Xiang Kai's Audience Hall - Dingtao

Applications Accepted!

Moderator: Game Masters

Naxr
Colonel

Post by Naxr »

He watched the man speak with some concern, raising his eyes when he coughed, "Well, I imagine you must have impressed someone for word to get out," his look of alarm changed to a smile as he said this. "Would you like some hot tea? Perhaps that may help with the coughing?" he quickly let out, attempting to pull on what little knowledge he had about medicine.

"Anyways, as for my officers, I suppose the main common characteristic is their dedication to serving the people, but this is more of a consequence of our hiring policies. The officers we have have not joined Liang for the sake of their own personal wealth and ambitions. We simply do not make great offers of gold and rank to those we try to recruit. Of course, this has in the past turned many potential recruits away from Liang, but this means that those who do join stay and work not for material gain, but for the sake of the people. I myself take no salary, and I think my men see this and take something from it. Of course, we do offer rank and reward, not for simply joining our cause but in order to better serve the people. Only recently a man we hired perhaps only a month ago attained the rank of Magistrate so as to give him the authority to better manage the affairs of a city he was tasked to govern. But, I'm just rambling now. I hope my answer satisfies you?"
Freefall
Major

Post by Freefall »

Naxr wrote:Freefall

The guard answered the envoy, "You may come in to see the Duke, but your men must wait here for the duration of your visit. Will you follow me?"
The captain nodded to his men and all of them, him included waited where they were told to do so. The envoy himself followed the guard as instructed.
Jiang Sei (35)
Stats: 90-83*-53-42-79*
Skills: Charge II, Discipline II, Inspire II, Instructor I, Jueshu I, Military Administrator II, Qianshu I, Raid I
Naxr
Colonel

Post by Naxr »

"OK, come," he turned and motioned with his left hand for the envoy to follow. Assuming he does so, the two head up the steps and through the entrance of the audience hall. After a short walk through a hallway or two, they come into an enormous room, bustling with activity. There are soldiers, civil officials, and all sorts of others walking about through the room, chatting quietly with one another over some business or another matter. The guard leads the envoy to the other side of the room where they come upon a man sitting on a throne up on a dais, surrounded by guards on either side. The guard stops at a point about twenty paces away from the throne, directly facing it. Xiang Kai gazes upon the guard and the visitor, nodding for the man to speak. "An envoy comes from Huainan, representing Jiang Sei."

Kai's eyes opened wide, fixing his glance upon the envoy, "Yes?"
Swashbuckler
Officer

Post by Swashbuckler »

Naxr wrote:stuff about, like helping the people or something.
When he was asked about tea, Gao Liang simply replied, "Getting old sucks. I'll deal with it." He listened to the rest, showing the usual amount of interest.

"Bah, trinkets and wealth are for young men. I've already buried my sons. That which I cannot pass on has little meaning to me. Then again, helping the people means little to me as well." The corners of his mouth lifted slightly into what was almost a smile, but really wasn't for the extreme lack of cheer. "People are easy to please; most of them never look beyond their bowls. If the bowls are full, they'll be happy enough, no matter what is going on around them."

He tapped his fingers on the glass for a moment, but did not pick it up. "Dratted numbness," he mumbled to himself. Looking back up, he said, "What I am really looking for is quite simple. I'm not interested in money or rank or any of that junk. I'm also not interested in helping the people, as for all I care they can rot. Well, maybe that's putting it a bit strongly, but suffice it to say it isn't high on my priority list. What I am interested in is this. I am already in my twilight years. I am most interested in spending the little time I have left around interesting people who can brighten this ordure pit we call 'life' just a little bit. Now, I got an interesting letter from a representative of this 'Ying Huhai' or whoever. She sounded interesting. Too bad I wish nothing on the Qin but eternal suffering, and I'd take that myself over working for them.."

"So I ask you this. Are your officers particularly interesting people?"

He waited for an answer.
Naxr
Colonel

Post by Naxr »

"Are they interesting?" he asked himself as he brought his left hand up to rest his chin on. "Naturally, I would say they are. But I will try to approach your question objectively without getting too much into the details. My work doesn't allow me too much time to socialize with my men, so unfortunately I cannot tell you about all of them in great detail, so I try to do what I can to give them justice. Two of my cousins serve here, Pen and Shang Sun. Pen is a more distant cousin, but I've known Shang Sun since sh...eh," he stopped to scratch the back of his head, "since he was but a boy. He is an interesting character," he said the last sentence slowly, nodding to himself.

