Zhi Cheng's Audience Hall - Jiangcheng

Applications Accepted!

Moderator: Game Masters

ann
Administrator
Administrator

Zhi Cheng's Audience Hall - Jiangcheng

Post by ann »

Amidst the beauty of the coastline, the city of Jiangcheng is no different, having been made a haven for merchants and traders by the forces from Huainan, now under the watchful eye of Marquis Yi Lian's staunch ally, Prefect Zhi Cheng. Though the city is now a bastion of order and the rule of law in the bandit-ridden area, the scholar Lady Zhi has also brought her breed of Qin-style Legalism to the area's institutions of government. The Prefect's mansion itself bears this philosophy, as the more opulent decorations of the previous master have been taken down and replaced with only that which is necessary and functional to the display of state authority. The view is still quite impressive though, and windows allow a good deal of light into the building to offset the spartan decor.

The reclusive Zhi Cheng often confined to the mansion grounds by her personal physician Lou Zao, and rarely makes her presence known to the people other than indirectly through her magistrates and their decrees. The official story explains it as simply ill-health, though there are many rumors among the populace that speak of her as some sort of unearthly spirit sitting in the governor's chair, with hair and skin that are as white as a ghost, and blood-red eyes that see all of men's secrets. The last part is well known, for her intelligence network has eyes and ears everywhere, ever vigilant.

Entrance to the administrative compound is of course highly guarded, and all visitors will be expected to comply with disarmament protocols before entry. The most notable exception, however, is officers of the Marquis of Huainan, which enjoy a special diplomatic immunity from most regulations.
Last edited by ann on Sun Aug 24, 2008 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JCH

Post by JCH »

In the month of October, on the orders of Lady Yi Lian of Huainan, Bao Deng, along with five others, An Qin, Ang Guan, Bing Kong, Bing Xiao, and Lou Zao arrives in Jiangcheng. They entered the newly built hall in Jiangcheng and awaits orders.
ann
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ann »

In the distance a group of riders could be seen approaching the gates of the city. As they neared it became clear that they had traveled some distance. Eventually the riders arrived at the gate. A thin scholarly man dismounted and behind him were two attendants who carried a small chest between them. There were five guards with them but, after a small motion from the scholar, they remained behind, though they did dismount.

After approaching the guards the scholarly young man said, "I am Pan Dao and I come from the King of Chu to bearing a message and gifts for Prefect Zhi."
JCH

Post by JCH »

The guards at the gate looked at each other, a little shocked what was happening in front of them. One of them went inside while the other stepped forward to greet the envoy.

Guard: General Bao Deng is being informed of your arrival, please bear with us.

Minutes later, Bao Deng comes running out.

Bao Deng: My apologies, Lord Pan, Lady Zhi is currently out of the city on a patrol. I am Bao Deng, her lieutenant and right hand man. We are delightfully surprised of your presence.
Numinous
Lieutenant

Post by Numinous »

No sooner had Bao Deng come out to greet the unexpected guests that there was a sight of a small entourage of several guards led by a middle-aged warrior coming their way back into the city and to the Prefect's Mansion. The group surrounded a very slender, waif-like woman in pure white robes, and upon her head was a wide-brimmed hat that partially obscured her facial features. However what was visible indicated she was very pale, and had strange eyes that seemed the color of burgundy wine.

As they came within earshot, the woman heard the name of the King of Chu and spied the chests they were carrying, her interest piqued at what was transpiring and it causing her to increase her pace. Coming upon the visitors, she nodded her head once to Bao Deng. "Sir Bao. Thank you for watching things in my absence." Then she immediately turned her slightly mysterious countenance to Pan Dao and gave him a respectful bow. "Welcome to Jiangcheng, servants of Chu. I am the Lady Zhi Cheng, Prefect of this area. I must say this is a most unexpected visit... but I would be honored to receive you as my guests. Please, if you would follow me inside."

With that the Prefect and her personal doctor Lou Zao took charge of Pan Dao and his cohorts, leading them into the governor's mansion. They were of course run through the standard security checks as they progressed deeper and eventually reached the rather open chamber that the pale-faced minister used for audiences and council gatherings. The guards that were with her went to their posts vigilantly while Zhi Cheng sat down in a comfortable chair near the center, removing the obscuring headwear she had on. Pausing a moment to blot her sweating forehead with a small cloth, the delegation noticed that the short hair that had been hiding beneath it was also an alabaster shade. Perhaps she really was a ghost like the rumors stated... someone so young should not have the lockes of an old mystic.

