stat is overly weighted relative to the other stats in the sim. It is the primary stat for all the archer ploys, is a secondary stat for several other ploys, is one of if not the most important defensive stat, is used in many of the Dueling Tactics, and is the most prevalent of stats used in Kingdom Turns. It seems particularly more useful then Intelligence at the moment.
Xiang Zhuang
Marquis

Post by Xiang Zhuang »

The bottom one there was the original formula that Kymvir made that I think I argued against. He must have missed it in changing it. I'll delete it out.

As for your comments on Judgement, they are noted. If others feel that way, please say so. As part of my last-minute housecleaning for this week, I am going to double-check things. If I see what you see, I might change some of the ploys and/or KT actions. Probably will not make a drastic change to the overall stat system, but if Judgement does look a little too powerful, I'll shave it down a bit.
Fáng Ai (防哀) hao Aishī (皚獅, White Lion), Duke of Yan (Yan Gong)
101*.87*.44.78.39
Dash I, Gongshu II, Jianshu II, Smith II, Trainer II, Wall II

Sim Turn Length Analysis - Last Updated 4.06
Lurking Tyranny
The Florentine Admin
The Florentine Admin
Location: "When you play the game of thrones, you win or you die. There is no middle ground."

Post by Lurking Tyranny »

I do not see any major problems with Judgement thus far. It might be one of the better stats, but I am unsure whether or not it is unbalanced. The only way you will really get a sense would be from the experience of seeing it in action. Though you may want to comb through the different ploys and the like to ascertain whether it is being over used.

Though i'd wager intelligence is one of the heavily used skills outside of combat situations.
GMNPC's
Fan Zeng, Prime Minister of Chu

Player Character
Gu Hama of Ba

Liu Bang then asked Han Xin, who had served under Xiang Yu but was driven out, "what is Xiang Yu's weakness? Is there a way to defeat him?" Han Xin calmly replied, "No, Xiang Yu himself is invincible, he is destined to be king."
Sol Jhee
Sergeant

Post by Sol Jhee »

Raid: Officer attempts to lead a small, deadly strike force in a raid into an enemy camp, killing a small number of soldiers. The officer may suffer an Injury during the attempt, but also has a chance of encountering and injuring an enemy officer before they can get properly equipped. If a officer is attempting Raid ploys and the army is challenged to a duel, the officer will automatically accept.
- Unskilled: There is a Might/5% chance the officer finds an opening to charge the enemy with a picked group of men, causing Might * 1.5 damage to the enemy force. There is an (Int/15)% chance of finding a randomly determined enemy officer during the raid, and a (Attacker Mgt - (Defender Mgt+Jud)/2)% chance of causing a 15% injury. If the chance is negative, the number is made positive, and that is the chance of a 25% injury to the attacker.
- Level I: There is a Might/3% chance the officer finds an opening to charge the enemy with a picked group of men, causing Might * 2 damage to the enemy force. There is an (Int/10)% chance of finding a randomly determined enemy officer during the raid, and a (Attacker Mgt - (Defender Mgt+Jud)/2)% chance of causing a 15% injury. If the chance is negative, the number is made positive, and that is the chance of a 15% injury to the attacker.
- Level II: There is a Might/3% chance the officer finds an opening to charge the enemy with a picked group of men, causing Might * 2.5 damage to the enemy force. There is an (Int/8)% chance of finding a randomly determined enemy commander during the raid, and a (Attacker Mgt - (Defender Mgt+Jud)/2)% chance of causing a 20% injury. If the chance is negative, the number is made positive, and that is the chance of a 15% injury to the attacker.
- Level III: There is a Might/3% chance the officer charges the enemy with a picked group of men, causing Might * 3 damage to the enemy force. There is an (Int/6%) chance of finding a randomly determined enemy commander during the raid, and a (Attacker Mgt - (Defender Mgt+Jud)/2)% chance of causing a 25% injury. If the chance is negative, the number is made positive, and that is the chance of a 10% injury to the attacker. There is also a (Might/10)% chance the attacked army will fall into confusion.
Raid seems to be a little underpowered. You have to pass a check for it to go off, then pass another check for it to find an officer, and thena thrid check to see if you injure them.

