Topic: Ruler Sign-Ups

Moderator: Game Masters

Lu Ying
Lord
Location: The fearsome pride, the glistening shell, the crayfish beckons me in my sleep...

Post by Lu Ying »

Galagros wrote:It is my feeling (no offense) that a lot of PCs can't be trusted to do their turns in the PHP system.
There is where our opinions on sims and the like differ :)

I dont think the game is just for the 10-20 rulers and the few people they pawn off the KT to. If someone cant be trusted to do their turn you dont put them on the front line. ruling becomes much more of a charismatic -ruling- position rather then a number cruncher
Yun Ling(23, Female); 62-94*-21-66-68
Yueshu III, gongshu II, raid II, politian II, Challange I
Items equiped: Ravager (+3 Axe) Steel Chainmail (+7 armour), Sapphire (+1 speed, +3 defence, Horse)
Galagros
Administrator Emeritus

Post by Galagros »

Lu Ying wrote:
Galagros wrote:It is my feeling (no offense) that a lot of PCs can't be trusted to do their turns in the PHP system.
There is where our opinions on sims and the like differ :)

I dont think the game is just for the 10-20 rulers and the few people they pawn off the KT to. If someone cant be trusted to do their turn you dont put them on the front line. ruling becomes much more of a charismatic -ruling- position rather then a number cruncher
Again, I truly don't want to be offensive, but a lot of people who rule can't get enough PCs to afford not having all of their officers doing important things. Some rulers ... can get a lot of officers somewhat easier than others. So they have a better chance of having PCs active enough to do their own turns.
Chen Yu
Officer Info
Tian Dan, King of Qi
Officer Info
Zhong Ce
Officer Info
Lu Ying
Lord
Location: The fearsome pride, the glistening shell, the crayfish beckons me in my sleep...

Post by Lu Ying »

Again, I truly don't want to be offensive, but a lot of people who rule can't get enough PCs to afford not having all of their officers doing important things. Some rulers ... can get a lot of officers somewhat easier than others. So they have a better chance of having PCs active enough to do their own turns.[/quote]

Dont worry Gal, I wont take any offence....even if you wanted me to! HAH!

But yes, I see what you say, but I think, tough luck. I dont have ahuge OOC following but in every sim I have ruled I've managed to get a large officer base because thats where I put my effort. -someone- always wants to do the KT someone will want to crunch numbers, someone will want to do battle tactics. As far as I am concerned, great! Let them! my job as ruler is to get people and entertain them, and myself.
Yun Ling(23, Female); 62-94*-21-66-68
Yueshu III, gongshu II, raid II, politian II, Challange I
Items equiped: Ravager (+3 Axe) Steel Chainmail (+7 armour), Sapphire (+1 speed, +3 defence, Horse)
AaronH229
General

Post by AaronH229 »

I agree, though it pains me to say it :P, with Lu of this one but for slightly different reasons. I have ruled on here, simRTK, WotD and HoC and I must say that I have found that ruling on HoC was the most challenging for me as I was given a larger incentive for creating ways to try and inspire officers to stay active. This to me, as I think Lu says is how ruling should be...so yeah....
ann
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ann »

There are people who seem to have lots of friends to get on and join up. But there are also a few people who make a real roleplay effort - make an interesting character, roleplay a lot in all available threads, engage with people whether or not they plan to join etc - who also get a lot of followers.

It's probably easier if you have a lot of friends already, or a reputation for winning - but you can get officers in other ways. It's not easy to be relatively innactive and get officers unless you get friends to join.

edit: and if you are slow to start for whatever reason - away at the start or something - then you lose out no matter what.
Naurek
Sergeant

Post by Naurek »

My system on HoC isn't made for rulers. It never was. Sengoku Japan was centered around smaller Daimyo fighting it out, each having their own domains, etc. Only at the end of the Sengoku period were there large domains. So we created a system where players essentially decide the fate of the clan as a whole. Players could help or hurt a clan.

Sure, it didn't work out perfectly for the last game. Many parts of it were bug related, many weren't. But we in no way created the system to be based off Players doing exactly what the ruler wants them to do. That is what SimRTK was for. We wanted to create a system where people seemed to make more of a difference. Sure, inactivity will hurt a clan. Sure, players have to do their turns. But I always thought it better to make a difference than just be a pawn.

