The Library of Zhongxin Zhishi

OOC Thread, General Roleplay, Tavern, Public Dueling

Moderator: Game Masters

osiris
Major

Re: The Library of Zhongxin Zhishi

Post by osiris »

Brother Dun wrote:
The scholar smiled slyly at the boy's last question, "You assume correctly, young man. I used my position within the Qin government to secure books and secreted them away. They were to be destroyed by the First Emperor's purging of the Hundred Schools of Thought, I managed to get myself on a few of his destruction crews and saved several books. Unfortunately, the scholars who owned the books were beyond rescue... Once they had been found out, they were doomed."

The headmaster paused once more, "I figured that, at the very least, these scholars would want their works and beliefs preserved, rather than lost forever. Perhaps an even riskier move I made to amass this emporium of knowledge... I am not too proud of. When my parents died tragically, I buried myself within literature, to help me through my mourning. It was also during this time that I realized many of my peers and the guards of the royal libraries took pity upon me... So I managed to spirit away a few of the forbidden books from Qin Shihuangdi's own collection! Right out from underneath him!"
Xinrichu nodded as he heard the story. Even though it was incredible, it was honestly not too farfetched, at least not these days. "Yes, it is a shame that such knowledge was so relentlessly pursued from the middle kingdom. Consolidation can come with far too steep a price, it seems."

Xinrichu thought this man must have had some talent, if not quite some use and power to be able to pull all of this off. His story no doubt was an intriguing one. "Fascinating. This is quite a task you have done. To accumulate so many books, and some from even the most secure of locations no doubt took talent and audacity. I applaud you for it."
He paused, making his conversation slant with some intrigue, "I must ask then, you no doubt have a fascinating story, serving the Qin, amassing knowledge, traversing through tragedy, is your story contained within these halls?"
"A man will not give his life for a half pence, you have to speak to his soul, electrify him." Napoleon Bonaparte

Fasho Baipan zi Xinrichu 60-39-42-71-90
Civil Administrator II, Deride, Diplomat, Military Administrator II, Haste, Poison, Politician, Propagandist, Rally II, Saboteur
Age 14
Followers: Shun Xuan(22) 56-38-70-60-45 skills in OI
Cheng Linpeng(36) 49-64-70-77-75 skills in OI
Yang Jian(17) 50-54-58-76-67 skills in OI
Brother Dun
Marquis

Post by Brother Dun »

Cloud Strife wrote:Ji Qing stifled a yawn and proceeded to saunter along towards Zu Yanghei. "Greetings good sir, my name is Ji Qing and this is my... friend, Kang Xingtu. We come by way of Chu and i'm interested if you have any specific documentation related to Li Si's suppression of the Hundred Schools as well as the service records of Meng Tian. From what I hear you're the man that carted off the records of the Imperial Court. I don't know how you managed to do it but from the looks of things you had quite a bit of help. Not much escaped the flames after all..."
The scholar turned to the stranger a moment, a bit of a surprised look on his face. He was left wondering how this man could know so much about him, "Welcome to my humble village Ji Qing and Kang Xingtu, I am glad that you were both able to make it. As for documentation related to Li Si, you may wish to visit the Qin history section. I have quite the selection of books there. As for managing to save some of these tomes from the fire, I must admit, I used my position as a Qin official to save most of them. And I had very little help, it has been a long and arduous task. As for records of the Imperial Court, I cannot say that I have any. I unfortunately did not think to save them from the fires that Xiang Yu brought," he said, his voice growing steadily colder as he approached his final words, "You have traveled a long way from Chu to come here, perhaps you would like to have a seat and chat near the fire?"
Zhou Kahn wrote:Mai Zu had made the long journey to Zhongxin Zhishi in a quick fashion. Her curiosity might one day kill her, but in this instance, she had decided against not listening to her inner self. She couldn't help it. Besides that, she had done some research about the library there after receiving a letter of invitation to go and meet with the head librarian there. So here she was, a day after arriving, to allow herself to rest. Now she was entering the library, her guards left to enjoy the village, ensured that she was safe in the place. Upon entering, she spoke quietly to the first person she found, curtsying before she spoke.