Assuming you had an officer with both 100 Might and 100 Intelligence, using Level III Raid, you'd only have 5% chance of finding an officer, and assuming that officer had somewhere in the range of 140 combined Might and Judgement(which isn't that much), only a 1.5% of injuring them overall. You have to pass a 33% check, a 16% check, and a 30% in order for an injury to occur. And that is with better stats then most people will have using the top level of the ability.

You'd also do 300 damage to the enemy, but that doesn't seem to be very much.
Lurking Tyranny
The Florentine Admin
The Florentine Admin
Location: "When you play the game of thrones, you win or you die. There is no middle ground."

Post by Lurking Tyranny »

I have to agree with Sol on this one. Raid does seem rather underpowered and may need some tweaked, to at least make it more likely to go off.
GMNPC's
Fan Zeng, Prime Minister of Chu

Player Character
Gu Hama of Ba

Liu Bang then asked Han Xin, who had served under Xiang Yu but was driven out, "what is Xiang Yu's weakness? Is there a way to defeat him?" Han Xin calmly replied, "No, Xiang Yu himself is invincible, he is destined to be king."
Xiang Zhuang
Marquis

Post by Xiang Zhuang »

I'm actually rather ashamed I didn't notice that myself when I was doing the trial battle earlier, heh. That is going on the list as well. I apologize for being so vague about how I plan to change the problems here and there, but it's mostly because I haven't decided for 100% how to go, and I don't want to say something then decide against it later.

From some comments I've received in IRC, my trial battle, and the stuff that you guys have been posting here, there could be a rather widespread change to things, although most changes will only be minor. Raid will probably get a rather large change, though.

Another area that kinda goes along with this would be the confusion/panic results from some of the battle tactics. While the tactics success rate might be changed slightly (I agree with what others have said; that the chance of success gradient is too small), the chance for confusion/panic is incredibly low, since it again requires a second roll.

Hopefully I can make a very long and big announcement sometime tomorrow showing how everything has changed :)
101*.87*.44.78.39

Energetic Lemur

Post by Energetic Lemur »

Seeing the recent battle, I think cavalry are rather underpowered, while at the same time archers are slightly overpowered. I don't think a volley of arrows would do more damage than a cavalry charge.

Apart from that great job :D
Kymvir Raemiz
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Kymvir Raemiz »

There are a lot more factors in that attack than just one side being cavalry, and one being archers.

Deng Zong was a weaker general, had only 5000 cavalry, and his ploy failed. Sima Xin had 10,000 archers and his troops were equipped with leather armor.
Sol Jhee
Sergeant

Post by Sol Jhee »

Is the purchase of food in the correct proportions? If I can buy 100 food for 1 gold in any season, doesn't that render the benefit of developing agriculture moot? Wouldn't I be better off just putting all my development into commerce and just buying my food?
Sol Jhee, Ruler of Chenggao
86*-81*-41-85*-54
Duelist(Aggressive A, Defensive D, Rope-a-Dope), Ambush I, Reactive Defense I, Saboteur I, Dash II
Xiang Zhuang
Marquis

Post by Xiang Zhuang »

Sol Jhee wrote:Is the purchase of food in the correct proportions? If I can buy 100 food for 1 gold in any season, doesn't that render the benefit of developing agriculture moot? Wouldn't I be better off just putting all my development into commerce and just buying my food?
You may be underestimating the amount of food you can get through developing agriculture. This is a worry I had myself, which is part of the reason we put the limit of (Agriculture * 100) for the amount of food you can get in any month. Which, now that I list it, seems horribly high, so I will probably go change that formula here in a minute.

I believe, with having to repeatedly buy food, and etc. it evens itself out. I would pity the person who ignored agriculture, since this is the main way of getting food. After I post the new limit up there, let me know if you still feel the same way, and then I might be able to better answer you.
101*.87*.44.78.39