Fei Lak's Audience Hall - Shanggu

Applications Accepted!

Moderator: Game Masters

Cao Chao
Marquis
Location: That which is unknown and unseen always commands the greatest fear.

Post by Cao Chao »

"My Lord Duke, the food is getting cold," said the swordsman, as he waved his hand at the platters of food arrayed on the table. "Please sit down stalwart," continued the swordsman, referring to the bodyguard, Zhao Khan. "We can discuss this further as we talk . . . and if you like some alcohol, that can be arranged." Picking up his chopsticks, he waited for the Duke of Yan to do the same before he began to eat.
Phailak
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Phailak »

Lak nodded for Khan to join them before partaking in some of the dishes offered them.

"Forgive me Master Xian, I am like a child meeting a hero, I forget my manners. This tea is fine, perhaps Khan would enjoy some wine?"

Smiling, the Duke took a moment to relax and enjoy the food. With all the recent events, he could not remember the last time he had done so. He waited for the swordsman to resume the conversation.
Cao Chao
Marquis

Post by Cao Chao »

"A child meeting a hero? What do you mean, my Lord Duke," asked the swordsman with a frown, his hand pausing briefly in midair. "I am not a man who has performed many deeds that are recorded in the annals of history, but a wandering swordsman who has traveled the lands without end. I am sure that the merit of even your bodyguard, here, outweighs what little that I have accrued in my longer life."
Phailak
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Phailak »

"Well, to me, a hero is not always measured in deeds or accomplishments, however I was referring to my excitement as opposed to a reference to your heroism. You see, I pride myself on my knowledge of the men of this land, I spend a lot of resources on information. What I do know for fact is that you can help us greatly in our struggles, so your mere presence here offers hope for our future in Yan. Should you accept to help us in our ambitions, I cannot foresee weakness in our plans. The little I do know of you, I have the impression you deserve a man to be honest and direct with you and not attempt to lure you into a false sense of security."
Mikal
Marquis

Post by Mikal »

"I appreciate the offer, but my place is not at my lord's side, but behind it." he says simply.

"You are an honorable warrior, and I know my Lord is safe in your presence, but in this day and age danger comes from all sides. Sitting down, I would be remiss in my duty." Bowing respectfully, he remained standing, letting the two speak.
The Wiseman Cometh...
Zhefu, 37, Male
52-39-62-91-64
Civil Administrator III, Military Administrator II, Diplomat II, Politician II
Cao Chao
Marquis

Post by Cao Chao »

Phailak wrote:"Well, to me, a hero is not always measured in deeds or accomplishments, however I was referring to my excitement as opposed to a reference to your heroism. You see, I pride myself on my knowledge of the men of this land, I spend a lot of resources on information. What I do know for fact is that you can help us greatly in our struggles, so your mere presence here offers hope for our future in Yan. Should you accept to help us in our ambitions, I cannot foresee weakness in our plans. The little I do know of you, I have the impression you deserve a man to be honest and direct with you and not attempt to lure you into a false sense of security."
"For all of your pronouncements that you speak the truth, I detect falsehoods in your sentences, my Lord Duke," replied the swordsman, his voice calm and without a trace of emotion. "I do not like to be lied to. It is clear to me that you know who I am . . . Why else would you be willing to meet me in this inn even though I am an assassin?"

"If you cannot foresee any weakness in your plans, then you have not planned for all exigencies," replied the swordsman, nearly snorting in disbelief. "There is no foolproof plan. As the saying goes, 'all of man's calculations cannot hope to match those made by the Heavens.' To believe otherwise shows only arrogance."
Mikal
Marquis

Post by Mikal »

Cao Chao wrote:
Phailak wrote:"Well, to me, a hero is not always measured in deeds or accomplishments, however I was referring to my excitement as opposed to a reference to your heroism. You see, I pride myself on my knowledge of the men of this land, I spend a lot of resources on information. What I do know for fact is that you can help us greatly in our struggles, so your mere presence here offers hope for our future in Yan. Should you accept to help us in our ambitions, I cannot foresee weakness in our plans. The little I do know of you, I have the impression you deserve a man to be honest and direct with you and not attempt to lure you into a false sense of security."
"For all of your pronouncements that you speak the truth, I detect falsehoods in your sentences, my Lord Duke," replied the swordsman, his voice calm and without a trace of emotion. "I do not like to be lied to. It is clear to me that you know who I am . . . Why else would you be willing to meet me in this inn even though I am an assassin?"