"Now then," began the Prefect as she regained her composure and gestured for the scholar and his men to be seated. "Pan Dao, was it? Please elaborate more on the tidings you bring me from the King of Chu."
Yu Cheng (22) 90*-32-42-93*-36
Aid II, Civil Administrator III, Cover I, Dash II, Military Administrator II, Politician I
JCH

Post by JCH »

Seeing Lady Zhi Cheng coming back, Bao Deng was indeed relieved. He followed the group into the audience hall.
ann
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ann »

(( When you say 'took charge of' and 'standard security checks' -- I have not agreed to have the chest searched. And if you have taken the delegation prisoner please be clear about that! I'll proceed as if you have not. Thanks :) ))

Pan Dao was surprised by the behavior of the guards - even if they had been surprised he would have expected enough discipline to hide this fact. And, he did not expect them to be surprised. Surely all China had heard of his master and his master's desire to bring peace to the people.

When he saw the Prefect he bowed low and followed her into the city and to the audience hall. He and his attendants carried no weapon however they did not permit the opening of the small chest. When they had reached the Audience Hall, Pan Dao did his best not to stare at the object upon which the Prefect sat. He wondered, to himself, what other wonders there were here.

Pan Dao bowed again and said, "Yes, as you have surmised I am Pan Dao and I am an envoy from the King of Chu who wishes to bring peace to China."

He motioned to the attendant with the chest who opened it revealing a package wrapped in silk. Removing the package Pan Dao said, "The King of Chu has named you Queen of Wu and Huainan. This package contains a scroll making this declaration."

He bowed again.
Numinous
Lieutenant

Post by Numinous »

(Nope, the chest was not searched. And they are most certainly not prisoners! I was merely trying to move this along a bit faster.)

The cushioned seat that she had taken had the looks of a venerable wooden antique from earlier Qin days, reinforced with bronze in places that had a green patina of age. It may have been salvaged from the old capital Xiangyang's numerous palaces and offices that burnt down by the looks of it. As the envoy bowed she nodded in return, then listened while he spoke. Though the words that came out of his mouth seemed to strike her dumb for a moment, her rather calm and business-like expression shifting to barely-contained shock. The Queen of Wu and Huainan? How did he have such authority? And a better question was... why so suddenly and out of the blue?

"I'm of course very... humbled by the King's most generous offer," began Zhi Cheng, as she tried to organize her thoughts into words. "But I am afraid I cannot in good conscience accept such a title... even from the great Chen She. I am merely the Prefect of Jiangcheng, and steward of Wu's security for the Marquis of Huainan Yi Lian. To claim that I am anything else would do her trust in me a great disservice and only add more confusion to an already fractured state..."

Pausing a moment after this declaration of fact, her gaze did soften a bit, her eyes falling back upon the package he carried. "But I am not entirely ungrateful for your lord's sentiments..."
Aid II, Civil Administrator III, Cover I, Dash II, Military Administrator II, Politician I
ann
Administrator
Administrator

Post by ann »

Pan Dao bowed and said, "His Majesty, the King of Chu, understands that many in the region feel threatened by this Yi Lian who seems to have gathered many bandit gangs together to terrorize the populace of the region. He hoped that you would take on the task of dealing with this grave situation but knew that it was possible that you were yourself too frightened."

He rewrapped the scroll and placed it in the chest and then said, "We've taken enough of your time, Prefect."
Numinous
Lieutenant

Post by Numinous »

"...Wait," decreed the Prefect, as her rather quiet voice becoming louder briefly in an exercise of authority. Her soft look from before hardened, a drawn face once again reappeared on the very pale countenance. "Allow me to make one thing clear to you, before you go. While I may be a vassal of the Marquis and owe my position to her generosity, please do not assume that I share all of her views. I am well aware of the fact she has consorted with mercenaries in the past to supplement her own forces, and such a miscalculation resulted in the sacking of Huaiyin. She also even now attempts to win the favor of the bandit Huan Chu, whose highwaymen saw fit to pillage my former town of Yutai..."

Pausing to close her eyes, the Prefect sighed. "I have not forgiven nor forgotten this fact, and view the Marquis' actions with extreme regret in this regard. My house was one of the most loyal of the Qin's Legalist scholars, and though the dynasty fell because of inept leadership and failed policies, I do not believe it's replacement will rise out of the lawlessness which prevails now. I am doing all I can to make sure Lady Yi Lian tries to rule with an even hand and refrains from such alliances in the future."

Turning her gaze back unto the envoy, she spoke again firmly. "You may call it weakness, but I regret that this is all I can promise the great King of Chu at this time... surely you can see that anything else is political suicide."