"You will have to meet him to understand. He is becoming quite the writer nowadays. But anyways, now, let's see. We have officers who come from all over, for example there are several men in our ranks who have come from the east, our Prefect Hoshino Akane and General Soto Fukudome. Perhaps you may have heard of the general's recent exploits on the battlefield? I was able to spend some time with the general tending to his wounds. Going on, I find myself at a loss for how to explain all of this. I'd say if you really wanted to know, you should meet with them. Are you interested in doing this?"
Freefall
Major

Post by Freefall »

Naxr wrote:"OK, come," he turned and motioned with his left hand for the envoy to follow. Assuming he does so, the two head up the steps and through the entrance of the audience hall. After a short walk through a hallway or two, they come into an enormous room, bustling with activity. There are soldiers, civil officials, and all sorts of others walking about through the room, chatting quietly with one another over some business or another matter. The guard leads the envoy to the other side of the room where they come upon a man sitting on a throne up on a dais, surrounded by guards on either side. The guard stops at a point about twenty paces away from the throne, directly facing it. Xiang Kai gazes upon the guard and the visitor, nodding for the man to speak. "An envoy comes from Huainan, representing Jiang Sei."

Kai's eyes opened wide, fixing his glance upon the envoy, "Yes?"
The envoy bowed his head as he addressed the Duke.

Envoy: Duke Xiang, you had a mandate to dispose of Lady Yi from the province of Huainan. She has since been disposed, a matter of which we informed you. Still our provinces were forced to clash because you wish to wage war on Yue. King Chen has offered support to our Marqius, and we wish to know what your intentions are. We only want peace, and my lord is willing to meet with you to talk about such efforts.
Jiang Sei (35)
Skills: Charge II, Discipline II, Inspire II, Instructor I, Jueshu I, Military Administrator II, Qianshu I, Raid I
Swashbuckler
Officer

Post by Swashbuckler »

Naxr wrote:"Yeah, we got a few interesting people around."
Gao Liang thought for a moment. King Xiang had almost said 'she' when referring to Shang Sun...an effeminate young man? A crossdresser? That could be unique. And eastern barbarian generals...well, the Qi bowed before the Qin, and the Qin were little better than barbarians. How bad could they be? They were probably indoors-trained anyway.

He slowly nodded. "Yes, I think I would like that very much indeed. How better, to know if there are indeed people of interest here?"
Zhang Yen
Officer

Post by Zhang Yen »

Jiang Xi and his three companions arrived before the audience hall of Ding Tao, dirtied and exhausted. The group of four had traveled nonstop for days, and were denied rest until they had reached their destiny. There were few complaints heard from his group, considering how only the logical words of Tai Wei prevented a headlong charge into enemy ranks at Wei. Furious as he was, dying would've been detrimental to exacting revenge against those who had wronged him, and he understood that the support of a duke would serve his purposes.

Xiutong made no effort to clean himself up as he approached the guards,

"I'm here to speak to the duke."
Jiang Xi (27), styled Xiutong//100*-68-70-80*-24]
[Envelop II, Military Administrator II, Sortie II, Wall II]
[Military Methods of Sun Bin (Com+5), The Analects (Com+3, Jud+3)]
Naxr
Colonel

Post by Naxr »

Freefall

"Our intentions? Well, first off, would you like something to drink? I am sure one can get quite thirsty after a long voyage. Oh yes, our intentions though. Well, in these times, life can be very uncertain, very uncertain indeed," he said with a smile.

Swashbuckler

"Alright," he nodded. "I shall send for someone." He waved his hand to one of the guards, who walked in to see what was required of him.

"Find one our ministers or generals, and bring him or her here."

"Yes, sir," the guard said as he then rushed out to do as was asked.

Zhang Yen

"Ummm... Sure, just follow me this way," one of the guards answered him. Assuming he follows, he is led into the building's large doors, into the hall. After walking through a hallway or two, they enter into a large room filled with people, ministers, generals, soldiers and the like. The guard leads the man up to a spot about twenty paces from a dais, on top of which was a throne. Sitting on that throne sat Xiang Kai. Beside him stood several guards on each side. The guard announced to him, "My lord, this man here wishes to speak to you."

Kai looks at the man, "Yes?"
Freefall
Major

Post by Freefall »

The envoy bowed his head once more in gratitude to the Duke. Diplomacy always required the respect of ones station and the visting official knew the mans station was much higher that his.

Envoy: My gratitude for your kindess Duke Xiang, however I am fine. As uncertain as times may be, it is important for men to understand one another. It is my masters wish for our two forces to understand the needs and desires of eachother so that more bloodshed can be avioded.
Jiang Sei (35)