Zhi Cheng's Audience Hall - Jiangcheng

Applications Accepted!

Moderator: Game Masters

Numinous
Lieutenant

Post by Numinous »

(Oh I do remember that. How ironic.)

The lady of Wu shook her head once, her alabaster hair following the motion like a gust of white wind. "You are certainly no simple scholar, sir Hua. Your insights are not to be so easily dismissed..." Zhi Cheng then nodded quietly in acquiescence as he looked upon the city. "I am troubled now for this very reason you speak of -- though my heart wishes to honor my oaths, my reason senses the futility of it. With each battle report I receive I can see the miscalculation that has been made, and the painful choices that are becoming clearer." The woman's voice hardened unusually for a moment, as she continued. "For I am the State -- and every moment I choose to defend my virtue is at the cost of another life of a citizen of Wu. An investment of blood must be made to bear fruit, or else it is surely the path to ruin. If the situation in Huainan does not stabilize in our favor soon, then this sacrifice upon the battlefield will sadly be the last I can make for my friend. The needs of the many will outweigh the needs of the few.. or my personal feelings..."

This seemed to be a very painful fact for the Marchioness to admit, as her strong voice was obviously forced, and her eyes shivered at the thought. "But... should those events come to pass, I will do what I have to do. In a worst-case scenario, the Duke still has Guangling as a redoubt within Wu to fall back upon. And while he is our mutual enemy, Xiang Kai is the greatest anti-Qin power not aligned with the Brotherhood, and to sue for peace with him would seem smartest choice in an objective sense. I may even yet be able to temper his anger against Yue & Changsha if the regime there can be changed through less martial means... for I am well aware that those lands are his ultimate goal in this southern campaign, and the road to such a prize lies through the heart of my domains."

The she frowned slightly. "Yi Lian lost her life trying to stabilize our relations with Xiang Jun and the greater Chu sphere of influence, and while I despise that man for his crimes and advised her not to try such a scheme at her peril, she was ultimately correct in thinking that Chen She should not be our enemy. It is giving Ka Ne and his ilk what they want, a war to keep us weak while they position themselves as the greatest post-Imperial federation."
Yu Cheng (22) 90*-32-42-93*-36
Aid II, Civil Administrator III, Cover I, Dash II, Military Administrator II, Politician I
Cao Chao
Marquis
Location: That which is unknown and unseen always commands the greatest fear.

Post by Cao Chao »

"I am still a simple scholar even if I have earned a degree of fame and merit by my service to the last Kings of Qin and to the Marquis of Jiaodong," he replied, bowing his head in appreciation at the compliments paid by the Marchioness. "In my heart, I hope for nothing more than the opportunity to retire from administrative duties and pass along the teachings and knowledge that I have had the privilege of acquiring in my life." A beatific smile passed onto his features at the thought of such an opportunity passing along what he had learned to the next generation and beyond.

"I hope that my ill-chosen words have not offended Milady," said Hua Jianying, bowing his head. Brushing back a few strands of hair that had escaped from his simple hair bun, the scholar continued. "I do not envy the heavy decision that must be made and I hope that I need not in the foreseeable future have to face such a predicament For the sake of a promise to one deceased, to one beloved, or even to a simple friend, I know that I am willing to cross seas of fire and mountains of blades. But at the same time, I recognize the need for the fostering of humanitarian ideals and for the responsibilities that we hold. I pray that the decision that needs to be made will not prove too taxing upon Milady."

Emitting a sigh, he regarded the Marchioness with eyes filled with compassion and understanding, recognizing the painful choice that she faced. The two choices facing the Marchioness were hardly palpable. On the side, there was the sacrosanct promise to the deceased and the aid freely given to one beloved. On the other, was the survival of the people of Wu.

"If I can be of any assistance to Milady, you can but ask and I will do what I can to help," stated the scholar in a concerned voice. "Even if I am prevented by my duties to the Marquis of Jiaodong to remain as the governor of Jimo, I will do what I can."
Numinous
Lieutenant

Post by Numinous »

The ruler of Jiangcheng bowed her head. "Thank you for your kind offer, my friend. There may yet be a time I hold you to it, should I one day soon find myself adrift from the storm that blows in from the north, ripped from the moorings of Wu by forces greater than myself. To seek political asylum with your master is a distant possibility, but not one I shall exercise unless the situation calls for such dire measures..." Shaking her white-haired head once, she resumed. "But for all your well-intentions, this is ultimately a matter that must be settled within the halls of the southern coasts... I have my duties as you have yours. I would not wish to place an additional burden upon your already heavy shoulders supporting the young lord of Jiaodong in his struggles with your great wisdom."

Zhi Cheng then glanced to the side, stifling a short cough. "This conflict I have become bound to is really a small diversion in the greater whole after all... the insight I truly seek from you, sir Hua, is your opinion on the future of the Brotherhood movement and how I might aid you in rolling back its influence. Though the Duke draws closer to their orbit, it has come to light that they have begun to weaken in recent days. Could there be divisions among Ka Ne's loose coalition that could be exploited, and their unwitting henchmen be made to see the truth of its injustice? The behemoth could easily be turned into a paper tiger overnight, and then made to chase its very tail..."
Aid II, Civil Administrator III, Cover I, Dash II, Military Administrator II, Politician I
Cao Chao
Marquis

Post by Cao Chao »

"What are friends for, Milady?" asked the scholar simply and rhetorically in response to her words of thanks and polite refusals. His face flushed briefly at the compliments paid him by the Marchioness, though it quickly regained its usual color.