Mai Zu: "Excuse me, I am looking for Zu Yanghei. Do you know where I can find him?"
Mai Zu happened to stop one of the restoration scribes as he was on his way back to his desk, "Very busy... Yes, busy! Much work to be done! The headmaster you say? Ah, yes, he can be found over there," the scribe said, gesturing towards an area near the back of the library. A middle-aged man was currently sitting upon a stool, his nose buried in a book, "That's him, over there," the scribe said rather hurriedly before heading off back to his station.
osiris wrote:Xinrichu nodded as he heard the story. Even though it was incredible, it was honestly not too farfetched, at least not these days. "Yes, it is a shame that such knowledge was so relentlessly pursued from the middle kingdom. Consolidation can come with far too steep a price, it seems."

Xinrichu thought this man must have had some talent, if not quite some use and power to be able to pull all of this off. His story no doubt was an intriguing one. "Fascinating. This is quite a task you have done. To accumulate so many books, and some from even the most secure of locations no doubt took talent and audacity. I applaud you for it."
He paused, making his conversation slant with some intrigue, "I must ask then, you no doubt have a fascinating story, serving the Qin, amassing knowledge, traversing through tragedy, is your story contained within these halls?"
The scholar nodded at the boys words, "Indeed, consolidation has perhaps robbed us of many great works, and ways of thinking. It is both a blessing and a terrible curse."

At the mention of his own story, the scholar smirked a bit, "I am afraid that my story has not quite reached these hallowed walls. Perhaps someday once I am old and tired, I shall set myself to recording what exactly it took to create this haven of knowledge. However, I am afraid, I simply have not had the time, nor do I find myself worthy of such high praise. Tell me young man, perhaps you would like to inform me of your story? It is very rare to find someone so young so interested in learning. I myself once had a desire to read and learn like yours when I was your age, however, most of my peers chose to spend their time elsewhere. You are of a special ilk."
Zu Yanghei zì 智盜 'Zhì​dào​' (Knowledge Thief)
Zhou Kahn
Officer

Post by Zhou Kahn »

Mai Zu happened to stop one of the restoration scribes as he was on his way back to his desk, "Very busy... Yes, busy! Much work to be done! The headmaster you say? Ah, yes, he can be found over there," the scribe said, gesturing towards an area near the back of the library. A middle-aged man was currently sitting upon a stool, his nose buried in a book, "That's him, over there," the scribe said rather hurriedly before heading off back to his station.
Mai Zu thanked the man, whether he was still close enough to hear her or not by the time she said it. Suddenly a bit nervous, Zu took a breath and then made her way to the headmaster. The place was quiet, eerie quiet, so that her footsteps seemed to reverberate in her ears. Even in the scribe school she had attended, there was always some noise going on. Approaching the man, she spoke softly, but just loudly enough so the man would hear her.

Mai Zu: "Excuse me, Headmaster Zu Yanghei?"
Mai Zu
Stats: 51-75-75-75-56
Skills: Artisan II, Civil Administrator II, Engineer II, Scribe III, Smith II, Trainer II
Mai Zu's Shop of Wonder
Cloud Strife
Captain

Post by Cloud Strife »

