Education/Careers

Moderator: Game Masters

Mogwai
General

Post by Mogwai »

This is from personal experience, but you don't really need school to advance you in music. :)

I find studying music or music theory in school leaves me feeling too traditional or contemporary, and as a musician, I would never following anything we learn in school in my music career. It probably sounds tired, but practice really is the best way to go as a guitarist. I know plenty of amazing guitarists who do terrible in music classes. :)
chairface
New Recruit

Post by chairface »

I left high school early on a PSO program (you go to a college or tech school and high school just gives you a diploma) and got certified by COMPTIA, Novell, and others in various IT stuff. From there I got a pretty sweet job at a webdesign company that was run into the ground by poor management (the chucklehead running the place didn't even require customers to sign anything saying they'd actually pay us. Sure enough, someone figured that out and didn't pay us) but I bounced back, got a job as the head (and only) IT employee at a chemical plant. Which went pretty well until I got laid off in the post-9/11 economic crash.

From there I went on a bender for a while, worked some dead end jobs, picked up about a semester and a half of college at Valdosta State University, worked security at a motel for a bit, so forth. Decided to go where the money was, enrolled in a trucking school and got my CDL. Money's great, but the job just didn't suit me, so I dropped that as soon as I'd paid off my debt from going to trucking school in the first place. Decided moving back home with my parents wasn't such a terrible idea, enrolled at the local college, and I'll graduate with an AAS in CIS in May. After that, I'm officially changing my major to Ag Engineering, which is pretty much a technicality at this point, as I haven't actually taken a CIS course in 7 years, and am just getting credited for my tech school classes to satisfy all the major-specific coursework here. I'll spend another year at Abraham Baldwin Agricultural College after this, just to rack up more transfer credits before I head off to whatever 4-year school will give me the most money in scholarships and aid. At the moment, that's looking of U of Arkansas.
Zhen Tong, 21
90-92-51-48-19
Horsemanship II, Qiangshu I, Reactive Defense II, Wedge I
Adranis
Little Goober
Location: Just remember, the low blood pressure demon is writing you up.

Post by Adranis »

I'm currently a sophomore in high school. If I pull through all my crazy classes in the next two years I'm hoping to go to Syracuse for journalism or psych...but I might end up going to med school like my parents want me to... >.<
Qiao Lin (21)
53-44-96*-31-92
Deride III, Diplomat II, Envelop I, Politician II, Propagandist II, Public Planner II, Spy I
Items: Book of Rites (Int+4)

V2: 1 dead, 1 retired, 1 inactive.

<XuQuan> I would be a good houseboy since I don't like wearing clothes.

<Flawed> TEAM FLAWED - We're Wrong, and We Know it, so Screw you.

* Dreamer|Lernen sucks off to rp with no one.
Bourne
Major

Post by Bourne »

I went to High School however I had a ton of problems with both teachers and students alike. More on the former surprisingly. The teachers pretty hated me cause I wouldn't be pushed around. So I failed tests and classes I know I never should have. Hell my grades for middle school were great. I also had a social worker, who the school had my mother force me ta go to. Well they didn't force her but yea... she forced me. Even he said there was something with my grades. So after roughly 30 suspenions in the course of three years, probably more. (I'm not kidding. 30 frigin suspenions or more.), At least half of those suspenions were complete BS but oh well. Oh and a worthless report card for my final year there, Grade nine. I dropped out and took up home schooling.

My marks actually doubled. So I finally got the grades I should have had years ago. (an 80, mostly 90s and even a 100 8-)) I ended up finishing high school two years earlier then I should have because I sped through the courses and did great. So being that I had trouble working here. (was 15 and didn't speak french.) I just decided to relax and take time off from school and work. I could only go to college at 17 anywayz. So now being that I'm 17. I'll be starting a few language courses pretty soon. So I can pick up french, Japanese and possibly Chinese, Germen and a few others. Tho I'm not decided on the latter. I'll also be taking a computer course and plan to either take a business course or learn from my mother. Depending how I feel and money.
Zhào​ Láng​ (赵狼)
Xīng​nù​ (惺怒, Tranquil fury)
63-92-33-49-67
Faze II, Intimidate II, Inspire II, Jianshu II, Wall II, Yueshu I
Ling Fu
Ensign

Post by Ling Fu »

Istanbul wrote:This is from personal experience, but you don't really need school to advance you in music. :)

I find studying music or music theory in school leaves me feeling too traditional or contemporary, and as a musician, I would never following anything we learn in school in my music career. It probably sounds tired, but practice really is the best way to go as a guitarist. I know plenty of amazing guitarists who do terrible in music classes. :)
I do terrible in music classes. I agree there :wink:
Ling Fu, Magistrate of Xiandi, Yin
Gold: 0
Items: Lv1 Sword Shifting Heavens
Command: 49
Might: 90*
Intellect: 48
Judgement: 25
Charm: 93
Fame: 75
Challenge, Enrage, Jianshu, Hearten, Inspire, Rally.

Followers:
Sun Hui(28) 31-48-69-86-64 Enrage II, Wedge I, Dash I, Rally I, Smith I, Marksman I
Shan Yang(35) 54-55-84-51-68 Trainer II, Gongshu I, Entrench I, Formation I, Raid I, Hearten I, Delay I
400 soldiers with drill of 50 equipped with Pi Spears and Leather Armor.
Gong Ao
Officer

Post by Gong Ao »

My job is to sit around all day and do nothing (ie. I'm a public servant).
Cai Xuan;51-41-76-82-33/Civil Administrator II, Engineer II, Jeer I, Poison I, Politician I, Public Planner II, Scribe I
Age 43
600 gold
Follower: Ming Yang(21) 26-60-57-48-85 Intimidate II, Envelop I, Doctor I, Gongshu I, Delay I, Decoy I, Trainer I
Naurek
Sergeant

Post by Naurek »

That's not too bad. At least you can't get fired, and you will get a pension. :)
Huangfu Yuan (46) 71-27-85-90-45 Civil Administrator II, Confuse I, Doctor I, Lure I, Military Administrator II, Public Planner I
Lord of Dicheng
Galagros
Administrator Emeritus

Post by Galagros »

I start college in the fall .. ans still don't really knwo what I'm going to do. :? I'll probably end up taking classes towards accounting, though.
Chen Yu
Officer Info
Tian Dan, King of Qi
Officer Info
Zhong Ce
Officer Info
SleepingDragonZ
Ensign
Location: "Everybody want to go to heaven But nobody want to die" Peter Tosh

Post by SleepingDragonZ »

sorry please DELETE
Feng Jiulong "Nánkàn Feng (Ugly Feng)"
TheComeback
Officer

Post by TheComeback »

Ling Fu wrote:
Istanbul wrote:This is from personal experience, but you don't really need school to advance you in music. :)

I do terrible in music classes. I agree there :wink:
There are some guitar junkies who end up understanding music theory really well, though. I know of a couple who are really smart at theory and are even better guitar players because of it.

Any kind of class you take towards music will make you a better musician, in my opinion.

I'm planning on going to CWU or WSU in Washington for a music performance degree.
<a href="http://simwarlords.net/forum/viewtopic. ... #30390">Ai Tianren </a>(66/Female) | 44-100*-35-78*-80
Jianshu III, Saboteur II, Spy II, Propagandist I, Raid I, Gongshu I