Han Roleplay Thread

Moderator: Game Masters

Choso
Coral Serpent

Re: Han Roleplay Thread

Post by Choso »

The Inn keep pointed to a table, where Cheng Dang was having a game of Go with a young man dressed in semi elegant robes an envoy of someone perhaps.

At a glance it appeared the younger man was winning, but placing his next piece the slightest smirk could be seen on Cheng Dang’s face. The noble looked at the board closely and then back at Cheng Dang, his face emotionless and composed he simply bowed and place some taels next to an already substantial stack. Then leaving going about his business.

Cheng Dang laughed and took a drink from his trusty canteen. One of the guards tapped Cheng Dang’s shoulder the guard’s eyes fixed on the new visitor. A man obviously a soldier of some kind, judging by how fine his almost regal appearance indicated he held currently or in the past a decent rank.

It was clearly the man he hoped to meet during his time in Han. Cheng Dang nodded at the guard who then proceeded to the man.

I am a soldier in the employ of Cheng Dang, are you Master Yue Dingtian?
JG Chan
Officer

Post by JG Chan »

Chinka

"I am," the older man replied to the soldier with a simple nod. Having seen the conclusion of the game, it seemed that Cheng had a good sense of strategy, though the presence of money at the table drew a brief disapproving look from Yue's eyes. This quickly disappeared as he walked over to Cheng Dang's table and bowed properly. "Duke Cheng," he greeted in a formal tone. "I am Yue Dingtian, and I have come as requested."
Yue Dingtian 岳顶天 (60)
84-86-45-60-38
Charge, Dash II, Discipline II, Faze II, Instructor II, Intimidate, Qiangshu, Raid II, Wall
Tu Shu'er 屠淑儿
Choso
Coral Serpent

Post by Choso »

Cheng Dang bowed

For the first time in awhile I am in truly in the presence who needs to use no formalities with me Master Yue. I urge you to speak freely. Men of your caliber are few and far between many died in vain fighting for Qin, I had the good fortune not to be at Julu. How about yourself how have you manage to remain in such good health through the Unification, and downfall of the First Empire.
JG Chan
Officer

Post by JG Chan »

Chinka

"I'm afraid that would not be appropriate, Duke Cheng," Yue protested with respectful seriousness. "Proper etiquette is an exercise in discipline; it reminds the speaker of the importance of humility and restraint, and honours the accomplishment of the addressed in reaching their station...as well as reminding them of the grave responsibilities thereof. In these times especially, when power is not easily attained, respect is due to those who have done so."

"As for myself, my accomplishments are not worth mentioning. I am native to the lands of Shu after their annexation by Qin. I have studied military history and served in the Qin armies during the early campaigns against Han, Wei, and Chu." His face darkened. "For various reasons, I eventually retired to my home before the unification of the Empire, and have remained there since. That I am still hale and fit is merely Heaven's blessing."

"But I don't suppose the Duke had hoped to meet me today simply to discuss history?" he asked matter-of-factly upon finishing his answer.
Yue Dingtian 岳顶天 (60)
84-86-45-60-38
Charge, Dash II, Discipline II, Faze II, Instructor II, Intimidate, Qiangshu, Raid II, Wall
Tu Shu'er 屠淑儿
Choso
Coral Serpent

Post by Choso »

Cheng Dang smiled, at the directness of the man. Something he valued he hated nothing more than to dodge answers and dance the politcal game. He preferred his world to be black and white.

History is an important aspect drawing on my previous experience has been my greatest asset. But yes I did not request to meet with you to reminisce about things past. In fact today is about the future. Wei is a prosperous province with many facilities dedicated to providing our army with the best equipment and training available. I have laid a strong foundation but there is another thing I need to ensure the continued safety, and growth of Wei. That is a competent commander. My skill on the battlefield is not to be underestimated however I cannot be everywhere at once. Master Yue your return from retirement did not go unnoticed I have been searching for a capable man to lead the armies of Wei, and I feel you are more than qualified.