Brother Dun wrote:The scholar turned to the stranger a moment, a bit of a surprised look on his face. He was left wondering how this man could know so much about him, "Welcome to my humble village Ji Qing and Kang Xingtu, I am glad that you were both able to make it. As for documentation related to Li Si, you may wish to visit the Qin history section. I have quite the selection of books there. As for managing to save some of these tomes from the fire, I must admit, I used my position as a Qin official to save most of them. And I had very little help, it has been a long and arduous task. As for records of the Imperial Court, I cannot say that I have any. I unfortunately did not think to save them from the fires that Xiang Yu brought," he said, his voice growing steadily colder as he approached his final words, "You have traveled a long way from Chu to come here, perhaps you would like to have a seat and chat near the fire?"
"I prefer to stand, i've been sitting around in a carriage for the past week. I do enjoy a good walk, neh? Well," and the scholar let the faintest smile appear on his face, "if the archives are not to be found here then might you remember any personal anecdotes or stories about either Li Si or Meng Tian? A first-hand account would actually be better for the history I am creating. I was pointed towards your establishment through some interviews I undertook of war refugees in Chen. Fascinating stories, the entire lot of them."

"Some times it's difficult to sort fact from fiction, hardly could believe the stories that a former bureaucrat had set up an establishment in the boondocks. Yet here it is. Quite, fascinating."
Name: Ji Qing, Male (Born 228 B.C.) [18-58-106*-42-79]
Items: Book + 7 INT "Sān Mín Zhǔyì", Book + 7 INT "A Song of Ice and Fire"
Skills: Confuse II, Decoy II, Jeer II, Public Planner II
Brother Dun
Marquis

Post by Brother Dun »

Zhou Kahn wrote:Mai Zu thanked the man, whether he was still close enough to hear her or not by the time she said it. Suddenly a bit nervous, Zu took a breath and then made her way to the headmaster. The place was quiet, eerie quiet, so that her footsteps seemed to reverberate in her ears. Even in the scribe school she had attended, there was always some noise going on. Approaching the man, she spoke softly, but just loudly enough so the man would hear her.

Mai Zu: "Excuse me, Headmaster Zu Yanghei?"
The scribe, just at the edge of hearing Mai Zu, turned his head and gave her a smile, before hustling back off to his work. As she spoke out to the man reading, he slowly turned his gaze upwards to meet hers. After a moment, a smile crept across his face, "Ahhh, a new visitor to this center of learning. Indeed, a rarity in these parts now a days. I am indeed Zu Yanghei, welcome to this library," the man paused a moment, a thought churning in his head, finally putting two and two together, "Oh, might you be the Lady Mai Zu?"
Cloud Strife wrote:"I prefer to stand, i've been sitting around in a carriage for the past week. I do enjoy a good walk, neh? Well," and the scholar let the faintest smile appear on his face, "if the archives are not to be found here then might you remember any personal anecdotes or stories about either Li Si or Meng Tian? A first-hand account would actually be better for the history I am creating. I was pointed towards your establishment through some interviews I undertook of war refugees in Chen. Fascinating stories, the entire lot of them."

"Some times it's difficult to sort fact from fiction, hardly could believe the stories that a former bureaucrat had set up an establishment in the boondocks. Yet here it is. Quite, fascinating."
The scholar gave a nod to the man, and smiled, "Very well, let us have a walk? Perhaps a tour of the place, yes?"

The scholar began walking, at a leisurely pace, to allow his visitor to ask about Li Si and Meng Tian, "I wouldn't necessarily call my village the boondocks, but yes, it is quite far from Chu. As for the Minister Li Si and the General Meng Tian, I have made the acquaintance of the Minister Li on a few occasions, however, it was normally brief. He was quite the busy man, I must say. However, I did have the pleasure of being recruited into the bureaucracy by one of his personal assistants, which did allow me some modicum of respect from the Great Minister. As for the General Meng, I am afraid I never met with him. He was always off too busy fighting for the First Emperor, or building the Great Wall. I do, however, have several manuscripts written by Li Si, that he had donated to the library. Unfortunately, they are not originals, copies that I managed to make, a few pages a time."
Zhou Kahn
Officer

Post by Zhou Kahn »

The scribe, just at the edge of hearing Mai Zu, turned his head and gave her a smile, before hustling back off to his work. As she spoke out to the man reading, he slowly turned his gaze upwards to meet hers. After a moment, a smile crept across his face, "Ahhh, a new visitor to this center of learning. Indeed, a rarity in these parts now a days. I am indeed Zu Yanghei, welcome to this library," the man paused a moment, a thought churning in his head, finally putting two and two together, "Oh, might you be the Lady Mai Zu?"
Mai Zu nodded, curtsying quickly, before speaking again.