"As to the Brotherhood, it is difficult to study their structure, their modus operandi, and their followers," replied Hua Jianying. "But it is clear that underneath their benevolent facade, they pose a grave threat to the Middle Kingdom. The combination of betrayers, barbarians, and fanatics have transformed what was originally a group established upon worthy ideals into a monstrous creation bent upon imposing their will."

He paused briefly to allow his words to sink in. "It would be wrong of me to simply dismiss the Brotherhood as an entity that deserves infamy and suspicion," he conceded with a shrug, "And it is not that I do not believe that the Brotherhood possesses some ideals or beliefs that deserve due consideration. It is my belief that the Brotherhood has lost its way. The suicide of Lao Wangzi at the command of Meng Tian and the failures of the Brotherhood in supporting the Qin created an atmosphere of desperation that allowed for the introduction of unsavory elements. And it is my intense regret that I could not have been a guiding influence upon the Brotherhood when I was offered the chance."

"It is difficult for an outsider to know about the cohesion of the Brotherhood," continued the scholar, switching the topic somewhat. "Having served as a Qin administrator, I have found those who serve Rui Jiao Jin are fanatics who will live and die by the commands of Ka Ne. Beyond these immediate followers within the ranks of the officers of Rui Jiao Jin, there are several clusters of officers who are supporters or adherents of the tenets of the Brotherhood. These groups ostensibly possess ties with the Brotherhood, but it is difficult to discern much beyond the shallow recognition of their affiliation."
Numinous
Lieutenant

Post by Numinous »

"It is much as you say. How ironic it is that the Brotherhood and the Qin that they fight to replace seem so similar now," mused the alabaster skinned-mistress of Wu to her erudite guest. "As to these more unsavory elements, what do you make of the recent betrayal of Bai Zhan of this organization, as the barbarian-queller marches now on Ka Ne and his front woman Rui Jiao Jin holdings with what appears to be little resistance? I would like to believe this is the first signs of the alliance breaking up, but the cautious mind suspects something else may be afoot."

Zhi Cheng shook her head slightly to herself. "Even so, if he were to gain control, then what nobility remains in the tenets of the Brotherhood may be entirely lost... the group may be beyond salvation then. I would almost have to support the Qin in the face of such an opponent, for the apparent cure is now arguably worse than the disease."
Cao Chao
Marquis

Post by Cao Chao »

"Again, it is difficult to say," said Hua Jianying. "I cannot answer to what is happening within the power structure of the Brotherhood. But like any other similar ideologically founded organization, the power dynamics are not sufficiently transparent for outsiders to penetrate and make qualified judgments about. I hope though that the threat that these outsiders pose will be recognized. The borders have been plagued for generations by the threat of barbarian incursions. To invite these barbarians into the Middle Kingdom at a time when there is no central state is to court disaster . . . Only time will tell if these barbarians mean well or ill for the people of the Middle Kingdom."
Xian
New Recruit

Post by Xian »

In the final days of the summer the Prefect of Kuaiji received a letter from his friend summoning him to the northlands to seek out a new business venture. Seeing that the time to call in his end of the bargain with the Marquess Zhi Cheng was at hand, he proceeded to her office with haste. Along with him was another young man with the look of a commander about him, whose purpose was at first a mystery.
Numinous
Lieutenant

Post by Numinous »

The leader of Wu, the weight of current events weighing upon her, was encouraged to see her Prefect and welcomed him inside, though she eyed his guest with a bit of distrust as he entered behind and she nodded her head in acknowledgment. "Greetings, Prefect Mian. Since you have the air of business about you today, I trust this visit is to discuss something of great import?"
Xian
New Recruit

Post by Xian »

Bowing in return to the pale woman, he placed what appeared to be the seal of the city of Kuaiji upon her table courteously. "It has been a pleasure to work with you Lady Zhi, but sadly our partnership has drawn to a close. As was agreed upon in our contract, I am exercising my right to leave your service at this moment. The call of the Twilight summons me to the province of Jibei to aid Yu Yinzi in a new endeavor, and my promises and dealings with her run far deeper than this engagement I am afraid."

He gave a slight smile and then motioned to the man who had followed him inside. "However, it would be rude of me to leave behind a great hole in your personnel ranks, and so as a final gift to you for your hospitality I present to you sir Guan Li, a highly skilled man who would be a suitable replacement. Though young, he is very skilled in government as well as the battlefield... you can trust him as you would me with this sacred duty."
sengoku
New Recruit

Post by sengoku »

"It is good to meet you, Marquess Zhi Cheng, began the man with a very low bow to his future mistress. "If you will but give me a chance, I promise to exceed all of your expectations. My ability to raise both funds and warriors for your cause will no doubt be invaluable for the battles ahead of Wu."