"If you cannot foresee any weakness in your plans, then you have not planned for all exigencies," replied the swordsman, nearly snorting in disbelief. "There is no foolproof plan. As the saying goes, 'all of man's calculations cannot hope to match those made by the Heavens.' To believe otherwise shows only arrogance."
"Then perhaps I can share some weaknesses of milords plans." the warrior says dryly.

"Mainly, it is the fact we are surrounded by enemies, enemies which outnumber us. Because of that, a man of your talents is much like we are now. Powerful, but if not careful, to be drowned in a sea of bodies and lesser enemies."

He clears his throat.

"That is why you would be needed. Not only on the battlefield, but off. I have helped secure my lord from threats, but I am an obvious warrior." he chuckles, the golden sheen on his armor gleaming in the sun.

"You... are a shadow warrior. Your skills take you places I can never go, while also giving you strength on the field of battle. With you at milord's side, he would be safer then ever before, and our enemies weaker."
The Wiseman Cometh...
Zhefu, 37, Male
52-39-62-91-64
Civil Administrator III, Military Administrator II, Diplomat II, Politician II
Phailak
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Phailak »

Lak smiled sadly.

"I don't lie Master Swordsman, it is a fault that I have for a man in my position. I am a man of little talent, my best quality is my ability to gather men together so they can accomplish what needs to be done. We have studied our recent battles as well as those of others and have identified weaknesses. It is our belief that only one remains now and that can be amended by your will to join our cause. If you do, it is my belief that we have done everything possible to stem the possibility of defeat. Is it possible that our enemy will find fault in our plans? Of course. Is it possible some natural or random event will alter that perfection I seek in battle? It is a definite possibility. Yet I stand by my statement, should you join us, I cannot foresee any weakness in our plans for we will have accounted for everything we can think of. If you do not, or an important piece of our plans be removed or the Heavens decide to destroy us in the morning, then I can only try to adapt as well as I can to those circumstances which were impossible for me to foresee..."

The Duke thought for a moment before continuing.

"What you can provide for me on the battlefield I have tried to acquire before and failed after my battle with the Prefect of Donga Cai Xingzhe, perhaps that makes me desperate. Though they are only words, I can promise you my only motive here today is to secure your services."
Cao Chao
Marquis

Post by Cao Chao »

The swordsman fixed the Duke of Yan with a baleful look, though he made no sign of hostile action, disinclined to do so as long as Fei Lak was his guest. Quietly, he spoke, his voice a bare whisper over the conversations that permeated the inn. "I discern that there are things that you have chosen not to reveal, Duke," said the swordsman, "You have spoken of using my talents as a vessel to use a potent artifact from the Shang to further your goals. And I have discerned that you have spoken falsehoods. I have spent scant months in the service of Xiong Xushou and then Jin Kai, too little for a mere wanderer to have any hope of making a name for himself. You undoubtedly must know who I am."
Phailak
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Phailak »

The Duke took a few moments to think about his answer, not to disguise it or embellish but simply because his host put so much emphasis on them.
Perhaps the swordsman had detected an omission? Squinting, Lak continued.

"The first time I heard of you was from an envoy. He reported that you were defiant, almost hostile towards our force because of the way he conducted himself. It is not uncommon for me to hear such reports as information is important to me, to know the men that serve allies and foes. Jin Kai was my former mentor, he did not agree with my ambitions and the way we seemed to seek war against others, yet we spoke on a regular basis and the master disappointed the student when he so cowardly handed over his responsabilities to Yin. He spoke of you when I requested an evaluation of his men, in case there would be a need for battle. He knew little of you himself, yet he had a profound respect for your abilities."

Again Lak took his time to remember the details.

"Later, you led a force to help us crush Lu Ying in Jibei, the plan was to ensure she would not help Yin in their plans. After some confusion when I thought they would welcome the slaughter, they never presented themselves on the field. Some of my men saw how you conducted yourself, Luo Xiao especially was marked by your presence on the field."

With what he tried to be his most sincere look, the Duke continued.

"Finally, when I heard you had refused to serve under Yin, I attempted to track you down myself, though I do not believe it is by my request you are here today. Look at me Master Xian, my strongest asset are my words, if you would not believe what comes from my mouth, I do not have a chance to convince you. If you truly believe I know who you are, why not reveal your identity? It is not my business or goal to find out your past or divine your intentions, simply your word that you will help us or your refusal for your own reasons, I cannot ask for more than that."