Mai Zu: "I am sir. I feel I need to apologize however. The first letter I sent you wasn't exactly proper."

She gave a weak smile then, hoping he hadn't taken offense to her ignorant suspicions.

((sorry its short, trying to keep my mind off other things but its not working the best -.-))
Mai Zu
Skills: Artisan II, Civil Administrator II, Engineer II, Scribe III, Smith II, Trainer II
Mai Zu's Shop of Wonder
osiris
Major

Post by osiris »

Brother Dun wrote:
The scholar nodded at the boys words, "Indeed, consolidation has perhaps robbed us of many great works, and ways of thinking. It is both a blessing and a terrible curse."

At the mention of his own story, the scholar smirked a bit, "I am afraid that my story has not quite reached these hallowed walls. Perhaps someday once I am old and tired, I shall set myself to recording what exactly it took to create this haven of knowledge. However, I am afraid, I simply have not had the time, nor do I find myself worthy of such high praise. Tell me young man, perhaps you would like to inform me of your story? It is very rare to find someone so young so interested in learning. I myself once had a desire to read and learn like yours when I was your age, however, most of my peers chose to spend their time elsewhere. You are of a special ilk."
"Thank you." he paused.
A neutral expression came over Xinrichu's face. "Well, unfortunately there is not much to tell. The Fasho family never held any import, serving in semi-elevated positions such as soldiers and farmers, until my father married into a slightly more prestigious family." He continued on with little enthusiasm, "My mother died in childbirth, and I came into the world in the beginning of the new year. My father spent the next decade trying to further himself, until local officials caught him participating in sordid deals and," he paused for a brief moment, taking in some air, making the sentence seem disjointed, "had him executed in the public square of Yuan. My grandfathers both passed on, and all relatives within the city of Yuan were too distant or poor to live with, so I reside with a cousin on my mother's side, in Luoyang"

A spark of animation returned to him, "So you see it is a short and uninteresting tale. At this juncture in time reading, study , and the gradual accumulation of an army are things I must do to liven up my family history a little." He took noticeable more pride and interest in talking of the future.
"A man will not give his life for a half pence, you have to speak to his soul, electrify him." Napoleon Bonaparte

Civil Administrator II, Deride, Diplomat, Military Administrator II, Haste, Poison, Politician, Propagandist, Rally II, Saboteur
Age 14
Brother Dun
Marquis

Post by Brother Dun »

Zhou Kahn wrote:Mai Zu nodded, curtsying quickly, before speaking again.

Mai Zu: "I am sir. I feel I need to apologize however. The first letter I sent you wasn't exactly proper."

She gave a weak smile then, hoping he hadn't taken offense to her ignorant suspicions.

((sorry its short, trying to keep my mind off other things but its not working the best -.-))
The scholar thought for a moment, recalling the words of her first letter, and indeed, it was less than proper. Noticing her discomfort at the circumstances, he flashed her a smile, "Ah... Well, my letter to you was vague on purpose, lady Mai. I can see how someone may assume my reasons nefarious... Of course, you were quite bold to respond with such thoughts. I must admit, I was a bit taken aback at first... But time heals most wounds."