My opinion was the same as Lu Ying's, I would rather be a ruler than an officer, because normally being an officer sucks. So we tried to make the game a little funner for players. Some players don't want to do (as Dao Xia said) the work of actually coming on twice a week and spend 5 minutes doing their turn. I personally think that is just plain stupid and couldn't care less if those types of players even play on our game. If you can't spend 5 minutes twice a week on a turn, you probably don't have the patience to play the game anyway at all, or you are fully comfortable being a pawn who's only satisfaction is reading your character's name on a battle post, even if you had no say in the decision to go into that battle.

With all that ranting said, the PHP system doesn't have to be based on player turns only. You could easily make turns for just rulers. You could incorporate it however you want. Sure, it will make KTs too easy as Galagros said, which some rulers won't want. I think that is not a reason to not do it though. As I have seen first hand, and continue to see over and over, it is very very hard to find staff members that will stay around more than a month let alone sit down and do the work needed to police a sim. In order to keep things fair, all KTs should be checked. That will create longer turns, more staff time needed, more dedicated staff (or less staff and more time on turn changes). When HoC did Turn changes two games ago, our turn changes took around 2-3 days just to do PTs and KTs. With the PHP, turn changes (without battles) take about 5 minutes. I guess it just depends on how much "crap work" staffers want to do. If you want to handle the not so fun stuff, then you don't need the PHP system.
Huangfu Yuan (46) 71-27-85-90-45 Civil Administrator II, Confuse I, Doctor I, Lure I, Military Administrator II, Public Planner I
Lord of Dicheng
Galagros
Administrator Emeritus

Post by Galagros »

My statement that you quoted was referring to those PCs who would not do turns at all, not those who would not follow orders. If they are supposed to be autonomous then rulers shouldn't try to tell them what to do in the first place.
Chen Yu
Officer Info
Tian Dan, King of Qi
Officer Info
Zhong Ce
Officer Info
Naurek
Sergeant

Post by Naurek »

Galagros wrote:My statement that you quoted was referring to those PCs who would not do turns at all, not those who would not follow orders. If they are supposed to be autonomous then rulers shouldn't try to tell them what to do in the first place.
Right, by my statements were in regards to that as well as to other comments made earlier.

Basically, as I said before, it was never my intention to create a system where players can simply signup and then leave, leaving their character in the total control of the ruler whom that player joined. I wanted players to feel that they are important as well as vital to the game.

If Warlords went with a php system where players must do their own turns, then of course the players will have to be more on the ball with doing turns. That will cut down the number of "active players", but as I said before, players who won't spend the time doing turns probably aren't all that active in the first place and won't last in the game.
Huangfu Yuan (46) 71-27-85-90-45 Civil Administrator II, Confuse I, Doctor I, Lure I, Military Administrator II, Public Planner I
Lord of Dicheng
GoGo the Monkey
Marshal

Post by GoGo the Monkey »

I'd just like to throw out there that more then likely if you don't have the time to log into a PHP system. You don't have the time to write up a PT and post it in the PT thread. Unless of course you're one of those people who save your PT's every turn and just copy/paste. Regardless, its a click of a mouse. I'd compare it to checking your email..or even myspace.

As for ruler concerns, it helps them out a bit. I know there are some people who aren't good at math, or don't have enough time to dedicate to a KT. Now all they need to do is click a button and boom, done. Does it mean they're going to succeed? No. But it gives the user that chance of actual ruling for once. I personally like being able to control my PC. I agree that it leaves your kingdom more in the hands of those capable. But i'll stress that there are some people who simply sign in to do a PT/KT action and leave. The pawn effect isn't completely erased.

Anyways, onto the main point of this topic. I might consider going for a ruler spot. Despite my inactivity this game, I enjoyed the last and enjoy Warlords in a whole. Given I have the time to commit I'll throw my name in the hat. Who knows, maybe I'll have a stroke of luck and it all turns out good.
Unchained Phoenix
Colonel

Post by Unchained Phoenix »

So who's planning on ruling, again? I know Aaron is gonna. xD
Puyang Shuang (19) 60-45-114*-43-80*
Aid II, Confuse I, Decoy I, Deride II, Entangle I, Jeer I, Scout II, Scribe II
7986 (100) Troops
547g

Followers: Hua Gongming, Yuan Man