Cheng Dang paused for a moment having made his drawn out speech. Sipping out of his bottle.

Excuse me for my directness, but I’ve babbled about what I need, tell me what you desire to accomplish? I may not be King of Jiaodong, but I do have considerable resources that could be used to futher your ambitions. Should you decide to lend your support to my cause.
JG Chan
Officer

Post by JG Chan »

Chinka

Yue nodded. "If I may be frank, then...my aim, perhaps like many others, is to find a lord worthy of serving and colleagues worthy of working with. I believe that discipline is the path to lasting peace; power and resources are circumstancial, but it is the mettle of the lord himself that determines what will become of his vision. Those who use what they have wisely and without waste, act responsibly, keep order among their ranks, and know when to advance, retreat and remain still will emerge victorious. Whether such a road must necessarily lead to unification or not is unimportant, but I believe that the man or woman who knows these things will be the one I can devote myself to."
Yue Dingtian 岳顶天 (60)
84-86-45-60-38
Tu Shu'er 屠淑儿
Choso
Coral Serpent

Post by Choso »

Cheng Dang understood the wisdom of the man's words. He was after all in the same position himself. However Cheng Dang believed in his ideals and was willing to sacrifice anything for them. His stubborness lead to defeat in Ping yang. Cheng Dang was far from the man described, but after the loss of his oldest friend he had sobered slightly. Methodically putting together his plans, reorganizing his army, setting aside resources to send them into combat as the best equipped force. Perhaps Cheng Dang wasn't currently the man Yue Dingtian was looking for. But perhaps one day.

Master Yue, I am no fool. Each setback and accomplishment that's happened has only increase my guile. Still the man you describe is a man of a truly Lordly Caliber. I would be lying if I told you if I believe I am such a man, all I can say is like any other person, "A work in progress". Though I'm not currently the lord you describe, perhaps one day, but certainly not now.

Cheng Dang bowed

I hope one day that our paths will cross and I'd have more to offer than kind words and good intentions. However if you cannot find a lord worthy of your expectations, I will have a place in Wei and I have no intention of disappointing.
JG Chan
Officer

Post by JG Chan »

Chinka

Hearing Cheng Dang's words, Yue allowed himself a faint smile. "Perhaps you are right, Duke Cheng...though as Sunzi taught, one who understands one's own shortcomings is one step closer to victory. In that sense, I am grateful to have been invited to meet you today. I will be traveling a little from now on to see what the land has become during my seclusion, but we may indeed meet again some day."

The old soldier bowed as well before taking his leave, a faint glimmer in his eyes despite his unchangingly stern expression.
Yue Dingtian 岳顶天 (60)
84-86-45-60-38
Tu Shu'er 屠淑儿
Choso
Coral Serpent

Post by Choso »

Cheng Dang bowed honored to met a relic from a time past, much like he was. He was certain for better or worse this would not be the last time the two generals would cross paths.
Taishi Ci
Major

Post by Taishi Ci »

The Han King went silent for a moment as his gaze darted accross the faces in the room as he considered the moment and it's implications. Returning his gaze to the King of Nanyang he spoke evenly. "I suppose that depends on you Baocen Peng. Do you wish to be a King or a pawn?"
"I am both of these things, but I was a pawn before I was a King," Baocen Peng replied. "I serve the King of Chu because his victories have shown him to have the Mandate of Heaven. Though in this instance I have suffered a reverse, I would continue to support him so long as Heaven shows its favor.

"If you would kill me, then do so. But if you seek to have me be your own pawn, then I suggest you ransom me back to my forces. I had received word of a great battle in Chu, just before I ordered the retreat. If the King of Chu crushes the host that has been arrayed against him, then I can hardly turn away from his commands. But should he be defeated, I would have to consider other forces to align myself with."
Baocen Peng (75) 73-20-88-60-49
Confuse II, Jeer II, Poison II, Scout II, Scout I