The scholar finished his sentence and stood up. He looked at the lady and gave her a slight bow, as was proper, before flashing a smile. He extended his arms out to showcase the library, "Tell me lady Mai... What is it that you think of this place? What is your opinion of a vast repository of knowledge, knowledge both great a small, both common and nearly extinct?"
osiris wrote:"Thank you." he paused.
A neutral expression came over Xinrichu's face. "Well, unfortunately there is not much to tell. The Fasho family never held any import, serving in semi-elevated positions such as soldiers and farmers, until my father married into a slightly more prestigious family." He continued on with little enthusiasm, "My mother died in childbirth, and I came into the world in the beginning of the new year. My father spent the next decade trying to further himself, until local officials caught him participating in sordid deals and," he paused for a brief moment, taking in some air, making the sentence seem disjointed, "had him executed in the public square of Yuan. My grandfathers both passed on, and all relatives within the city of Yuan were too distant or poor to live with, so I reside with a cousin on my mother's side, in Luoyang"

A spark of animation returned to him, "So you see it is a short and uninteresting tale. At this juncture in time reading, study , and the gradual accumulation of an army are things I must do to liven up my family history a little." He took noticeable more pride and interest in talking of the future.
The scholar nodded at the boy, "Your family's story is not entirely uninteresting. Perhaps the word you seek is humble. Your father attempted to raise his stature and was caught, sold out by rivals. It is a common occurrence in courtier life. As for trying to liven up your life... Have you ever perhaps thought of finding a tutor? Or perhaps a lord to serve? And, if you are lucky enough, perhaps both?"

The scholar paused for a moment and strode to a nearby bookshelf, pulling a single tome from the shelf, "This book, is the biography of the First Emperor. If you have a desire to liven your life, take heart of his story. He was sent into captivity as a young man, and essentially tortured on a daily basis by the royal family of Zhao. He was returned home upon the death of his father, and then abused by Lu Buwei, the regent of his reign. It was these injustices that molded him into a man that would eventually conquer all of the Middle Kingdom. Read this biography, and tell me, if this is the sort of life that you want for yourself?"
osiris
Major

Post by osiris »

XInrichus shook his head. "Ah certainly not. The cruelty hardened him, but it made him into a cruel man himself. He learned ruthlessness from the most ruthless of all." XInrichu accepted the book happily, "Thank you. I am acquainted with the general story of Qin Shi-Huangdi's life, but I did not know the full story."

Xinrichu paused and frowned pensively. He disliked the idea of the tutor, but he understood the man's point. Initially XInrichu chose light words to avoid the natural heaviness and sadness of the discussion but this time he made no such effort. "Perhaps humble is a better word...Well anyhow, I am not concerned with my own education. In fact I am grateful that I am blessed with knowledge and a semblance of family, but currently, humble or not, my name holds little more than shame, and I must do something to change that. Unlike Qin Shi Huang I am rather set on ensuring I avoid the sordid practices that brought my own father to his early demise." He paused and gave a tentative smile, as if after leaving the bad subject, the smile might fade at any moment, "Though I am looking for the right fellow to serve, but right now no one has distinguished themselves greatly to me. Many are claiming cities, but I see little reason to trek thousands of li to answer a flier or a rumor. Who knows how much of it is hearsay anyways."

Age 14
Zhou Kahn
Officer

Post by Zhou Kahn »

Zu nodded at his words, feeling better about the situation she had put herself in. He wasn't angry, which was good. Certainly a little research into the man or the library itself would have been a better option than simply being suspicious. However, it was past, and hearing him speak, she looked around then. She had been so focused on finding the man and apologizing, she hadn't even taken a second to look around. Taking the invitation to do so now, she was more than impressed, and quite overwhelmed. The library in Qi was nothing like this place, the old texts about battles and craft, the newer stories to entertain the populace.... There was just so many of them! Her hands suddenly itched, and she rubbed her fingertips into her palms to try to get rid of the feeling of wanting to search through and find all that the library had to offer. She turned to the scholar after a moment, a genuine smile on her lips as she spoke.

Mai Zu: "This is really an amazing place! I have to admit, most of my life has been spent in small country villages, and I don't know a whole lot about this place in general."

She eyed some of the closer books then, speaking again.

Mai Zu: "An almost endless supply of knowledge..."

She turned back to him again, a smile on her lips and a shine in her eyes.
Mai Zu
Mai Zu's Shop of Wonder