Invention of Paper (140 - 87 BC)

Moderator: Game Masters

Jiang Zhi
Captain

Invention of Paper (140 - 87 BC)

Post by Jiang Zhi »

Just want to note to everyone (ever since my sarcastic reply IC "what is paper"), paper was not invented in China until the 2nd Century BC...around 140 to 87 BC. Although it exists in the RTK period, it wasn't until the Han Dynasty when paper was invented.

They wrote on bamboo scrolls.

EDIT: Mods, you can move this to the suggestion thread :D
Jiang Zhi, Male (28) 79-28-65-83-78 Civil Administrator II, Inspire, Military Administrator II, Politician, Propagandist
Gold: 100

Feng Ming, (Wife of JZ) Female (21) 67-70-72-62-66 Confuse I, Deceive I, Saboteur I, Smith I, Spy I, Trainer I, Wall I
Wang Jian, (Bureaucrat) Male (46) 82-64-47-66-38 Dash I, Delay II, Flank I, Jianshu I, Politician I, Saboteur II
Jiang Xi, (Sister of JZ) Female (25) 39-66-63-66-66 Dash II, Formation I, Propagandist I, Gongshu I, Politician I, Marksman I
Zi You de
Colonel

Post by Zi You de »

I knew paper was in China ! Just about seventy years later... come on, Zhenny, last 80 more years (135, That's old...) to see paper !

But yeah, should have looked that up before hand.
Dai Mu Male, 27
90-94-22-67-18
Challenge I, Charge III, Gongshu II, Maraud II, Qiangshu III

"Zi You de has the best stat line ever. : P "
Jiang Zhi
Captain

Post by Jiang Zhi »

Zi You de wrote:I knew paper was in China ! Just about seventy years later... come on, Zhenny, last 80 more years (135, That's old...) to see paper !

But yeah, should have looked that up before hand.
Lol, I'm not criticizing you :) just giving ppl some info ;)
Jiang Zhi, Male (28) 79-28-65-83-78 Civil Administrator II, Inspire, Military Administrator II, Politician, Propagandist

Feng Ming, (Wife of JZ) Female (21) 67-70-72-62-66 Confuse I, Deceive I, Saboteur I, Smith I, Spy I, Trainer I, Wall I
Wang Jian, (Bureaucrat) Male (46) 82-64-47-66-38 Dash I, Delay II, Flank I, Jianshu I, Politician I, Saboteur II
Jiang Xi, (Sister of JZ) Female (25) 39-66-63-66-66 Dash II, Formation I, Propagandist I, Gongshu I, Politician I, Marksman I
Xiang Zhuang
Marquis

Post by Xiang Zhuang »

We generally know about this and more or less are kinda leaving it up to the player to determine how historical they want to play. Chairs weren't really around at this time, either; almost everone sat on pillows. There are some other nitpicky things we could deal with, but yeah, forcing people to abandon paper would just be an unnecessary hassle for the most of us. Especially since our 2000+ AD culture is so far beyond it.

But yeah, some things, like people sending one another letters and the like, just didn't happen. The amount of people who could write or were even semi-literate was probably in the single digits percentage-wise. It's too inhibiting to enforce.
Fáng Ai (防哀) hao Aishī (皚獅, White Lion), Duke of Yan (Yan Gong)
101*.87*.44.78.39
Dash I, Gongshu II, Jianshu II, Smith II, Trainer II, Wall II

Sim Turn Length Analysis - Last Updated 4.06
In Ferro Veritas
Lieutenant

Post by In Ferro Veritas »

Xiang Zhuang wrote:We generally know about this and more or less are kinda leaving it up to the player to determine how historical they want to play. Chairs weren't really around at this time, either; almost everone sat on pillows. There are some other nitpicky things we could deal with, but yeah, forcing people to abandon paper would just be an unnecessary hassle for the most of us. Especially since our 2000+ AD culture is so far beyond it.

But yeah, some things, like people sending one another letters and the like, just didn't happen. The amount of people who could write or were even semi-literate was probably in the single digits percentage-wise. It's too inhibiting to enforce.
I woke up this morning and said, "Damn, I really want to make it so Zhou Zheng can E-Mail someone from his laptop."

I'm serious.
Xue Xia
36-35-79-89-59
Civil Administrator II, Engineer II, Propagandist II, Public Planner II, Entrench I, Poison I, Doctor
Jiang Zhi
Captain

Post by Jiang Zhi »

Ya know, I almost typed Jiang Zhi sitting in his office speaking on the phone >.>

Dao Xia
General

Post by Dao Xia »

If I'm not mistaken, texts were still around (kinda like monks having them in the middle ages) but education wasn't as wide spread. Yeah, it was Cai something who did it after yeards of study and funding. Thats why my first few recruitments I specified were all delivered by word of mouth, until I said "screw it" and started writing letters.
Bourne
Major

Post by Bourne »

I knew about the chair things but it's just too annoying to take away everything that isn't prefect with the time frame. Hell we're using time travel half the time. Something we can't even do now. So yea... screw complete realism. If we used complete realism. Then I can't imagine the girls here not being very happy about it :wink:
Zhào​ Láng​ (赵狼)
Xīng​nù​ (惺怒, Tranquil fury)
63-92-33-49-67
Faze II, Intimidate II, Inspire II, Jianshu II, Wall II, Yueshu I
RMNZ
Officer

Post by RMNZ »

I use a bit of realism - I haven't mentioned a chair yet, I love to line rooms with cushions here and there, it helps me set a scene - all you really have to do is switch the word 'chair' for 'cushion' though (and not have your character lean back when the are relaxed :P).
Zhao Han, 19
84-23-87*-82*-47
Discipline I, Scout I, Military Admin II, Civil Admin II, Decoy II
Zhao Han's War Manual (+7 Int), The Will of Heaven (Jud +4)
LuNing
Not-so-new recruit

Post by LuNing »

like it is said its hard to be realistic i doubt even the most commited roleplayers here have any feesable and realistic idea of the social standards back then , the treatment of people and the behaviour that was appropraite , persoanlly i think that for the sake of smooth interaction and gameplay many things such as letters and things just have to slide.
Lu Ning , 21
80-70-83-61-30
Skills: Qiangshu II , Doctor I , Public Planner I , Aid II , Confuse II , Scout II